SotY #1 Guerlain Vetiver

Total Wears: 671 (1.2%)
    Number of weeks of at least one wear: 52
    Low week: 3 wears in weeks 2 & 11
    High week: 27 wears in week 35
    Average: 12.88 wears/week
    Number ones: 22
    Top 10’s: 45

Here it is the scent most worn by the forum community of Basenotes over the last year, Guerlain Vetiver. I am sure this is no surprise to anyone who has been paying attention to the stats over the last year. To those of you who have just discovered this exercise it might be surprising to you. Guerlain Vetiver had an amazing rise. After six months it had a total of 244 wears. As you can see from the graph the third quarter was the peak wear period for Vetiver and in those three months it had 252 wears! Think about that in three months it eclipsed its previous six months’ worth of wears. It is during this last part of the year that Vetiver logged most of its 22 #1’s. It never had the long streak of top10’s that Terre D’Hermes did, the inexplicable drop in week 45 kept it from even having a solid last six months in the top 10. Vetiver did this without once being the beneficiary of a Scent Synchronization Day or any other event designed to increase its wears. It just showed up day in and day out.
    The obvious question is what changed in the third quarter? The answer I think is two-fold. First we got a new member for whom Vetiver was his signature scent and he wore and posted it for 72 straight days. What is interesting is I think the exposure to Basenotes got him to wear different things and now Vetiver is only a part of his rotation and not his only scent. The wearing by that member counted for over 10% of the year’s total wears of Vetiver. The other more broad factor is Vetiver is a true classic and the note vetiver is one of the most prevalent notes in masculine perfumes and we are a masculine-centric community. I have gone back and looked at previous polls and random SotD’s back as far as I can search and you know what; Vetiver is always there. It might not be anyone’s thought of the best scent but it does seem to make the cut to be in just about everyone’s wardrobe.
    It also doesn’t ever seem to bore anyone. Even when there are discussions around the best vetiver scent on the boards and there are new contenders like Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire or Lalique Encre Noire but Vetiver is always there as part of the conversation. To my mind this makes Vetiver the vetiver scent that all others are compared to and with credentials like that it is no wonder it is the Scent of the Year.
    Here is a graph comparing all of the scents in the top 10 in number of top 10’s and the times they made #1.

As I did throughout the year now that we’ve reached #1 it is time to let you know which scents just missed. There were two scents that just missed making the top 10 by one wear. One little wear after 365 days of counting! They were Guerlain Heritage and Serge Lutens Chergui. That one of the just missed scents is a Guerlain should be no surprise that it is Heritage is probably a surprise to most of you. That is because Heritage was one of the early top 10 scents that just inexplicably disappeared until popping up with two double digit weeks in weeks 45 and 46. Chergui should not be a surprise as it was easily the most popular Serge Lutens scent and we’ll talk about that a little more when we discuss the House in a few days.
    One final thought which someone posted in one of the replies to an earlier scent in the countdown, this is actually a pretty good starter set for the male beginner. The Creeds are the two only over $100 scents. All of them are available at a department store in the US, except for the Tauer. If I was telling someone where to start this isn’t a bad list.
    We’ve crowned a king of the SotD posters and it is Guerlain Vetiver.
    Back tomorrow with the beginning of the House discussion portion of the stats.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Default Re: SotY: #1 Guerlain Vetiver

SMM, thanks for all the hard work, brillant analysis and good comaraderie this project has engendered!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Your right, SMM, that is a great set of recommendations for a newbie. And I know that this is an unusual group in some ways but I would think it would be gratifying to Andy Tauer to know that here he is holding his own against huge companies with incomparably large marketing budgets, etc. And you've made it more than anecdotal, which I think is a significant accomplishment.
    Next task for you if you get bored is to explain why the spikes in wear are so precipitous: global weather patterns? Basenotes buzz? cosmic rays?
    Thanks for your interesting work!

Thanks for the number crunching and the analysis. I admire your dedication. You are a treasure to the board!
    Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard are sweeter. (Keats)

Dependent

Amazing effort! Guerlain Vetiver's my only "pure" vertiver scent and i can see why

I don't know how you did it, but thanks Somerville. Coolest thing ever.
    Sales thread here

Noob question - what is LdDM?

Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain
    ah yes - the Tauer frag. next on my sample list.

EXCELLENT WORK SMM - this is simply mindboggling stuff you've put together! I'm not sure what a "toppie" emoticon is but it seems like you deserve one, so here you go:

:toppie:

Thanks for the number crunching, SMM!

For three years or so, Guerlain Vetiver was the only scent I wore. Then I started looking around at other frags, found Basenotes, and the rest is history. I wear Vetiver a lot less than I used to, but whenever I put it on it's like an old friend. And it holds up very well to the competition. I suppose I consider myself lucky to have found it before really getting into fragrances. I've read a lot of stories on BN about people starting out with some drugstore monstrosity that they return to years later and now find awful. Guerlain Vetiver provides the opposite experience: smelling dozens of other fragrances gives me a renewed appreciation for its artistry.
    Last edited by PhinClio; 12th April 2009 at 05:17 PM.

SMM

A*Men, M7 and Envy have dominated the Basenote Awards for evening scents. Curious how they fared in the SOTY standings . . .

Thanks.

Thanks for the hardwork man....thats pure dedication.

Very cool research Somerville This is particularly interesting information because I, after years of fragrance appreciation, have just only very recently become addicted to Guerlain Vetiver. As a matter of fact in trying to choose a fragrance that would last me through a 12 hour travel day, and would keep me smiling and interested throughout the duration, it was Guerlain Vetiver that won the coin toss. As a matter of fact, there was no coin toss. I knew I'd wear it two days ago when the lovely basenoter PatrucciJC gifted me with a large decant). I just love it. A new convert here!
    Last edited by nthny; 12th April 2009 at 08:26 PM.

What is so surprising?
    GV is the best men's frag ever.
    That's all:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Moneysuckle View Post
    SMM

A*Men, M7 and Envy have dominated the Basenote Awards for evening scents. Curious how they fared in the SOTY standings . . .

Thanks.
    I have some thoughts on exactly that and it will be the theme of one of my special topics after the House discussions are through.

Quote Originally Posted by PhinClio View Post
    Thanks for the number crunching, SMM!

For three years or so, Guerlain Vetiver was the only scent I wore. Then I started looking around at other frags, found Basenotes, and the rest is history. I wear Vetiver a lot less than I used to, but whenever I put it on it's like an old friend. And it holds up very well to the competition. I suppose I consider myself lucky to have found it before really getting into fragrances. I've read a lot of stories on BN about people starting out with some drugstore monstrosity that they return to years later and now find awful. Guerlain Vetiver provides the opposite experience: smelling dozens of other fragrances gives me a renewed appreciation for its artistry.
    You actaully summarized what I was trying to get at. Thanks.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Excellent exposition, SMM. You make numbers "fragrant".

I still can't believe i have never smelt Guerlain's Vetiver. Makes me feel so handicapped
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

SMM - - You treated us to a truly impressive report, both in your research and presentation. It was highly informative and fun to read. Like perfaddict above/below me, Guerlain Vetiver flew under the radar for me, but I'm going to give it a try ASAP!

Thanks again!

Thumbs up Re: SotY: #1 Guerlain Vetiver

SMM, thank you for all the hard work. It is a treat for all BN'ers.
    I love GV too and am looking forward to wearing it as the weather warms up. I like to reserve my vetivers for warmer weather.
    Thanks again!
    RM

Thanks SMM!
    I am very impressed with the data.
    This is a truly beautiful fragrance that trascends time, weather and gender.
    Evenstar

Kudos to you man for making it happen. Brilliant!
    Peace ~ Markymark

72 wears by one person or not, this one deserves to win.

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Excellent exposition, SMM. You make numbers "fragrant".

I still can't believe i have never smelt Guerlain's Vetiver. Makes me feel so handicapped
    i'm not kidding, you'll probably want to smell like this.

Thank you for making SOT threads meaningful even for people who never post there. Because of you Scent of the Day threads have become more popular than ever in 2008-09, and without you none of the other threads would even exist!

Meanwhile, what do the non posters wear?

Speaking of myself as one of them: I know all of these ten but hardly wear any of them any more. I will never be without Guerlain Vetiver, at least in the glacé version, as long as there are summers. I think Rive Gauche Homme is a must for someone with >50 frags crowding his home, but I seldom wear this. I either own, have owned, or know the others well. Some tired me out quickly or have too much of something that won't agree with my idea of the ideal fragrance. If I hang on to them nevertheless it's for reference or other (secondary) reasons.

I always love what I am wearing from a plain Cologne to Kouros and Montale oudhs, and it's something different every day except those in nature when I would prefer to be free of all perfume - and must curse the fragrance of my sun blocker !
    Last edited by narcus; 13th April 2009 at 07:18 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I purchased my first bottle of Guerlain Vetiver two weeks ago after reading about it in forum. I was not disappointed. It will always be in my collection from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by Moneysuckle View Post
    I'd be interested to know that as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    I have some thoughts on exactly that and it will be the theme of one of my special topics after the House discussions are through.
    'Fascinating compilation of stats, SMM! A very big thank you!
    "Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe

SMM: a heartfelt thankyou!

This place wouldn't be the same without your contribution.

I wonder about GV being the "most worn", is it also "worn by the most people"?

Thanks again mate!

Oh, thank you!
    I`ve got hard times with abbreviations.
    Like I remember that BdP is Bois de Portugal (Creed), RGPH is Rive Gauche pour homme (YSL), and I even managed to remember L`Air du Desert Marocain (Andy Tauer). Terre d`Hermes, Habit Rouge, Green Irish Tweed are also quite familiar.

But DH and Ego still are unknown... Enlighten me, please!

As for Vetiver Guerlain - OK, I`m glad for that old friend of mine.
    I stock up some versions so far.
    Vintage EDC & EDT and 1994 normal EDT, and I`m not sure it`s enough for me.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    SMM: a heartfelt thankyou!

This place wouldn't be the same without your contribution.

I wonder about GV being the "most worn", is it also "worn by the most people"?

Thanks again mate!
    I didn't quantify this but it is my impression that Vetiver is also worn by the most people, too.

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post
    Oh, thank you!
    I`ve got hard times with abbreviations.
    Like I remember that BdP is Bois de Portugal (Creed), RGPH is Rive Gauche pour homme (YSL), and I even managed to remember L`Air du Desert Marocain (Andy Tauer). Terre d`Hermes, Habit Rouge, Green Irish Tweed are also quite familiar.

But DH and Ego still are unknown... Enlighten me, please!
    DH= Dior Homme
    Ego= Egoiste

I gave this one a try about a year ago and didn't like it much (old man, meh! ) but because it won the SotY I decided to give it another try. Boy am I glad I did! I don't have a vetiver frag yet, nor a tobacco frag. This one is great, containing both notes all at once in a perfectly balanced and manly composition.

Thanks basenoters!
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

TDH is the most 2nd used scent, it won B'notes Gold for 2008, it has a ton of great reviews, and yet the majority of posters denied that it would one day be considered a "classic." (See that thread).

As I said on that thread, there seems to be a huge disconnect with this fragrance...people (here) love it, buy it, wear it, and yet deny that it'll reach iconic status. I mean, hell...out of the thousands of male scents to wear, wouldn't you think that the #2 most worn fragrance would get a little respect? LOL! If you don't think what you're wearing is material for "classic" status, what then are you wearing? Just for the record, I don't think it'll be a classic...I think it already is one.

Anyhoo, thanks for all the work. It was really enjoyable to read. I have Guerlain Vetiver but have been putting off wearing it because I associate it with a "warm weather" scent, though obviously most don't. It'll be my SOTD tomorrow, even though the weather in Seattle is still in the high 40s'-low 50s. And raining, of course.
    Last edited by Butthead53; 29th April 2009 at 05:46 AM.

It's a fantastic scent, a top-5 scent for me.
    My most often worn scent. My favorite Guerlain.

hmmm, what's the updated version for 2011?

Thanks for sharing

The prevalence of Vetiver is totally justified, due to several intrinsic qualities of this scent

Excellent work

Looking forward to the next revealing result.

Till now I have used Encre Noire,Sycomore,Grey Vetiver,Carven,Lanvin,Vetiver Extreme....and Guerlain Vetiver.

Out of this I got tired of Encre Noire and Sycomore linear and dark vetiver note in a single wearing.....Grey Vetiver smoky citrusy Mini Guerlain Vetiver which is also linear.Lanvin and Carven are not good enough to stand in this list.

Excuse my untrained nose....but everytime I visit any of the above mentioned Vetiver I really miss Guerlain Vetiver.....the sharp yet light fresh vetiver with tobacco which never becomes linear and gives atleast 9 hours on average.

Encre Noire is good with projection and Longevity but its not something I can enjoy straight in two days or even twice a week...

Sycomore.....well as far as my personal experience concerned I found Encre Noire better and longer lasting than Sycomore...which does not give me more than 6 hours max.

Tom Ford Grey Vetiver is good IMO compared to Sycomore and EN...as it is not that harsh and It is longer lasting and pleasant.

But I always go back to Guerlain Vetiver.....Don't know why I can not be satisfied with so many good vetiver fragrances!!!!