Default Re: I'm new!! Hi!

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Welcome to BaseNotes
    just please, watch your wallet
    it tends to thin excessively quick after registering to this website
    He's not joking.

Quote Originally Posted by an_oud_girl View Post
    The green juice is Chanel No. 19, considered by some to be a chypre fragrance (it's debatable, and is often debated here! ). Chypres frequently do have a soapy note to them. Since you enjoy this about No. 19, I suggest you try also Acqua di Parma Profumo and Annick Goutal Heure Exquisite. Both are soft and lovely chypres. Dark Chypre by Ava Luxe is quite soapy and also has aldehydes to my nose. Since you like Chanel No. 5, I think you'll enjoy it too. Hermés 24, Faubourg might also be right up your alley. Hermés Caleche reminds me quite a bit of a chypre version of Chanel No 5, whereas No 19 is very green with a more prominent rose accord. If you like green and dry, I also recommend Ralph Lauren Safari; it's one of my very, very favorite chypres.

Thank you so much. Some great recs there for me to try. I shall have to check them out. My first port of call is that Chanel......hehe, now I reckon I might try the EDT of it as well, but they never smell the same as the EDP........i never know which I prefer in chanel sometimes I actually prefer their EDT, I know I do with coco mademoiselle.

What is the proper definition of a chypre? I've often heard it but not quite sure what it really means

Thanks for the comments to watch my wallet guys, I can totally see how my wallet might get a bit thin heheh

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dani California View Post
    What is the proper definition of a chypre?
    Ah, remember those debates I mentioned? There was a good one at the end of last year in the Chypre-a-Thon: what's your favorite? thread. And it was discussed again last month in the Sniff 'n' Speak Chypres thread too. Both threads have lots of good information and recommendations for chypre fragrances. Did you hide your credit cards yet?
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Hmm, so you don't seem to care for heavy florals, but enjoy a little vetiver and citrus.

One Chanel that I really enjoy (besided the ones mentioned) is Cristalle EDP, it's more floral and less sharp than the EDT.

Since you like Coco Mademoiselle, you may enjoy Miss Dior Cherie- people compare the two often.
    Also, try Nina, by Nina Ricci. There is a fruity kick, but there is a musky/woody base that keeps in check.
    Also, another in the similar in feel to Coco Mademoiselle, but less 'chouli, and more soft musk-like notes in the base is Estee Lauder's Pleaures Delight.
    Last edited by leffleur; 17th April 2009 at 01:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by an_oud_girl View Post
    Ah, remember those debates I mentioned? There was a good one at the end of last year in the Chypre-a-Thon: what's your favorite? thread. And it was discussed again last month in the Sniff 'n' Speak Chypres thread too. Both threads have lots of good information and recommendations for chypre fragrances. Did you hide your credit cards yet?
    Hi

Nooo I haven't hidden them just yet hehe lol. I think I'm safe for now Ooh I shall have a read of those two threads, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by leffleur View Post
    Hmm, so you don't seem to care for heavy florals, but enjoy a little vetiver and citrus.

One Chanel that I really enjoy (besided the ones mentioned) is Cristalle EDP, it's more floral and less sharp than the EDT.

Since you like Coco Mademoiselle, you may enjoy Miss Dior Cherie- people compare the two often.
    Also, try Nina, by Nina Ricci. There is a fruity kick, but there is a musky/woody base that keeps in check.
    Also, another in the similar in feel to Coco Mademoiselle, but less 'chouli, and more soft musk-like notes in the base is Estee Lauder's Pleaures Delight.
    Ooh thank you for those recs.
    I think I've tried cristalle before I think it was the EDT and I remember thinking it was really SHARP? although it was a looooooong time ago, I shall try it again in the EDP

Funny enough, I'm not at all fussed on Miss Dior Cherie. I shall defintley try the Nina Ricci one though

Ooh thank you for those recs.
    I think I've tried cristalle before I think it was the EDT and I remember thinking it was really SHARP? although it was a looooooong time ago, I shall try it again in the EDP

Funny enough, I'm not at all fussed on Miss Dior Cherie. I shall defintley try the Nina Ricci one though
    Yep, I've tried both forms of Cristalle, and I do find the EDT too astrigent, while the EDP is more rounded. The EDP is the only one that is FBW (full bottle worthy) for me.
    I agree about MDC; although they are always compared, I swapped away the MDC, and enjoy my bottle of Coco Mlle.
    Do try the Nina. It's one I would have never though to try, but I quite enjoy it. The first day I wore it to work, one of my male co-workers told me, "You smell absolutely delicious."

Hi guys

Another update from me, as I'm discIovering the world of fragrance! I've tried a few lately and surprised myself with some that I really liked that I thought I wouldn't have liked at all.....I'm getting a bit more diverse LOL

Today I've tried Lolita Lempicka, I was a bit wary of trying it as I thought uh oh, vanilla, but I really liked it, I found it surprisingly nice, may need to try the eau de parfum next time What an unusual fragrance it is. Also tried the mugler unisex cologne, which also got the thumbs up from me, great fragrance

Have also tried Caleche - so interesting this one, at first I thought no, not for me, then it settled down and smelt rather lovely on my top the next day as I was wondering what it was hehe. I still keep going back to chanel no 19 and NR essence, as I have a sample of it and just love its soapiness more and more each time I try it. Also keep going back to bvlgari crystalline, but can't decide if its too similar to green jade? hmmm

Certainly lots to think about

Dependent

Hey! glad to hear you've diversified and broadened your appreciation, i think thats what BN does to alot of us. I get the impression alot of us feel like kids again when it comes to choosing what to buy, its can be frustrating sometimes, but its usually very satisfying at the end of the day. glad to hear from you, keep us updated
    matt

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    Hey! glad to hear you've diversified and broadened your appreciation, i think thats what BN does to alot of us. I get the impression alot of us feel like kids again when it comes to choosing what to buy, its can be frustrating sometimes, but its usually very satisfying at the end of the day. glad to hear from you, keep us updated
    matt
    Thank you!!

Have also tried Caleche - so interesting this one, at first I thought no, not for me, then it settled down and smelt rather lovely on my top the next day as I was wondering what it was hehe.
    Certainly lots to think about
    Hi there. If you've tried Caleche, you might give Kelly Caleche a try. I sniffed that recently, and enjoyed the bright citrus notes with the leathery finale. It seems like a well-designed scent to me.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Hi guys

My fragrance testing this week has taken me back to Lolita Lempicka, in the eau de parfum this time, loved it It was one of those really surprising ones for me. Wow!!

Also dabbling with a few hermes scents, I quite like 24 faubourg and caleche but am not sure? I had sprayed a bit of eau de mervilles on a tester card and loved how it settled down, next I think I'll try it on my skin Very unusual fragrance. I also want to try the jardin ones of the hermes scents as I think I might like those.

Am also intrigued that Kenzo are bringing out some new fragrances, although the only one I've loved is flower