Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1

    Default vetiver extraordinaire........

    I was playing around at Barneys.....and...bamm...I got hit with the most BEAUTIFUL scent ever...Vetiver Extraordinaire..nuff said. I just had to tell someone! HAHA!

  2. #2

    Default Re: vetiver extraordinaire........

    gah! Did you buy it?


    PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather




  3. #3

    Default Re: vetiver extraordinaire........

    Quote Originally Posted by amit View Post
    gah! Did you buy it?
    on the 15...thats my present to myself..........

  4. #4

    Default Re: vetiver extraordinaire........

    A few hours ago (before seeing this thread) I posted in another thread how a co-worker came over to me and told me that whatever I had on (yesterday) was very good. It just so happens it was VE. To me, it has a scent accord that makes me think of an evergreen mossy forest. VE has excellent projection as the guy told me he could pick it up halfway across the rather large room we were occupying.

  5. #5

    Default Re: vetiver extraordinaire........

    People tell me it is very similiar to Encre
    can anyone verify
    thanks
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

  6. #6

    Default Re: vetiver extraordinaire........

    Quote Originally Posted by Hasupk@gmail.com View Post
    People tell me it is very similiar to Encre
    can anyone verify
    thanks
    Not really. Chanel Sycomore is closer to Encre Noire.

  7. #7

    Default Re: vetiver extraordinaire........

    Quote Originally Posted by Delmar View Post
    VE has excellent projection as the guy told me he could pick it up halfway across the rather large room we were occupying.
    Is that really a good a thing? Just kidding. VE has been on my sampling list for far too long now and it has now become time to purchase a decant from the TPC.

    Thanks,

    TJ

  8. #8
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    13,298
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: vetiver extraordinaire........

    I agree this is a great scent. Just make sure that you test it on skin at least once, maybe more. Sometimes it acts up during the drydown and smells really dirty/fecal. That's just my experience - I don't know if anyone else has ever experienced that issue. But it is a great vetiver when it behaves.

    Quote Originally Posted by nwatts88 View Post
    Not really. Chanel Sycomore is closer to Encre Noire.
    Oh, wow - I've got to try Sycomore for sure now. I gave it a really brief paper test in the boutique - not enough to really give it a run. Encre Noire is a nice one, and I don't have it, so Sycomore may be even better for me.
    * * * *

  9. #9

    Default Re: vetiver extraordinaire........

    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Oh, wow - I've got to try Sycomore for sure now. I gave it a really brief paper test in the boutique - not enough to really give it a run. Encre Noire is a nice one, and I don't have it, so Sycomore may be even better for me.
    It's greener, a touch lighter, and its healthy dose of iris makes it very smooth. Hope you enjoy it!
    Last edited by nwatts88; 3rd December 2009 at 04:31 AM. Reason: messed something up

  10. #10
    BINGO
    Guest

    Default Re: vetiver extraordinaire........

    I did a video review of this scent sometime ago. To me it wasn't so extraordinary to the point of spending what FM is asking. Smells like a pure vetiver essential oil that on my skin gave moderate silage and about 6 hrs scent longevity. That was two sprays on top of my hand. It may need another test drive...

  11. #11

    wicozani's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    The Beautiful Black Hills!
    Posts
    2,484

    Default Re: vetiver extraordinaire........

    I'm with you and many others...I think that it's a fabulous scent! It's undoubtedly in my top-20 (out of about 350). It may well be my favorite cold-weather vetiver scent, though L'Artisan, Villoresi and Route du Vetiver provide VE with formidable competition.

  12. #12

    Default Re: vetiver extraordinaire........

    I just dont get the Sycomore-Encre Noire comparison, nor the Vetiver Extraordinaire-Sycomore comparison. These three are no more the same than is Santal de Mysore, Tam Dao, and Bois de Iles. I'll admit that there are overlapping notes from time to time, and, for the sake of my finances, I do compare and choose between fragrances all the time. That said, I think that the aformentioned are plenty different and, if I had the funds, would have each in my wardrobe.

  13. #13

    Default Re: vetiver extraordinaire........

    My favorite vetiver. A good choice!

    Regards,
    Steve

  14. #14

    Default Re: vetiver extraordinaire........

    Quote Originally Posted by dekdek View Post
    I just dont get the Sycomore-Encre Noire comparison, nor the Vetiver Extraordinaire-Sycomore comparison. These three are no more the same than is Santal de Mysore, Tam Dao, and Bois de Iles.
    I totally agree. IMO the differences between VE, EN, and Sycamore are significant / profound. VE, for instance, is chock-full of oakmoss whereas the other two are not - which is bound to make a profound difference. VE is an edp whilst EN is an edt. To put it another way, I don't think one gets a 'VE substitute' by going for the less expensive EN. All of them are well worth sampling. When you test them side by side, you'll surely smell the significant differences.

  15. #15
    kumquat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Posts
    8,056
    Blog Entries
    98

    Default Re: vetiver extraordinaire........

    I tried every vetiver I could find & this one stood out, hands down. It was the smoothest & most enjoyable. Like velvet or butter, maybe velvet with butter on it!

  16. #16

    Post Re: vetiver extraordinaire........

    VE, is certainly a very good Vetiver, but to catch up to Vetyver by Carlo Corrinto, Dominique Ropion would have to go back to the drawing board. Not to mention Etro's offering, along with Vetiver Oriental,Mazzolari Vetyver,and several other's I could mention. Just my $0.02 worth.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

  17. #17

    Default Re: vetiver extraordinaire........

    Quote Originally Posted by Hasupk@gmail.com View Post
    People tell me it is very similiar to Encre
    can anyone verify
    thanks
    If you sample both, I think you'll find that VE is much smoother.

    It's my favourite vetiver by far (and I've sampled TONS) with honourable mentions to Givenchy and Mazzolari's.

  18. #18
    kumquat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Posts
    8,056
    Blog Entries
    98

    Default Re: vetiver extraordinaire........

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron199 View Post
    VE, is certainly a very good Vetiver, but to catch up to Vetyver by Carlo Corrinto, Dominique Ropion would have to go back to the drawing board. Not to mention Etro's offering, along with Vetiver Oriental,Mazzolari Vetyver,and several other's I could mention. Just my $0.02 worth.
    Mmm yes, I forgot about the Mazzolari & VOriental. The others I'm not familiar with but I'm sure there are other lovelies out there.
    Last edited by kumquat; 6th December 2009 at 09:25 PM.

  19. #19
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    13,298
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: vetiver extraordinaire........

    Quote Originally Posted by dekdek View Post
    I just dont get the Sycomore-Encre Noire comparison, nor the Vetiver Extraordinaire-Sycomore comparison. These three are no more the same than is Santal de Mysore, Tam Dao, and Bois de Iles. I'll admit that there are overlapping notes from time to time, and, for the sake of my finances, I do compare and choose between fragrances all the time. That said, I think that the aformentioned are plenty different and, if I had the funds, would have each in my wardrobe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Delmar View Post
    I totally agree. IMO the differences between VE, EN, and Sycamore are significant / profound. VE, for instance, is chock-full of oakmoss whereas the other two are not - which is bound to make a profound difference. VE is an edp whilst EN is an edt. To put it another way, I don't think one gets a 'VE substitute' by going for the less expensive EN. All of them are well worth sampling. When you test them side by side, you'll surely smell the significant differences.
    Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I tried every vetiver I could find & this one stood out, hands down. It was the smoothest & most enjoyable. Like velvet or butter, maybe velvet with butter on it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron199 View Post
    VE, is certainly a very good Vetiver, but to catch up to Vetyver by Carlo Corrinto, Dominique Ropion would have to go back to the drawing board. Not to mention Etro's offering, along with Vetiver Oriental,Mazzolari Vetyver,and several other's I could mention. Just my $0.02 worth.
    Quote Originally Posted by derekp View Post
    If you sample both, I think you'll find that VE is much smoother.

    It's my favourite vetiver by far (and I've sampled TONS) with honourable mentions to Givenchy and Mazzolari's.
    Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Mmm yes, I forgot about the Mazzolari & VOriental. The others I'm not familiar with but I'm sure there are other lovelies out there.
    OMG - I've stumbled upon a den of true vetiver lovers! And, admittedly, I see that there are significant differences between these things...

    Well, as long as the solution involves MORE fragrance and not less, then I suppose that I'm on board! =
    * * * *

  20. #20

    Default Re: vetiver extraordinaire........

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron199 View Post
    VE, is certainly a very good Vetiver, but to catch up to Vetyver by Carlo Corrinto, Dominique Ropion would have to go back to the drawing board. Not to mention Etro's offering, along with Vetiver Oriental,Mazzolari Vetyver,and several other's I could mention. Just my $0.02 worth.
    I don't think Vetyver by Carlo Corinto and VE are in the same category, and I don't think Dominic Ropion was trying to create a vetiver scent in that vein. Vetyver lies somewhere between sycomore and original vetiver (creed), in the sense it is smoky, and soapy. VE is a earthily fresh (ozonic) and clear scent to my nose.
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

Similar Threads

  1. Vetiver Redux-Update (five new scents added!)
    By wicozani in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 3rd May 2012, 09:14 PM
  2. Vetiver recs please?
    By GreenWoman in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 17th March 2011, 12:00 AM
  3. Has anyone smelled plain vetiver?
    By GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 28th November 2009, 07:47 PM
  4. Bourbon vs Haiti
    By Torvo in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 31st December 2008, 06:09 PM
  5. If I Like Vetiver Extraordinaire, then I would also like
    By supracuhz in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 30th October 2008, 10:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •