Code of Conduct

Question Have you returned opened fragrance to Amazon?

I ordered a 3.4 ounce bottle of Tommy Bahama signature cologne directly from Amazon. Based on the reviews here and on Amazon and my love of woods and spice, I thought I'd love it.

Turns out it smells like musty saw dust mixed with black pepper. It makes me nauseous and my airways close up.

I noticed Amazon has an automatic return procedure online. If I use this and the reason isn't valid (I think the cologne is disgusting) for a return, what will happen once they get the product back?

I've spent tens of thousands at Amazon over the years buying everything and anything. Do you think I could parlay this into a way to get a measly $30 back for a blind purchase gone bad? I can't find anyone to buy this stuff so I'm probably just going to throw it out but I'm hoping to recoup some money if I can.
    Last edited by PorkFat; 14th April 2009 at 05:31 AM.

Question Re: Have you returned opened fragrance to Amazon?

This is a good question and I'm interested in the answer too.
    I know that Sephora and Nordstrom have a no-nonsense return policy but I always thought others would refuse to take back an opened item (unless it turned out to be fake, etc.). I did return a bottle of Zino that I thought was a knockoff to an e-tailer and got refunded. I think you'd be able to do it.

I know that smaller businesses won't take anything like that back.
    Does anyone know how the Scent Bar/Luckyscent or Aedes deal with that issue?

Also, I was recently told by a friend that an SA at Macy's told her she can absolutely return an opened bottle if she didn't like it (up to a few months and that "people generally don't know about this"). I'm really surprised at that.

This didn't used to be the case for CD's, computer games, etc.

Recently, I saw an open bottle of Tom Ford Private Blend returned to a Nordstrom that does not carry the line at that location! Honestly, if I were a retailer, I'd have a problem with it but I'm the consumer...

Default Re: Have you returned opened fragrance to Amazon?

I returned an opened bottle to a smaller online merchant and they charged me a 20% restocking fee.

Dependent

am not sure how frag returns with amazon works, but ive had them send me a brand new DVD (A Clockwork Orange) free coz my initial purchase had its plastic seal slightly torn up but the DVD was fine( i was just being an@l). I wrote to them telling them how much i had to save up so i could pay for it and that i was seriously disappointed at how the item turned out and that i could return it if they paid for shippping but i guess they figured shipping from Singapore wasnt too wise to endorse. they promptly apologised, and had a brand new one sent via express which i got in less than 3 days. i'll be honest, since i had 2 similar dvds, i sold the other and thats it. I was still schooling then and that extra cash helped, im not saying you do this if u feel its dishonest, but you could email them explaining your situation, maybe telling them that you are a seasoned perfumed enthusiast and that the perfume description was hugely misrepresented and that you expect to either be refunded or allowed to choose a different product that you are familiar with. Im pretty sure they will entertain your request. cheers

Thumbs up Re: Have you returned opened fragrance to Amazon?

I'm not sure how likely they are to do this, but I got a response back from Amazon saying they're refunding me the cost and due to health concerns I won't have to return it.

I've purchased several fragrances from Amazon and enjoyed them thoroughly so I wouldn't be abusing this policy of refunding without a product return. So very good news and I'll be more cautious in the future with blind buys.

I'm going to Ross and TJ Maxx today to blind buy some cheapies but I've enjoyed other fragrances in the Dunhill and Bvlgari line so here's hoping they're good.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by PorkFat View Post
    I'm not sure how likely they are to do this, but I got a response back from Amazon saying they're refunding me the cost and due to health concerns I won't have to return it.

I've purchased several fragrances from Amazon and enjoyed them thoroughly so I wouldn't be abusing this policy of refunding without a product return. So very good news and I'll be more cautious in the future with blind buys.

I'm going to Ross and TJ Maxx today to blind buy some cheapies but I've enjoyed other fragrances in the Dunhill and Bvlgari line so here's hoping they're good.
    great to hear that Ive nvr returned any frags i ever bought even if i was disappointed from blind buying coz i believe some will grow on me eventually and for those that dont, its all part of the adventure, the DVD was an isolated case. Dont get me wrong tho, wasnt suggesting the "abuse" of policy illicitly, so i hope i did not offend your integrity. and yeah Bvlgari is great, just wondering tho is Bvlgari very cheap at TJ? im in the far east, but ive a couple of friends who are air stewards and i usually get them to grab seasonal sales items from abroad that are otherwise overly expensive here.
    Last edited by MFJ; 14th April 2009 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    great to hear that Ive nvr returned any frags i ever bought even if i was disappointed from blind buying coz i believe some will grow on me eventually and for those that dont, its all part of the adventure, the DVD was an isolated case. Dont get me wrong tho, wasnt suggesting the "abuse" of policy illicitly, so i hope i did not offend your integrity. and yeah Bvlgari is great, just wondering tho is Bvlgari very cheap at TJ? im in the far east, but ive a couple of friends who are air stewards and i usually get them to grab seasonal sales items from abroad that are otherwise overly expensive here.
    Bvlgari Blue Notte is $16.99 at Ross. They also have a Dunhill Desire (I won't buy that yet because I have a sample on it's way). TJ Maxx has 2 kinds of Jaguar, Gucci Rush, Beckham Instinct, Burberry Weekend (haven't met a Burberry I liked yet, so won't be buying), Azarro pour homme and chrome, Dunhill Desire Blue, ungaro apparition homme intense, Chloe (maybe for the lady) and Bvlgari eau parfumee au the rouge. Angel Eau de Star

And some various brands I'm not familiar with mixed in with the usual Curve line-up.
    Last edited by PorkFat; 14th April 2009 at 05:09 PM.

Dependent

hey thanks for the info, i'll get my friends to check out rush, its impossible to find here and its a pity its discon. happy shopping and keep us updated with ur latest buys

I posted the answer but then I realize that you already have the solution so congrat and delete my post
    Last edited by jasonx; 15th April 2009 at 07:40 AM.