Code of Conduct

Thread: I'm new!! Hi!

Default I'm new!! Hi!

Hi I'm new around here *waves*

I love perfume, so was rather happy when I found this site, have been reading for a while. I love how enthusiastic everyone is about perfume

I wouldn't mind trying out some new perfumes to go with the ones I have. Am after your recs!!! My favourite perfume is Coco Mademoiselle and I would say it is my signature scent

Here's some others I have to give you some idea:
    Deep Red
    Flowers by Kenzo
    Givenchy absolutely irressistable
    Vivienne Westwood Libertine
    D&G pour femme - the one with the red cap

I would say I like fresh, clean, soapy scents the most........or anything at all like coco mademoiselle! Here is a few I've tested out in the shops and liked but haven't got round to buying yet lol

Bvlgari Green Jade - am going to have to get this- love it!
    Gucci Rush 2- also want to try the original as have heard its a bit like coco mademoiselle
    Prada men's amber one? the soapy smelling one?
    The new NR Essence - loved it but its a bit sharp sort of lemony soapy?
    Infusion d'iris - liked it but think the green jade smells better on me

What do you reckon I should try next? should I try out something completely different?
    Thanks in advance

Default Re: I'm new!! Hi!

Welcome to BN. I love your moniker, great RHCP song.
    If you enjoy D&G red cap, there are so many oriental, warm, spicy scent you can explore. You might even want to try the original Coco, it is a great floriental scent, give it a go.
    Good luck and enjoy.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Thank you Brielle

Yep, the username is from the RHCP song Dani California hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Dani California View Post
    Thank you Brielle

Yep, the username is from the RHCP song Dani California hehe
    Welcome. Watched "Funky Monks" last night for the upteenth time, it is a documentry following the Peppers making Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magik in the old Hendrix house in the Hollywood Hills. Simply amazing - that was when Frusciante was at his best - his playing is hyper creative.
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 9th April 2009 at 06:46 PM.

Welcome, Dani!

Quote Originally Posted by TheAttorney View Post
    Welcome. Watched "Funky Monks" last night for the upteenth time, it is a documentry following the Peppers making Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magik in the old Hendrix house in the Hollywood Hills. Simply amazing - that was when Frusciante was at his best - his playing is hyper creative.
    I really must get round to watching more RHCP stuff....that sounds great, I haven't seen that one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennard View Post
    Welcome, Dani!
    Hi *waves*

Welcome Dani!

May I suggest D&G Light Blue? It's fresh and fruity. It's one of my favorite scents on a woman, and on myself.

Here are some others:

Bond No.9 Nuits de Noho
    Tom Ford White Patchouli
    Annick Goutal's Petite Cherie

Quote Originally Posted by mcjra View Post
    Welcome Dani!

May I suggest D&G Light Blue? It's fresh and fruity. It's one of my favorite scents on a woman, and on myself.

Here are some others:

Bond No.9 Nuits de Noho
    Tom Ford White Patchouli
    Annick Goutal's Petite Cherie
    Hi *waves*

I have tried D&G light blue, but it doesn't seem to last very long on me which is a shame I shall have a look at the others though

Hi Dani, if that is your name.

Coco Mademoiselle is one of my favorite scents for women. It lingers in my nose long after the wearer passes by. You have a ton of suggestions thus far, so I will hold off on burdening you with more... for now. Might as well go smell everything you can at this point. It's also fun to know what you really don't like because it helps narrow down notes and scent classes you will appreciate.

Welcome to Basenotes!!

[QUOTE=EnvYuS;1482942]Hi Dani, if that is your name.

Coco Mademoiselle is one of my favorite scents for women. It lingers in my nose long after the wearer passes by. You have a ton of suggestions thus far, so I will hold off on burdening you with more... for now. Might as well go smell everything you can at this point. It's also fun to know what you really don't like because it helps narrow down notes and scent classes you will appreciate.

Welcome to Basenotes!![/QUOTE)

Hi!!

No, Dani isn't my actual name (didn't want to use my real name ) but love the song Dani California, makes for a unique username

Oooh tell me some more.......then I can have lots to smell and test out. Yes, I cannot get past Coco Mademoiselle, my absolute favourite, it gets lots of compliments as well.

Hmmm what I really don't like lets see, I don't like overly fruity scents like DKNY be delicious , or overly heavy sweet ones like Angel, actually angel smells nice on me, its just too much and gives me an awful headache. Also don't like overly heavy perfumes like some of the estee lauder ones like beautiful also headache inducing. Also anything too strongly 'vanilla' I really don't like, like D&G the one, or the body shops vanilla not my thing at all, too sickly sweet again.

Here's a little list of some I really don't like:
    Kate moss -worst I've ever smelled I think lol
    Estee Lauder perfumes - too 'heavy' smelling, headachey
    Overly fruity ones like christina aguilera, some of the lacoste, the new lacoste love of pink is ok if a bit sickly, DKNY be delicious, too fruity and sickly for me.

That should help a bit I hope
    Last edited by Dani California; 9th April 2009 at 07:18 PM.

No, Dani isn't my actual name (didn't want to use my real name ) but love the song Dani California, makes for a unique username

I thought I recognized the name (Red Hot Chilli Peppers?). Being UK-ish (that real? Better way to say that?) would seem contradictory.

I do like those vanilla scents (Hanae Mori and such), but I'll leave those out of your search.

Lolita Lempicka (Anise seed, very sensual, but still a little vanilla)
    Amor Amor (overlooked sweet floral scent)
    Thierry Mugler - Alien (Yummmm)
    The whole lot of L'Artisan unisex scents (Voleur de Roses, Patchouli Patch, Safran Troublant, Tea for Two, Ambre Extreme....)
    Chanel No. 5 (duh)

Pressed for time and having a mental block at the moment. I'll think of more for you.
    Last edited by EnvYuS; 9th April 2009 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EnvYuS View Post
    I thought I recognized the name (Red Hot Chilli Peppers?). Being UK-ish (that real? Better way to say that?) would seem contradictory.

I do like those vanilla scents (Hanae Mori and such), but I'll leave those out of your search.

Lolita Lempicka (Anise seed, very sensual, but still a little vanilla)
    Amor Amor (overlooked sweet floral scent)
    Thierry Mugler - Alien (Yummmm)
    The whole lot of L'Artisan unisex scents (Voleur de Roses, Patchouli Patch, Safran Troublant, Tea for Two, Ambre Extreme....)
    Chanel No. 5 (duh)

Pressed for time and having a mental block at the moment. I'll think of more for you.

Thank you That list sounds most interesting!! Ahh yes I love Chanel no 5, love that powdery scent of it, just I love my Coco mademoiselle more hehe I actually don't think I would mind a vanilla scent if I could actually find one I liked, all the one's I've tried are too MUCH vanilla where thats all I can smell and it makes me feel a bit nauseous.
    Last edited by Dani California; 9th April 2009 at 07:38 PM.

Hi I'm new around here *waves*
    ...I would say I like fresh, clean, soapy scents the most........:
    Howdy Dani C, & welcome to BN! We're happy you have joined us! :bounce:
    Since you like those fresh scents, I'll recommend Mugler Cologne. That is a real feel-good scent, it is a smile in a bottle.

Cheers!
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

AromiErotici

Hey. Welcome to Basenotes.

I recently sent my daughter D&G light blue and some samples of Eau De Patou and Santal Noble.
    She really liked the Santal Noble but LOVED the Patou. Maitre Parfumeur has some extremely good shared fragrances. Give 'em a try.

My favorite scents on women are
    Juicy Couture
    Amor Amor
    Baby Doll Paris

Amor Amor really surprised me as I havent even heard of it before (Im new to the fragrance hobby).

hello dani welcome to basenotes. As a fellow uk guy i can suggest going to boots in the next few days and taking advatage of the offer on for joop thrill. it is so gorgeous, a female friend of mine bought it and wow. its hypnotical to me. also, i suggest trying hot couture by givenchy, i love this on a woman and it is very sweet. good luck with this great fragrance search.

Thanks some great suggestions there for fragrances I wouldn't even think of. Is the mugler cologne the mens or womens?

For my friends birthday yesterday I got her Miss Sixty Elixir, as she loves any vanilla type scents, basically the opposite of me Another friend got her Mariah Carey M which was way too strong on me and vanilla overdose......or was it the tiare flowers? I'm sure she's going to love that one as well.
    Last edited by Dani California; 11th April 2009 at 04:00 PM.

Helo Dani!
    Welcome to Basenotes.
    Since you like Coco M., a good alternatve for summer is Chance. Have you tried it?
    Evenstar

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    Helo Dani!
    Welcome to Basenotes.
    Since you like Coco M., a good alternatve for summer is Chance. Have you tried it?
    Hi !

Thanks

Yeah I've tried both Chance and chance eau fraiche, and allure, all of which gave me a bit of a headache, allure in particular. Maybe I should go and try chance again?

Hi Dani!

I like Chance a lot; my only thing is that it doesn't last very long (symptomatic of citrus scents, as I've come to understand.) Do try it again! It doesn't really bear any resemblance to its siblings, but I think that's part of its charm. It's the renegade Chanel. I imagine I'll finish off my bottle this summer.

Have a great time here!

Welcome, welcome.

Thanks for all the lovely welcomes as well

I tried Gucci Rush II the other day and really quite liked it. I fancy trying the original Gucci Rush? Do we think I'll like it?
    Last edited by Dani California; 12th April 2009 at 05:57 PM.

Thanks some great suggestions there for fragrances I wouldn't even think of. Is the mugler cologne the mens or womens?
    Hi there Dani, the Mugler Cologne is a unisex scent, it is in a clear bottle with light green juice. Mugler makes a lot of other scents as you probably know, but that is the only one that I can endorse so far.
    You might also check out the Hermes Jardin series (Mediterranee, sur le Nil, apres le Mousson) since those are all interesting green scents. I especially like Un Jardin sur le Nil (a garden on the Nile) which has interesting papyrus-like notes! How exotic!
    Cheers,
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Hi there Dani, the Mugler Cologne is a unisex scent, it is in a clear bottle with light green juice. Mugler makes a lot of other scents as you probably know, but that is the only one that I can endorse so far.
    You might also check out the Hermes Jardin series (Mediterranee, sur le Nil, apres le Mousson) since those are all interesting green scents. I especially like Un Jardin sur le Nil (a garden on the Nile) which has interesting papyrus-like notes! How exotic!
    Cheers,
    Thanks I shall look out for those. I think Debenhams sometimes has testers of the Hermes fragrances out, I know I've seen Kelly Caleche in there, which I thought was interesting. Also I'll keep a look out for the mugler one.

What do we think of bvlgari black? I would like to try it, can't think of anywhere that does it though apart from online of course. And Bvlgari blv sounds interesting as well.

UPDATE:

yesterday I came back with the small size of bulgari green jade. Love it. I also tried Bulgari omnia crystalline which I thought was gorgeous and soapy........really lovely. I wondered if the two were quite similar though?

I also wandered past the chanel counter and just picked up a bottle, eau de parfum, but I'm not sure what it was. I think it was either no.19 or cristalle no.19? It was a light green juice, thats what attracted me to the bottle. Oh my god, it was amazing from when I first sprayed it and just got better and better. Could anyone help identify which one it was? It started off lovely and soapy smelling and just got nicer and nicer lol.

Also the nice SA in house of fraser gave me a sample of NR Essence........yet another one I've found that I love......wow it starts off nice and lemony, then goes really nicely soapy on me, really clean smelling.

I'm doing rather well here LOL

P.S. I also tried Juicy Couture, which someone reccomended on here, I was really quite suprised by it, for my not usually liking fruity type scents, when it dried down, I did actually quite like it!!
    Last edited by Dani California; 15th April 2009 at 12:30 PM.

What do we think of bvlgari black? I would like to try it, can't think of anywhere that does it though apart from online of course. And Bvlgari blv sounds interesting as well.
    I know a few people who really stand by this scent. I'm one of them. I wear it quite often, but it still an oriental scent. Rubbery vanilla is unique and pretty good, but I think you may actually have an issue with wearing it for extended periods of time. It's worth testing because it comes up often in references and suggested scents (like I'm doing now). Good scent to know, but probably not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by EnvYuS View Post
    I know a few people who really stand by this scent. I'm one of them. I wear it quite often, but it still an oriental scent. Rubbery vanilla is unique and pretty good, but I think you may actually have an issue with wearing it for extended periods of time. It's worth testing because it comes up often in references and suggested scents (like I'm doing now). Good scent to know, but probably not for you.
    Good one to at least try. You never know, I'm always suprising myself with ones I never thought I'd like.......

My next one intriguing me is the Lolita Lempicka one, I may have to hunt it down and try it! Also on the hunt for whatever that chanel was, all I know is it was green and eau de parfum and smelled lovely and really soapy........

Blog Entries

The green juice is Chanel No. 19, considered by some to be a chypre fragrance (it's debatable, and is often debated here! ). Chypres frequently do have a soapy note to them. Since you enjoy this about No. 19, I suggest you try also Acqua di Parma Profumo and Annick Goutal Heure Exquisite. Both are soft and lovely chypres. Dark Chypre by Ava Luxe is quite soapy and also has aldehydes to my nose. Since you like Chanel No. 5, I think you'll enjoy it too. Hermés 24, Faubourg might also be right up your alley. Hermés Caleche reminds me quite a bit of a chypre version of Chanel No 5, whereas No 19 is very green with a more prominent rose accord. If you like green and dry, I also recommend Ralph Lauren Safari; it's one of my very, very favorite chypres.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Welcome to BaseNotes
    just please, watch your wallet
    it tends to thin excessively quick after registering to this website
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Quote Originally Posted by Hasupk@gmail.com View Post
    Welcome to BaseNotes
    just please, watch your wallet
    it tends to thin excessively quick after registering to this website
    He's not joking.

Quote Originally Posted by an_oud_girl View Post
    The green juice is Chanel No. 19, considered by some to be a chypre fragrance (it's debatable, and is often debated here! ). Chypres frequently do have a soapy note to them. Since you enjoy this about No. 19, I suggest you try also Acqua di Parma Profumo and Annick Goutal Heure Exquisite. Both are soft and lovely chypres. Dark Chypre by Ava Luxe is quite soapy and also has aldehydes to my nose. Since you like Chanel No. 5, I think you'll enjoy it too. Hermés 24, Faubourg might also be right up your alley. Hermés Caleche reminds me quite a bit of a chypre version of Chanel No 5, whereas No 19 is very green with a more prominent rose accord. If you like green and dry, I also recommend Ralph Lauren Safari; it's one of my very, very favorite chypres.

Thank you so much. Some great recs there for me to try. I shall have to check them out. My first port of call is that Chanel......hehe, now I reckon I might try the EDT of it as well, but they never smell the same as the EDP........i never know which I prefer in chanel sometimes I actually prefer their EDT, I know I do with coco mademoiselle.

What is the proper definition of a chypre? I've often heard it but not quite sure what it really means

Thanks for the comments to watch my wallet guys, I can totally see how my wallet might get a bit thin heheh

Blog Entries

What is the proper definition of a chypre?
    Ah, remember those debates I mentioned? There was a good one at the end of last year in the Chypre-a-Thon: what's your favorite? thread. And it was discussed again last month in the Sniff 'n' Speak Chypres thread too. Both threads have lots of good information and recommendations for chypre fragrances. Did you hide your credit cards yet?
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Hmm, so you don't seem to care for heavy florals, but enjoy a little vetiver and citrus.

One Chanel that I really enjoy (besided the ones mentioned) is Cristalle EDP, it's more floral and less sharp than the EDT.

Since you like Coco Mademoiselle, you may enjoy Miss Dior Cherie- people compare the two often.
    Also, try Nina, by Nina Ricci. There is a fruity kick, but there is a musky/woody base that keeps in check.
    Also, another in the similar in feel to Coco Mademoiselle, but less 'chouli, and more soft musk-like notes in the base is Estee Lauder's Pleaures Delight.
    Last edited by leffleur; 17th April 2009 at 01:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by an_oud_girl View Post
    Ah, remember those debates I mentioned? There was a good one at the end of last year in the Chypre-a-Thon: what's your favorite? thread. And it was discussed again last month in the Sniff 'n' Speak Chypres thread too. Both threads have lots of good information and recommendations for chypre fragrances. Did you hide your credit cards yet?
    Hi

Nooo I haven't hidden them just yet hehe lol. I think I'm safe for now Ooh I shall have a read of those two threads, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by leffleur View Post
    Hmm, so you don't seem to care for heavy florals, but enjoy a little vetiver and citrus.

One Chanel that I really enjoy (besided the ones mentioned) is Cristalle EDP, it's more floral and less sharp than the EDT.

Since you like Coco Mademoiselle, you may enjoy Miss Dior Cherie- people compare the two often.
    Also, try Nina, by Nina Ricci. There is a fruity kick, but there is a musky/woody base that keeps in check.
    Also, another in the similar in feel to Coco Mademoiselle, but less 'chouli, and more soft musk-like notes in the base is Estee Lauder's Pleaures Delight.
    Ooh thank you for those recs.
    I think I've tried cristalle before I think it was the EDT and I remember thinking it was really SHARP? although it was a looooooong time ago, I shall try it again in the EDP

Funny enough, I'm not at all fussed on Miss Dior Cherie. I shall defintley try the Nina Ricci one though

Ooh thank you for those recs.
    I think I've tried cristalle before I think it was the EDT and I remember thinking it was really SHARP? although it was a looooooong time ago, I shall try it again in the EDP

Funny enough, I'm not at all fussed on Miss Dior Cherie. I shall defintley try the Nina Ricci one though
    Yep, I've tried both forms of Cristalle, and I do find the EDT too astrigent, while the EDP is more rounded. The EDP is the only one that is FBW (full bottle worthy) for me.
    I agree about MDC; although they are always compared, I swapped away the MDC, and enjoy my bottle of Coco Mlle.
    Do try the Nina. It's one I would have never though to try, but I quite enjoy it. The first day I wore it to work, one of my male co-workers told me, "You smell absolutely delicious."

Hi guys

Another update from me, as I'm discIovering the world of fragrance! I've tried a few lately and surprised myself with some that I really liked that I thought I wouldn't have liked at all.....I'm getting a bit more diverse LOL

Today I've tried Lolita Lempicka, I was a bit wary of trying it as I thought uh oh, vanilla, but I really liked it, I found it surprisingly nice, may need to try the eau de parfum next time What an unusual fragrance it is. Also tried the mugler unisex cologne, which also got the thumbs up from me, great fragrance

Have also tried Caleche - so interesting this one, at first I thought no, not for me, then it settled down and smelt rather lovely on my top the next day as I was wondering what it was hehe. I still keep going back to chanel no 19 and NR essence, as I have a sample of it and just love its soapiness more and more each time I try it. Also keep going back to bvlgari crystalline, but can't decide if its too similar to green jade? hmmm

Certainly lots to think about

Dependent

Hey! glad to hear you've diversified and broadened your appreciation, i think thats what BN does to alot of us. I get the impression alot of us feel like kids again when it comes to choosing what to buy, its can be frustrating sometimes, but its usually very satisfying at the end of the day. glad to hear from you, keep us updated
    matt

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    Hey! glad to hear you've diversified and broadened your appreciation, i think thats what BN does to alot of us. I get the impression alot of us feel like kids again when it comes to choosing what to buy, its can be frustrating sometimes, but its usually very satisfying at the end of the day. glad to hear from you, keep us updated
    matt
    Thank you!!

Have also tried Caleche - so interesting this one, at first I thought no, not for me, then it settled down and smelt rather lovely on my top the next day as I was wondering what it was hehe.
    Certainly lots to think about
    Hi there. If you've tried Caleche, you might give Kelly Caleche a try. I sniffed that recently, and enjoyed the bright citrus notes with the leathery finale. It seems like a well-designed scent to me.
    odysseusm

Hi guys

My fragrance testing this week has taken me back to Lolita Lempicka, in the eau de parfum this time, loved it It was one of those really surprising ones for me. Wow!!

Also dabbling with a few hermes scents, I quite like 24 faubourg and caleche but am not sure? I had sprayed a bit of eau de mervilles on a tester card and loved how it settled down, next I think I'll try it on my skin Very unusual fragrance. I also want to try the jardin ones of the hermes scents as I think I might like those.

Am also intrigued that Kenzo are bringing out some new fragrances, although the only one I've loved is flower