Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: 3x3 Blind Sniff Round 2...."The Spice of Life"

Guys, look for the darkest color fragrances you can think of -- reddish-brown that is. List them all if you would?

The question still stands: any amber?

Only two notes have been identified correctly: cardamom and cedarwood (plus a hint of insence that is not listed as an official note). Anything else going on? Animalic elements? Or, is it pure Orient?

Well Twolf, I did list the darkest color frags I know - the darkest being Youth Dew by EL. Their commonality was Amber or Ambergris. I recently bought some Ambre fragrance and it was very dry and dusty...so I'll take a stab that there's amber in this blend.

With that being the case, I searched some notes and came up with this one:

Return Men by Panouge

Cardamom, Coriander, Bergamot
    Nutmeg, Cedarwood, Gaiacwood
    Ambergris, Birch, Leather

Based upon those listed notes - and the color of the juice in the bottle - marketed masculine - I would take a guess that Return Men could be "C".

What say you LiB?

It probably is a masculine, especially since it is without sweetness.
    That dark substance has got me stumped. Some ambers are very dark, almost animalic or smoky, but they would still make the base sweet, without a doubt.
    Patchouli? That could be earthy-rooty-musty and give the dark color without sweetness.

Lian, I bet your mouth was numb after the Super Clove Milkshake.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 13th April 2009 at 01:32 PM.

The clovemilkshake was not a success and after it my sister and I never made anything but standard normal vanilla or banana milkshakes, it even put it a stop to our coffee milkshake experimernts ( yeah take that starbucks we were there nearly 20 years ago).

It mellowed out a bit so there could be something amber ish going on, think amber sultan and not sweet amber fragrances. After I waited for what seemed like eternity for the frag to dissapear I gave up and mixed it with an amber fragrance I have and the two worked very well together. I don't know if that tells anyone something.

I think there is a sweetness to C but it's not very pronounced, as in I don't think the ingredient was added to add sweetness but it might be a consequence of patchoulie that lifts C up and makes it fresher compared to the rest of C. This only came up past the opening notes as well ( mingled with my clvoe stuff)
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by veuve amiot View Post
    Mike: I don't think there's honey in there. There's some sweetness to it, but it's more the dusty sweetness of antique wood (or, imagine that, spices), not the gooey honeyed beeswax smell. I have no clue what immortelle smells like, but C doesn't seem floral at all.
    Immortelle smells a little like a celery seed / maple syrup combo - not typically 'floral' at all, actually.

I'd say no to the immortelle.

BTW Mike, I'm going to pack up what's left of my 3 samples and send them along to you I really think you'd enjoy all of them.

Now, lots of answers are due!

Who said the colour is very dark? I only said it's darker than La Myrrhe, as in less bright orange-red .... actually, it's just a tad darker than the coppery juice in your spray samples.

Not Ormonde Jayne, not Return Men by Panouge.

Based on the official notes :
    no leather notes
    no animalic notes
    no floral notes (not even immortelle)
    no honey
    no pepper (!)
    no green notes
    no vetiver
    no orris
    no amber (although I did layer it with ambery scents in the past - like Lian did - and the result was very nice)

Not marketed to a specific gender.

House and nose are European indeed

You all say Sample C has lots of sillage and longevity....that's VERY peculiar, since according to the reviewers, that's exactly what it lacks

I've a hunch you're going to skin me when you find out :brolly:
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 13th April 2009 at 04:41 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Nelly Rodi Scent Factory No.3: Cardomom

Notes: Cardamom & Cedar

Is this it?!?!?!!??!!

EDIT: In the BN Directory, it is listed as "Cardomome" with no listed notes. My guess is from googling "new cardamom fragrance" - and finding a response at The Perfumed Court site. FINGERS CROSSED
    Last edited by ubuandibeme; 13th April 2009 at 05:07 PM.

So, it IS in the BN Directory, right?

Is it CDG (there was a comment about Marc Buxton, but it went without a response)?

What are we supposed to do now: do sniffers try to smell some other note(s) that will help us get closer to the answer? Or, is it as simple as a Cardamom - Cedarwood scent? Ad we are all just giving you a handful of names?

Has someone come up with the right answer yet?

Hm, still a mystery then?
    Ok, so cardamom and cedar are confirmed. I just respritzed and today it almost resembled laurel/licorice (real, dark laurierdrop - not the English layered stuff) in the opening - shape-shifter? (Could very well be an aspect of cardamom, though. It's a pretty amazing spice)
    Unlike ubu and Lian, I found the longevity lacking. Yes, it's *very* present at first spritzing, but it dies down on my skin pretty fast, and I tend to hold on to scents for a long time in general.

Got Baume du Doge on the other arm right now, and it's a similar sort of scent to be sure. BdD has way more incense, though. Both do have the unsweet dusty-spicy thing going on.
    Last edited by Morgaine; 13th April 2009 at 05:19 PM.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Indeed, TWolf, someone has come up with the right answer ....exactly two minutes before your post
    Ubu got what I was trying to tell you all....no other notes listed!

And she hits the target for the second time!
    Well done!!!

Nelly Rodi Scent Factory # 3 - Cardamome (bad spelling is not unusual in the BN directory)
    Nose is Fabrice Pellegrin
    Notes given are ONLY cardamom and cedarwood

Scent Factory is a collection of 8 scents representing various notes used in the Orientals family, such as Rhum, Cacao, Rose, Bois, Incense, Gingembre, Ambre.

All are EdPs and all are "famous" for their zero staying power. But it isn't so, isn't it? They are also fun for layering experiments.

Wow, this Round was fast, but Basenoters are becoming more and more proficient in perfume matters

....but at least I hope it was fun for the sniffers and fun for the readers

Thank you all for participating, and let's look forward to Round 3
    Who's next????

NellyRodi... that would fit, right? But: I have a sample of her Gingembre, and it's both very sweet and not very realistically gingery. With that in mind I would doubt C is from that line.

Edit: Haha, never mind...
    Last edited by Morgaine; 13th April 2009 at 05:30 PM.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Congratulations to Ubu!

Gosh, it was posh, LIB! Love you!

We are all NEXT with Mike Perez. Do you say it isn't so?

WHEW! (wipes brow in relief) LadyinBlack ~ Huge thanks to you for all your hard work. Everything from the beautiful packages, theme, hints & clues, obscure choices, WOW it was a great challenge. Veuve & Lian, you've been terrific - I will always think of clove milkshakes when I see your name on screen Lian!!! What a crazy time!

Basenotes Institution

((rushing around))

That was fast ladies - I'm not ready!! Seriously...I may need a few days to get my samples out in the mail.

Congrat's ladies. I think that was a record. Or atleast it felt that way.

EDIT: Just checked TWolf's original thread...I guess my round starts in May so I have some time ((sigh of relief)).
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 13th April 2009 at 07:19 PM.

Fabulous. Nice job Ubu.
    And, to all of you, I would say, "Amazing!"
    But your response probably would be, "Elementary, my dear Watson."
    For the readers' information, the Scent Factory line was created for Nelly Rodi, a company that provides "trend counseling," by perfumers from different houses or fragrance companies (like the Editions de Frederic Malle line). Here is a description from the Bois de Jasmine website:
    Parfum 3: Cardamome
    "Created by Fabrice Pellegrin of Mane, the nose behind Hermès Calèche Eau Délicate, Cardamome is the scent of cardamom pods cracked open, their vibrant aroma rapidly released. It recalls my forays into making burfee, Indian fudge consisting of caramelized milk, sugar and cardamom. Scent of cardamom is incredibly complex, encompassing resinous sweetness and spicy bitterness. Sweet balsamic cedar underpins the effervescence of cardamom, yet the fragrance is nevertheless rather short lasting. After sparkling and teasing, it vanishes leaving a soft woodsy trace behind."
    Neat. Interesting choice, LIB.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 13th April 2009 at 08:13 PM.

Congrats ubi on getting C right, just 2 notes is crazy almost to the loooong lists of notes you sometimes see.

I'm going to get some cardamon and inhale deeply and see if it's cardamon I hate. But I love it when it's used in dessert but maybe I don't like it in abundance? Much to think about and experiment

Does Arabie have cardamon in it? Maybe it's cedar I cannot stand. Or maybe its perfume cardamom I don't like? I love credre but everyone says thats not cedarwood. I'm not making any more milkshakes with the spice cabinent though and I really want to say please do not try it at home it's vile and gives you everlasting olfactory trauma's!

From the 3 mystery samples I enjoyed A the most, then again I have been pondering a purchase of les nuits de hadrien for some time. C was not my thing at all and B was just too much cinnamon, the kind of cinnamon you find in liglasses or glosses.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    ... I'm not making any more milkshakes with the spice cabinent though and I really want to say please do not try it at home it's vile and gives you everlasting olfactory trauma's!
    Hysterical!

I think I got lucky with the cardamom note...fortunately my mom cracked her own cardamom and it has stuck with my nose!

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    I'm not making any more milkshakes with the spice cabinent though and I really want to say please do not try it at home it's vile and gives you everlasting olfactory trauma's!
    The cute thing is, your clove story reminded me of a culinary experiment I once had: homemade sahlep - basically cream/custard flavoured with mainly cardamom and clove. I wouldn't recommend it for you, but I quite liked it.

A big thank you to LiB for the selection of the samples and the effort she put in! :brolly:

Douglas Adams

I'm the one thanking you all!

It's been a lovely experience and I stand in awe ... very good sniffing apparatus, ladies!

I'm looking forward to reading mike's round :wave:

Basenotes Institution

So, everyone, I've finally come up with the theme for May's blind sniff that I am hosting with debbbora, lizzie_j and Black_Cat:

The Good Girl, The Bad Girl and The Robot Girl - a story in 3 parts

Stay tuned for details.

Oooooo, I can't wait. Bad Girl sounds right up my alley.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Robot Girl? That one's got me wondering...