SotY #2 Terre D’Hermes

Total Wears: 580 (1.0%)
    Number of weeks of at least one wear: 52
    Low week: 3 wears in week 34
    High week: 25 wears in week 13
    Average: 11.12 wears/week
    Number ones: 12
    Top 10’s: 44

Now we get to “The Scent Who Would Be King” at #2, Hermes Terre D’Hermes. Terre D’Hermes dominated the first six months of this experiment. So much so that I thought there was no chance it wouldn’t end up the #1 scent of the year. After the first six months it had a 101 wear lead on the second place scent. It had been in the top 10 all 26 weeks of the first six months, unlike any other scent. At that point Terre D’Hermes looked like the 900lb. gorilla in the room. Then we entered the second half of the year and as you can see by the graph Terre D’Hermes went into a slow slide that would culminate, in week 33, with it being out of the top 10 for the first time. It was still one of the most popular scents on Basenotes but it ceased being the biggest scent in the room and that would leave room for a different scent to take the title of SotY.
    Terre D’Hermes benefitted from being a universally praised scent at the time I started to track the community’s wears. It was well-reviewed, it was hailed as a breakthrough, it was designed by a star in Jean-Claude Ellena, it was easily obtained. All of these factors combined to get it into Basenoters hands. That it really is a great warm-weather scent and so over the spring and summer it got worn a lot.
    Hermes released Terre D’Hermes at the absolute right time, just before the holidays in 2007. This allowed people to buy this as gifts and people wore it because of its newness and quality and buzz. All during this time there were threads like “I love TdH what should I try next?” and members got those recommendations and began to branch away from Terre D’Hermes and the weather turned cooler. Also I think this is an example of the life cycle of the truly new and good on Basenotes. From a number of community members they have hypothesized that Lorenzo Villoresi Piper Nigrum had a similar trajectory when it was first released. I’ve not gone back to look at old SotD’s to see if that is true. What I can comment on is that Piper Nigrum only got 42 wears in this past year and it could be the case that Terre D’Hermes is headed the same way. If I was to have continued doing the stats that would have been one of the most interesting questions for me to have watched over the next year “Is Terre D’Hermes a classic that takes its place amongst the others in this top 10 or is it a flash in the pan?” I won’t officially be counting but I will be watching.
    See you tomorrow with the SotY, which shouldn’t be a surprise.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Default Re: SotY: #2 Hermes Terre D'Hermes

A solid 1% of all Basenotes fragrance wears. Well deserved, too.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Someone tried the EDP of Terre d`Hermes? The Longevity must be awesome!!

Vile.

Quote Originally Posted by Sokkou View Post
    Vile.
    If you don't like the scent, please don't ruin it for those of us who do. You are completely entitled to your own opinion, I have no problem at all if someone bashes the hell out of all my favorites, but this thread is to celebrate the scent, not to throw random one-word reviews.

Fair enough. I wanted to enjoy Terre, I thought the drydown was sexy, but the violent headache the top/heart induce killed it for me :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Someone tried the EDP of Terre d`Hermes? The Longevity must be awesome!!
    There is no EdP for Terre d'Hermes.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

there is! new launch!
    400ml splash with all classics of hermes (155 pounds and up)
    all Orange Verte (200ml) and in edt
    also 75ml refills (40 pounds and up)
    and finally Caleche and Terre d'Hermes in EdP concentration!
    check at
    http://www.escentual.com/hermes/terre-dhermes/
    Hermes Terre D'Hermes Eau de Parfum Bottle 400ml

Product Details £177.00
    Tell Hugo, he isnt boss anymore.
    Nieruchomości Gorzów

400ml? That's a lot.

so buy and try
    Hermes Terre D'Hermes Eau de Parfum Spray 75ml
    Product Details £56.00

and
    Hermes Terre D'Hermes Eau de Parfum Leather Case Refill 75ml
    Product Details £45.00

this is brand new refill
    if ne1 will try EDP of Terre let us know!
    Last edited by yrk; 11th April 2009 at 11:14 PM.
    Nieruchomości Gorzów

Basenotes Institution

When this came out, I remember all of the ladies that smelled it on me complimented me. Later on, I realized a lot of women (here on BN and elsewhere) also wear TdH.

I once told this to a woman (a stranger) at Neiman Marcus who was having trouble finding a scent for herself. I told her to try TdH and she loved it. I'll never forget that moment.

I still don't like the dry down, at the very end of the base notes (they smell like marijuana leaves), but the top note trajectory and middle notes are unique, vivid and instantly identifiable for me. Whenever I catch a whiff of this on someone (which tends to happen more often here in Miami) I smile.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 11th April 2009 at 11:42 PM.

but is this same as EDT but increased already good longevity or a bit different from EDT ?
    im just curious since there is no much difference in price (5 pounds)
    Nieruchomości Gorzów

I love TdH. I got it in the middle of last summer and it's one of the few frags I have that I wear all year 'round. I've never considered it my favorite scent and I probably never will. But it's incredibly versatile. Pleasant and interesting in a beautifully unchallenging way (and some of my favorite fragrances are challenging). I suppose I might be describing Ellena's famous minimalism. TdH is often what I'll reach for when I'm otherwise unsure what to wear. Very nicely packaged, too (though I don't usually care much what the bottle looks like).

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I still don't like the dry down, at the very end of the base notes (they smell like marijuana leaves),
    Heh yeah, I concur. However, a similar drydown can be noticed on Eau Sauvage by Dior.

I find the bitter opening to be very "challenging" to me, to the point of scrubbing it off! I think this frag is a good case for what I'll call rotational calibration. Compared to the other frags I have in my rotation, this one comes across as too harsh (or harsh in certain ways that really get to me). However, if you are used to these kinds of frags, you might find this sedate. Isn't that how LT talked about Td'H in his guide book?

Nothink like it in my collection other than Vetiver Tonka in the dry-down. I wore it very regurarly in 2008. Will remain a favourite.

Sur la Plage

One of my favorites for warmer weather. Also seems to drive my female co-workers crazy.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Terre d'Hermes EDP????

Has anyone tried this? Is it totally new? Come on, this is news no?
    Surely someone has more info on this.

It is news for me. I'm surprised this thread is the first time this comes up (is it?).

An EDP? Do you really need to make this stuff any stronger?

I tried to like TdH, did enjoy it for awhile, but now I find that only about 1 in 5 wears is enjoyable, and other times it just goes wrong one way or another. Last time I got a strong chalky aspirin like note - the only time I've ever experienced this before was when I mixed grapefruit essential oil about 40/60 with opoponax oil. Not good. Other times the mineral note is just too strong, or it crosses the my threshold of acceptable sourness. All too often it gives me a headache. It is distinct and when it works I really do enjoy it but to be honest it baffles me how this scent is #2.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

No. 2 scent here and no mention of the EDP, and seemingly no enthusiam about an EDP version. I can recall news of EDP versions of other scents popular here causing hysteria. This place is becoming more of an enigma as each day goes by...hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Mostapha View Post
    If you don't like the scent, please don't ruin it for those of us who do. You are completely entitled to your own opinion, I have no problem at all if someone bashes the hell out of all my favorites, but this thread is to celebrate the scent, not to throw random one-word reviews.
    To the contrary, I rather enjoy adverse opinions as this is a board for people to discuss and opine on frags, not just praise the ones they like. Several times negative reviews have saved me significant $$ by making me order samples instead of buying blind.

But i will agree with the notion that perhaps saying more than "vile" would have been useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    No. 2 scent here and no mention of the EDP, and seemingly no enthusiam about an EDP version. I can recall news of EDP versions of other scents popular here causing hysteria. This place is becoming more of an enigma as each day goes by...hmmm.

This is the first I'm hearing of it... I wonder if it's a Europe only release, or will it make it's way over here? I was looking to pick up a bottle of TdH relatively soon but now I wonder if I should wait until I try the edp...

Looks like the refill-bottle with leather-case around is very nice! I wonder how much the leather-case cost??

My dad never liked anything we buy for him, He has a very difficult personality. However, I

bought this perfume (Terre D'Hermes) for him and he said to me "this is what I name perfume"

He loved it and he is using it only in weekends!!!

Terre D'Hermes is a rich woody type perfume and it last for the whole day when you wear it.

I really like it.

This is a wonderful scent....does not shock me at all.
    Gary

With Terre, I'm usually put off by the harsh topnotes when deciding what to wear. But *when* I wear it, I always feel great about it.

The topnotes make me think of the topnotes of A*Men. Entirely different, but same harsh vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    This is the first I'm hearing of it... I wonder if it's a Europe only release, or will it make it's way over here? I was looking to pick up a bottle of TdH relatively soon but now I wonder if I should wait until I try the edp...
    I checked all the Hermes international sites yesterday and did not see any mention of an EDP strength. I would suspect a typo on part of the reseller rather than a new strength. Although a call to the home boutique would clear things up... anyone speak French? The # is 33 (0)1 40 17 47 17.

TdH smells like industrial strength bathroom cleaner to me. yuck.

some1 from uk
    http://www.escentual.com/hermes/terr...erredhermes11/
    get it blind and tell us !
    and btw: www.escentual.com - Authorised Hermes Stockist
    Last edited by yrk; 13th April 2009 at 12:00 PM.
    Nieruchomości Gorzów

Blog Entries

Great stats! I wish there were an EDP, but I'm voting with a typo on this one. It looks just like the big bottle of EDT I saw in the boutique. Not much reason to release an EDP only/first in the monster bottle, IMO.

I would think that an EDP or Extreme version would be a natural flanker. Either that or an Eau Delicate version targeted at ladies or people who think it's too strong. I thought that the Eau Delicate versions of 24 Faubourg and Caleche were nicely done.

I think it's legit... The EdP is in a 75ml bottle, while the EdT's come in 50 & 100ml...