Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: 3x3 Blind Sniff Round 2...."The Spice of Life"

Oh!
    Another continent... her... memories of a certain scent being put in the weekly top 10 with the aid of LiB... this could not be an Annayaké scent, then?
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Basenotes Institution

Not very many continents, and it should be of help, I think!

African vibe? Coffee? Incense?

Asian vibe? (I do not believe it is Asian at all, would be too obvious with spices and all, but it is my personal hunch).

Jamaican? Caribbean? (That's where most tropical fruit come from to Texas, at least ). Guava? Mango?

Not Australian. Not the South Pole.

Please speak more about A's resemblance to other well known existing fragrances. Contrast or find similarities, would you sniffers?

Nope....not an Annayaké scent, veuve, I'm sorry!

I said ubu was right about MY influence....that can only mean that the house is an Italian house.

The fruit isn't guava nor is it mango...we eat them too, or don't we? The fruit we're talking about contains a nut, and the nut is used to produce something we use....all over It is very representative of the mystery continent...but also the wood note is! Remember...not sandalwood...that should quickly exclude one of the continents.

Nobody guessing the floral notes?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Blog Entries

Reading through the thread to get here I was thinking it might be one of the Hermes Merveilles but with the clues of Italian house, fruit whose pit produces skin creme, and inspiration from Asia or Arica I'm headed back to the drawing board.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Is the fruit cashew? the only time I ever saw or ate the fruit was in Brazil. Good juice too! But I haven't seen it elsewhere. Only the nuts.

The quality of this one gives an impression of being a frag by I Profumi de Firenze or Carthusia. It comes across as Italian to my nose, but the ginger gives me that Asian question mark. (I usually think Asian when it comes to ginger)

Is there a yes to musk? I sprayed some paper with this yesterday, and upon sniffing it today I'm thinking musk.

The mystery fruit will have to be a wild guess, as it's quite obvious I have no reference in my olfactory for it...the notes in this blend are extremely subtle, so it does not jump out. I would guess it has a 'tangy' character, but that could also be the lemon/(lime).

If the notes are actually listed as lime on some sites, and do include musk, I'd say that (it smells unisex) leaning toward the masculine.

This one's very pleasing,and wearable! I can imagine Mike Perez enjoying a few spritzes on himself in the Miami heat! (Mike, check you 'drobe, I wouldn't be suprised if you own this! )

Cashew huh? Interesting...the cashew fruit is only eaten where it is grown because it is unfit for transportation by any means. Each fruit produces a single "nut", which is how most people enjoy the cashew. Back to the fruit, it is grown in Brazil, and only eaten there. The fruit is LOADED with juice.

I'm going to search more now...

Ubu, I already gave answers to some of your questions. To resume:

- the scent is from an Italian house
    - it's in the designer scents category
    - the designer is female
    - the scent is dedicated to a continent

You're right about ginger - this spice always brings Asian cuisine to my mind and it originated in Asia as well. However, it's largely cultivated also in other continents and especially used in the Eastern part of the mystery continent.

For those who thought the scent was "drinkable"....ginger is used to brew a refreshing drink, very used in some countries of the continent we're talking about.

Another thing....also the form of the bottle is pays homage to one of the most famous local cultures

And the orange colour of the fragrance could also bring to mind the magnificent sunsets you may admire over there

Is the continent south america?
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.
    Currently wearing: L by Lolita Lempicka

Is it My Afrika by Krizia???

Notes for Afrika are:

Ginger blossom, Lime/Lemon, jasmine, heliotrope, Shea Fruit, Amber, Ebony & Ginger

The juice is orange colored, the bottle is 'tribal', the designer is Italian , and if this isn't the answer, I throw my hands up!

Basenotes Institution

What do you mean, Ubu? Like in Hallelluja?

And we have a winner!
    Bravo Ubu! :bounce:

My Afrika, by Italian designer Krizia, released in 2006, was met with zero enthusiasm from the public and is virtually unknown.

I believe I'm the only one with a full bottle on Basenotes, and TWolf the only one who has it on her "to test" list .

BTW, TWolf did one of her "veni vidi vici" thingies (either that or she reads my mind ) and was the first one to guess it right...thanks TWolf for PM'ing the answer. And thanks to whisperingleaves for placing a very good guess via PM

The notes were already given by Ubu :wave:

The strange fruit was the shea fruit, from the nut/seed of which shea butter, also known as karité, is obtained for cosmetic purposes. Interestingly, it is the pulp that is used in Africa, mainly for food purposes.

The neck of the bottle of My Afrika is reminiscent of the many ornamental collars the Masai women wear around their neck:

Ladies, in much less than 24 hours the secret surrounding Sample A has been broken!!! Did I make it too easy?

Nooo, I hadnt even heard of this perfume so not too easy
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Basenotes Institution

Wow Ubu - I'm impressed. I thought it was something from Fendi this morning but a quick glance thru the Directory left me puzzled. I couldn't think of another Italian designer house...Krizia, of course!

There is NO way in hell, I would have gotten this one L_I_B - this was not an easy sniff...but Ubu has amazing olfactory and research abilities.

Actually, I think this bottle was in one of tang's bottle collages!

BTW, I'm going to purchase a bottle of this stuff - and I'll send you some Mike!

LiB - that was awesome! FANTASTIC choice!

I'm relieved to be done with A...now only two more...

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    What do you mean, Ubu? Like in Hallelluja?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    BTW, I'm going to purchase a bottle of this stuff - and I'll send you some Mike!
    Aren't you sweet?

Is it me, or does the bottle look like that Sit-n-Spin toy that I used to love to play with when I was a kid - made in glass?

LOL.

LOL mike...

Ubu, so you do like the scent? I must say it is very pleasant to spritz on the hottest summer days

I missed veuve's contribution...maybe we should wait to give her a chance to chime in before breaking secret B

Basenotes Institution

LIB, it was a great choice for A, I suppose.

Ubu, congratulations and please PM me the name of the place where you are going to get it from, I can't find it for sale or even the place that lists the notes (when did osMoz get so stingy with their descriptions?), sorry.

Wow, this has been interesting to read. Congrats to Ubu! Love the bottle and the color of the liquid.

Excellent sniffing,everyone! And congratulations on your guess, ubu.

There's a listing for 2 on eB*y Austria right now, I think!

Ooh, I didn't see that one coming! Great powers of deduction there, ubu - and Twolf obviously.
    I'm with ubu: I like this one. I doubt I would actually use it enough to drain a bottle, but this is enough of an interesting take on a citrus/refreshing thingie/cologne that it would entertain me for the entire day.
    Interesting choice, LiB!
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Yeah ubu that was amazing of you to be able to guess it that fast. I didnt even started to do research but I guess the Africa was a good place to start googling.

I opened sample B and all I can say is : cinnamon.

Regarding the Goutal mentions: when I looked up My Afrika just now on Michael Edwards' Fragrances of the World, he suggests Les Nuits d'Hadrien for those who like the Krizia scent. You all had some great intuitive guesses here!

Basenotes Institution

Can't wait, have a gazillion of questions about this B-nnamon (Gourmand? Incensy? Austere?) but will have to hold myself. T-i-g-h-t!

Please sniff on!

I've been out and about most of today...but now that I'm back, I've spritzed B.

Since it's difficult to get us online simultaneously, I'll start blurting out some impressions:

* Clear juice
    * Thin, with a noticably high alcohol content
    * I'd say CHEAP!

* Cinnamon: Just like Big Red gum or Red Hot candies, sweet & spicy
    * Orange & Clove: Like the pomanders we used to make around the holidays...sticking whole cloves into an orange.
    * Vanilla: SWEET, weak, slightly powdery, cottoncandy-ish

Smells more like an air freshener than a personal fragrance, or if you're sticking to a budget and buy the generic drugstore holiday scented candle, "B" smells like this to me.

BTW - I do detect an odd note of rubber or smoke...not sure what to think of that!

EDITED: This comes off as a body spray. Gourmand is too elegant of term...it's more "foody". Very much like candy. I don't want a full bottle!
    Last edited by ubuandibeme; 11th April 2009 at 02:46 AM.

All I pick up is cinnamon and maybe vanilla, it's not as gourmande and strong vanilla like Comptoir Sud Pacific Vanille Cannelle but still moure gourmande than anything else I think.

If orange and clove are not listed as the notes than I'd say maybe nutmeg ( I smelled vanilla and spice from the body shop and I thought I almost reocgnized some of the notes from there in B)

Also...CINNAMON!!! !!!! The development is rather linear and you dont really smell anything else but cinnamon, anything that is there is to support it and maybe warm it up a bit.

Basenotes Institution

Did someone say cinnamon? ((looking around))

I hadn't read Ubu & Lian's impressions before trying on B, but mine are almost verbatim the same. Must be a decidedly un-mysterious fragrance, this one.

Runny, clear liquid. Sweet, uncomplicated.
    Cinnamon and orange lemonade (the synthetic kind that has little in common with real oranges) with a dash of vanilla. I do get the weird smoky/tarry note ubu mentions for a second right after spraying (and when I smell the vial itself), but it disappears very quickly. Clove.. possibly. It's not anywhere near dominant, anyway.
    I thought "gourmand" at first, but it's not actually that edible. It smells more like cheap vanilla/cinnamon scented candles: plasticky, "flat", waxy.

Hardly any sillage (that or my nose just decided not to cooperate again) and longevity seems poor. I sprayed on paper as well, to see if that would lead to any new insights, but B seems to behave on paper much as it does on skin, except that on paper the orange is more dominant vs. the cinnamon.

I vote cheapo, too.

Douglas Adams