Code of Conduct

Default Bought some Demeter frags... OK so I bought a LOT of Demeter Frags

So I saw the notification the other week that Demeter is now offering purse sized sprays, so I went on the site, and rummaged around a bit, thinking "oh, that sounds cool" and then "oh man, that's so much cooler" all the while putting stuff in my cart.

10 minutes later I ended up purchasing 10 different fragrances... being the fragrance sampling addict that I am, I just had to blind buy something that smells like a thunderstorm, gingerale, etc.

I know there's already a few Demeter posts, but I figured I would share my testing experiences so far.

Gingerale: It is what they say it is. Dimitri got me wanting to try this one, like everything else I read about in his blog. It really is as accurate as you can get to the real thing. Wearable too. The best of the bunch for sure.

Salt Air: Smells a lot like salty mist brushing up into the air off of some rocks by the ocean, however it also has a faint and strange Noxzema cream smell and a sweet artificial tinge, which aren't unpleasant, but not realistic. I guess the supporting notes give it a bit of life.

New Zealand: Smells JUST like a damp forest with dirt, greenery and a bit of ozone. On the Demeter site they mention that this was given away at a Lord of the Rings screening - well, it fits the forest scene with elves very well! Although it doesn't smell natural per se, it smells like the real thing... does that even make sense? I wonder if I'll smell like Legolas if I mix this with Silver Musk...

update: The drydown is kind of minty sweet. Kiehl's Forest Rain has a very similar vibe to this.

Dirt: Smells like dirt, but when it dries down a clean note appears. Weird, and as so many others have said, it's surprisingly wearable.

Laundromat: Laundry detergent, slightly sweet and clean, but not soapy. A little musky, with some ozone too. Nice.

Snow: Reminds me of snow, but alas, it only smells like snow for the first few minutes until it turns into an ozone thing.

Thunderstorm: There's more of an emphasis here on the moist air that rises from vegetables and soil than the thunderstorm itself. Like the others, it's pretty close to the real thing.

Firefly: Smells like a mix between dirt, the smell of a dusk in a field or some sort of forest/greenery and some other indistinguishable notes. (Doesn't smell like fireflies if you're wondering!)

Grass: Not quite true to the name. Smells a little like grass, but there's also vinyl vibe to it. Nice, but not grass per se.

Holy Water: Damp, very light and slightly oak-y/musky. Interesting, and very hard to describe. Does not remind me much of church, but then again I'm not catholic!

Overall, I'm pretty impressed with the ones I've tried. I mean I didn't expect them to smell exactly like the real thing. They're synthetic smelling, but as realistic a feel you can get without rubbing dirt, salt and leaves all over your face. Fun to wear for the 1 - 2 hours they last.

Anyone else try any Demeters lately?
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 18th April 2009 at 09:53 PM. Reason: updates
    Sales thread here

Default Re: Bought some Demeter frags... OK so I bought a LOT of Demeter Frags

I've been wanting to sample all of their stuff for a long time. I need to find a store that has them all so I can just go in and sniff like crazy.

Holy Water?! Does this smell anything different than regular water... (or UNholy Water?!)
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

I would luv to try some Demeter, and have often "cruised" their site. And although their prices are really quite reasonable ... their darned postage costs to the UK are just ridiculous. Maybe I should go see if they will charge much less postage for the purse sprays. I do hope so .... in which case I might just do exactly what you've done, and stack the cart up !

Nice!!!! Please post your thoughts on Thunderstorm, that one sounds pretty wild
    Last edited by adonis; 9th April 2009 at 11:32 PM.

I have laundromat and it's a fun scent, very clean and synthetic laundry like. I have it at work for when I feel like freshning up without smelling too perfumery.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

I read this post with some trepidation, afraid that you had fallen victim to the Suntan Lotion. Suntan Lotion is a criminal act, but how brilliant to put both acetone and drycleaning fluid in a single fragrance!

Those who like Gucci Rush might enjoy this for a minute; it's as if Gucci Rush has gone to Daytona Beach and baked its brains out waiting for a parking space in a car scented with tuberose air freshener. It is the worst thing I have ever smelled. It made me royally sick. Worse than the infamous Aftelier Cacao, which at least came by its stank honestly (indoles).

An excursus: Why is suntan lotion so hard to get right? I am talking about American suntan lotion, not Piz Buin or Ambre Solaire. I am talking boardwalk, not topless bikini. Why is the closest thing a Yankee Candle?

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post

An excursus: Why is suntan lotion so hard to get right? I am talking about American suntan lotion, not Piz Buin or Ambre Solaire. I am talking boardwalk, not topless bikini. Why is the closest thing a Yankee Candle?
    Hmmm. I have no experience with suntan lotion inspired fragrances, but that is rather ironic! Should be easy - maybe synthetic suntan molecules are cheaper to make than diluting and bottling whatever the real smell comes from (even though I guess even the real stuff is partly synthetic).

While we're on the topic, I'm noticing now that as some of the Demeters I purchased dry down, they get this nasty synthetic note that is very "chemical." Snow and New Zealand are guilty of this, whereas so far the best one is still Ginger ale, by a landslide. Well I gues you can't expect much when they're priced like they are.
    Sales thread here

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    I have laundromat and it's a fun scent, very clean and synthetic laundry like. I have it at work for when I feel like freshning up without smelling too perfumery.
    Laudromate is actually very nice - it's not harsh or too soapy. Kind of like the smell of laundry detergent (more like scented detergent than musky fabric softener) and some ozone. One of the better ones for sure.
    Sales thread here

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    I've been wanting to sample all of their stuff for a long time. I need to find a store that has them all so I can just go in and sniff like crazy.

Holy Water?! Does this smell anything different than regular water... (or UNholy Water?!)
    Holy water is a weird one. Doesn't smell like frankincense or church for that matter but more like the actual water in that little stone reserve in catholic church. I'm not particularly crazy about this one, but it does conjure a damp kind of church imagery. Very light and thankfully doesn't have very much synthetic feel.
    Sales thread here

Basenotes Institution

The new 10 ml are tempting - I was just browsing the site last night and I almost bought some.

I need to try a few, but honestly I've had Pruning Shears in my wardrobe for some time and never reach for it.

Could you possibly review Firefly for us? I'm very very interested in this one because I remember the smell in the summer night air filled with fireflies.

My question is, does this smell like the air with the fireflies, or the actual fireflies themselves (which might be a bit disgusting)?

Demeter has so many different "flavors". I would not even know where to get started, but since they deliver to Canada, I should give it a go. How is the overall longevity of their frags ?

[QUOTE]Demeter has so many different "flavors". I would not even know where to get started, but since they deliver to Canada, I should give it a go. How is the overall longevity of their frags ?[/QUOTE

I have heard that the longevity of all their fragrances is really bad ... like no more than two hours. But I have yet to try one, so do not know for sure. Am going by hearsay here. But I am kinda finding it hard to believe that they will all be so bad. There must be a few that are ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Those who like Gucci Rush might enjoy this for a minute; it's as if Gucci Rush has gone to Daytona Beach and baked its brains out waiting for a parking space in a car scented with tuberose air freshener. It is the worst thing I have ever smelled. It made me royally sick. Worse than the infamous Aftelier Cacao, which at least came by its stank honestly (indoles).
    I really used to enjoy Gucci Rush ... it was the "woodiest" scent I had. And I really like that. I actually kinda miss it. Maybe I should give this one a try then.
    However I don't quite understand how something that is supposed to smell like suntan lotion would smell anywhere similar to Gucci Rush. However, I have also never smelled American suntan lotion. Does it smell particularly woody ? And does it really smell that different from Ambre Solaire and Puiz Buin ? Besides I don't even really understand the whole concept of a fragrance that smells of suntan lotion, in the first place. Doesn't every suntan lotion smell differently from every other, depending on whatever they decided to scent it with. UV filters don't seem to have much of smell of themselves. Neither does the cold cream they immerse the "filters" in. So surely whatever fragrance they are using to scent the stuff should be easy to replicate.

I got Fig Leaf at Marshalls for .70 cents. I just love it. I cant believe how good it is. If you get a chance to try it, check it out.

Wow - I was unaware of the 10ml releases... that makes them a bit more accessible, and you dont need to comitt to a hefty bottle of something you might be disappointed in. Thanks for the write up L'adventurier, and words about my blog.
    I also enjoyed New Zealand (I grew up there, and it really did bring back memories of hiking through lush emerald forests, and the sheer veil of moisture on the air when passing a waterfall).

I tend to agree with Sybarite on one of his points above though - $40 US shipping to Europe is farcical. Hopefully a local stockist will get the 10mls in.

They are tempting, too bad I'm getting plasticky basenotes with most of them.

I'm all for $80 quality Demeter frags!

Thanks for this - fun and informative! I'm originally from NZ, too and have to rty this. So tell me, if I get NZ + Dirt + Snow with a spritz of Salt Air can I channel Aragorn up Mt. Cook somewhere looking at the West Coast torn between crossing Caradrhas or going thru the mines?

I own Demeter's "Pure Soap" and it does smell a bit like Ivory soap as they advertise. However, as it was recommended by another fine BN'er, Clinique's Chemistry nails Ivory soap, especially after the dry down.

The thing I like about Pure Soap is once it dries down, it's gone. So on a weekend I can apply something else by the evening and there's no trace of it to interfere with the new scent.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    I would luv to try some Demeter, and have often "cruised" their site. And although their prices are really quite reasonable ... their darned postage costs to the UK are just ridiculous. Maybe I should go see if they will charge much less postage for the purse sprays. I do hope so .... in which case I might just do exactly what you've done, and stack the cart up !
    You can buy Demeter fragrances from http://www.urbanapothecary.co.uk/
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

You can buy Demeter fragrances from http://www.urbanapothecary.co.uk/
    Thanks for that tip, mate . ... They are ok for the odd one !... but, considering Demeter's extensive liabrary, urbanapothecary are, unfortunately, quite limited.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Thanks for this - fun and informative! I'm originally from NZ, too and have to rty this. So tell me, if I get NZ + Dirt + Snow with a spritz of Salt Air can I channel Aragorn up Mt. Cook somewhere looking at the West Coast torn between crossing Caradrhas or going thru the mines?
    In theory, yes, but in reality, no. I joked about trying to smell like Legolas, but alas, I fear that layering or mixing Demeters would just result in a chaotic chemical swirl of synthetic notes. I feel like you would just get a nasty, sweet plasticky smell. Probably best on their own.

I can however recommend you try Demeter's New Zealand - I've haven't been there yet but it smells like I imagine the forests of NZ to smell. I can't see myself wearing this often, but it's nice as a room spray at the worst.
    Sales thread here