Code of Conduct

Default Jo Malone Dark Amber & Ginger Lily Cologne

Wow.

I am fond of orientals but this is fantastic. None of the Jo Malone fragrance range has inspired me hitherto to go to Full Bottle status, but this has.

Bizarrely, it doesn't smell like it should belong to the Jo Malone range - smelling more akin to a cross between Penhaligon's Mallabah and LP No9 for women.

The ginger is beautifully executed and reveals itself in the top notes very eloquently, before the Lily and Amber take over, the Lily being rich and full bodied supported by a lovely deep amber accord.

Is it feminine? No I don't think it is on a male skin, as the ginger keeps it sharp and rich. It smells opulent and I have no hesitation in wearing it.

It lasts too, admittedly it isn't a sillage monster - with the exception of JM 154 I don't think any of their range are particularly - but it envelopes you in a warm rich glow.

In the BN Directory it's listed as being for women, I think it should be reclassified as unisex, Jo Malone's own staff say they think it's more unisex.

But then these days the gender assignation of many fragrances is purely arbitrary anyway.

This is a limited edition which I think is a shame, because it should be a keeper.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Default Re: Jo Malone Dark Amber & Ginger Lily Cologne

I agree with everything you said. I like the Jo Malone line a little more than you do, I think. Dark Amber and Ginger Lily is just brilliant and I missed out on it last year when I delayed trying my sample until it was too late and it was off the shelves. When I heard it was coming back I had Saks call me as soon as it was there and I ran down and got a bottle.
    I have not been disappointed.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

I'm really impressed with this one SMM, very few frags grab me like this one has. I think Dimitri might like this one as it is definitely in LP No9 territory.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

I'm a fan! I bought this for a male friend last year and every time he'd wear it I'd be reminded that I needed a bottle, too.
    For a limited edition it seems to be back with a vengence, the Jo Malone shelves are full of bottles.
    I agree with Turin's claim that somehow DA&GL manages to give the illusion of Mysore sandalwood without containing any sandalwood.
    Great stuff.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 14th April 2009 at 12:58 PM.

I'm extremely taken with this one and it's been in my top 3 since I discovered it. Sadly, my decant is now running out and JM is not available in these parts. Short of flying to the UK or hoping for Ebay to deliver there's not much I can do... :S
    You have me curious for LP no. 9 now, by the way!
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Im a fan of this already HDS! I think it may have been silverbullet that sent me a sample a while ago, and I spent the rest of that weekend squabbling with wifey over it!
    I wasnt aware it was a Ltd Ed though... *groans*
    WILL IT EVER END??!

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Im a fan of this already HDS! I think it may have been silverbullet that sent me a sample a while ago, and I spent the rest of that weekend squabbling with wifey over it!
    I wasnt aware it was a Ltd Ed though... *groans*
    WILL IT EVER END??!
    No mate it won't - I bought the 30ml size because anything larger than 50ml is wasted on me as it's more likely to go off before I use it. So just under 30.00 for a fabulous oriental like this is worth the money I think.
    Last edited by HDS1963; 14th April 2009 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by veuve amiot View Post
    I'm extremely taken with this one and it's been in my top 3 since I discovered it. Sadly, my decant is now running out and JM is not available in these parts. Short of flying to the UK or hoping for Ebay to deliver there's not much I can do... :S
    You have me curious for LP no. 9 now, by the way!
    Dimi's the expert on this fragrance, being a long-standing devotee of LP No9 - my favourite of the pair is the womens (I do wish they wouldn't assign labels like to fragrances) which is a delicious soft but rich oriental which Penhaligon's do so well.

I'm a fan of this one, too, and agree that it's perfectly "unisex". I am even more fond of its partner fragrance, Lotus Blossom & Water Lily. For me, that one is the perfect light summer incense fragrance. I was disappointed to see that Turin & Sanchez didn't think much of LB & WL - they need to give it another go!

Basenotes Institution

I think it's the ginger note and some other floral elements that kills it for me, but after 2 wearings I really got annoyed by it.

What's so funny is I ran into a friend the other day, and when I hugged him he smelled great. I asked him what he was wearing and it was this scent. I laughed to myself.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 14th April 2009 at 07:04 PM.