Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Malaysian Basenoters

Jonny4: I think if you sample only one fragrance each time... then it could still be a long process.

although i am wondering if we could conspire with our SG friends for cheaper perfumes...luxasia does have yearly sales but its often mysterious, rather get it from elsewhere lol. too painful waiting

Not sure what you mean by conspire.

Anyway.. you might not be interested in Luxasia, as i just looked at the list of fragrances they import and its mostly designer frags.
    Last edited by teohha; 23rd September 2009 at 05:10 PM.

Dependent

^ I think Luxasia hasn't updated the list. Escentials is part of Luxasia, and they are responsible for most of the niche fragrances. They have a section here in Tangs. It may be different in Malaysia. Luxasia sales here often have a good amount of niche.
    Currently wearing: Chergui by Serge Lutens

Ah.. good to hear. Thanks for the Intel matthewfoo.

Ever had the feeling 20 dollar bottle of wine is no different from a Chateau Lafite.. This is where i am at with Niche.. not yet good enough to appreciate the difference.

We have Essentials here too but the niche frags available there are limited to L'Artisan and The Different Company. A limited variety of Creeds is available a floor below in the men's section.

So to all frag enthusiasts in Malaysia, do check out Tangs@Pavilion for the niche houses mentioned above. Tangs does have 50% discount on certain frags and ancillary products, so keep a look out the next time u drop by Tangs. Head next door to Parkson for Annick Goutal and the widest selection of designer frags in Kuala Lumpur.

Other places to check out are Isetan KLCC and Isetan The Gardens for Creeds and Annick Goutals. Amouage is available at Isetan KLCC. Other non dept store shops worth checking out are Just Parfum (Pavilion, Sunway Pyramid and 1U), Perfume Gallery (1U), Perfume Shop (Mid Valley Megamall) and Perfume Jewel (Tropicana City Mall). These places stock up mostly on the usual designer stuff but once in a while you might find some gems if u are lucky. Prices are 20%-30% cheaper than dept stores. My favourite place at the moment is Perfume Jewel (Tropicana City Mall) as the SAs there are helpful and not annoying plus the display there is easier on the eyes and less cluttered than other shops. However prices are similar to the other shops. I have spotted the odd Hermes and Cartier frag in Perfume Jewel before too even though they do not carry either brand.

I have not checked places like Pavilion and KLCC recently so there might be some new niche house frags available but i highly doubt so. There is little variety in niche frags in Malaysia but I have no doubt that in the near future, more houses will be become available.

If anyone has anything else to add please feel free to do so. Any Malaysian interested in swapping or purchasing used frags from me do feel free to pm me. Thank you for your attention.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Dependent

I have a feeling too that more niche will be available in Malaysia, Jon. You guys have Amouage! We didn't have that until recently, or so I read online.
    Currently wearing: Chergui by Serge Lutens

I feel the need, the need for speed sampling!

I doubt the Niche frags are for Malaysians though. My impression is that the frags are there more for tourist. Anyway its a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by teohha View Post
    I feel the need, the need for speed sampling!

I doubt the Niche frags are for Malaysians though. My impression is that the frags are there more for tourist. Anyway its a good thing.
    At least it's the need for sampling not the need for buying yet

It's hard to assume that only foreigners buy niche because we don't actually post our favourite frags and current frag lineup on FB for example
    Making it hard to determine who buys what. But on the other hand with the prices of niche sometimes equaling a person's monthly car loan payment, the average Malaysian might really think twice maybe ten times before buying a niche frag.

Nice to see this thread coming back alive once more. When i started it only matthewfoo from Singapore responded. Thanks to teaohha and joey for reviving this thread and our neighbors across the causeway for contributing too
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Quote Originally Posted by JoNnY 4 View Post
    At least it's the need for sampling not the need for buying yet

It's hard to assume that only foreigners buy niche because we don't actually post our favourite frags and current frag lineup on FB for example
    Making it hard to determine who buys what. But on the other hand with the prices of niche sometimes equaling a person's monthly car loan payment, the average Malaysian might really think twice maybe ten times before buying a niche frag.

Nice to see this thread coming back alive once more. When i started it only matthewfoo from Singapore responded. Thanks to teaohha and joey for reviving this thread and our neighbors across the causeway for contributing too
    also niche frags are rare and hard to find in msia. it's basically too much work to go after em. I wouldnt pay 900 for a frag, even if its amouage, and even 700 for TDC and Chanel les exclusifs is too much.

Oh i don't mean that only foreigners buy Niche.. this was the impression the SA gave me. She seemed to automatically count me out as a potential buyer when i asked about the price. She replied it with much aplomb, and waited to see if i ran away. Maybe my face did turn pale for a second. Just kidding, i actually already knew the price.

First you buy RM100 over frag.. then you buy RM200 over frag.. then RM300 over frag.. then its just a hop skip away to a 500-900 dollar Niche.

maybe we guys should really shop together. Then can get to know the SAs more hehe

at least I wont get the "you again?" look from them >_<

Hope you guys don't mind another neighbor chiming in. I'm also a bit disenchanted with niche scents based on what I've tried, esp. with their price tags. There are a few new places focusing on niches here. They carry Annick Goutal, L'Artisan, Penhaligon's, Carthusia, ELdO, Parfums de Rosine, Etro, CdG, Clive Christian, and TDC (but not the complete line; no AG Les Orientalistes). I also haven't seen any Lutens while I really want to test this line.

I'm also not sure I'd be willing to shell $100 or more for a 100ml bottle. Good thing that I've managed to get few niche bottles for reall cheap price. Try to look for reliable small shops whose owners share the passion for fragrance. They sometimes bring in various scents for very low price.
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

Quote Originally Posted by zliang View Post
    Hope you guys don't mind another neighbor chiming in. I'm also a bit disenchanted with niche scents based on what I've tried, esp. with their price tags. There are a few new places focusing on niches here. They carry Annick Goutal, L'Artisan, Penhaligon's, Carthusia, ELdO, Parfums de Rosine, Etro, CdG, Clive Christian, and TDC (but not the complete line; no AG Les Orientalistes). I also haven't seen any Lutens while I really want to test this line.

I'm also not sure I'd be willing to shell $100 or more for a 100ml bottle. Good thing that I've managed to get few niche bottles for reall cheap price. Try to look for reliable small shops whose owners share the passion for fragrance. They sometimes bring in various scents for very low price.
    unfortunately no such shops over here at msia...you sgians are so lucky in that aspect >_<

Quote Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
    unfortunately no such shops over here at msia...you sgians are so lucky in that aspect >_<
    Psst...joey..zliang is from Indonesia...

Quote Originally Posted by JoNnY 4 View Post
    Psst...joey..zliang is from Indonesia...
    but the flags are so similiar!!

Well Joey86 i doubt they will remember you less if you go as a group!

Don't worry about the "You again" look, just think of it as poor salesmanship. Most times i will finally buy from the SA that has allowed me to test freely and have been helpful.

Oh i don't mean that only foreigners buy Niche.. this was the impression the SA gave me. She seemed to automatically count me out as a potential buyer when i asked about the price. She replied it with much aplomb, and waited to see if i ran away. Maybe my face did turn pale for a second. Just kidding, i actually already knew the price.

First you buy RM100 over frag.. then you buy RM200 over frag.. then RM300 over frag.. then its just a hop skip away to a 500-900 dollar Niche.
    you can start with Chanel's Les Exclusifs here in 1U hehe. I get Coromandel when i layer Egoiste with M7

LoL.. So u see.. you don't need Niche. after all.

Here in Manila I found Lutens at the Shiseido free-standing stores (not the counters)
    The SA was pretty surprised I knew about Lutens, but I didn't have the heart to test knowing I wont get any anyway haha. I saw a pretty extensive line in one of the Shiseido store here, so I hope you'll be able to find the same there in Indo. They're going for around USD 100 here.
    Currently wearing: Essence Oud by Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by funhuntr View Post
    Here in Manila I found Lutens at the Shiseido free-standing stores (not the counters)
    The SA was pretty surprised I knew about Lutens, but I didn't have the heart to test knowing I wont get any anyway haha. I saw a pretty extensive line in one of the Shiseido store here, so I hope you'll be able to find the same there in Indo. They're going for around USD 100 here.
    just test them and try to recreate them by layering them with similar smelling perfume omg i am cheap

Quote Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
    just test them and try to recreate them by layering them with similar smelling perfume omg i am cheap
    Nothing beats the real thing period.

Don't forget, by layering you are essentially paying double!

Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by funhuntr View Post
    Just asked the SA at Shiseido counter yesterday and she had no clue what I was talking about. I know, I know, shouldn't rely much on the SA's info.

Just asked the SA at Shiseido counter yesterday and she had no clue what I was talking about. I know, I know, shouldn't rely much on the SA's info.
    Aw, hope you get lucky soon. Try to check if there are Shiseido free-standing stores, not counters. The smaller counters here in Manila only sell makeup and skincare, the larger counters include also Shiseido fragrances (like Zen) and giftsets. Free standing stores (like the ones in Greenbelt5 and Glorietta3 --> note to Manila basenoters, fyi) carry Lutens.
    Currently wearing: Essence Oud by Ferrari

I just checked Serge Lutens' website and there is no point of sales currently in Indonesia.

bah its just an extra spritz!

Thumbs up Re: Malaysian Basenoters

deleted.
    Last edited by ColouRs_:); 10th October 2009 at 10:45 AM.

deleted
    Last edited by JoNnY 4; 10th October 2009 at 09:12 AM.