SotY #1 Guerlain Vetiver

Total Wears: 671 (1.2%)
    Number of weeks of at least one wear: 52
    Low week: 3 wears in weeks 2 & 11
    High week: 27 wears in week 35
    Average: 12.88 wears/week
    Number ones: 22
    Top 10’s: 45

Here it is the scent most worn by the forum community of Basenotes over the last year, Guerlain Vetiver. I am sure this is no surprise to anyone who has been paying attention to the stats over the last year. To those of you who have just discovered this exercise it might be surprising to you. Guerlain Vetiver had an amazing rise. After six months it had a total of 244 wears. As you can see from the graph the third quarter was the peak wear period for Vetiver and in those three months it had 252 wears! Think about that in three months it eclipsed its previous six months’ worth of wears. It is during this last part of the year that Vetiver logged most of its 22 #1’s. It never had the long streak of top10’s that Terre D’Hermes did, the inexplicable drop in week 45 kept it from even having a solid last six months in the top 10. Vetiver did this without once being the beneficiary of a Scent Synchronization Day or any other event designed to increase its wears. It just showed up day in and day out.
    The obvious question is what changed in the third quarter? The answer I think is two-fold. First we got a new member for whom Vetiver was his signature scent and he wore and posted it for 72 straight days. What is interesting is I think the exposure to Basenotes got him to wear different things and now Vetiver is only a part of his rotation and not his only scent. The wearing by that member counted for over 10% of the year’s total wears of Vetiver. The other more broad factor is Vetiver is a true classic and the note vetiver is one of the most prevalent notes in masculine perfumes and we are a masculine-centric community. I have gone back and looked at previous polls and random SotD’s back as far as I can search and you know what; Vetiver is always there. It might not be anyone’s thought of the best scent but it does seem to make the cut to be in just about everyone’s wardrobe.
    It also doesn’t ever seem to bore anyone. Even when there are discussions around the best vetiver scent on the boards and there are new contenders like Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire or Lalique Encre Noire but Vetiver is always there as part of the conversation. To my mind this makes Vetiver the vetiver scent that all others are compared to and with credentials like that it is no wonder it is the Scent of the Year.
    Here is a graph comparing all of the scents in the top 10 in number of top 10’s and the times they made #1.

As I did throughout the year now that we’ve reached #1 it is time to let you know which scents just missed. There were two scents that just missed making the top 10 by one wear. One little wear after 365 days of counting! They were Guerlain Heritage and Serge Lutens Chergui. That one of the just missed scents is a Guerlain should be no surprise that it is Heritage is probably a surprise to most of you. That is because Heritage was one of the early top 10 scents that just inexplicably disappeared until popping up with two double digit weeks in weeks 45 and 46. Chergui should not be a surprise as it was easily the most popular Serge Lutens scent and we’ll talk about that a little more when we discuss the House in a few days.
    One final thought which someone posted in one of the replies to an earlier scent in the countdown, this is actually a pretty good starter set for the male beginner. The Creeds are the two only over $100 scents. All of them are available at a department store in the US, except for the Tauer. If I was telling someone where to start this isn’t a bad list.
    We’ve crowned a king of the SotD posters and it is Guerlain Vetiver.
    Back tomorrow with the beginning of the House discussion portion of the stats.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Default Re: SotY: #1 Guerlain Vetiver

I'm not as sure in my classifications of male scents--I guess this stackup would be 3 orientals and 7 fougeres? Interesting that there are no chypres, considering the leather love on the boards.

Interesting. I'm embarrassed to say that I've not yet tried Guerlain VETIVER. I must fix that.

Question for SMM that he may or may not want to answer: What is YOUR favorite of the top ten fragrances, and why?

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    Interesting. I'm embarrassed to say that I've not yet tried Guerlain VETIVER. I must fix that.

Question for SMM that he may or may not want to answer: What is YOUR favorite of the top ten fragrances, and why?
    Tough question for me. The only one that I'm not crazy about is Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain. I don't understand why it doesn't behave on me but it leaves me wanting something more than I'm getting every time I try it.

Of the reamaing nine which is my favorite? Hmmmmmm.......The three contenders would have to be Terre D'Hermes, Dior Homme and Habit Rouge.

Forced to choose between those three I think I would choose Dior Homme as it blends my love of the unusual with an interesting floral. I still have a hard time believing this is a mainstream release.
    Honestly you could strand me in a Motel 6 in the back end of nowhere with any of the nine scents I like and I would be perfectly happy as they all have excellent qualities to me.

Another question for Somerville Metro Man -- why are you not counting this year? Is it too time consuming? Or not as interesting and revealing as the first time around?

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    ...Forced to choose between those three I think I would choose Dior Homme as it blends my love of the unusual with an interesting floral. I still have a hard time believing this is a mainstream release.

Honestly you could strand me in a Motel 6 in the back end of nowhere with any of the nine scents I like and I would be perfectly happy as they all have excellent qualities to me.
    Somehow, I don't see you in a Motel 6 in the back end of nowhere, SMM! But thanks for the response.

Quote Originally Posted by kess View Post
    Another question for Somerville Metro Man -- why are you not counting this year? Is it too time consuming? Or not as interesting and revealing as the first time around?
    It is a little bit of both.
    It was taking me 10-12 hours a week to do the stats.
    I made a mistake in week 50 which took me two weeks to fully untangle.
    If I was still doing it I'd be two weeks behind, minimum.
    Also the patterns I was looking for were pretty evident by the end of the year.
    So my interest wasn't as strong as it was when I started.
    Also I wanted the time to dig into the whole data set to see things from the perspective of the whole year's worth of data and see if there were things I hadn't seen because my focus was so narrow while I was tracking.
    Are there some questions I still have?
    Yes but I'll be able to answer most of them just by reading the SotD posts.

It is a little bit of both.
    It was taking me 10-12 hours a week to do the stats.
    I made a mistake in week 50 which took me two weeks to fully untangle.
    If I was still doing it I'd be two weeks behind, minimum.
    Also the patterns I was looking for were pretty evident by the end of the year.
    So my interest wasn't as strong as it was when I started.
    Also I wanted the time to dig into the whole data set to see things from the perspective of the whole year's worth of data and see if there were things I hadn't seen because my focus was so narrow while I was tracking.
    That's understandable... although I think things will change in 2009, for example with Armani -- I wonder how their recent 'drop' of Prive's to TJMax would affect them? Will Armani be in top 10 house list? Will any of the Prive scents make it into top 10?

Also since you started counting women's wears some time into 2008, how would a full year change the stats? Are women now more active then in 2008? Or it's still a 'men's scents' dominated board?

Are there some questions I still have?
    Yes but I'll be able to answer most of them just by reading the SotD posts.
    Even if you are not counting, I'd love to see your 'unofficial' observations!

SMM - I hope someone takes note of your comment that these 10 would be an excellent introduction wardrobe for new members who want guidance.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Kudos to you SMM. This body of work is incredibly interesting, deliciously informative and each posting eagerly anticipated. Truly a wonderful gift to Basenotes, to us all and to those who will follow. Many thanks.

Ken
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell