Code of Conduct

Default I thought you couldn't sell Decants on Ebay?

First off, I'm sorry if I'm outing a fellow BNer, and also if I've got this rule incorrect, I'm not a big ebay user, nor am I particularly up on all of the rules regarding fragrances. But if I'm not mistaken, shouldn't this be against the rules?

http://cgi.ebay.com/PARFUMERIE-GENER...item3efa99971f

They even mention the word "decant" in the description. I also find it of note that it's from TPC, which doesn't really sit right with me, that's reselling from a reseller?
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Default Re: I thought you couldn't sell Decants on Ebay?

it's probably different because it's a retail item purchased from a vendor, not someone operating out of their house decanting things themselves.

If you buy it I won't tell anyone.. I promise

eBay is full of crap. Look at all the counterfeit creeds that they do nothing about.
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

smeller

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    First off, I'm sorry if I'm outing a fellow BNer, and also if I've got this rule incorrect, I'm not a big ebay user, nor am I particularly up on all of the rules regarding fragrances. But if I'm not mistaken, shouldn't this be against the rules?

http://cgi.ebay.com/PARFUMERIE-GENER...item3efa99971f

They even mention the word "decant" in the description. I also find it of note that it's from TPC, which doesn't really sit right with me, that's reselling from a reseller?
    Do you think it's really wrong? If not, why to expose a fellow poster?

Quote Originally Posted by smeller View Post
    Do you think it's really wrong? If not, why to expose a fellow poster?
    First off, yes whether or not I agree with the ruling, if it's against the rules, I'll side with Ebay, DON'T DO IT! Second, as stated originally, I don't know if it's a poster or not.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Waah waaah waaah why do you care.

Quote Originally Posted by albumleaf View Post
    Come on man. That wasn't necessary, now was it? I'm not the type to call people out and make a big stink, and wasn't planning on doing it on this thread. I simply happened upon it and decided to share it with the community. You do realize this is a FRAGRANCE forum don't you?

Comments on the original post:

(1) Yes, selling decants is against the eBay rules.

(2) Ebay does not consistently enforce their rules regarding decant sales.

Look around and you will find more of these from other sellers.

smeller

First off, yes whether or not I agree with the ruling, if it's against the rules, I'll side with Ebay, DON'T DO IT! Second, as stated originally, I don't know if it's a poster or not.
    So, it seems that you already believed it's wrong when you created the thread, and you just want to expose the "bad" person who is selling decants. How nice from you.

Ebay is a private enterprise, so they know better than us when to apply their "rules", and these are meant to protect THEIR interest/profit at first place, not yours. Beware of it before defending them.

One reason to care is that some people want to respect the rules of a community that they are participating in.

So, it seems that you already believed it's wrong when you created the thread, and you just want to expose the "bad" person who is selling decants. How nice from you.

Ebay is a private enterprise, so they know better than us when to apply their "rules", and these are meant to protect THEIR interest/profit at first place, not yours. Beware of it before defending them.
    What are you talking about? Of course its wrong, it's against their rules. This is a fragrance forum, with many members who are far more active on Ebay than myself. My intention was to simply show the community, and hopefully get some answer as to why it existed. I GOT that answer, from a few members, in that Ebay fails to enforce these rules that well. It was as simple as that. I don't know why there's all this defending of the seller in the first place, unless it was you or a friend of yours, that seller is in clear violation of Ebay policy, so yes, in this situation they are "bad".

smeller

What are you talking about? Of course its wrong, it's against their rules. This is a fragrance forum, with many members who are far more active on Ebay than myself. My intention was to simply show the community, and hopefully get some answer as to why it existed. I GOT that answer, from a few members, in that Ebay fails to enforce these rules that well. It was as simple as that. I don't know why there's all this defending of the seller in the first place, unless it was you or a friend of yours, that seller is in clear violation of Ebay policy, so yes, in this situation they are "bad".
    You don't know why I'm defending the seller, and I don't know why you are attacking him.

No, I'm not defending him, I don't even know who this seller is, but I do have an opinion about selling decants. I don't think it is that harmful to Ebay members. There are people selling fake stuff there for ages, that's much worse.

So why Ebay doesn't punish all of them? It's simple, and I already explained it: they PROFIT with it. Their rules are meant to protect THEIR interests, as any private rule, and they are applied only when they want to. That's how it works, I'm sorry.

You don't know why I'm defending the seller, and I don't know why you are attacking him.

No, I'm not defending him, I don't even know who this seller is, but I do have an opinion about selling decants. I don't think it is that harmful to Ebay members. There are people selling fake stuff there for ages, that's much worse.

So why Ebay doesn't punish all of them? It's simple, and I already explained it: they PROFIT with it. Their rules are meant to protect THEIR interests, as any private rule, and they are applied only when they want to. That's how it works, I'm sorry.
    Hang on one second. Quite honestly, I don't think decant sales hurt Ebay, and if I'm not mistaken, I thought these rules were do to lawsuits AGAINST Ebay by the producers of the original fragrances. I don't think these are self-imposed rules we're talking about. But, like I said I'm not up on the rules, so of course I could be wrong, and if someone want to clarify, I'd very much appreciate it. My point isn't in defense of either party, both are to shame here, the seller for violating a pretty big rule, and Ebay for failing to enforce said rules. Like I said though, I don't think that these rules are made by Ebay, but something Ebay was forced to set up.

Can someone show me where on ebay they have the decant rule listed? I can't seem to find it. Is it possible some of these sellers don't even know about the ban? It doesn't seem like something that would be obviously wrong to sell like counterfeit goods.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

smeller

Hang on one second. Quite honestly, I don't think decant sales hurt Ebay, and if I'm not mistaken, I thought these rules were do to lawsuits AGAINST Ebay by the producers of the original fragrances. I don't think these are self-imposed rules we're talking about. But, like I said I'm not up on the rules, so of course I could be wrong, and if someone want to clarify, I'd very much appreciate it. My point isn't in defense of either party, both are to shame here, the seller for violating a pretty big rule, and Ebay for failing to enforce said rules. Like I said though, I don't think that these rules are made by Ebay, but something Ebay was forced to set up.
    Now you said something smart. If these specific rule is not made by them, and they don't profit with it, so why to apply it? Where their interest gets in? Again, it's a private company, why to invest in something that doesn't improve the business? If something goes bad, they can always blame the seller and argue it's impossible to control everything. And the fragrance companies also don't seem to be so concerned, there is decant selling all around the globe. TPC is doing fine, the companies obviously know it exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Azsmells View Post
    Can someone show me where on ebay they have the decant rule listed? I can't seem to find it. Is it possible some of these sellers don't even know about the ban? It doesn't seem like something that would be obviously wrong to sell like counterfeit goods.
    I couldn't find it, so I emailed eBay on it. This is the response I received on 9 Sep 09:

Dear Franklin,

Thank you for writing eBay in regard to decanted perfumes.

We appreciate your inquiry. Our related policy applies to decanted brand
    name cosmetics. Under this policy, eBay does not allow the following:

- Listing counterfeits, unauthorized replicas, and other unauthorized
    items for sale
    - Listing of brand name perfumes, lotions, and other cosmetics taken
    from their original containers and filled in other containers such as
    bottles, sprays, pens
    - Sale of an item that includes the name or logo of a company, but
    wasn't made or endorsed by that company

I've sold decants on ebay in the past. They used to not allow it but as of late they have either turned a blind eye or revised their policy. I tried to find their rules on this but I couldn't find any mention of decants. I personally think decant sales should be allowed on eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by Futami View Post
    I've sold decants on ebay in the past. They used to not allow it but as of late they have either turned a blind eye or revised their policy. I tried to find their rules on this but I couldn't find any mention of decants. I personally think decant sales should be allowed on eBay.
    I think they have turned a blind eye to it; at least in some cases. And yes, I think they should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    One reason to care is that some people want to respect the rules of a community that they are participating in.
    You are the police officer that tickets someone for jaywalking when there are no automobiles for miles.

I'm sure the enforcement of the no-decant policy on eBay operates in the same fashion as say, counterfeit Diesel jeans on eBay, which is by users reporting fake or inappropriate goods. eBay isn't going to spend time (money) to look for inappropriate items (at least ones that aren't obviously illegal to sell) that would detract from the money they get from FVF fees.
    Last edited by albumleaf; 4th December 2009 at 02:56 AM.

You are the police officer that tickets someone for jaywalking when there are no automobiles for miles.

I'm sure the enforcement of the no-decant policy on eBay operates in the same fashion as say, counterfeit Diesel jeans on eBay, which is by users reporting fake or inappropriate goods. eBay isn't going to spend time (money) to look for inappropriate items (at least ones that aren't obviously illegal to sell) that would detract from the money they get from FVF fees.
    Some people may not be familiar with the history of decant sales on eBay. There was a time in which decant sales were common and done in the open. Indeed there were businesses whose primary product was decant sales. These sales were stopped by eBay at a fixed date and some of these businesses migrated outside of eBay to form The Perfumed Court. For a time, decant listings were difficult to find on eBay at all.

With that history in view, some of us would like to understand their current policy.

Well for a start that item is a mini not a decant. A decant is one someone has made at home, this is a mini made by the company.

I still see the odd decant for sale, but they are not listed as decants.
    I see no evil and speak of no evil of these sellers.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Well for a start that item is a mini not a decant. A decant is one someone has made at home, this is a mini made by the company.

No. It's a decant made by The Perfumed Court.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post

It's not a mini. It's a decant, you can even see the TPC logo on it.

Edit: SoS beat me to it!
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 4th December 2009 at 12:58 PM.

I think a few us need to take an industrial-strength chill pill here. This is quite a relevant topic, considering that many of us are avid Ebay users who hope that Ebay slackens its decant-selling ban. I appreciate the clarity this thread has offered about:

a) whether decant sales are still illegal on Ebay
    b) if it is still a rule, how/if Ebay enforces that rule, and
    c) whether reselling a decant from another source is still against Ebay rules.

Actually, I don't think the third question has been answered yet. Anyone?

Also, if the seller is a BNer, nothing in this thread or on Ebay is exposing their identity.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 4th December 2009 at 04:17 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Thank you LJ.

On point C, I would assume if original decants are not allowed then second hand decants are not allowed either.

Blog Entries

I saw that Perfumed Court Decant, too. Hmmph!

Meh. I'm perfectly happy to buy decants on eBay, rules or not. They act to protect themselves and maximise their profits, and I, as a buyer, act in my own interests (which often include acquiring decants), too. Honestly could not care less about eBay rules that concern things other than outright fraud/lying/fake goods etc.

Am also interested on the third point - decants being sold by someone who hasn't actually done the decanting themselves...?
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Just because something is against the rules does not mean it is "wrong" or the person is "bad". Do you get upset when someone goes 5 mph above the speed limit? Are they "bad"? Should every single person going 5 over the speed limit get a ticket? Wouldn't you rather the police spend their energy on stoppping people going 20 over the limit?
    Ebay has a rule which has no legal basis. It is there job to enforce their own rule and if they fail to do so I don't have a problem with it. I would rather them focus on stopping sales of actual bad and wrong stuff like counterfeit goods.

Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

We can all sit here and go on and on about Ebay this or Ebay that. Here's the points I find relevant:
    1) If the buyer and seller are both happy, who cares and,
    2) ebay is out to MAKE MONEY, period, end of story.

Look at the new fees. I just wish someone like Google would spend the $$$ necessary to compete with ebay and make the fees reasonable.

You can sell a grilled cheese sandwich with a supposed depiction of the Virgin Mary for 27,000 bucks, do they care,,um,,no they don't.

My .02
    ISO-WTB
    Sample or Partial
    Teo Cabanel-Alahine
    Bois D'Armenie
    Mark Buxton-Wood & Absinthe

My sales thread:

--Bruce Lee
    Jeet Kune Do -"Way of the intercepting fist"

My store- www.AtoZknives.com
    (Knives, sporting & Tactical products GALORE !!)
    Low price LEADER- FAST ship too!

It's been my experience that most of the people who complain about Ebay rules are the same ones who are complaining about getting something bad on Ebay. Sure, the rules are there to help Ebay be "safe" and in doing so, make some profit (why else does one make a business?), but also to help protect the buyer and seller (which was also due, in part, to some law suites that impacted the Ebay bottom line).

My opinion... don't participate if you don't want to follow the rules... and if you do (particpate, and don't follow the rules), don't complain if you get taken... don't follow the rules if you don't care... if you see someone breaking the rules, don't participate, ie. BEWARE!

To the original poster... as you can see, many people don't care...
    Last edited by Schachman; 4th December 2009 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Azsmells View Post
    Just because something is against the rules does not mean it is "wrong" or the person is "bad". Do you get upset when someone goes 5 mph above the speed limit? Are they "bad"? Should every single person going 5 over the speed limit get a ticket? Wouldn't you rather the police spend their energy on stoppping people going 20 over the limit?
    Ebay has a rule which has no legal basis. It is there job to enforce their own rule and if they fail to do so I don't have a problem with it. I would rather them focus on stopping sales of actual bad and wrong stuff like counterfeit goods.
    Here we go again. What is it with you guys looking too deeply into everything and pulling out something to attack? I'm sorry, perhaps bad choice of words on my part. I'm not insinuating the seller is a murderer, if it came off that way, I'm sorry. BUT, I refuse to believe he is simply ignorant to the rule, he has quite a few sales with ebay, I'm assuming this isn't the first time he's sold fragrances on there. If he IS unaware of the rule, then he's guilty of negligence. He's either poorly informed or deliberately ignoring a rule. It's amazing, for something I posted nonchalantly, and to which I don't REALLY care about, I can't believe I'm being forced over and over again to defend why this might not be a good thing. Geeze guys, lighten up!
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 5th December 2009 at 02:07 AM.

Blog Entries

The thing that annoys me is Ebay is so uneven in their enforcement of their rules. They gave me a hard time about selling anything with a designer name. That was about %90 of my perfume. Every time I went through the picture downloading and the whole process of listing an item, at the last minute, it rejected my item listing for no reason. I became so frustrated I gave up. I wrote letters and finally their response (after 3 weeks) was basically, we can do what we want, and we don't trust you. So, they think I'm a big-time counterfeiter because I'm selling a used bottle of Chanel? Ridiculous!

AromiErotici

Personally, I don't care if any seller is on there hawking extraterrestrial excretement in 5lb. increments. This is a buyer-beware world and that danger isn't relegated to ebay.

The only way anyone is hurting anyone by selling decants on ebay is if he or she is sending fakes to the buyers. If the juice is legit and the buyer(s) are willing to pay their price for 4 and 5ml samples, so what?..........

Kumquat - it's ridiculous. eBay seems (seems, I have no stats or proof here) to go after individual/small-time sellers for selling brand-name, unfake goods, while letting all kinds of obviously unscrupulous sellers selling tons of fake stuff, through. For what it's worth, a number of people have noticed they've eased up a lot lately on this cracking down on small time sellers of brand name goods. Might want to try again, although I understand if you don't. I use eBay a LOT as a buyer, but I still hate 'em.

If he IS unaware of the rule, then he's guilty of negligence. He's either poorly informed or deliberately ignoring a rule.
    I don't think it's necessarily negligence. And some in the thread seem to agree that it isn't. That might be why you're getting such strong differences of opinion here. If a rule is stupid, imo, I don't mind it being ignored and will probably do so myself. I would be overjoyed if decants once again became a regular thing being sold on eBay.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    Personally, I don't care if any seller is on there hawking extraterrestrial excretement in 5lb. increments. This is a buyer-beware world and that danger isn't relegated to ebay.

The only way anyone is hurting anyone by selling decants on ebay is if he or she is sending fakes to the buyers. If the juice is legit and the buyer(s) are willing to pay their price for 4 and 5ml samples, so what?..........
    This.
    ďI wanna say something. Iím gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you donít, send it right backÖ."

Quote Originally Posted by LedByMyNose View Post

I don't think it's necessarily negligence. And some in the thread seem to agree that it isn't. That might be why you're getting such strong differences of opinion here. If a rule is stupid, imo, I don't mind it being ignored and will probably do so myself. I would be overjoyed if decants once again became a regular thing being sold on eBay.
    See now we agree. Personally I don't understand why it's alright for TPC to sell decants but not individual sellers on Ebay. But, I'm not a law student, nor do I know why this is the scenario. I simply no its a rule that was quite controversial upon it inception, so I figured it would be a big deal if it was broken. I don't really know, I don't really care either.

See now we agree. Personally I don't understand why it's alright for TPC to sell decants but not individual sellers on Ebay. But, I'm not a law student, nor do I know why this is the scenario. I simply no its a rule that was quite controversial upon it inception, so I figured it would be a big deal if it was broken. I don't really know, I don't really care either.
    It's the same reason that you don't bring your toys to your neighbors garage sale without asking.

AromiErotici

It's the same reason that you don't bring your toys to your neighbors garage sale without asking.
    Are you likening Ebay to a neighbor's garage sale? I see no correlation. Private fragrance auctions are done legally by private sellers all day long. They don't have to be licensed by a fragrance company to sell their product. If a person who OWNS a fragrance wishes to sell it incrementally, what is the big freakin deal? Ebay policy? Yea....now there's a real deterrent.

I love how no one thinks to ask me about this topic. griff@ebay.com
    Griff

Are you likening Ebay to a neighbor's garage sale? I see no correlation. Private fragrance auctions are done legally by private sellers all day long. They don't have to be licensed by a fragrance company to sell their product. If a person who OWNS a fragrance wishes to sell it incrementally, what is the big freakin deal? Ebay policy? Yea....now there's a real deterrent.
    Yes, eBay policy. You use eBay so you agree to abide to the terms of service, in the same way that you ask your neighbor if you can put your things in his sale.The analogy really isn't too hard to grasp.

Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    I love how no one thinks to ask me about this topic. griff@ebay.com
    Griff, I apologize for my ignorance, but are you a Mod at Ebay?

AromiErotici

Yes, eBay policy. You use eBay so you agree to abide to the terms of service, in the same way that you ask your neighbor if you can put your things in his sale.The analogy really isn't too hard to grasp.
    How is it you figure that my listing an item on ebay is tantamount to bringing my property to a garage sale?

Ebay makes GOOD MONEY...real good money from folks like me listing and selling. IF they weren't making big money from this, they wouldn't do it. It's a business and they are in the business of making $$$. Period.

Griff, I apologize for my ignorance, but are you a Mod at Ebay?
    Not a mod, an employee. (Since 1996).

http://www.ebay.com/griff

and

http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...terstitialskip

and I am always happy to assist any BNoter with eBay issues or answer eBay related questions.
    Griff

How is it you figure that my listing an item on ebay is tantamount to bringing my property to a garage sale?

Ebay makes GOOD MONEY...real good money from folks like me listing and selling. IF they weren't making big money from this, they wouldn't do it. It's a business and they are in the business of making $$$. Period.
    Reread my post and think about it again, because it's clear that you didn't do at least one of those.

AromiErotici

Reread my post and think about it again, because it's clear that you didn't do at least one of those.
    I didn't do one of what bro?

I have seen a lot more decant sales on ebay as of late. There is a BNoter selling a bunch on there right now. I don't really see a problem with it. I have a hard time believing anyone would pass up 5ml Patou decants for $10 if they were on ebay. I don't think it is possible for ebay to monitor every listing to make sure they are within the policies. Unless someone files a complaint I wouldn't expect them to do anything about it.