Code of Conduct

Default Do you ever finish a bottle?

Question for those who've been at the "perfume hobby" longer than I am -- do you ever finish a bottle?

How often does this happen?

Or do you just sell or trade away instead?

Default Re: Do you ever finish a bottle?

Of course it varies person to person depending on application habits (one or two sprays vs 6+ for some folks) but as a collection increases the number of finished bottles decreases. For example, last year I used somewhere in the neighborhood of 2.5 to 3 oz total. It put a noticeable dent in my Terre d'Hermes as I wore it more often but spread throughout my collection it will take another 15 years at this rate to finish them all off.

Blog Entries

I used to find that my bottles went bad before they were finished. So I started keeping them away from heat and light, and since then I haven't had a single one go bad.

I also haven't finished a single one yet, because the rotation is so large. But I'm not "saving" the fragrances-- I do use them freely. So I suppose eventually I will finish a bottle.

I find that I have many bottles that seem bottomless for a long period of time, then all of a sudden they tend to empty in 3's and 4's!

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    I find that I have many bottles that seem bottomless for a long period of time, then all of a sudden they tend to empty in 3's and 4's!
    When I start finishing off my current collection this is what is going to happen. I've finished off a few but it has been a while, and when you rotate bottles they often form groups with different amounts of liquid. I have a while before I finish another bottle though. Over a year for sure.

At the beginning of this hobby I would go through two or three bottles a year, but I have not finished a bottle in over two years. My rotation is over about 60 bottles, so the main challenge is ensuring that the quality of each bottle is maintained. If I do get close to finishing a bottle, I will ensure that I do not finish it completely until I have purchased a new one. That way I can keep the dregs as a reference scent, in the same way I would a sample.

The way I'm going, I'll be done with my 4oz Gendarme EDT in 6 weeks

I'll say this much. My very first bottle was in the 1.7 oz. This was the only cologne I used. And it took me 2 and half years to finish it after using it every single day.

ha! sounds like chances are not good!

Well I don't have an extensive collection as of yet. I am super picky and can't find too many true loves (still sampling to find more) and will go through what I have rather quickly I'm afraid. I use it all the time and reapply when it starts to fade. I even put more on before bed of something light and comforting (like Parfum Sacre)so I'm sure I'll annihilate what I do have soon.

I only finish off favorites, ones that I have a back-up bottle or two of.
    I have gone through many bottles of Femme, Le Temps d'aimer, L'air du Temps, Farouche, Cœur Joie, Shalimar, L'heure Bleue, Dolce Vita, Dioressence, Cabochard, Je Reviens, Arpège , Pavlova, L'interdit (original), Le De, Lumière (original), Mystère, etc...
    I guess if I really love something I use it more often than others.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    The way I'm going, I'll be done with my 4oz Gendarme EDT in 6 weeks
    So there is hope!

Since i started this hobby , i have only finished about 6-8 samples and my collection is over 50 , with most being in the 100 ml range... so at this rate maybe in 40 years...

I've never finished a bottle in my life

But I wouldn't worry about it - maybe you'll succeed where I didn't and only buy a few new bottles a year.
    Sales thread here

Dependent

with 100ml fahrenheit 6mths easily
    125ml LDIssey 4-6mths

that said i have a 100ml hugo that is a decade old, its was a limited ed grenade looking bottle that i got as a gift and still has about 1/3 left.

We have a thread for things we purchased... I think we should have one for things we finish. To me finishing something means it was used and enjoyed.

Not that I have finished any fragrance thing in years. Over the past 18 years I think I've finished less than a dozen bottles. Most of those were at a time when I only had one or two bottles and wore them until they were gone.

I've gotten a bit more relaxed about how much I apply though (I lived with an asthmatic who tolerated some fragrance but had trouble with large doses of it). And I'm trying to use even little decants freely. So maybe I'll finish something soon. I just keep telling myself that if I ever actually use something up I have permission to buy more. No matter how expensive, it's a great deal if I actually use it with any frequency.

Quote Originally Posted by kasae View Post
    We have a thread for things we purchased... I think we should have one for things we finish. To me finishing something means it was used and enjoyed.
    I think that will be a little used thread -- maybe once or twice a month :-)

I love finishing bottles, it feels like such an accomplishment. I tend to gravitate towards aquatics, ozonics, and citrus based fragrances that dont last as long as heavier ones (the california weather also contributes to this) and I spray heavily during the summer as longevity is diminished. Unless its an absolute favorite or one with nostalgic value, I wont replace it. Better to move on to other ones.

Quote Originally Posted by kess View Post
    So there is hope!
    That's what happens when you have to apply a dozen spritzes in a wearing. It's my work safe scent, so I wear it more than anything else. My 4oz Creeds won't be empty for decades at this rate.
    Last edited by adonis; 9th April 2009 at 05:56 AM.

Oh you'll eventually have several hundred bottles, quite a few in here have wound up with some fairly impressive piles. For a while, a few years at least, it will be a different scent a day but then as time goes by you'll find yourself reaching for a few old familiars..or a significant other will make it known they like this one or that one above all else or perhaps will even give you a few. Those are the ones you'll use up and buy again and again.

I replace my favs at least once a year. These are usually the ones that can be worn year long. I have those that I only wear during a particular season. So, I may not replace those too often.

I tend to have this wierd thing I do sometimes. I'll have a perfume that I love to wear but when my juice gets down to the very bottom of the bottle, I won't wear it because I don't want to run out of it. And the crazy thing is I know that I can buy another bottle, but for some reason I tend to babysit that last drop. It's even crazier because I can't smell it if I keep it in the bottle lol. So, I haven't figured that quirk out yet. I have had so many beautiful scents taken from me that I guess I'm afraid that once I spray that last little bit the frag will be gone forever lol. You know how they love to discontinue a frag.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Quote Originally Posted by Divatologist View Post
    I replace my favs at least once a year. These are usually the ones that can be worn year long. I have those that I only wear during a particular season. So, I may not replace those too often.

I tend to have this wierd thing I do sometimes. I'll have a perfume that I love to wear but when my juice gets down to the very bottom of the bottle, I won't wear it because I don't want to run out of it. And the crazy thing is I know that I can buy another bottle, but for some reason I tend to babysit that last drop. It's even crazier because I can't smell it if I keep it in the bottle lol. So, I haven't figured that quirk out yet. I have had so many beautiful scents taken from me that I guess I'm afraid that once I spray that last little bit the frag will be gone forever lol. You know how they love to discontinue a frag.
    Im the exact opposite. I love finishing or selling/swapping bottles. Im a bit of a minimalist, so im always looking to see how trim I can get my collection.

Last summer I was astonished when I realized that there only was as much left of Galimard Printems Japonais to fill a purse spray. So I think that this summer it will be finnished. Haven't finnished anything yet, I started wearing fragrande in May 2007.

I've eaten the worm.

I used to never finish bottles, I would get bored with a fragrance and buy a new one. Now that I have become really involved with this hobby, I take more time to pick out a fragrance before I buy it. I have finished quite a few bottles, and even have back ups of some.

It seems that for every sample I buy I end up buying 3 bottles (not really but you know what I mean)

I really dont think Im going to finish any bottle anytime soon
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

I think I have finished maybe one bottle in my life, Charlie, back when I was maybe 14-15 because I wore it almost exclusively. lol So in over 20 years, my collection has grown A LOT and I have not finished a bottle since. I wear something different almost everyday, so I don't see me emptying a bottle of anything anytime in the next decade. I haven't actually had a scent turn on me yet and I have some that are at least 20 years old, so at least that is a good thing.

I started February last year and I bought my 1 oz bottle of MI in August. I'm almost done with that. All the rest of my bottles have alteast 2/3rds of it left.

Back in the day when I was more zealous I would all ways be purchasing new juices and would never finish anything. Because the fragrance world is so depressing here in Bermuda I am finding myself finishing more bottles.

Best,

Otto
    Giving Life My All And Improving Every Day

Quote Originally Posted by kess View Post
    I think that will be a little used thread -- maybe once or twice a month :-)

It would have to be an annual thread, none of this monthly business.

i find i get through my weaker scents quicker. like my joop go, i only have about 5 ml left of a 100 ml bottle because i apply loads because it is barely noticable. that, black suede and hugo boss hugo are the only ones i have finished.

Quote Originally Posted by kasae View Post
    It would have to be an annual thread, none of this monthly business.
    that's a great idea

I'm working diligently to finish a bottle -- maybe in 2 or 3 months I'd be able to report it
    Last edited by kess; 10th April 2009 at 08:02 PM.

I've finished my last 4 bottles of Angel, but I've now got to the point that I can't smell it any more at all so I'm not wearing it at all for a good few months. Unfortunately that has meant that I've had to acquire a couple of dozen other scents to wear instead (just to make sure that this doesn't happen again of course!) which means that I'm not likely to get to the end of any of those soon.

I have finished at least several bottles of Yohji, and single bottles of L'Heure Bleue, YSL Nu EdP, SL Encens et Lavande, so yes, it can happen!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I don't finish bottles very often, it's true. I dread finishing them when I do. A year ago I finished a bottle of Habit Rouge and since then a bottle each of Guerlain's Vetiver and Diptyque's Opôné.

I'm relieved to say that I am a collector who finishes bottles, but I actually hate it when I do finish one.
    Last edited by DustB; 11th April 2009 at 05:16 AM.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

AromiErotici

Like many members here, I have a boatload of fragrances that are in the process of being worn.

This year I've managed to finish a 75ml bottle of Bijan and 30ml of Michael Kors. I haven't the slightest idea when I'll finish another.

I finished two travel sized bottles of ElizabethW Sweet tea a couple of years ago. Then I branched out and bought a zillion things, and I don't think I've finished anything bigger than 2ml decant since.

(I do kill off a bottle of scented bath oil, and two bottles of scented bath bubbles, roughly every month. But that's different.)

Crayfish

I've finished:

Essenza di Zegna
    Unforgivable
    Gucci Envy
    and Hollister Drift (which is going for over $100 on e-bay when people don't realize that Fierce is the same thing and 8oz of those are $40)
    I have: Davidoff Relax, Dior Homme Sport, Boss Selection, Azzaro Visit, and Creed MI (will provide # on bottle for verification) available.

Looking for the following: DG The One, Himalaya, YSL L'Homme, John Varvatos (not vintage) Canali For Men or Paypal.

Before I joined Basenotes I used to finish bottles, I only had a collection of three bottles or so at a time - and thought that they would "turn bad" if I didn't finish them within a year or two. Now I own a huge collection -and I think I will be buried with it.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaSa View Post
    Before I joined Basenotes I used to finish bottles, I only had a collection of three bottles or so at a time - and thought that they would "turn bad" if I didn't finish them within a year or two. Now I own a huge collection -and I think I will be buried with it.
    Haha, same story here.. Though, now the collection is getting bigger and bigger.
    unico grande amore.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Wüst View Post
    Haha, same story here.. Though, now the collection is getting bigger and bigger.
    I wont be surprised if soon you get urself a cooler to store them

I recently finished a bottle of Salvador Dali Rubylips 100ml. I have have been using it as a room freshener. And I have been generous with the spraying. My room does smell good. Other than that, I don't see myself finishing any other bottles in my wardrobe.

The levels in many of mine drop noticeably because of wearing AND sharing

I now use travel size reusable applicators to help speed the process
    I find it fantastic and I smell good ALL DAY!!
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Great question! I only finish some, others tend to sit there and go off. Green Irish Tweed was the last bottle I finished and I kept the empty bottle so I could still pull the cap off and get a pick me up every now and then.
    Bijan, you are one of the greats!