Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Inane question of the day: Maître Parfumeur et Gantier bottles, old vs new

Most sellers are unaware of the difference between 90 and 100ml bottles so they use the old descriptions they used in the past for the new bottles. In one case I contacted a seller which had no idea of the difference but he actually then correctef the description changing 80ml to 100ml.

Default Re: Inane question of the day: Maître Parfumeur et Gantier bottles, old vs new

Okay, here are my responses back.

Enchantetx wrote - "I have weights in both."

Whatever that means.

Fourseasons wrote "We do carry the MPG - Maitre Parfumeur line. We sell the 90 ml bottles."

I don't know, maybe they were just confused by my question, but I guess they do have the vintage bottles. Anyone want to try?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    Okay, here are my responses back.

Enchantetx wrote - "I have weights in both."

Whatever that means.

Fourseasons wrote "We do carry the MPG - Maitre Parfumeur line. We sell the 90 ml bottles."

I don't know, maybe they were just confused by my question, but I guess they do have the vintage bottles. Anyone want to try?
    Good news that Four Seasons has the old bottles. I may consider an order...

There's a guy who's been listing a bunch of male and female MPG's on ebay, and the mens were all listed as 90ml, including ones like Bois de Turquie which never existed in 90ml. I asked him specifically what was what, and he told me that x and x were 90 ml, and then another was 100ml etc. I bought one that he said was 90, and it ended up being 100ml! But then another one was actually 90ml...
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sa Majesté La Rose

Currently wearing: Norne by Slumberhouse

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    There's a guy who's been listing a bunch of male and female MPG's on ebay, and the mens were all listed as 90ml, including ones like Bois de Turquie which never existed in 90ml. I asked him specifically what was what, and he told me that x and x were 90 ml, and then another was 100ml etc. I bought one that he said was 90, and it ended up being 100ml! But then another one was actually 90ml...
    That's what I'm afraid of as well. A lot of these customer service reps that answer email inquires probably just go with the info on the website, which hasn't been updated in years. You'll might end up with the new 100ml bottles.

I guess it's a risk and in a worst case, you might be able to get a partial refund based on the false info.

Blog Entries

I doubt fourseasons and Enchante will have the older bottles as they seem to be authorized sellers.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

That's why I usually make a point of explaining that there is a new format, and website often have the wrong ones listed, and to please confirm with your stock etc - most stores tell me that they only have the 100mls after checking, even if it's 90ml listed. This guy actually checked, and then made mistakes which was annoying. But in any case I don't think Secret Melange was reformulated so it doesn't matter that I have the newer one, though I like the older bottles better aesthetically. I got a ton of MPG's off that guy.

That's what I'm afraid of as well. A lot of these customer service reps that answer email inquires probably just go with the info on the website, which hasn't been updated in years. You'll might end up with the new 100ml bottles.

I guess it's a risk and in a worst case, you might be able to get a partial refund based on the false info.
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sa Majesté La Rose

Quote Originally Posted by Mudassir View Post
    I doubt fourseasons and Enchante will have the older bottles as they seem to be authorized sellers.
    But just because they are authorized doesn't mean they'd just throw away their old stock. They'll probably start getting the new ones after they've sold off the 90ml ones. They have the highest prices, so up until the new of reformulations came out, most people probably bought from elsewhere.
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sa Majesté La Rose

That's why I usually make a point of explaining that there is a new format, and website often have the wrong ones listed, and to please confirm with your stock etc.
    Exact question I asked and those were the responses I received, but I still feel iffy buying from them. I may purchase a bottle and if I don't get a 90ml, I'll just complain to the manager and get a partial refund. Win-win situation.

Exact question I asked and those were the responses I received, but I still feel iffy buying from them. I may purchase a bottle and if I don't get a 90ml, I'll just complain to the manager and get a partial refund. Win-win situation.

Four Seasons is a reputable boutique from the high end hotels. They're less likely to be a bunch of jokers - if the other websites were honest and actually went to check their stock I'm sure they did as well. It's just that ebay guy who was wonky - he ships his stuff in paper envellopes with no bubble wrap even!

The good thing is that it ships in like 5 seconds, but still!
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sa Majesté La Rose

I think both bottles are rather ugly but of the two definitely prefer the original.

I emailed Enchante in Austin a few weeks ago (Found them via L'Artisan's website, but noticed they carried MPG and I'm in Austin frequently) Their original reply stated that they would no longer be carrying the MPG line, but here is the comment I received regarding looking for an "older" bottle of RdV.

"The boxes I have are 100ml. However, people have purchased this size who have personal experience with MPG vetyver and I have heard no comments regarding a defect or deviation in the original blending.

I am extremely dubious about popular claims regarding fragrances or shaving products that have been "reformulated." Over the years I have dealt repeatedly with these claims across a wide range of products. Not once have I actually encountered such an instance where such claims have been verified. Yet, I personally know of several different fragrance products that have been in fact reformulated; however, no one on the internet knows what they are. I wonder why.

Thanks again for your inquiry."

Quote Originally Posted by Ab74 View Post
    I think both bottles are rather ugly but of the two definitely prefer the original.

I emailed Enchante in Austin a few weeks ago (Found them via L'Artisan's website, but noticed they carried MPG and I'm in Austin frequently) Their original reply stated that they would no longer be carrying the MPG line, but here is the comment I received regarding looking for an "older" bottle of RdV.

"The boxes I have are 100ml. However, people have purchased this size who have personal experience with MPG vetyver and I have heard no comments regarding a defect or deviation in the original blending.

I am extremely dubious about popular claims regarding fragrances or shaving products that have been "reformulated." Over the years I have dealt repeatedly with these claims across a wide range of products. Not once have I actually encountered such an instance where such claims have been verified. Yet, I personally know of several different fragrance products that have been in fact reformulated; however, no one on the internet knows what they are. I wonder why.

I am extremely dubious about anything that comes out of the mouth of people selling fragrances.

What a load of sh**t!

Selling fragrances does not make one an expert. Quite the opposite, in fact. I have found, in most cases, those who sell fragrances really care nothing about fragrances and know even less.

Ab74, I would trust those here on Basenotes first and foremost with anything to do with reformulation. It's unanimous that MPG fragrances have been reformulated. Some more than others. In some cases, the reformulations are preferred by some individuals, but MPG fragrances have definitely been reformulated.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 6th July 2009 at 11:18 PM.

Blog Entries

I don't believe Secret Melange is the same. The top notes smell a bit sweet and have lost a lot of their herbal character. I am not sure about the middle and base as I haven't done a side by side comparison yet.

That's why I usually make a point of explaining that there is a new format, and website often have the wrong ones listed, and to please confirm with your stock etc - most stores tell me that they only have the 100mls after checking, even if it's 90ml listed. This guy actually checked, and then made mistakes which was annoying. But in any case I don't think Secret Melange was reformulated so it doesn't matter that I have the newer one, though I like the older bottles better aesthetically. I got a ton of MPG's off that guy.

vs.
    Both gangster.
    I have both styles, and prefer the argyle.
    Red & Gold = WIN.
    (unless in a head-2-head matchup with black&gold)

I don't think there is 5% of difference between the old and new bottles. The impact of the bottle design changes on MPG sales would very slight. The only way that the bottle design might affect sales would be if they changed to an entirely different design and they didn't. The new design holds a bit more juice, has a larger top, etc. but othewise it looks very similar. The bottle has no affect on sales at this point.

I personally don't like either old or new bottles. It was one of the more glaring bottle designs on the market. But, if the perfume is good then I love the bottle. My opinion of the bottle will change with my opinion of the fragrance. Good fragrance = good bottle.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    I personally don't like either old or new bottles. It was one of the more glaring bottle designs on the market. But, if the perfume is good then I love the bottle. My opinion of the bottle will change with my opinion of the fragrance. Good fragrance = good bottle.
    For the love of God, please say you find Salvador Dali Pour Homme utterly disgusting :-)

Post Re: Inane question of the day: Maître Parfumeur et Gantier bottles, old vs new

Quote Originally Posted by Ab74 View Post

Would this also explain why a perfume house would give you 10ml. of their product, and not charge you a penny for it? Maybe I'm missing something here. I'm just sayin.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....