Code of Conduct

Default Seasonal styles?

So I was on my way to work this morning, sun was out, a few white fluffy clouds in the sky, only a light breeze. Looked like this was going to be the first "real" day of spring for us!

I got motivated and thought to myself "This is a great time to start your first spring and summer lineup!" I was feeling it, looking forward to it all day! Left work and the sky greeted me with some nasty rainclouds, cold bite in the air, you get the idea. My mood to do this disintegrated almost immediately but by the time I got home I figured I could at least start laying down a game plan and maybe ask a question I've been wondering about...

I've noticed websites typically list fragrances as "oriental, spicy, woodsy, aquatic, cirtusy and fruity." Not sure if I missed anything there, please correct if so. Anyhow is it safe to assume that on the average, oriental and spicy fragrances are more geared to fall and winter seasons and citrus/fruity and aquatics are more for summer and spring? Generally the oriental and spicy fragrances seem to be much more potent and give more of a wake than the citrus and fruity ones.

I'm sure there's thread after thread about this but feel free to drop some fragrance suggestions for the spring and summer seasons as well. I don't own much so don't worry about suggesting something I may already have.

Thanks gang, glad to be a part of this little community!

-Dave
    Last edited by xdsjx; 14th April 2009 at 12:15 AM.

Default Re: Seasonal styles?

Yeah, generally the more citrusy, fresher, aquatic, cleaner scents seem to work in better harmony with the heat. I prefer the less obtrusive fragrances. My suggestions:

Creed Erolfa - A minimalist masterpiece. Salty, happy, yummy. Try a sample here http://theperfumedcourt.com/Products...Erolfa-dw.aspx

Gendarme EDP - Lasts much longer than the fleeting original version. This one can endure through the more sweltering days. Reminds me in a way of Magic Sizing fabric spray. Good thing I happen to like that scent.

Acqua Di Parma Colonia Intensa - More citrusy than the above two. A very happy, very southern European scent, especially after 10 minutes of dry down. Oh how I love this one. Try a sample here http://theperfumedcourt.com/Products...dPIntensa.aspx

Geo F Trumper GFT or Geo F. Trumper Portugal. Also great. Beautiful, refreshing
    Last edited by adonis; 14th April 2009 at 07:20 AM.

Same here. It was 70 and beautiful in Portland last week. This past weekend and today was rainy and 50's. I was all hyped to dive into my new warm weather scents but now I have to wait again. Not that I wouldn't mind a few more weeks with Cedre and 3rd Man... :P

For the turning season this spring adonis as ever has good recommendations. Less complex straightforward scents work well in warmer weather. I would suggest Guerlian Vetiver, Terre d'Hermes, and a citrus with a bit more going on such as Eau Sauvage.

Spring came here last week, and I immediately started to think about good spring scents! To me, spring is about green and fresh scents, and my two favourites at the moment happen to be unisex: Yerbamate by Lorenzo Villoresi and Jardins de Kérylos by Parfumerie Generale.
    I think you are right about the oriental, spicy heavy scents belonging to winter, I'm putting mine away for a while now, as I do with warm sweaters and winter clothes.

When I looked at my collection, there's just a few spring/summer fragrances, probally due to the weather in the Netherlands.. wich is mostly cold. Though, I still have an almost full bottle of Acqua di Gio.. I also wear Fuel for Life allot more while the weather is getting a bit better.
    unico grande amore.

Dependent

hey there, welcome! u cant have it sadder here where we have no seasons. its humid and tropical year round. so how i decide what to wear depends on 1. air condition, 2. occasion, 3 mood.

if i were outdoors, its probably when its less humid or hot or doing some sports, and during that time i love to wear "fresh" type frags, coz the risk of something cloying and the fatal mixture of perspiration doesnt leave anyone a good impression.

id like to suggest using LDIssey during the hotter days, firstly coz its lively and very smooth and its uniquely yuzu based(ive not tried anything else that has yuzu in it). Also some Bvlgari Aqua or Extreme is very good with some light breeze on a hot day. I believe you cant go wrong with those. Im quite certain not many with disagree IMO.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Wüst View Post
    Though, I still have an almost full bottle of Acqua di Gio.
    i cant relate more. i wont even bother asking why its full. Bvlgari Aqua absolutely killed adg for me

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    i cant relate more. i wont even bother asking why its full. Bvlgari Aqua absolutely killed adg for me
    haha, well.. i've been using it for probally 6 years.. that's the only reason why I bought it again, a while ago, and now the summer is comming.. I might actually use it.
    unico grande amore.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Wüst View Post
    haha, well.. i've been using it for probally 6 years.. that's the only reason why I bought it again, a while ago, and now the summer is comming.. I might actually use it.
    great for ya, no doubt its really pop with the lasses i have to admit, we all have different preferences yeah, and im sure its done well for you, just not for me, i do spray some on my sheets coz its therapeutic for me somehow, i think i mentioned it sometime back, i like the smell of it when i slp, i just dont like the dry down when i did wear it in the past. just curious, what do u like about adg over bvg aqua? i find adg to be a bit cucumberish smelling, aqua has a stronger mossy thick note that i really like

great for ya, no doubt its really pop with the lasses i have to admit, we all have different preferences yeah, and im sure its done well for you, just not for me, i do spray some on my sheets coz its therapeutic for me somehow, i think i mentioned it sometime back, i like the smell of it when i slp, i just dont like the dry down when i did wear it in the past. just curious, what do u like about adg over bvg aqua? i find adg to be a bit cucumberish smelling, aqua has a stronger mossy thick note that i really like
    I did try Aqua quickly.. but not a thorough test. I do like the cucumberish smell, that's why I probally like Narciso Rodriguez - for Him aswell..
    unico grande amore.

Dependent

I use NR too lol, but i dont find too much similarities to adg, i find it much sweeter and hardly aquatic, but it does seem we have some common interests, i would encourage a more thourough bvg aqua sampling, the dry down is fantastic!

I also have a 99% full bottle of ADG, but I'm definately buying Bulgari Aqua for sure. The reviews sold me.

I just picked up from an online fragrance shop a bottle of LDIssey and Mugler Cologne for starters last night. From reading several posts, this blind buy should be fairly safe. Guerlian Vetiver, Terre d'Hermes and Acqua Di Parma Colonia seem to be prominantly featured on these forums as well. I will poke around for samples a bit and generate some ideas but I think I would like a solid 4 or 5 bottles to rotate through these next few months.

Thanks for the input!

-Dave

It's very strange, I like this too... And I think I've mentioned, AdG for me is a fragrance that says "I've made it." (actually, all the Armani fragrances say that) Which is why I haven't bought it or any other Armani. Because I haven't made it yet haha!

But it's funny you mention it, because I also find AdG soothing when I sleep. I think that might be the same reason it's "pop with the lasses," it's nothing really thrilling, very safe and soft but not bloated or... you catch my drift?