Code of Conduct
    AromiErotici

Default Borderline weird scents you have recently tried

These have been around awhile, but there's no way on earth I can try and buy or even sample all the fragrances out there that pique my interest.

Jaguar is truly a strange citric blast of what I think is bitter orange and grapefruit. I had to wear this 3 times to finally get it. Not bad however and now I have yet another work frag for summer.

Zino by Davidoff is pipe tobacco on me.....and I think I like it.

I'm expanding my horizons some outside of the powerbombz I usually wear and I have more new ones I haven't tried yet. What scents do you consider weird but good?

Default Re: Borderline weird scents you have recently tried

Weird, but not good - Burberry Weekend. I swear it smells like vomit and dirty laundry.

Speaking of strange frags, what about Tristano ?

Moschino Uomo?

The uber minty Géranium pour Monsieur was pretty weird.

Also Clean Men, disinfectant and candy.

Dzing! but its weird in the most fantastic way. I love this stuff!
    Bois Farine up for Sale! Up for bargaining.

Dans Tes Bras. Weird...but not good weird.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Speaking of strange frags, what about Tristano ?
    I have it but haven't worn it yet. I have yet to try Tristano and Angel Schlesser.

I have to second Dzing! I've just been getting a chance to sample fragrances outside of the usual dept. store variety (thanks to BN, I'm hooked. ) and Dzing! is the first fragrance that I had a double take and said, "What the..."

Quote Originally Posted by TheRomantic View Post
    Dzing! but its weird in the most fantastic way. I love this stuff!
    "Health food may be good for the conscience but Oreos taste a hell of a lot better" - Robert Redford

Weird but good more or less describes nearly all my favorites! I like the freaks...

I'll limit it to a few new favorites I've tried this year.

Czech & Speake Cuba - an odd combo of mint, rum and tobacco, smooth and blended well.
    Rose de Nuit - a very dry yet old-fashioned rose leather chypre.
    Tubereuse Criminelle - wintergreen and tuberose contrast done beautifully.
    Original Aoud - odd top notes, but a gorgeous mellow oud quite unlike other Montales.
    Musk Gazelle - nuclear powered musk ( warning - VERY weird and scarily animalic )

Pulled out The Dreamer for it's annual "Let's see if I can figure this one out again spritz" trial. Nope. Maybe next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Original Aoud - odd top notes, but a gorgeous mellow oud quite unlike other Montales.
    I'll second this. Original Oud has actually gotten me back "into" Montales

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

AromiErotici

Dzongkha is one I forgot to mention, but I did try that last year and not recently. That's probably the weirdest one I've worn yet I couldn't dislike it.

Unicorn Spell -- I did not get it (brine?) but some people like it a lot. It'd definitely unconventional.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mchoi76 View Post
    I have to second Dzing! I've just been getting a chance to sample fragrances outside of the usual dept. store variety (thanks to BN, I'm hooked. ) and Dzing! is the first fragrance that I had a double take and said, "What the..."
    Same for me. Fortunately i had been prepared by BN reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Weird but good more or less describes nearly all my favorites! I like the freaks...
    Second that!
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I guess Lonestar Memories is the weirdest I've tried so far, but it's probably not all that weird. I still have a good bit of the sample left. I might wear it to work one day for kicks and see if I get a reaction.

Interesting Thread. OK, here are some that I would call "weird" for some reason or another. They are also things that I would give a thumbs up for. Weird but good-

Jasmine et Cigarette from Etat Libre d' Orange - warm luxuriously sweet jasmine that has that odd indolic scent that transitions into a nice tobacco drydown. Strange combo but it works.

Rien from ELDO is a sweet but sweat drenched leather fragrance. Notes of cumin, black peopper, iris, oakmoss, patchouli. Black licorice leather. or Vinyl Leather.

Vierges y Toreros also from ELDO is also an interesting fem/masculime mix with tuberose and leather. A very sweet leather or a leathery floral.

From Social Creatures Frankfurt Kitchen is an odd combination of sour notes, citrus and greens, with coffee, vanilla and honey. It smells like the back door room of my local diner kitchen - but it is oddly interesting in fragrance.

Bel 'Antonio from Hilde Soliani - is a very pure tobacco and coffee fragrance. Warm, dry, comforting with these two notes.
    Also from Hilde Soliani is Stecca which has the purest green organic vines and leaves fragrance that there is. Tomato leaf and Tomato vine sap combination is very green and very nice.

1740 Marquis de Sade from Historie de Parfums opens with s tart fruity floral Davana flower but settles in with notes of chocolate, vanilla, patchouli, apricot and leather. Overall it smells like a chocolate covered fruit candy except for the smoothe lether drydown. Weird but nice.

Chaman's Party by Honore des Pres is Olivia Giacobetti's latest effort for a fragrance brand made with all organic ingredients. This one opens with a deep burning camphor note that is followed with guaiac wood and a touch of clove that settles into Haitian Vetiver and basil oil. The medicinal smokey incense flows throughout this one, but has a warm wood base. It reminds me of burning incense on a hot charcoal burner using camphor to add the metholated smoke. Very much a chaman's magic in this.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 9th April 2009 at 08:53 PM.

the weirdest one I recently tried was LV's Piper Nigrum... Like smelling my spice rack, very nicely done but not something I'd want to smell like... Which in my opinion is a problem with a lot of LV frags.
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Mazzolari Lui i describe it as a werewolf in a tux type scent .

Hard to say- many frags which most fragrance lovers perceive as classic and would be rated as flawless in an ideal world, can be trashed or at least underrated by more generic or younger consumer. A simple example: even the safe, conservative and clean smelling chypre Chevignon Brand for men was rated as "weirdo" scent by many people I had the (mis-) fortune to meet, their justification relying mainly on the fact that it smelled to aquatic and salty.
    But this is a false problem. A truly unusual scent which I was given to have smelled, although not necessarily borderline or weird, yet just completely different from the masses, was - yes,
    perfume-lovers might hate me for that- sculpture homme by Nikos. It exhales an almost "abstract sweetness of an imaginary candy, combined with the air of an unmarked, nondescript space during scientifically inexplicable weather conditions" (at least so I perceive it) on my skin. I don't know if sculpture has a "real" unusual and borderline character, but it certainly stood out from what I have ever known before (which might, in turn, be a limited and highly subjective experience).

A*Men is a weird, uniqe scent... But i like it!

Serge Noire - scary weird - approach with caution.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Serge Noire - scary weird - approach with caution.
    I'll second that! I just received a sample and was really surprised at how different it was. Burnt, a little dirty, spicy, incense, cinnamon... I thought to myself, "I can't imagine Serge Lutens exclaiming 'yes, THIS one... THIS is the one!!'" But that was my first little thought. I have to give it some more time soon. Pretty strange this one.
    Last edited by nthny; 10th April 2009 at 01:14 PM.

Another weird one - Creed Acier Aluminium.

It's sweet and powdery and has a note similar to Banana Laffy Taffys but it also has a weird clinical vibe. It felt like I was under light anaesthesia at the hospital and dreamt I was a European aristocrat.
    Last edited by monsieur_sparkle; 13th April 2009 at 08:50 PM.

Well I think I've recently tried 2 of the weirdest.

CdG Synthetics Skai, pretty undescribable

CdG Odeur 53, I got the notes of Nail Varnish and Old Television Static
    The Large Print Giveth And The Small Print Taketh Away

Good weird:
    Eau d' Italie, Sienne a l' Hiver: i don't get all the olive and stuff hype but tha scent is great. Mood scent, skin scent, light, imposing at the same time.
    Miller Harris, Eau de rien: if lion is the king of animals, this is the king of animalics. Quite the thing you would not expect from MH.
    Bad weird:
    Viloresi, Dilnum: orange blossom often reminds me of toilette cleaning material. This one is toilette. Urine. Very soft and airy and at the same time exquisitely repulsive. If you are not fond of orange blossom stay away from this as far as you can.
    Good weird to me, bad weird to most:
    Annick Goutal, Sables: mysterious, dark, fennel seed progressing to maple and then to what is known to most middleeastern cuisines as "tsimen". the spice that characterises pastourma or pastrami or whatever they call in different places. This spice has the ability to enter the body and then infuse all bodily fluids for upt o 48 hours, depending on how one metabolises it. Still i love it.
    Last edited by cpk; 13th April 2009 at 09:10 PM.

Good weird: Gucci pour homme. Eau du Pencil Shavings. I really like the smell, but it's like fresh gasoline. I don't want to smell like it.

Good weird: Guerlain Vetiver. Thought it smelled like SpotShot....now I really like it.

Bad weird: Tuscany per Uomo: Caustic astringent cleaning formula, dual purpose headache inducer.

Haven't tried these so recently, but so long as we're having the conversation...

Good Weird:

L'Artisan's Bois Farine: iris 'n' peanut butter. I actually kinda like my sample of this, though not enough to buy.

Not So Good Weird:

Tauer's Vetiver Dance: I really like or love the other Tauers I've tried, and actually think the dry down of this one is fine, but its top notes are, to my nose and on me, deeply off-putting: grapefruit+black pepper+clary sage.

Malle's Noir Epices: It's wonderful that there are niche houses putting out frags like this. But I don't want to wear them!
    Last edited by PhinClio; 13th April 2009 at 09:59 PM.

Lalique Encre Noir - Fresh wet soil dug a foot deep into fertile earth. . .then drizzled with black ink. I washed it off because i had to head out and was wearing another frag, but will return to it tonight.

Lolita Lempicka au Masculine - maybe this is mainstream for BN'rs but its certainly odd/unique to me. . and I love it. This is black licorice on purple velvet sofa while kissing a girl with vanilla lipgloss. . . slowly, but surely. She aint goin nowhere and neither are you.

A*men (Mugler) - hated every whiff of it every time i tried it a department store. . then i made a blind buy at a discount place and let it unfold on my skin. WOW. Swiss chococolate and resonating Metal. Vanilla and spice. I finally "get it" and understand the positive reviews on this site.

Dunhill Desire (red) - many don't like it but i've gotten complimetns from others every time I wear it. Lime, Apple, vanilla form the basis of a cologne that i find unique, strange, and thoroughly sniffariffic.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Andyjreid View Post
    Well I think I've recently tried 2 of the weirdest.

CdG Synthetics Skai, pretty undescribable

CdG Odeur 53, I got the notes of Nail Varnish and Old Television Static
    Ah, so you finally got to try them, eh? Pretty weird, aren't they? LOL

Three blends made by local perfumists, good intentions gone awry:

1-. Mix incense, patchouly and cypress, you get a weird scent described by others as "dry tobacco"
    2-. Mix musk and hesperedic notes, you get a strange smell reminiscent of vomit that turns into the same drydown as that of Signoricci's.
    3-. Finally, mix whatever it is: a woody - oriental smelling bad on the skin, but with wonderful sillage.

Rather than wearing them, I smell them on cards, cotton balls or just a dab on my hand. It is the sort of fragrance worth analyzing, rather than applying.

I own and love a frightening number of scents on this thread, so I must be a lover of weird scents. My current pre-purchase obsessions are C&S Cuba, which I think is an insanely crazy jumble of smells I like and Dzongkha, which is my iris of choice at the moment. (I don't find it all that weird though.) A third, and one that hasn't yet been mentioned, is Fumidus, which I'm trying not to buy because it's $240 and smells like a bottle of really good scotch, so I doubt I should wear it to work!

I'd have to say the entire range of B Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful, that Turin/Sanchez hyped beyond belief, is the oddest group of fragrances out there.
    A good one word description for them is raw. I get the feeling if you put one of them into the oven for 45 minutes, on medium heat, you would end up with something that smells like a "real designer" scent.
    But as they stand, they are the olfactory equivalent of raw foodism.
    I bought Breath of God in London this past week and I have to say that it presents its mix of notes, cedar, grapefruit, smoke/pepper, vetiver, Ylang Ylang and juniper, rather randomly; creating more of a collage than a true accord.
    It does have great longevity for something that is mostly composed of naturals and I'm finding it to be quite addictive.
    But in the end, there's that raw quality that keeps things strange.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 14th April 2009 at 03:58 AM.