Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Best modern violet perfumes?

I would love to seek out the best modern violet perfumes - rather than the classic representations, what in your opinion are the top representations of violet in current perfumery?

Default Re: Best modern violet perfumes?

Insolence! My god I love it.

Would like to add Kenzo Power to the list.
    Last edited by Gblue; 10th April 2009 at 09:44 AM.

Basenotes Plus

I second Insolence. The EDT is amazing with it's weird Hairspray note and the EDP is just sublime.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Creed: Love in Black
    Armani Privé: Cuir Améthyste
    Comme de Garcons: Stephen Jones

Creed Love in Black here too - love this one after the bizarre tarry top note wafts off!

Also Bvlgari Femme and Parfum D'Empire Equistrius. Balenciaga Le Dix is probably not modern enough, but has a pretty violet note.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Bvlgari Femme is very good and wearable...I personally like L'Artisans' Vert Violette!

I second Cuir Améthyste (although there's a note in there making me a bit queasy) and would like to add Tom Ford's Black Violet - a deep and almost baroque take on violet, but decidedly modern and different.
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 10th April 2009 at 11:23 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Lovely suggestions so far, thank you!

I'll have to revisit Insolence (I can't seem to get past the hairspray) - and out of the others I've only tried a couple, so this is great for a new test list

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    Bvlgari Femme is very good and wearable...I personally like L'Artisans' Vert Violette!
    I have been most curious to try Verte Violette, and now I am even more so!

I agree on the suggestions about Armani privé Cuir Amethyste (luv the leather and violet accords) and the "pulp" take on violet of Tom Ford Black Violet.
    Another very modern and different take on violet I liked lately is Malle's Dans Tes Bras.

For modern, I'd agree and say Insolence. I love Bvlgari Femme, but don't think its at all modern (its classic!) For violet and leather, Morabito Or Noir comes to mind, although its also not modern.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukapai View Post

I'll have to revisit Insolence ( can't seem to get past the hairspray)
    The EdP is definitely worth sniffing then, because I get no hairspray whatsoever

A big second for Stephen Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by Gblue View Post
    The EdP is definitely worth sniffing then, because I get no hairspray whatsoever
    Thank you for the tip!

Oh yes, Verte Violette - that IS a good one.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

SL Bois de Violette

Basenotes Institution

Insolence is my favourite too. Fabulous ! How about Comme Des Garcons X Stephen Jones ?
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Basenotes Institution

My two favorites have already been mentioned: Dans Tes Bras by Frederic Malle and Stephen Jones by Comme des Garcons

I really love Keiko Mecheri's GENIE DES BOIS, Sonoma Scent Studio's WOOD VIOLET, and Ava Luxe MIDNIGHT VIOLET.

Looks like I need to add Cuir Amethyste and Insolence to my test list, and get out my samples of Stephen Jones and Verte Violette.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent View Post
    Another very modern and different take on violet I liked lately is Malle's Dans Tes Bras...
    I adore Dans Tes Bras, but I'm not sure I would call it a "violet" fragrance. For me the violet is secondary to the wonderful salty and earthy notes. In this category of wonderful modern fragrances that contain a noticeable violet, I would add TDC Un Parfum des Sens et Bois and Ormonde Woman.
    Last edited by Haunani; 10th April 2009 at 04:38 PM.

Ormonde Woman... really... that's great; now I have even more reason to seek that out.

I'd like OJ to be one of the stops on our August tour; apparently they are very hospitable to Basenoters.

I completely agree with CdG's Stephen Jones. The violet is present and obvious but hidden under rocks and dust....so odd but worth a try. I also very much agree with Parfum d'Empire's Equistrius. It's so fantastic and rich and the violet isn't as purple or sticky as in Insolence. I don't detect any violet at all in Ormonde Woman...more in Ormonde Man! Interesting how different noses smell things differently.

You need to try Creeds Love in Black. One of my questions to Erwin Creed this june will be how they managed to create that bizarre tarry note (I am guessing its a fusion of methyl ionones, violet ionones and a certain facet of cedar)

Honorable mention: Stephen Jones by CdG and Midnight Violet by Ava Luxe.

Dans Tes Bras is the most disappointing out of the ones I have listed. It doesn't impress me in the quality of ingredients (too obviously screechy synthetic, loaded with cashmeran and salicylates) or in its structure and evolution (too much of a monotone salty-aspirin slightly violety accord which doesnt dissipate fast enough).
    Last edited by zztopp; 10th April 2009 at 05:37 PM.
    -

I think LOVE Ava Luxe Midnight Violet. It is a wonderful resinous, earthy, slightly smoky, deep-in-the-woods scent.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Seconding Ava Luxe Midnight Violet - currently my all-time favorite violet fragrance.

Oh that's rather lovely, I've been meaning to order Ava Luxe scents anyway...

My two favorites are Vivid and Aimez Moi, neither are candy sweet and have complexity, but not sure they'd be considered modern, more timeless to me.

Another vote for Ormonde, wore it this week and like always when I wear it, was swept off my feet by the cool, wet violet note in it. Simply stunning scent!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Creed Love in Black smells like black leather and violet leaves. Easily one of my top favorites in the Creed line.

Basenotes Institution

Oh Midnight Violet- I forgot- it's wonderful !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Another vote for Love in Black. I adore it. The violet is more apparent than it is in Ormonde Woman (which I also recommend). Immediately, though, some grottiness appears directly beneath the floral and the frag seems to sink back into itself, sort of like what Malle Une Rose does with the rose decaying and returning to the mulch.

I am not a huge fan of violet, but these two frags are phenomenal.

I also wear Bond No. 9 Park Avenue, which is violet and chamomile and some urban disarray, like many of Bond's creations. It's a bit like running nails on a chalkboard, and sometimes I think that there is a chalk note to it.

I second Vivid! I have loved that scent since it came out!

My faves would be:
    Armani Privé: Cuir Améthyste
    Ormonde Woman (for sure)
    CB I Hate Perfume: Violet Empire
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

I'll have to revisit Insolence (I can't seem to get past the hairspray) - and out of the others I've only tried a couple, so this is great for a new test list
    Have you tried the EDP? It skips the hairspray
    Evenstar

Oh, I'd like to add Kapsule Floriental. It has a nice violet vibe.
    Evenstar

I love violet scents but many listed so far are more classic than perhaps you are looking for. As others have mentioned, Ormonde Women is incredibly beautiful, dark and damp.

I find Insolence reminds me of ratted and heavily sprayed hair studded with violets. I'm sure, if I could get that image out of my head, I'd be able to like it more.
    Don a wig of larks and fly!

I also love Midnight Violet - it was actually my first AL purchase. Very dark and earthy. Smells like moist garden after a rain.
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

I vote for Midnight Violet too. Interesting violet which avoids the powdery or candied qualities of many others. Berdoues is sugary on me, Insolence turns powdery, I like them both but MV is quite an interesting unisex composition, earthy and cool.

Red face Re: Best modern violet perfumes?

Aroma m Geisha violet, Calypso Violette, and Borsa di palma Violetta. Some folks really love Bois de violettes. Men wear it as much as woen.

Now i recommend these based the way they smell based on my extensive testing, not on my own skin, which is not suited for violets, but on women who really bring its best qualities.

Creed love in black is very lovely but i pull iris...

if you would like , I will look at my notes as i remember there is a violet scent available in one store in the entire world that I REALLY liked.

this is a really interesting story; i tested figue iris bty guerlain on a young woman and it smelled exactly like candied violets. everyone's chemistry is so different, it astounds me
    "If only there could be an invention that bottled up a memory, like scent. And it never faded, and it never got stale. And then, when one wanted it, the bottle could be uncorked, and it would be like living the moment all over again."
    — Daphne du Maurier

Jumping enthusiastically on the bandwagon for Ormonde Woman and Midnight Violet, but also highly recommending The Unicorn Spell, which is to me possibly the most unique of the modern violet scents I have sniffed.

Quote Originally Posted by Leesee View Post
    Jumping enthusiastically on the bandwagon for Ormonde Woman and Midnight Violet, but also highly recommending The Unicorn Spell, which is to me possibly the most unique of the modern violet scents I have sniffed.
    Oh, I forgot about THE UNICORN SPELL! That's a fun one, with a nice violets-peeking-out-from the-greenery impression.

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    Oh, I forgot about THE UNICORN SPELL! That's a fun one, with a nice violets-peeking-out-from the-greenery impression.
    What a spot-on description, Haunani.

Yes! I had forgotten this one! I think I'm going to try it side by side with Midnight Violet to day!
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 13th April 2009 at 12:41 PM.

What about the new one from Parfums de Nicolaï - Violette in Love ?
    Here is some informations about it (looks interesting):

A fresh modern luminous violet scent unlike the powdery sweet violets from the past. The note of violet slightly spiced with pink pepper and touched with sweet raspberry, is resting over the light musky base.
    The notes are: essence of Italian lemon, blackcurrant bud absolute, raspberry, essence of Turkish rose, a violet-iris accord, coriander essence, pink pepper, black pepper and musk. The fragrance is available in 50ml eau de toilette.
    My blog about perfume
    (Norwegian language)

Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgie View Post
    Yes! I had forgotten this one! I think I'm going to try it side by side with Midnight Violet to day!
    Interested to learn how you got on with this one. Unfortunately, I got a stick of celery poking out of a freshly creosoted fence, but I think I am in the minority!

My fav's are Penhaligon Violetta; Guerlain Meteorites (cheap); L'Artisan's Vert Violette; and Bois de Violette.

Quote Originally Posted by Guerlain-lover View Post
    What about the new one from Parfums de Nicolaï - Violette in Love ?
    Here is some informations about it (looks interesting):

A fresh modern luminous violet scent unlike the powdery sweet violets from the past. The note of violet slightly spiced with pink pepper and touched with sweet raspberry, is resting over the light musky base.
    The notes are: essence of Italian lemon, blackcurrant bud absolute, raspberry, essence of Turkish rose, a violet-iris accord, coriander essence, pink pepper, black pepper and musk. The fragrance is available in 50ml eau de toilette.
    Sounds VERY interesting! Not that I have a problem with old-fashioned powdery sweet violets, but this sounds a bit different from other violets I have tried. Not very "modern", but different and interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by VM I hate civet View Post
    Interested to learn how you got on with this one. Unfortunately, I got a stick of celery poking out of a freshly creosoted fence, but I think I am in the minority!
    I never would have put it so well, but I smell what you mean: something earthy, cold, vegetal, against, something harshly sweet..

I am always amazed at how different scents smell side by side--though I shouldn't be.

Suddenly Ava Luxe Midnight Violet--which alwasy seemed wet and earthy to me-- is sweet and girly next to the Unicorn.--but in a good way.

Instead of the woods, I'm now thinking of the tapestries at CLuny:

[Willfully not posting the "smell" panel which features carnation]

The opening of Unicorn Spell is is so fluorescent green, I need sunglasses. The violet note? If it is a violet note....Harsh, and sweet in a chemical way. The brightness softens to an earthier accord in the dry down and remains chilly, not like frost but like something that was once hot and smoky and that has now cooled down. The distinctly sharp almost chemical sweet violet (?) note is bothering me still.

It is an odd scent, and I like that, but too challenging to wear.I love the name, and what it could suggest about myth and nostalgia. Unfortunately, where I wanted hypnotic flowers, tapestries, and time travel, this scent only offers me Renaissance Fair.

The Ava Luxe is much gentler, more balanced, and has that silky soft musk base found in many of her scents.

Strangely, despite the odd earthiness of the scent, my overall reaction is that the Unicorn Spell has a screechy sweetness that Midnight Violet does not

As it turns out, for me the Unicorn Spell is the elixir that makes me fall in love with Midnight Violet.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 13th April 2009 at 11:17 PM.

Just wanted to direct your attention to Patricia de Nicolai's line - they just came out with a new scent called Violette in Love. It's supposedly a "modern violet" - I'm looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by VM I hate civet View Post
    I *love* the smell of celery; now I really, really must try the Unicorn Spell

Some great suggestions; also I must admit to never given Floris proper consideration and VM mentioned elsewhere that their Night Scented Jasmine has a hint of violet in it.

This will be a great resource to start properly exploring. Violet scents were so fashionable once upon a time and I was under the impression that the violet accord is not really used that much in modern scents, but perhaps I was wrong.

It's not modern at all, but Volcan D'Amour was a great violet frag

Thumbs up Re: Best modern violet perfumes?

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

I *love* the smell of celery; now I really, really must try the Unicorn Spell

.....This will be a great resource to start properly exploring. Violet scents were so fashionable once upon a time and I was under the impression that the violet accord is not really used that much in modern scents, but perhaps I was wrong.
    Regarding the celery stick, I shan't insist too strongly on it being celery. It could conceivably have been fresh peas, but it was a very cold vegetable, straight out of the chiller cabinet of the fridge, when you have the setting too high...

Dsquared2 SHE Wood is another unexpected scent with violet, though the overall vibe of that is along the same lines as Lovely and NR For Her.

Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgie View Post
    As it turns out, for me the Unicorn Spell is the elixir that makes me fall in love with Midnight Violet.
    Very pleased to find someone who agrees with me on Unicorn Spell - if anyone fancies a decant of it, I would be happy to let it go!

Meanwhile, Verte Violette, Midnight Violet, and Violetta by Penhaligon are on my "to test" list, the latter due to an uncharacteristically positive review by Mr Turin!

Although the Unicorn Spell contains a violet note, its more of a violet leaf fragrance than a violet one (hence the more green than powdery sweet feel).
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Although the Unicorn Spell contains a violet note, its more of a violet leaf fragrance than a violet one (hence the more green than powdery sweet feel).
    I like the green, leaf note--that's my favorite part of Unicorn Spell. It's the sweet part that doesn't work for me and ends up coming on too strong. Maybe it is the "the subtly sweet, berry-like accord in the middle" (as described on LuckyScent) that gets sharp and sweet on me.

I still appreciate the scent--just can't wear it. I wish it were even leafier,or that the eartheir tone dominated the sweet note.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 14th April 2009 at 02:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jardanel View Post
    Just wanted to direct your attention to Patricia de Nicolai's line - they just came out with a new scent called Violette in Love. It's supposedly a "modern violet" - I'm looking forward to it.
    I'm dying to try this. I've read about it on a few blogs but haven't found samples yet.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    I agree with this. Love that violet leaf note! I really like The Unicorn Spell, but it's a very different animal from the others we're discussing. Something has held me back from purchasing it; I think it's more of a curiosity for me than a fragrance I'd choose to wear regularly.

SL Bois de Violette. The Easter Bunny brought me a bottle!! Squee!!!
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

I like violet scents in general, and I also like The Unicorn Spell very much. But I can certainly see why it is not for everyone.

I really like the Laurence Dumont Vanille Violette that I wore today. It is so cheap, but a really cozy and nice take on violet. I think I payed $10 at Sephora. I think it is one of my best cheap buys. Try it if you get the chance.

I like violet scents in general, and I also like The Unicorn Spell very much. But I can certainly see why it is not for everyone.
    Leesee, Haunani, and other Unicorn admirers:
    There is definitely something compelling about it. Every few months I have an urge to try it again. I love perfumes that do that to me , even if I don'tend up wearing all of them.

I would also love to be in a room with someone wearing Unicorn Spell. I've only smelled it on myself and it doesn't work on my skin.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 14th April 2009 at 09:01 PM.