Code of Conduct

Default Chanel 19 Vintage EDP question

Can anybody tell me what I should expect from vintage Chanel No.19 EDP? I have new EDT and vintage parfum, and both have alot of galbanum on top (the EDT more so). I just got some EDP, and everything about the bottle is pristine--cello wrapped, no leakage or evaporation, right color juice (golden). I get absolutely no galbanum, but it has plenty of iris and aldehyde. Is it supposed to be this way? Nothing seems off about it at all, except that it is not what I was expecting!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Chanel 19 Vintage EDP question

Mine is super dry & smoky to start. Not much galbanum. It is more about the rooty iris, I'd say.

I sprayed it on paper first...now sprayed it on skin.

Top notes are incredibly soapy, but I agree it does seem dry. I don't detect any smokyness, but that could be a difference in our perceptions, too. There is alot of rooty, iris, I agree--powdery and rooty but not on the verge of being carrot-like. I also smell the rose, and the effect is quite dusty due to the iris.

I'll write more if it develops...thanks for the input kumquat!

Basenotes Institution

Gosh it sounds wonderful. I've always had a hard time liking No. 19 EdT, but the EdP sounds like it's more my speed.

How powdery is it Asha? Is it leathery?

Blog Entries

Oh yeah! This one is all about development. In about 30 min it warms and envelopes you like a sumptuous fur coat. Silver fox.. I'm not into that sort of thing, but #19 feels like that to me.
    Last edited by kumquat; 9th April 2009 at 02:42 AM.

Mike, so far it is not overly powdery, which is quite nice. It is subtle and buttery, and the rose is more prominent without the galbanum. It is a delicate rose note with slight hints at what Coco achieves only much more quiet. No leather yet. Or should I say--any leather present is very subdued so far.

I only sprayed one spray on my hand--and up close it is rather hard to detect. This fragrance seems to be more about diffusion as I keep catching whiffs and thinking Mmmmmm.

But, but, but, I sure was expecting something really green! This is quite beautiful, but it seems like a totally different fragrance!

All your perceptions are right on the money Asha. It is a different fragrance in subtle respects and in many not so subtle respects. Less galbanum for sure, sweet fruity floral component like Coco, definitely iris, little to no leather, it doesn't dry down like the EDT or the parfum, definitely no castoreum, but the biggest difference is the defining medicinal edgy complex vetiver note that runs throughout the fragrance. That's what I find to be the main difference. Chanel No. 19 EDP has a strong vetiver component missing the in EDT and Parfum. I have been claiming over the years that the EDP is the best vetiver ever created for men, but no one seems interested.

I am very familiar with the parfum, EDT, and the EDP versions as I wear them regularly, Chanel No. 19 being one of my all time top 5 favorite fragrances. I have been meaning to do an in depth comparative analysis of all three formulations and the differences between the vintage EDT formulation and the current EDT formulation for some time now. I might have some time to get around to such a task sometime in May. When it is done, it will be done in your honor.

I am not sure I have the vintage version of the EDP. Can you tell me what distinguishes it from the current version?

scentemental
    Last edited by scentemental; 9th April 2009 at 01:07 PM.

Scentemental--well, I never tried the newer EDP. In fact...I didn't even know how OLD of a vintage I would be getting with this bottle. The inside of the box is gray, the juice is golden, all markings seem official. Perhaps it is an original bottle kept in cello all this time?

I don't smell vetiver, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. This is my first time trying it, so there is much to discover. I agree there is a slight medicinal edge, but it is much more subtle than the galbanum note in the modern EDT. I was thinking it might be the oakmoss.

I would love to read your analysis! I put a rather lengthy review up a while back, but it was only for the modern EDT.
    Last edited by Asha; 9th April 2009 at 04:26 AM.

Asha,

The color of the juice I have is closer to green as in this photo:

I'll send you a sample of my EDP so you can compare it with yours.

scentemental

I seem to remember a lot of talk about Chanel EDPs having different formulation than EDTs and extracts. The general feeling is that Chanel EDPs are not as good, while the opposite is true for Gurlains: the EDPs are better than EDTs.
    Evenstar

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post

Thank you. Auction has been duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    I seem to remember a lot of talk about Chanel EDPs having different formulation than EDTs and extracts. The general feeling is that Chanel EDPs are not as good, while the opposite is true for Gurlains: the EDPs are better than EDTs.
    True, although I think Coco EDP is rather good! On the other hand, I really dislike No.5 EDP.

I think the bottle I got is one of the older vintages, too, so there may be issues of old formulation AND physically older juice. I am not sure I like it as much as the really green smelling EDT or the heavier smelling parfum, but the Coco-like rose is really nice with the rooty iris, so I like it for its own merits!

Sorry for the flurry of posts. Do any of you ever get insights while brushing your teeth like I do? Must be when I least expect it.

This juice reminds me of a highly refined and immensely more subtle version of Estee Lauder Knowing. Rooty iris, liquor-like rose, green moss.

[QUOTE=scentemental;1482353][COLOR=Blue]All your perceptions are right on the money Asha. It is a different fragrance in subtle respects and in many not so subtle respects. Less galbanum for sure, sweet fruity floral component like Coco, definitely iris, little to no leather, it doesn't dry down like the EDT or the parfum, definitely no castoreum, but the biggest difference is the defining medicinal edgy complex vetiver note that runs throughout the fragrance. That's what I find to be the main difference. Chanel No. 19 EDP has a strong vetiver component missing the in EDT and Parfum. I have been claiming over the years that the EDP is the best vetiver ever created for men, but no one seems interested.

I am very familiar with the parfum, EDT, and the EDP versions as I wear them regularly, Chanel No. 19 being one of my all time top 5 favorite fragrances. I have been meaning to do an in depth comparative analysis of all three formulations and the differences between the vintage EDT formulation and the current EDT formulation for some time now. I might have some time to get around to such a task sometime in May. When it is done, it will be done in your honor.

Spot on! I first met the EDP in 1975 and am astounded how well you put into words what I smell. I tried the EDT and found that it was like giving a child a tricycle with one wheel missing. It's all in the vetiver. Why they eliminated the nearly antiseptic yet exquisite presentation of vetiver escapes me.
    Don a wig of larks and fly!

hello,
    Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post
    The color of the juice I have is closer to green as in this photo:

my bottle of EDP is much more yellow in color than the one in your photo.

i suspect mine is from the first formulation of EDP, since there's a note included that states the EDP No.19 is something new. the box does not feature any ingredient listings. it is 100 ml, no spray, heavy glass stopper. the paper from the box has turned (?) yellowish.

i haven't tried it yet.

i also got an 15ml refill bottle of pure perfume from the same store. you spritz it on, let it develop for a while, and then... it's the best thing on earth.

i can only hope this EDP is similar!

OK, I got the "green juice" today from eBay. Much heavier on the galbanum than my "yellow juice" version. Both really highlight the rose note, more than the EDT or parfum. I have not yet worn the newer one on skin, but will soon!

The newer version smells much stronger and more penetrating. I really appreciate the softness of the older one, now--it is like a completely different fragrance, so pretty in its own way. But I also love the GREEN of the newer formulation, and this is more what I was expecting from the EDP.

Asha,

There should be a very faint 4-digit number at the back close to the base of the bottle. Since it is a sealed bottle the number on the jar should match the one etched at the bottle of the box.

If you type in the number in here:
    http://datecalculator.googlepages.com/englishhomepage

The webpage would show how old the perfume is. It works for all codes except for perfumes that are made in the past year or so (as I think the website hasn't been updated). Lots of the sealed box Chanel sold on eBay were made within the last 2 years so I guess your bottle isn't really vintage but I might be wrong.
    Last edited by malabah; 2nd May 2009 at 03:29 AM.

Thanks for the tip! 3 out of 5 different No.19 bottles I have do not have the batch code. My two parfums don't, and the older, golden colored EDP does not. The EDP is the only one that seems out of place, but nothing about the packaging nor the quality of the product makes me think it is a fake. It just does not seem to be the same as the others in the line. The iris and rose are quite lovely, and everything about the packaging would be too expensive to duplicate. Also, the box is somewhat yellowed, so it is definitely an older version of some kind.

What if it was a prototype? That would be cool

Smile Re: Chanel 19 Vintage EDP question

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    Thanks for the tip! 3 out of 5 different No.19 bottles I have do not have the batch code. My two parfums don't, and the older, golden colored EDP does not. The EDP is the only one that seems out of place, but nothing about the packaging nor the quality of the product makes me think it is a fake. It just does not seem to be the same as the others in the line. The iris and rose are quite lovely, and everything about the packaging would be too expensive to duplicate. Also, the box is somewhat yellowed, so it is definitely an older version of some kind.

What if it was a prototype? That would be cool
    To be honest at first glance I think the box looks a bit faked but after scrutinising the fonts for a long while I come to the conclusion that I can't tell whether it is fake or real. Have you compared your No19 to those in stores? Like you said if the smell is good it should be fine.

The golden colored EDP has a lot of very expensive packaging--raised lettering, foil stamping, printing on the inside of the box, dove-gray colored insert. The bottle itself has the exact same mechanism as my newer EDP spray. The bottom of the bottle is silkscreened, not an adhesive sticker, and it does not scratch off. The bottle had never been sprayed. Even though I was expecting something very green smelling, the fragrance itself still has the style of a Chanel scent. I asked the seller about it, and she said her boyfriend bought her 2 boxes years ago, but she never liked No.19 and never opened them. The yellowing on the boxes is indicative that they may indeed be older.

I wonder if it is worth it to try and fake No. 19, lol. But in fact, the fragrance smells of a high quality vintage fragrance, so I don't know what other conclusions I can come to right now!
    Last edited by Asha; 2nd May 2009 at 04:06 AM.