Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Report it - don't perpetuate it.

I'm new but I visit this site at least once a day, and more.
    My best appreciation to you and Grant.
    V.
    Perfume noob

It is good to be reminded of the reporting function. I too was not aware that there was such a function and I am glad to know of it now. But, I would worry that reporting some criticism of me, or aggression towards me by another for whatever reason might cause more problems than the situation calls for. I am reminded of the most unpleasant experiences I've had in restaurants is when then waiter or server asks the question, "was everything wonderful???" with a smile, and I make the mistake of being honest and say, "well no my dinner was terribly prepared." Big mistake. The manager comes out to aggressively defend their staff and argue the point and everyone ends up much unhappier than if I had just let it go away.

I don't know why members are banned from this site. But, I definitely think that the "death penalty" of banishment is a very heavy handed remedy if somebody falls off the wagon. That is too bad that this has been resorted to and the punishment is too harsh in most cases. I hear bbBD is banned now and I remember when a couple of other very active members were banned - Everso and Supermarky - and I knew they could be highly critical of others. But, If someone like bbBd can be banned for having a bad day with someone, then it is probably too much punishment for whatever the crime. He was one of of our best members all the way around in behavior and conduct as far as I could tell.

It may be asking too much of people to not create controversy with their words while in discussions. I have watched many of our best members and moderators as well, be just too aggressive at times. But, no need to limit personal opinion or expression of passion. Personal insults are never proper, but surely it would take less time to simply ask the people to fix it or resolve through the pm process, instead of just banning them.

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

Part of the problem with members continually digging into and mulling over why a particular banning occured may be the lack of a definitive statement to the membership by the Moderator(s) or Administration as to cause. Otherwise, the sudden disappearance of a member, even one who has continually danced on the edge of the abyss, can cause a low rumble that seems to echo for a long time through the Basenotes PM system and will occasionally surface in threads.

Perhaps a Basenotes 'funeral service' in the form of a few paragraphs of selective disclosure by leadership is in order, to put the poor bugger rightfully to rest in the minds of us curious primates who don't and probably shouldn't have access to classified information.
    Last edited by kbe; 24th May 2009 at 02:16 PM.
    "Are you a god?"
    "No"
    "Are you a wizard?"
    "No"
    "Are you a man?"
    "No"
    "Then what are you?"
    "I am awake.."

Basenotes Plus

Basenotes is my main reference point when mulling over a potential purchase and everyone concerned is doing a fantastic job. Healthy debate and difference of opinion makes for fascinating viewing as long as it is kept polite and non-offensive. This is a brilliant website - best wishes to all administrators and contributors..
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 26th May 2009 at 12:46 PM.

First of all let me thank you and tell you how much I appreciate all your efforts for this forum that is like a home to me.
    That is why I feel I should let you know here that I completely agree with kbe and Therese about the transparency.
    It is not really nice for members not to know what has happened after all.
    Furthermore, although I understand the need to keep the forum a place where nobody insults the other, I am not completely convinced that no discussion should ever take place about these problems publicly.

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    Part of the problem with members continually digging into and mulling over why a particular banning occured may be the lack of a definitive statement to the membership by the Moderator(s) or Administration as to cause. Otherwise, the sudden disappearance of a member, even one who has continually danced on the edge of the abyss, can cause a low rumble that seems to echo for a long time through the Basenotes PM system and will occasionally surface in threads.

Perhaps a Basenotes 'funeral service' in the form of a few paragraphs of selective disclosure by leadership is in order, to put the poor bugger rightfully to rest in the minds of us curious primates who don't and probably shouldn't have access to classified information.
    I disagree, it is none of our business as to why a member was banned. It is between the member and the moderators and no-one else.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Dependent

on the issue of transparency i guess its good to know how and why; and what warranted a ban. Im writing this only because i saw some members banned but had no clue at all since i was away for sometime. FOr me its basically knowing what limits can be tolerated. and it also serves as a good reminder not to follow in similar footsteps of banned members

I agree with matthewfoo. While the mods and admins do not have the obligation to explain the community anything of their actions, a bit of transparency would be nice.

On another leisure forum that I visit, there is a subforum for administrative/member purposes. When the admins ban someone, they'll report that in a thread on that subforum. Just the name and a very short reason why.

That's it.

And it's just reporting by the admins, because normal member cannot - and need not! - to post there, or discuss WHY a certain member was banned.

See it as a heads-up. Because everytime someone is banned now, inevitably there will be small discussion about it because of the surprise. If it was written somewhere who got banned, everyone would already know it.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    I agree with matthewfoo. While the mods and admins do not have the obligation to explain the community anything of their actions, a bit of transparency would be nice.

On another leisure forum that I visit, there is a subforum for administrative/member purposes. When the admins ban someone, they'll report that in a thread on that subforum. Just the name and a very short reason why.

That's it.

And it's just reporting by the admins, because normal member cannot - and need not! - to post there, or discuss WHY a certain member was banned.

See it as a heads-up. Because everytime someone is banned now, inevitably there will be small discussion about it because of the surprise. If it was written somewhere who got banned, everyone would already know it.
    Brilliant! This would be a great idea. I think it is inevitable to wonder why a member gets banned especially well respected or long-standing members. I often times will look through there recent posts trying to find something recent that could prompt a banning, and most times there is none, so it leads me to believe most of the offense is happening via PMs. This is a "community" and when someone mysteriously disappears, the community is going to wonder why. I feel that your idea perfectly satiates our curiosity while simultaneously avoiding unnecessary talk about it.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Yep, just a one-way service announcement so everyone knows what is going on.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Dependent

as Phil mentioned, its a brilliant idea stereotomy. I was a little surprised that i was posting on a thread where the starter was banned and i had no idea why. plus the thread seemed normal, and in offensive, which makes me wonder if he or she did something else wrong.

well we presented our proposition, so its up to the powers behind to consider

either way, i stil love BN
    Last edited by MFJ; 26th May 2009 at 11:49 PM.

From my observations, having a banned members list usually makes the trolls want to get banned for "Internet reputation". We have a fragrance community, there are dozens of trolling communities.

I think the current system works fine. Just PM a mod and they'll either say "none of your business" in a polite way or tell you. Bans here are usually private matters.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    From my observations, having a banned members list usually makes the trolls want to get banned for "Internet reputation". We have a fragrance community, there are dozens of trolling communities.

I think the current system works fine. Just PM a mod and they'll either say "none of your business" in a polite way or tell you. Bans here are usually private matters.
    Didnt think of that, but now that u mentioned it , i reckon maintaining status quo would be best. good that you brought it up

I understand the calls for transparency but a ban is between the moderators and the banned member and not a matter for the consumption of the hundreds of thousands of weekly visitors for the site - therefore we don't discuss reasons for bans in public.

As SirSlarty rightly said, feel free to email us using the contact link if you have any concerns orquestions about an individual.

It may seem sometimes odd why someone is banned. Especially if you are looking at what is shown in public on the site. --

Sometimes the reason for the ban is as a result of private messages, Sometimes the reason for a ban means certain posts have been deleted if they are offensive. Sometimes a ban is because a member is someone we have realised has been banned before -- is back on the site again. (one previously banned member has re-registered 25+ times).

I'm going to lock this thread now as it has veered far from the original topic.

Please email me if you have any concerns. My email address is [email protected]
    Currently wearing: Gardénia by Chanel