Code of Conduct

Thread: Tommy Bahama

Default Tommy Bahama

I sampled Tommy Bahama, and WOW.. this is the most unique colognes I've ever smelled. I LOVE it. It reminds me of clean leather. I was just wondering how you guys would categorize this scent. I really have no idea how to categorize it. Does leathery aquatic make sense? Also, I was wondering when this cologne would be appropriate to wear. I know it can be worn anytime, but when do you guys think it is most fitting... Hot weather, warm weather, cool weather, cold weather, formal, casual, t-shirt etc..... Any opinions would be helpful. Thanks guys.

Default Re: Tommy Bahama

There are quite a few threads on this fragrance already but I would describe it as being more woodsy than leathery - it echoes some of the best bits of Gucci Homme I and CDG Man 2. I actually prefer it to both of them as it has a spicier edge to both which lasts far longer than the other two combined.

I think it is a modern classic. I love it.
    Last edited by HDS1963; 27th April 2009 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Spelling!
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

A great bottle. Literally and figuratively.

Last edited by Moneysuckle; 27th April 2009 at 06:12 PM.

It really is a good scent
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Would you all recommend this for a 22 year old guy? I was thinking of getting TB South Seas for my nephew. Would the regular TB be a better choice? I don't generally buy fragrance for men, so I am going by a SA's suggestions. She also recommended Polo Blue, D & G The One Men, and Carolina Herrera 212 Men.
    Last edited by semisweet411; 12th April 2009 at 05:30 AM.
    Laissez les bon temps rouler!

definate buy... I can tell your from experience that the 20-25 female demographic is absolutely in love with this scent, as am I. The best part about it is that you can pick up a decent sized bottle for under 30$... I can't think of any reason not to make the investment
    At your service

I bought it blind and was surprised! It is a good scent, showing some sort of incense-like quality. It lies halfway between the informal and the formal sides I can't really describe it. You can wear it in any seasons and in any type of clothes, whether it be smart, casual or formal, this scent can suit you just fine. Just my 2 cents though.
    Last edited by KiatBkk; 12th April 2009 at 05:57 AM.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

After reading the reviews of the SA suggestions, I think I will go with the regular TB instead. I will sample it first - I just can't give a gift of something I don't care for - but from what I'm reading, I think I'll like it just fine.
    Laissez les bon temps rouler!

I'm a big fan of Tommy Bahama as well. I use it for business casual & sport situations. It's a very masculine fragrance that reminds me of "guy" stuff: cigars, leather, brandy...in a linen suit watching the sunset on a beach...
    Snarky is as snarky does.

This is an excellent scent. There was an earlier thread praising it. When I saw a bottle at a remaindered shop, I snapped it up. I like it very much. I'd call it a warm spice scent. It wears very well throughout the day. It would be great in the evening and in cool weather, but it is not so rich that you couldn't wear it during the day in warmer weather. More a feel-good scent than a formal scent.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I'm wearing a sample of this right now as my SotD. This thread has inspired me to give this a shot. So far it is nice and I can smell it on my self. It has not grabbed me as being full bottle worthy, but then again, the best fragrances are always aquired tastes ( for me ).

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    I'm wearing a sample of this right now as my SotD. This thread has inspired me to give this a shot. So far it is nice and I can smell it on my self. It has not grabbed me as being full bottle worthy, but then again, the best fragrances are always aquired tastes ( for me ).
    I remembered what it smelled like a full year after sampling it in Macy's. A year later I saw a bottle of it at a silly price and snapped it up. I love the stuff. One of my favourite fragrances of the last couple of years.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Tommy Bahama hasn't launched a clinker yet. The original and South Seas, however, are truly outstanding.

I'm 90% percent sure I am going to buy Tommy Bahama. I still can't get a feel for when I should wear it. Any other comments? It's weird because I can see it as a summer day T-shirt cologne and a late night winter cologne.

Ive been trying to sample this for a while
    I was going to buy it blind but only if I can get a 3.4 for 20 bucks with shipping (got clsoe a couple of times)
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Quote Originally Posted by Hasupk@gmail.com View Post
    Ive been trying to sample this for a while
    I was going to buy it blind but only if I can get a 3.4 for 20 bucks with shipping (got clsoe a couple of times)
    They have mini collectibles and big bottles at TJ Maxx and Ross all the time. Unless they have a good return policy, don't blind buy. Thankfully Amazon has a very good refund policy and they didn't even want the bottle back.

This frag is one of the worst I've ever tried. It had me choked up with the cheap odor of musty plywood sawdust and black pepper. Sure it may have been a bad bottle but I was similarly sickened by the St. Barts vanilla dry-down. The St. Barts opening was wonderfully limey though.

Quote Originally Posted by PorkFat View Post
    They have mini collectibles and big bottles at TJ Maxx and Ross all the time. Unless they have a good return policy, don't blind buy. Thankfully Amazon has a very good refund policy and they didn't even want the bottle back.

This frag is one of the worst I've ever tried. It had me choked up with the cheap odor of musty plywood sawdust and black pepper. Sure it may have been a bad bottle but I was similarly sickened by the St. Barts vanilla dry-down. The St. Barts opening was wonderfully limey though.
    Oh wow. Oh well, we don't have to all like the same stuff I suppose!

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    Oh wow. Oh well, we don't have to all like the same stuff I suppose!
    And I'm not just trying to be contrarian here. I'll retry it with a sample later on to make sure I didn't get a bad batch/bottle. But Amazon isn't known for this and I like to give everything a second chance. But based on what was said in this thread and in the reviews, you'll love it.

This thread made me wear TB "Very Cool" my SotD!

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    This thread made me wear TB "Very Cool" my SotD!

I really like Very Cool, but I think it smells a lot like St. Barts IMO

I was surprised by just how good these scents are--the original is my favorite. I am not an Aloha Shirt guy, so I had misgivings about the whole lifestyle aspect of TB, which just shows that you should laways keep an open mind. My Creed rep at N-M in Beverly Hills left Creed to rep TB. I ran into her at a Macy's event and said, "how could you have done that?" She said that after Creed there were very few places she would go but TB stands up to the high level that Creed sets.

Because of this thread, I decided to wear Tommy Bahama today. Itís not a favorite, but I do like it. I get a lot of pepper in the opening and find the drydown semisweet and somewhat woody. I also get a brackish quality, which reminds me of swimming trunks drying in the sun after being in the ocean for most of the day. Itís unseasonably hot here today, and the fragrance seems to work well in the heat, but I think it could be worn pretty much anytime.

i need to buy a bottle of this good stuff..

I started a thread earlier on this too...this scent rocks. The only thing is that it doesn't seem to last that long. Am i wrong? Who's had good longevity? And yeah, I think it is great, for a t shirt, and sandals, as well as formal clothes. So versatile!

Quote Originally Posted by Dudester! View Post
    I started a thread earlier on this too...this scent rocks. The only thing is that it doesn't seem to last that long. Am i wrong? Who's had good longevity? And yeah, I think it is great, for a t shirt, and sandals, as well as formal clothes. So versatile!
    Try wearing it a few more times and see. The longevity on my skin is about 8 to 10 hrs.

Quote Originally Posted by PorkFat View Post
    And I'm not just trying to be contrarian here. I'll retry it with a sample later on to make sure I didn't get a bad batch/bottle. But Amazon isn't known for this and I like to give everything a second chance. But based on what was said in this thread and in the reviews, you'll love it.
    I already have it and have had for a few months now. I must confess I love it. It has a wonderful evolution and drydown and great longevity.

I'll say what I've said elsewhere - if this was by a niche house it would be hailed as a masterpiece. I wear it often and will always want it in my wardrobe.

Wearing it as my SOTD today--great stuff. Thanks for reminding me how good this is.

I tried it a the TB store, then walked across the street to Ross and saw it for $19.99 . Nice scent, certainly worth the $ if you get it at Ross or Marshalls.

Picked up a mini at TJ Maxx today. Good stuff. I'll keep my eye out for a full bottle.
    - E.J.

Still trying to get some
    weird
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

I love it ,too, and wear it often. Great unisex fragrance I think.
    I only have little travel size spray almost used up....
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/