Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Turtle Vetiver Exercise No. 1 by Les Nez

I know...the name Turtle Vetiver Exercise No. 1 sounds a little kooky - but here's the deal: This guy, Michael H. Shamberg (an American filmmaker) decided to create a network of people, projects, ideas...etc and called the entire project 'Turtle'. Isabelle Doyen, from Les Nez Parfums, decided to create a fragrance. 'An Oultlaw Perfume in Progress', she's calling it.

I was intrigued because Helg at Perfume Shrine had mentioned that it: '...is a hard-core vetiver for true-blue fans...'.

I was able to get a sample from a generous Basenoter and I have to say...TVEN1 is hard core vetiver!

Have you ever been to a marine theme park or zoo filled with sea life in large aquatic tanks? Here and there, the observation areas are rocky and slightly damp - walking into them your nose is filled with the smell of standing water, salt and...a humid, almost tangy rock smell. If there are sea animals present - sometimes there's a whiff of animal presence in the air also...but very faintly. The top notes of TVEN1 smell just like this. Turtles! In a watery pond area! Duh. The mental connection made me smile.

Of course, I've smelled my share of vetiver fragrances that feature a rough-edged compost-soaked vetiver note (Vetiver by Etro and Vetiver by Annick Goutal) and dirty, root prominent vetiver (Route de Vetiver by MPG) but TVEN1 smells like rocky, muddy vetiver. Wet dirt. If you're familiar with Dirt by Demeter and many of Christopher Brosius' creations (CB I Hate Perfume) that feature dirt, you've smelled this accord. But what's interesting is that the dirt slides deliciously easily into the vetiver note - all of time churning out a Disney-World's-Pirates-of-the-Caribbean-rock-salt-pond-water aura.

Longevity is great - I applied some this afternoon and could still smell it later this evening.

There's not a fruit, tobacco, citrus, floral or wood note in sight. Which honestly, for this vetiver lover is quite refreshing. Of course, the flip side of this is, you might find this a little...boring. Not me. I'd love a bottle!

Les Nez has made it clear, this scent is named Exercise No. 1 because there will be other vetiver exercises, with a different formula, released in the future for the project. For now there are only 80 bottles of No. 1, $99 for a 50 ml atomizer. Samples are $10 (2.5 ml).
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 11th April 2009 at 05:53 AM.

Default Re: Turtle Vetiver Exercise No. 1 by Les Nez

Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

The Pirates of the Caribbean part sold me!

I haven't purchased a bottle yet, but I did thorougly enjoy all of my 2.5ml sample. Vetver and I usually don't get along very well. For Vetiver lovers this should be high on your list for sampling. I agree with mikeperez's assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    For Vetiver lovers this should be high on your list for sampling.
    I agree.

Thanks, Mike for the extra info! The scent association to the smell of turtles in a pond was ... intriguing. This one is obviously not intended for the mass market.

I found TV (of which I have a sample) to be a very solid and true-to-the-name 'vetiver' occupying some of the territory between Annick Goutal's Vetiver and Chanel's Sycamore - two of my favorites. There are, as I understand, very different kinds of vetiver sources (oils?). To my nose, the kind being used seems most similar to the one used in the original Annick Goutal Vetiver (of which I've heard rumors of a possible reformulation - which I hope is not true).
    Last edited by Delmar; 12th April 2009 at 01:31 PM.