Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Question EdP and EdT variants-- avoiding the disparaged flankers?

We understand well that there are very perceptible differences in the concentrations of a particular fragrances. But I've noticed lately that there have been fragrances where the edp and edt concentrations actually contain very different notes, like the rose in Narciso Rodriguez edp that is absent in the edt. Today I'm wearing Hermès Kelly Calèche edt and edp. The edp is clearly so much fruitier than the edt, and the leather so downplayed, that it feels more like "KC Summer," or some such thing.

So I wonder, are the more high-end perfume houses attempting to avoid releasing oft-maligned "flanker" scents by issuing them as varying concentrations instead? Thoughts?
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Default Re: EdP and EdT variants-- avoiding the disparaged flankers?

Armani does the same with Code. Chanel does it with all of their fragrances. YSL elle is 'all flankered' out' already by EdT and intense concentrations.
    I liked that Dior had done EdP and EdC for Dior Homme rather than releasing an unrelated flanker, until Sport came along.
    J'adore has about 80 different concentrations. Actually I got some Dior training notes this weekend, and they say that Parfum is more about base notes, EdP about the heart and EdT about the top. It's a nice way of looking at it, but when things smell entirely unrelated, as J'adore EdP does to all it's concentrations it stops making sense!
    But yes, I think this is a trend that is definitely growing.
    Last edited by Gblue; 14th April 2009 at 07:19 AM.