Code of Conduct

Default New Here saying Hi!

I am just getting into niches after being into designer frags and more mainstream stuff. Here is my first order from TPC and am already another!

Michael Kors Island - Bermuda
    Michael Kors Island - Fiji
    Michael Kors Island - Hawaii
    Apres L'Ondee EDT
    L'Heure Bleue EDP
    Jicky EDT
    Kai Eau de Parfum
    Bond No. 9 Chinatown

Thinking for the next one
    Un Lys
    Child
    Guerlain 68
    Caron Tabac Blond
    Fracas

Anything else that I should look at as far as must haves go? I also have a L'Artisan sampler on the way too. This may get out of hand fast!
    Outside of a dog a book is a mans best friend, inside of a dog it's too dark to read - Groucho Marx

Default Re: New Here saying Hi!

Hi there jennster, and welcome to the community. Have lots of fun in the sampling and sniffing explorations!
    I bet you'll find the L'Artisan sampler very interesting.
    If you like rich scents, you might check out Serge Lutens.
    If you like really interesting, distinctive scents, try Diptyque.
    Cheers,
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Hi Jennster, welcome to BN.
    Your first order sounds great. Your second is also impressive. You sound like you are well on the road to perfumista status.
    One of my suggestions would be; explore other classic pre-90's Guerlain scents, don't just go with the ones everyone chats about. Liu is incredible, Chant d'Aromes a treasure, Nahema, Chamade, and others. Same for Caron, look over the house directory to find some of their other classics, Infini is never mentioned but it took more than a decade to create (nowadays a month is considered too long).
    But take it slow and enjoy your journey, it is a wonderful one.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

Welcome Jennster, have fun

Hi all!

odysseusm: I was looking at both SL and Diptuque, they both seem overwhelming (particularly Serge) BUT I know I will get there.

Brielle: Thank you for the great advice I was actually looking at Nahema and Chamande. I will add one of those to my next order

Thanks for the warm welcome!!
    Outside of a dog a book is a mans best friend, inside of a dog it's too dark to read - Groucho Marx

Howdy again, don't worry about the "overwhelming" aspect. I'm still working my way through the catalogues of SL, Diptyque and others. Take all the time you want... and enjoy every step (or sniff) along the way.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Blog Entries

Welcome Jennster! I'd love to make some recommendations, but I want to know more about what you like. Are you currently looking for something summery and floral to wear right now? Exploring the classics? Wanting to get your nose into the extreme scents? All of the above? It will come to that eventually, of course!

p.s.~ It can seem very overwhelming at first, oh yes! I felt exactly the same way. Just sniff as much as you can as often as you can. If you're near some high-end retailers like Neiman Marcus or Nordstrom, you can always drop in and spritz yourself with a tester (or four ). NM carries niche brands Jo Malone and Serge Lutens, as well as the classics like Guerlain and Creed. I find when I chat with the SAs, listen to what they want to tell me (even if I already know or know better ), and just be friendly, I often walk away with samples!
    Last edited by Heartwood; 14th April 2009 at 04:32 AM. Reason: added p.s.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

I would like to extend a warm welcome, new friend! Don't be frightened by the long list of Serge Luten's-it may take you awhile but I assure you they are well worth it! Many you won't consider wearable but they are as complex and varied as any house you'll ever find and so interesting!

You have to hand it to him, he takes risks. I love that. The first ones I tried nearly ruined it for me because they hit me really wrong. But if I had stopped sampling I never would have found some of his true greats and that would have been a shame. At some point take a look at his stuff. I bet you'd end up with a bottle in the end!

Welcome, jennster! :wave: My recommendation for dipping a toe into the Lutens waters would be Daim Blond: soft, subtle, sophisticated. The L'Artisan line is also one of my favorites -- some here mention poor longevity, but most L'Artisans last forever on my skin. Wherever your nose takes you, it'll be fun!

You seem to like grapefruit, which is one of my favorite notes for spring & summer (Floris Pink Grapefruit, Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune, Moschino ILoveLove, etc.). In the colder months, though, you'd get only gourmand recs outta me.
    Last edited by tang; 14th April 2009 at 05:30 AM.

jennster, welcome to basenotes! have a nice time here. i like your collection already, haha
    unico grande amore.

an_oud_girl: I am leaning toward summer/lighter right now BUT I am wanting to take a look at the classics as well as find a unique signature scent (not to say that I wont play the field!) so I guess all of the above. I will be at nordies tomorrow so I plan on dousing myself heavily lol. I do live within ten mins. of a NM so I am very fortunate like that.

Tara: I haven't written him off, just working my way up to him!

Tang: Thanks for the heads up on the Daim Blonde, I will also look at the other grape fruit scents you mentioned. It is one of my favorites!

Justin:

What a great community!!

Dependent

Nice to have you! you're at starters with this forum, but your collection already speaks otherwise

"this may get out of hand fast" .................... you dont say ;P
    Last edited by MFJ; 15th April 2009 at 06:22 AM.