Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Battle of The Weak

Chanel Pour Monsieur, Clinique Happy Men and Eau Sauvage, all greatly loved here on basenotes..two are considered classics..but they have one common trait...sillage and longevity are weak. Although some members have mentioned that the longevity on all three are superb.

Personally for me in terms of longevity, longest to weakest are CPM>>>Happy>>>Eau Sauvage. Sillage wise, Happy>>>CPM>>>Eau Sauvage. I love all three though but at times when i'm out and about its disappointing that no one can actually knows i'm wearing these three superb frags because of the subtle sillage of all three. If only the sillage was better..

So fellow members what are your opinions ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Battle of The Weak

I personally wouldn't put Happy in the same class as CPM and ES... not that it's bad, it's just not that level of "classic".

I've recently began to appreciate that not all fragrance require monster sillage and there is something to be said for subtlety. You can't wear sillage bombs to the office! Longevity of older fragrance just isn't what it is today - that's true, but one can always take a travel-sprayer with you and reapply whenever you want, and without big sillage reapplying isn't a big deal. It's a trade off - great fragrance, not great longevity.

Post Thanks / Like

ditto
    Perfume noob

Post Thanks / Like

No offense, but how the hell did Happy make the cut to be compared with the others?
    It is like asking: Out of these three cars; Rolls Royce, Maserati and Kia, which is the preferred choice?
    I worked for Clinique (few years back) briefly and every time a guy sprayed Happy, well, I would die inside just a little. I would also fantasize about smelling Eau Sauvage instead.

Please find a third contender worthy of the battle.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Post Thanks / Like

I don't care all that much for the two "classics" and haven't owned either one for years now but have found a workaround for Happy's dodgy longevity issues. It really does benefit from use of its ancillary products like the after shave balm and shower gel. I even gave their deodorant stick a try but found that the scented oil evaporated out of the deodorant solid even faster than the edt does from your skin. It also helps to give the fabric of your shirt or t-shirt a shot or two before heading out.

Post Thanks / Like

My opinion is that if you want a long lasting citrus scent (as opposed to the longer lasting citrus-woody scents), you really have to hunt to find the ones that last, and test before you buy. I remember early on here posting that one of my biggest disappointment was with the longevity of otherwise good scents like Eau Sauvage, YSL Pour Homme and L'Eau Par Kenzo.

My classier longer lasting citus scents are Eau de Rochas Homme, Aqua Di Portofino, Art Of Shaving Lemon Essential Oil and the discontinued Biotherm Aqua Fitness (smells like Aqua di Selva but lasts longer). I'd throw in Aqua Di Parma Colonia Assoluta as well, if I owned it.
    Renato

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    I personally wouldn't put Happy in the same class as CPM and ES... not that it's bad, it's just not that level of "classic".

I've recently began to appreciate that not all fragrance require monster sillage and there is something to be said for subtlety. You can't wear sillage bombs to the office! Longevity of older fragrance just isn't what it is today - that's true, but one can always take a travel-sprayer with you and reapply whenever you want, and without big sillage reapplying isn't a big deal. It's a trade off - great fragrance, not great longevity.
    nothing more to add.

other than that Happy isnt and will nvr be a "classic", its a pop juice, i use it for sports, and my ES for indoor functions

Post Thanks / Like

I much prefer Eau de Rochas pour Homme and Ricci pour Monsieur to YSL pour Homme. The only reason why I still hang on to the latter is longevity. It can happen that I smell YSLpH on my shirt the next day even. I am surprised that it's tenacity failed on you, Renato.
    Last edited by narcus; 9th April 2009 at 07:32 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    I much prefer Eau de Rochas pour Homme and Ricci pour Monsieur to YSL pour Homme. The only reason why I still hang on to the latter is longevity. It can happen that I smell YSLpH on my shirt the next day even. I am surprised that it's tenacity failed on you, Renato.
    Hi Narcus,
    YSL PH definitely is poorly lasting on my skin - disappearing in two hours - which was a shame as I really liked it. That's why I like Aqua di Portofino, it smells very similar to YSL PH and the EDT has great lasting power, while the EDP version lasts twice as long again.
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brielle87 View Post
    No offense, but how the hell did Happy make the cut to be compared with the others?
    It is like asking: Out of these three cars; Rolls Royce, Maserati and Kia, which is the preferred choice?
    I worked for Clinique (few years back) briefly and every time a guy sprayed Happy, well, I would die inside just a little. I would also fantasize about smelling Eau Sauvage instead.

Please find a third contender worthy of the battle.

Brielle, as a preface, let me add that my this reply is NOT an attack and also is NOT intended as a flame/flamebait.. and as I type this I address the others too who've posted concerning "classics" in reference to the 3 scents the OP has named above.

Firstly, I don't see where the OP has classified the Clinique Happy as a "classic"? He said of the 3 he listed, 2 are classics and i'm going to assume he means the CPM and Eau Sauvage, rightfully so at that.

Secondly, just one read of the OP's post makes it perfectly clear that he isn't comparing/classifying those 3 scents on a "classic" scale, but on a scale of longevity/projection... which also means that any (and I mean ANY) scent(s) could be included in that sort of a comparison. I could compare a Lutens, a Profumum and a CK scent in terms of longevity/sillage but apparently (and commonsensically) it's abundantly comprehensible that it's not the brand/brand definition or category(drugstore/designer/niche)/quality of ingredients et al i'm comparing... but i'm comparing the sillage/projection ONLY. For Example : A bargain bin scent like Bogart PH can give me longevity/projection in a vastly greater measure than Profumum Fiori d'Ambra can.. but that doesn't mean i'm classifying Bogart PH to be in the same league as Profumum.

Thirdly, I sincerely believe no-one (NO-ONE) should dictate whatsoever, what scent the other should wear, not in real life.. much less on a discussion board. The OP came here asking for opinions, not advice on what is a classic and what's not... if he has correctly classified the CPM and ES as "classics" then he already knows the deal.

Lastly, whatever happened to just answering the OP's question? We should correct him in places where he's wrong, but he isn't wrong ...and all the "mentoring" isn't needed. It's what I call unnecessary complication of simple matters.

I must reiterate, this isn't meant to be an attack on anyone or a flame.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JoNnY 4 View Post
    Chanel Pour Monsieur, Clinique Happy Men and Eau Sauvage, all greatly loved here on basenotes..two are considered classics..but they have one common trait...sillage and longevity are weak. Although some members have mentioned that the longevity on all three are superb.

Personally for me in terms of longevity, longest to weakest are CPM>>>Happy>>>Eau Sauvage. Sillage wise, Happy>>>CPM>>>Eau Sauvage. I love all three though but at times when i'm out and about its disappointing that no one can actually knows i'm wearing these three superb frags because of the subtle sillage of all three. If only the sillage was better..

So fellow members what are your opinions ?
    It seems to confirm that either our skins or our perceptions as humans differ widely. I think Luca Turin has argued that the whole skin-type debate is not based on fact... but for me Eau Sauvage is quite lasting, as are the others (sillage is another issue). Citrus oils are fleeting by nature, but there are evidently ways of making them last better by fixation or clever blending with other materials. Experiment until you find one that works for you, or, as suggested, reapply from a travel atomizer. I'd check out M. Balmain, for one.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Post Thanks / Like

People...i never considered Happy as a classic..it will never be because its so synthetic..so pls stop attacking me...read properly first...title is Battle of The Weak...not Battle of The Classics. I own all three frags and love them but just a bit disappointed with the longevity and sillage. All i wanted was to have an open discussion and feedback on the longevity and sillage of those frags.

I do own YSL PH Haute Concentration...agree strong sillage and good longevity but i think i need some time to appreciate the frag..the herbs just don't go down too well with me..smells a bit old and musty to me...but i'm not giving up on it and hopefully i'll love it in the future.

I went for a job interview just now. I wore CPM...and it worked perfectly..i noticed some sillage for about 2-3 hrs after that it became a close to skin scent..longevity was better about 4-5 hrs maybe more. Other guys at the job interview were wearing some aquatic frag that was too overpowering.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post
    Brielle, as a preface, let me add that my this reply is NOT an attack and also is NOT intended as a flame/flamebait.. and as I type this I address the others too who've posted concerning "classics" in reference to the 3 scents the OP has named above.

Firstly, I don't see where the OP has classified the Clinique Happy as a "classic"? He said of the 3 he listed, 2 are classics and i'm going to assume he means the CPM and Eau Sauvage, rightfully so at that.

Secondly, just one read of the OP's post makes it perfectly clear that he isn't comparing/classifying those 3 scents on a "classic" scale, but on a scale of longevity/projection... which also means that any (and I mean ANY) scent(s) could be included in that sort of a comparison. I could compare a Lutens, a Profumum and a CK scent in terms of longevity/sillage but apparently (and commonsensically) it's abundantly comprehensible that it's not the brand/brand definition or category(drugstore/designer/niche)/quality of ingredients et al i'm comparing... but i'm comparing the sillage/projection ONLY. For Example : A bargain bin scent like Bogart PH can give me longevity/projection in a vastly greater measure than Profumum Fiori d'Ambra can.. but that doesn't mean i'm classifying Bogart PH to be in the same league as Profumum.

Thirdly, I sincerely believe no-one (NO-ONE) should dictate whatsoever, what scent the other should wear, not in real life.. much less on a discussion board. The OP came here asking for opinions, not advice on what is a classic and what's not... if he has correctly classified the CPM and ES as "classics" then he already knows the deal.

Lastly, whatever happened to just answering the OP's question? We should correct him in places where he's wrong, but he isn't wrong ...and all the "mentoring" isn't needed. It's what I call unnecessary complication of simple matters.

I must reiterate, this isn't meant to be an attack on anyone or a flame.
    Thanks for the support. And thanks for properly reading my post before replying.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noirwest View Post
    I don't care all that much for the two "classics" and haven't owned either one for years now but have found a workaround for Happy's dodgy longevity issues. It really does benefit from use of its ancillary products like the after shave balm and shower gel. I even gave their deodorant stick a try but found that the scented oil evaporated out of the deodorant solid even faster than the edt does from your skin. It also helps to give the fabric of your shirt or t-shirt a shot or two before heading out.
    The ancillary products i have are the shower gel and antiperspirant stick..they did increase sillage and longevity but the difference was not really great though. But how do you stand the antiperspirant stick? it gets all flaky and stains the clothes. The shower gel is great though..one of the best i ever used.

Post Thanks / Like

Their deodorant wasn't one of their better offerings, was it? I tossed mine after a few uses and would imagine most who bought it did the same. It sells for a few dollars at the Clinique outlet but mostly collects dust. The shower gel as you noted, though is superb.

AromiErotici

R de Capucci is one I like, but doesn't last more than 90 minutes on me after HEAVY sprays.