Code of Conduct

Default Report it - don't perpetuate it.

Hi Everyone,

I do not often post, but I do feel the need, every now and then, to make a case in defence of the team that is behind Basenotes and in defence of the thousands of members that regularly use the site in a respectful and courteous fashion.

Grant and I have spent most of our morning discussing an issue that has been created on the boards. We both work about 16 hours a day on this site on a regular basis. You can imagine how much there is to do and up until I recently gave up work to help out, Grant was doing everything. We have an amazing team of freelance writers that we are very privileged to work with and we have a very generous team of moderators who, it is no exaggeration to say, keep these boards open with their volunteer efforts.

Beyond that it's us. Two people working from our kitchen table trying to balance the ever-expanding website with our two under fives. Sound like I am complaining? Absolutely not! My contact with Basenotes has led me to met some fascinating people, undertake incredible challenges and given me an opportunity to be very creative. It is however hard work and very long hours. Basenotes has become like a third child in our house and needs more nurturing and attention than the other two put together. Grant is currently coding the website (always, always coding!) to reflect the change in size and to introduce some new features that we are very, very excited about. He never has less than about 400 emails per day, almost single-handedly maintains the 12,000 entry directory and has approved all 40,000 reviews himself. I am currently writing up my experiences of two fragrance fairs in Europe to open a discussion about the future of niche perfumery, organising three separate BN events, one press conference, co-ordinating at least ten different pieces of editorial, meeting with people in the industry to find new ways in which Basenotes can work together with key players, and responding to my own email mountain. Bored yet? Sorry, I'll get to the point which is this: please try to imagine how it feels to spend 10 hours on a avoidable board issue when we have so many developments and upgrades to try to work on.

We want Basenotes to be informative, evolving and a good solid platform for the most important people in any industry - the consumer - to have a voice. We are not the only people that are passionate in this aim or sympathetic to the cause. Our moderators give their time freely. They are not 'professionals', they all have lives and jobs outside of these boards. It is no exaggeration to say that the moderating team keep these boards open. Without them the boards would need to close. There are some instances in which not everybody would concur that the right moderating stance has been taken - debate is a subjective, organic thing that grows and moves and it is difficult (and the death of creativity) to try to impose one opinion on how things should be discussed.

However we are needing to move towards this style of moderating more and more because of the incidents on the boards that go beyond passion and turn into offensive attacks on other members. It is incomprehensible to me that people should condescend or belittle one whose fragrance knowledge is less than another. Hands up all of those of you who were born with an inherent knowledge of all things olfactory? Hmmmm. Also, to attack the very people who keep the board open is a bizarre concept to me. Of course it is ok to express the opinion that a moderator was wrong in their decision or that another member has caused a problem for you - but not in a public way, not in an aggressive way and not in a way that is deliberately designed to cause offence.

We have a system on the boards for reporting posts. This system is utilised rarely in view of the amount of issues that we have been dealing with. The report post function is the correct way to deal with a post that has caused offence, broken the rules or is generally questionable. Publicly taking your issue to the boards is not. It cannot work in a community of this kind to allow that to happen.

In response to these issues I would welcome anybody's thoughts and opinions. In view of the possible sensitive nature of any responses please feel free to keep it off the boards and email me at danielle.cooper@basenotes.net. When Grant and I have had a look at any responses we will work with the moderating team and yourselves to find a way to tweak things so that the boards are an even more pleasant place to be. In the meantime using the report post system will go a long way to avoiding these issues and if an off-topic, offensive or aggressive post has been posted please do not respond. It will only inflame the situation and create an even bigger issue. Thank you for your time and I hope to hear from many of you on this subject.

Dani

Default Re: Report it - don't perpetuate it.

Dani, thank you so much for all of the heart & hardwork your family pours into Basenotes. I can't imagine how time-consuming it must be to have to address everything that comes up during the course of just one day! Most of us treasure this site and community, and it pains me to hear about petty interpersonal things that add to your workload.

Quote Originally Posted by kissandmakeup View Post
    It is incomprehensible to me that people should condescend or belittle one whose fragrance knowledge is less than another.
    Thank you also for voicing this, because those condescending posts make me sad. Personal opinion & taste are one thing, but to disparage someone else's choices as being common or unenlightened is just... nasty.

All the best to you and Grant.

Tang
    Last edited by tang; 9th April 2009 at 02:20 PM.

Thank you for providing such a very informative forum which I am very privileged to be apart of.

I've learned a lot about perfumery and the perfume industry from this resource. I've never met a more kind, compassionate, creative, diverse, and above all patient group of individuals.
    "If a perfume stinks, it's a disaster when she turns off the light." - Jean-Paul Guerlain

Basenotes Institution

Thanks Dani & Grant - your hard work (and patience) is immensely appreciated.

...because of the incidents on the boards that go beyond passion and turn into offensive attacks on other members. It is incomprehensible to me that people should condescend or belittle one whose fragrance knowledge is less than another. ....Also, to attack the very people who keep the board open is a bizarre concept to me. Of course it is ok to express the opinion that a moderator was wrong in their decision or that another member has caused a problem for you - but not in a public way, not in an aggressive way and not in a way that is deliberately designed to cause offence.
    Other than spelling offense with a 'c' (), that hits it on the head for me.

Thank you for posting this, it needs to be restated (and enforced) on a regular basis as some people have short memories.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I guess I'm unclear as to what transpired recently as I just received a PM from bbBD today in response to my Sales thread, and I went to respond but could not because he was banned. Searched his recent posts and saw a number of posts that seemed to be condescending but nothing offensive to me at least. Normally, I wouldn't pry into this, but he was going to make a purchase and was also going to hook me up with a sample/source for discounted Lancome Cuir. Can somebody PM me privately as to what went down? Can't help but feel at a loss without bbBD on board.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

AromiErotici

Apparently I missed something on the board this week. WTH is going on?

Well, I hope a recent action of mine didn't cause any grief. On an off-topic board, someone recently posted something that I felt could be offensive to many. I said so, and the person graciously edited the post. I thanked him, and it seemed like the end of the matter. At the time, it seemed to be the efficient way to handle things, but now I see that I'd have been smarter to let a moderator deal with it. For one thing, I think I may have spoiled the fun for the "offending" person. If he's reading this, I hope he'll accept my apology for my impulsive and not very courteous reaction.

Thank you for this reminder, Dani, and for the peek behind the monitor at the amazing creation that is Basenotes!

Hey, it wasn't me this time I only belittle and chastise members in PM's It's the nature of the beast when cyberspace opens it's arms to forums and bulletin boards that exchange information, feelings, experiences, and sometimes frustration. There's going to be flaming and mud slinging anywhere you go, especially on the internet, where individuals are anonymous and feel the need to be offensive and get away with it except for being banned. Cybercowards and just plain mean people. I've been a member here only a short time and have observed very, very minimal disruptions in comparison to other forums. Martial Arts and Gun Club bulletin boards are brutal The moderators, admins, and veteran BN's in place now do a superior and highly effective job of governing this sacred website. So, that being said, use the report function or I'll come to your house and cause extreme discomfort

Kudos to Grant and Dani
    Last edited by silverbullet; 9th April 2009 at 06:06 PM.

Many, many thanks to Grant and Dani.
    People should realize that the administrators are busy, generous people. They have quite enough to do with normal activities, without cleaning up various slag-fests. We should be responsible adults, and conduct ourselves sensibly. Let's avoid deliberate provocation and ill-advised response. Use the appropriate channels and everyone benefits.
    Last edited by odysseusm; 9th April 2009 at 06:18 PM.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Thanks to everyone for the input. Certainly I do not wish to discuss publicly one particular incident or member. The initial post was just a reminder that perhaps the official channels are not as well-utilised as they could be. I will respond to anybody that wishes to ask me a question personally regarding any incidents on the site but I will not discuss individual members, because I do not think that it is respectful of their privacy to do so.

As a slight aside, if anyone ever does find that they are in the middle of a transaction/correspondence with a member who then becomes temporarily or permanently banned, please contact Grant or myself and we will be more than happy to pass on an email from you to said member.

I do understand that most of the users of this space are respectful and sensitive to the common aims of the forum and I thank each and every member that conducts themselves in this way. I should have said something to that end in my initial post and I apologise for the oversight - your contributions and continuing support are the lifeblood of the site.

And as to your good self, Tworoads, you say potato...

Thanks so much for all your work, Dani, and please convey warm wishes to Grant, as well. I love how you state your reasons for not reducing the mods to functionaries. I think the creativity and civility of the conversations here must be in part a reflection of the people that you and Grant are. I for one had always rolled my eyes at the notion of an "on-line community" until I found Basenotes. This actually is a community, though, and the patient and discerning balancing act between freedom and safety is handled really well, in my view, by you, Grant, and our very fine team of moderators. Thanks for sustaining such an enriching source of insight, good talk and useful info.

Thanks Dani for that....I have not been on Basenotes much recently and I just saw this thread.

For what you and Grant do is beyond any words...Seriously, we are truly blessed for the dedication and effort you give for this platform.

I am trying to make the London Gig in August....Fingers and toes are crossed...LOL

The very best to you and your family,

Otto
    Giving Life My All And Improving Every Day

Grant and I have spent most of our morning discussing an issue that has been created on the boards. We both work about 16 hours a day on this site on a regular basis... He never has less than about 400 emails per day, almost single-handedly maintains the 12,000 entry directory and has approved all 40,000 reviews himself.
    400 emails !! . I am very thankful for the dedication you both and the mods as well put into this site.

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    I guess I'm unclear as to what transpired recently as I just received a PM from bbBD today in response to my Sales thread, and I went to respond but could not because he was banned....
    ... Can't help but feel at a loss without bbBD on board.

That really is too bad. I really liked bbBD, a very helpful individual and a pretty cool guy.

Blog Entries

Just a quick note to say thank you for all the hard work. One of the things that I enjoy about Basenotes is that, unlike almost any other board I've seen anywhere on the internet, there are no flame-fests here.

And I appreciate the ammount of work that takes.

So, thanks!
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

I wanted to also express my appreciation for all of the hard work everybody does to make this such a wonderful community. Lots of great folks here.

Thanks Grant, Dani, all moderators, contributors, authors, and others!

I would like to issue a public apology to both the moderators, Grant and Dani, and my fellow basenoters for what I believe is my fault for posting a reply on a thread that I feel was woefully out of line and done in the spirit of anger. I responded (in the worst way) to another member's posted message directed at me without first thinking it through or choosing my words carefully and considerately. It was done in the heat of the moment and I am very ashamed of myself for letting my feelings out in such a disrespectful way and not thinking of how it might affect everyone who viewed it. I didn't think at the time to private message him without posting it on the thread, I simply clicked reply and vented without thinking at all first. I joined basenotes awhile ago but did not participate until recently, so I consider myself new at this. I had no idea about reporting posts or how to do that until after the fact. I live in a rural area in the middle of farmland and we handle things very differently here than I'm sure people do in bigger cities. I was taught to handle a problem myself directly without asking for anyone to intervene in a situation. I felt insulted and demeaned, and reacted accordingly. That is no excuse, I should have handled it better or ignored it. I am sorry to anyone who was troubled by what transpired or offended by my sarcasm. I enjoy Basenotes very much, and while I am new to the world of fragrance, I really feel I can learn from other members who have been so kind and generous with their time. I don't want to do anything to jeopardize being accepted here and have no desire to hurt or inconvenience anyone. So please accept my apology. Thank you for your time-Tarayvonne

Quote Originally Posted by TaraYvonne View Post
    So please accept my apology.
    Accepted!

You are one of us now for life!

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    Apparently I missed something on the board this week. WTH is going on?
    I agree, something definitely was going down, I have a feeling most transpired in PMs, though, and that's why some may be out of the loop here. Either way, I want to thank the mods, they are truly some of the best at what they do of any internet forum I have visited. Hopefully we can get back to a little normalcy on the boards sooner rather than later.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

TaraYvonne, don't beat yourself up. Im sure your perfectly-natural response was only a tiny part of what I imagine to have been a substantial amount of ammunition needed to see this ban realised.

Our mods and administrators (Grant, Dani) do a phenomenal (and at times, loveless) job! Thanks to all.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 10th April 2009 at 01:55 PM.

Hi, just wanted to add a quick note to say that none of this is directed at or the result of one particular incident. I am horrified that anyone thinks I may be 'calling them out' or referring to them in this thread! I just thought that a growing trend on the boards seemed to be forming and a reminder of the report post function and intended purpose of the community was in order - no offence or upset intended to any members at all! Thank you all for your consideration and support

Dani

Every time I see the title of this thread popping up because of a new post I'm forced to sing:

"Leeegalize it--Don't criiiiiiticize it!"
    Last edited by DustB; 10th April 2009 at 06:41 PM.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Thanks, Dani, for the thread. The hard work that both you and Grant undertake, to run Basenotes, is extremely appreciated.

Btw, is there any possibility of incorporating a report button/option into the general format of a forum post (maybe in the same way as the edit or quote buttons/options, in the bottom right-hand corner)? As well as being more visible, it may significantly reduce the number of public falling outs.
    Last edited by Trebor; 12th April 2009 at 05:09 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Trebor- Can you see the report symbol in the upper right hand corner of each post?

Ah, gotcha! My bad.

Heheh!
    Every time I see a post by Scentimus, my brain immediately sings "Movement of Jah People"

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Every time I see the title of this thread popping up because of a new post I'm forced to sing:

"Leeegalize it--Don't criiiiiiticize it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Heheh!
    Every time I see a post by Scentimus, my brain immediately sings "Movement of Jah People"

Matthew, that's genius. I don't think the song or Scentimus are ever going to be separate in my mind again.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Grant and Dani:

First let me thank you so much for bringing such pleasure and community into my life. I enjoy and appreciate the civility, supportiveness of posters and the eloquent reviews. While I don't want to be part of a board that is sniping and vituperative, I would, respectfully, request a bit more transparency (as our new president calls it).

In my training as a therapist, I learned how to help my clients distinguish between a complaint, which is about a behavior, and a criticism, which is directed at a person. It might be helpful to create a thread, location at your discretion, that would name the offending behavior (post), not the poster. We could then discuss. Just a suggestion.

Basenotes Institution

Basenotes is the most informative site and I enjoy it very much . I am relatively new to this site and to the huge world of fragrance ,accords etc etc and everyone here has been kind and friendly. I have learnt so much from here- reading old posts and threads, reviews- it's amazing. Dani and Grant - thank you for this wonderful resource - your hard work is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 24th April 2009 at 02:10 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I just wanted to post my appreciation for Dani, Grant, Basenotes, and the Basenotes community in general. I love visiting here.

I'm new but I visit this site at least once a day, and more.
    My best appreciation to you and Grant.
    V.
    Perfume noob

It is good to be reminded of the reporting function. I too was not aware that there was such a function and I am glad to know of it now. But, I would worry that reporting some criticism of me, or aggression towards me by another for whatever reason might cause more problems than the situation calls for. I am reminded of the most unpleasant experiences I've had in restaurants is when then waiter or server asks the question, "was everything wonderful???" with a smile, and I make the mistake of being honest and say, "well no my dinner was terribly prepared." Big mistake. The manager comes out to aggressively defend their staff and argue the point and everyone ends up much unhappier than if I had just let it go away.

I don't know why members are banned from this site. But, I definitely think that the "death penalty" of banishment is a very heavy handed remedy if somebody falls off the wagon. That is too bad that this has been resorted to and the punishment is too harsh in most cases. I hear bbBD is banned now and I remember when a couple of other very active members were banned - Everso and Supermarky - and I knew they could be highly critical of others. But, If someone like bbBd can be banned for having a bad day with someone, then it is probably too much punishment for whatever the crime. He was one of of our best members all the way around in behavior and conduct as far as I could tell.

It may be asking too much of people to not create controversy with their words while in discussions. I have watched many of our best members and moderators as well, be just too aggressive at times. But, no need to limit personal opinion or expression of passion. Personal insults are never proper, but surely it would take less time to simply ask the people to fix it or resolve through the pm process, instead of just banning them.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Part of the problem with members continually digging into and mulling over why a particular banning occured may be the lack of a definitive statement to the membership by the Moderator(s) or Administration as to cause. Otherwise, the sudden disappearance of a member, even one who has continually danced on the edge of the abyss, can cause a low rumble that seems to echo for a long time through the Basenotes PM system and will occasionally surface in threads.

Perhaps a Basenotes 'funeral service' in the form of a few paragraphs of selective disclosure by leadership is in order, to put the poor bugger rightfully to rest in the minds of us curious primates who don't and probably shouldn't have access to classified information.
    Last edited by kbe; 24th May 2009 at 02:16 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Basenotes Plus

Basenotes is my main reference point when mulling over a potential purchase and everyone concerned is doing a fantastic job. Healthy debate and difference of opinion makes for fascinating viewing as long as it is kept polite and non-offensive. This is a brilliant website - best wishes to all administrators and contributors..
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 26th May 2009 at 12:46 PM.

First of all let me thank you and tell you how much I appreciate all your efforts for this forum that is like a home to me.
    That is why I feel I should let you know here that I completely agree with kbe and Therese about the transparency.
    It is not really nice for members not to know what has happened after all.
    Furthermore, although I understand the need to keep the forum a place where nobody insults the other, I am not completely convinced that no discussion should ever take place about these problems publicly.

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    Part of the problem with members continually digging into and mulling over why a particular banning occured may be the lack of a definitive statement to the membership by the Moderator(s) or Administration as to cause. Otherwise, the sudden disappearance of a member, even one who has continually danced on the edge of the abyss, can cause a low rumble that seems to echo for a long time through the Basenotes PM system and will occasionally surface in threads.

Perhaps a Basenotes 'funeral service' in the form of a few paragraphs of selective disclosure by leadership is in order, to put the poor bugger rightfully to rest in the minds of us curious primates who don't and probably shouldn't have access to classified information.
    I disagree, it is none of our business as to why a member was banned. It is between the member and the moderators and no-one else.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Dependent

on the issue of transparency i guess its good to know how and why; and what warranted a ban. Im writing this only because i saw some members banned but had no clue at all since i was away for sometime. FOr me its basically knowing what limits can be tolerated. and it also serves as a good reminder not to follow in similar footsteps of banned members

I agree with matthewfoo. While the mods and admins do not have the obligation to explain the community anything of their actions, a bit of transparency would be nice.

On another leisure forum that I visit, there is a subforum for administrative/member purposes. When the admins ban someone, they'll report that in a thread on that subforum. Just the name and a very short reason why.

That's it.

And it's just reporting by the admins, because normal member cannot - and need not! - to post there, or discuss WHY a certain member was banned.

See it as a heads-up. Because everytime someone is banned now, inevitably there will be small discussion about it because of the surprise. If it was written somewhere who got banned, everyone would already know it.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    I agree with matthewfoo. While the mods and admins do not have the obligation to explain the community anything of their actions, a bit of transparency would be nice.

On another leisure forum that I visit, there is a subforum for administrative/member purposes. When the admins ban someone, they'll report that in a thread on that subforum. Just the name and a very short reason why.

That's it.

And it's just reporting by the admins, because normal member cannot - and need not! - to post there, or discuss WHY a certain member was banned.

See it as a heads-up. Because everytime someone is banned now, inevitably there will be small discussion about it because of the surprise. If it was written somewhere who got banned, everyone would already know it.
    Brilliant! This would be a great idea. I think it is inevitable to wonder why a member gets banned especially well respected or long-standing members. I often times will look through there recent posts trying to find something recent that could prompt a banning, and most times there is none, so it leads me to believe most of the offense is happening via PMs. This is a "community" and when someone mysteriously disappears, the community is going to wonder why. I feel that your idea perfectly satiates our curiosity while simultaneously avoiding unnecessary talk about it.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Yep, just a one-way service announcement so everyone knows what is going on.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Dependent

as Phil mentioned, its a brilliant idea stereotomy. I was a little surprised that i was posting on a thread where the starter was banned and i had no idea why. plus the thread seemed normal, and in offensive, which makes me wonder if he or she did something else wrong.

well we presented our proposition, so its up to the powers behind to consider

either way, i stil love BN
    Last edited by MFJ; 26th May 2009 at 11:49 PM.

From my observations, having a banned members list usually makes the trolls want to get banned for "Internet reputation". We have a fragrance community, there are dozens of trolling communities.

I think the current system works fine. Just PM a mod and they'll either say "none of your business" in a polite way or tell you. Bans here are usually private matters.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    From my observations, having a banned members list usually makes the trolls want to get banned for "Internet reputation". We have a fragrance community, there are dozens of trolling communities.

I think the current system works fine. Just PM a mod and they'll either say "none of your business" in a polite way or tell you. Bans here are usually private matters.
    Didnt think of that, but now that u mentioned it , i reckon maintaining status quo would be best. good that you brought it up

I understand the calls for transparency but a ban is between the moderators and the banned member and not a matter for the consumption of the hundreds of thousands of weekly visitors for the site - therefore we don't discuss reasons for bans in public.

As SirSlarty rightly said, feel free to email us using the contact link if you have any concerns orquestions about an individual.

It may seem sometimes odd why someone is banned. Especially if you are looking at what is shown in public on the site. --

Sometimes the reason for the ban is as a result of private messages, Sometimes the reason for a ban means certain posts have been deleted if they are offensive. Sometimes a ban is because a member is someone we have realised has been banned before -- is back on the site again. (one previously banned member has re-registered 25+ times).

I'm going to lock this thread now as it has veered far from the original topic.

Please email me if you have any concerns. My email address is grant.osborne@basenotes.net