Code of Conduct

Default vetiver extraordinaire........

I was playing around at Barneys.....and...bamm...I got hit with the most BEAUTIFUL scent ever...Vetiver Extraordinaire..nuff said. I just had to tell someone! HAHA!

Default Re: vetiver extraordinaire........

gah! Did you buy it?

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by amit View Post
    gah! Did you buy it?
    on the 15...thats my present to myself..........

A few hours ago (before seeing this thread) I posted in another thread how a co-worker came over to me and told me that whatever I had on (yesterday) was very good. It just so happens it was VE. To me, it has a scent accord that makes me think of an evergreen mossy forest. VE has excellent projection as the guy told me he could pick it up halfway across the rather large room we were occupying.

People tell me it is very similiar to Encre
    can anyone verify
    thanks
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Quote Originally Posted by Hasupk@gmail.com View Post
    can anyone verify
    thanks
    Not really. Chanel Sycomore is closer to Encre Noire.

Quote Originally Posted by Delmar View Post
    VE has excellent projection as the guy told me he could pick it up halfway across the rather large room we were occupying.
    Is that really a good a thing? Just kidding. VE has been on my sampling list for far too long now and it has now become time to purchase a decant from the TPC.

Thanks,

TJ

Blog Entries

I agree this is a great scent. Just make sure that you test it on skin at least once, maybe more. Sometimes it acts up during the drydown and smells really dirty/fecal. That's just my experience - I don't know if anyone else has ever experienced that issue. But it is a great vetiver when it behaves.

Quote Originally Posted by nwatts88 View Post
    Not really. Chanel Sycomore is closer to Encre Noire.
    Oh, wow - I've got to try Sycomore for sure now. I gave it a really brief paper test in the boutique - not enough to really give it a run. Encre Noire is a nice one, and I don't have it, so Sycomore may be even better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Oh, wow - I've got to try Sycomore for sure now. I gave it a really brief paper test in the boutique - not enough to really give it a run. Encre Noire is a nice one, and I don't have it, so Sycomore may be even better for me.
    It's greener, a touch lighter, and its healthy dose of iris makes it very smooth. Hope you enjoy it!
    Last edited by nwatts88; 3rd December 2009 at 04:31 AM. Reason: messed something up

BINGO

I did a video review of this scent sometime ago. To me it wasn't so extraordinary to the point of spending what FM is asking. Smells like a pure vetiver essential oil that on my skin gave moderate silage and about 6 hrs scent longevity. That was two sprays on top of my hand. It may need another test drive...

I'm with you and many others...I think that it's a fabulous scent! It's undoubtedly in my top-20 (out of about 350). It may well be my favorite cold-weather vetiver scent, though L'Artisan, Villoresi and Route du Vetiver provide VE with formidable competition.

I just dont get the Sycomore-Encre Noire comparison, nor the Vetiver Extraordinaire-Sycomore comparison. These three are no more the same than is Santal de Mysore, Tam Dao, and Bois de Iles. I'll admit that there are overlapping notes from time to time, and, for the sake of my finances, I do compare and choose between fragrances all the time. That said, I think that the aformentioned are plenty different and, if I had the funds, would have each in my wardrobe.

My favorite vetiver. A good choice!

Regards,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by dekdek View Post
    I just dont get the Sycomore-Encre Noire comparison, nor the Vetiver Extraordinaire-Sycomore comparison. These three are no more the same than is Santal de Mysore, Tam Dao, and Bois de Iles.
    I totally agree. IMO the differences between VE, EN, and Sycamore are significant / profound. VE, for instance, is chock-full of oakmoss whereas the other two are not - which is bound to make a profound difference. VE is an edp whilst EN is an edt. To put it another way, I don't think one gets a 'VE substitute' by going for the less expensive EN. All of them are well worth sampling. When you test them side by side, you'll surely smell the significant differences.

Blog Entries

I tried every vetiver I could find & this one stood out, hands down. It was the smoothest & most enjoyable. Like velvet or butter, maybe velvet with butter on it!

Post Re: vetiver extraordinaire........

VE, is certainly a very good Vetiver, but to catch up to Vetyver by Carlo Corrinto, Dominique Ropion would have to go back to the drawing board. Not to mention Etro's offering, along with Vetiver Oriental,Mazzolari Vetyver,and several other's I could mention. Just my $0.02 worth.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Quote Originally Posted by Hasupk@gmail.com View Post
    can anyone verify
    thanks
    If you sample both, I think you'll find that VE is much smoother.

It's my favourite vetiver by far (and I've sampled TONS) with honourable mentions to Givenchy and Mazzolari's.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ron199 View Post
    VE, is certainly a very good Vetiver, but to catch up to Vetyver by Carlo Corrinto, Dominique Ropion would have to go back to the drawing board. Not to mention Etro's offering, along with Vetiver Oriental,Mazzolari Vetyver,and several other's I could mention. Just my $0.02 worth.
    Mmm yes, I forgot about the Mazzolari & VOriental. The others I'm not familiar with but I'm sure there are other lovelies out there.
    Last edited by kumquat; 6th December 2009 at 09:25 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dekdek View Post
    I just dont get the Sycomore-Encre Noire comparison, nor the Vetiver Extraordinaire-Sycomore comparison. These three are no more the same than is Santal de Mysore, Tam Dao, and Bois de Iles. I'll admit that there are overlapping notes from time to time, and, for the sake of my finances, I do compare and choose between fragrances all the time. That said, I think that the aformentioned are plenty different and, if I had the funds, would have each in my wardrobe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Delmar View Post
    I totally agree. IMO the differences between VE, EN, and Sycamore are significant / profound. VE, for instance, is chock-full of oakmoss whereas the other two are not - which is bound to make a profound difference. VE is an edp whilst EN is an edt. To put it another way, I don't think one gets a 'VE substitute' by going for the less expensive EN. All of them are well worth sampling. When you test them side by side, you'll surely smell the significant differences.
    Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I tried every vetiver I could find & this one stood out, hands down. It was the smoothest & most enjoyable. Like velvet or butter, maybe velvet with butter on it!
    Quote Originally Posted by derekp View Post
    If you sample both, I think you'll find that VE is much smoother.

It's my favourite vetiver by far (and I've sampled TONS) with honourable mentions to Givenchy and Mazzolari's.
    Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Mmm yes, I forgot about the Mazzolari & VOriental. The others I'm not familiar with but I'm sure there are other lovelies out there.
    OMG - I've stumbled upon a den of true vetiver lovers! And, admittedly, I see that there are significant differences between these things...

Well, as long as the solution involves MORE fragrance and not less, then I suppose that I'm on board! =

I don't think Vetyver by Carlo Corinto and VE are in the same category, and I don't think Dominic Ropion was trying to create a vetiver scent in that vein. Vetyver lies somewhere between sycomore and original vetiver (creed), in the sense it is smoky, and soapy. VE is a earthily fresh (ozonic) and clear scent to my nose.
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!