Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dad retires--what's going to be his scent?

Okay, here's the situation: Dad retires after a long career of executive grind in a few big companies. (When people asked him what he did professionally he answered, "I push papers.") Over the last two decades he rode his bike to the office all year round, and there's snow there all winter.

Now he's just retired. When he travels places he drives and spends the nights sleeping in the car at highway rest stops. When he's home he goes to at least one public lecture a day at the land grant University and its law school. Just like a retired guy he makes sure he attends the lectures where there are free coffee and donuts available. Riding his bike home from lectures he stops at the public library and checks out a DVD to watch at night. After that he writes his children emails about the lectures he's heard that day (little known ancient aquaduct construction genius was one recently).

In the mornings he reads books on his own projects (currently it's figuring out how the human body works) and to understand the books better he tries to briefly re-write their chapters into action-packed type thriller storytelling. It helps him remember.

Mom says over the years she's bought him all the best scents made: Royal Copenhagen, Viking, Halston Z-14, that Avon that came in the blue jalopy glass bottle, and Fahrenheit. The problem, mom says, is that he puts on too much.

It's time to get the crazy man a good scent to show the world he's really made it and taken care of the health and brains of his family. He should smell smart, resourceful, charismatic, and like he's got nothing to worry about.

What scent do you prescribe? Any ideas?
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Dad retires--what's going to be his scent?

DustB, you have a really cool Dad

The scent tht immediately popped up in my mind was Leonard Pour Homme with Chanel Pour Monsieur a close second

Eau Sauvage maybe.

Post Thanks / Like

DustB - here's saluting your dad as another devoted cyclist.

How could he ever go wrong with GIT or PdN New York? Both totally appropriate for a "being there done that" kind of guy.

DustB, I don't have a suggestion. Just want you to know that I think your dad sounds very special!

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    DustB, you have a really cool Dad
    +1.

Post Thanks / Like

Good ideas all of you!

He's pretty cool, but for further clues to his scent needs, there are these drawbacks to his character:

He flirts with all the girlfriends you bring home and he never stops telling you that his espresso coffee maker works much better than yours.

For some time I thought I might pass my still full bottle of L'Eau d'Issey to him, but that would be more to get rid of the bottle than to have a scent that fits him. I don't know that I want to have a dad who smells like all the nightclubs five or six years ago either. He'd love that history though, "Hey, this was all the rage back when I was clubbing it up six years ago!"

Dunhill '34 or for a slightly more irreverent scent, AdP Colonia.

Very cool dad indeed. I'm jealous
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Another vote for New York And in the less expensive realm, Azzaro Pour Homme. Congratulations to him!
    Oh, and what about Guerlain Vetiver?
    Last edited by nthny; 16th April 2009 at 05:36 AM.

How about Paul Smith Story. It can be found dirt cheap at discount shops like Marshalls and it's not offensive or too powerful so there is room for error in overspraying.
    Last edited by Ronin; 16th April 2009 at 05:56 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My first thought was AdP Colonia as well, especially if your mom thinks over application is a problem.

I really enjoy the way you describe your dad. He sounds like an engaging fellow and the love is evident.

Maybe you could switch to tea?
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

I love tasks like these - making thoughtful gifts (I can spend hours compiling a gift music CD/mp3 mix - or back in the day cassette mixtape - for firends).

My first thought was Boss No 1, tongue-in-cheek of course, yet at the same time classy sexy sophisticated and distinguished in serious way.

Could you provide any more of your Dad's character traits?

cheers,
    maksidrom

Like the others, I have to say that your dad sounds really cool. Funny thing is your dad sounds very different from my dad (who's great in his own ways), but they both have the same 'drobes- Z-14, Royal Copenhagen, Avons, Fahrenheit, etc. I've tried to buy my dad different colognes, but he never seems to wear them. One that he does wear, and it really suits him is Hugo Boss Elements. Have you ever smelled it-- one of the actual great fragrances that Boss ever released. I think it's discontinued, but it's amazing.

Also, I was thinking Monsieur de Givenchy or Creed Vetiver '48.

Congrats to him on his retirement!

Post Thanks / Like

Flirt eh , thats better than a son whose tag line is "That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me."

how bout the biggst bottle of Ck One?
    Last edited by jenson; 16th April 2009 at 06:45 AM.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for Guerlain Vetiver.

Congrats to your Dad!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

AdP Colonia Assoluta or Knize Ten or Sycomore

Post Thanks / Like

not knowing too much about fragrances.
    but how about something new and youthful but not overly popular yet,
    like Dsquared2 He Wood Rocky Mountain Wood?

btw, like others said above, you do really have a very cool dad.

Post Thanks / Like

Many good ideas already (especially AdP Colonia, New York, Azzaro PH, Guerlain Vetiver and Chanel pour Monsieur), let me add:
    Czech & Speake No.88
    Heritage
    Jean Marie Farina Extra Vieille.*

* Yes, Chris in the economy liter bottle.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 16th April 2009 at 11:43 AM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

AromiErotici

Etienne Aigner #1. It's a good, smooth scent that's hard to overapply (even for me.)

How about two....

Carven Homme
    CDG - Vettiveru

Post Thanks / Like

see, this is why I love basenotes.

not only did reading about your dad make me want to be that man, but the scent that first popped into my head was reiterated by many of the other faithful here.

I think the key drawback was the overapplication... that could turn a scent's kiss into a slap all too quickly. With all of those classical attributes otherwise though... for me the top of the list would have to be Acqua di Parma Colonia.

Perhaps a close second, for the scent as well as the name (doesn't get treacly with a heavy hand, neither), Pour le Jeune Homme

Post Thanks / Like

Not only does your Dad sound neat - but you seem like a thoughtful son who obviously loves him.
    I'd echo Indie_Guy's suggestion of Monsieur de Givenchy. Refined and elegant, but when you go heavy on the trigger (which, it sounds like he will!), it brings out the civet. Perfect for flirting with your son's girlfriends!

Matthew

Post Thanks / Like

You probably have thought of all the Diptyques already, but I thought I'd mention it anyway. They're cool enough, and seem to fit the bill for an eccentric fellow like your dad. Maybe Tam Dao. And no worries from over application, either.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Post Thanks / Like

Some good ideas here – I particularly love the Guerlain, Vetiver suggestion.

Maybe you should get him a couple scents. For example, a scent for the evening and another for casual/day wear. In addition, you may want to get him a scent for business functions or lectures, if he still continues to do them. Your dad seems outgoing, intelligent, and adventurous so I really think he needs something that really pops. Here are my choices:

1. Evening – Chanel, Egoiste
    2. Day wear/casual – Guerlain, Vetiver
    3. Business/lectures – Creed, BdP
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 16th April 2009 at 04:48 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Something which can be over-applied without being overbearing? I'd second Sycomore. Think he'd like the slightly 'boozy' note in there?

I think the quietly diginified accords present in Tuscany by Aramis would suit a man of mature years. It is not quite as pugnacious as the original Aramis, and is one of the smoothest of masculine fragrances.

vita odorifera
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Great Dad!

With a BaseNoter son, he deserves something special.

Dunhill 1934
    A Creed o his choice (selected from samples from you)
    Tabac Original for when over-application cant be helped.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

Your dad is pretty cool! Congrats!

I suggest you Aramis.

My dad is wearing 25 years Polo (non stop) and he loves it....Maybe your dad too.
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chris,

Given how you've described your dad, how could it be anything other than Signoricci?

Post Thanks / Like

Hermès Rocabar
    Chanel Allure
    Boss Soul
    Trussardi Inside

Hey Chris,
    Nice post.I hope my children are as thoughtful when I reach retirement age.
    I say spring for a bottle of the good stuff. Why not find a bottle of Patou Pour Homme for him?
    If not, maybe Heritage. He sounds like that kind of guy.
    Or Erolfa. It fits his traveler spirit.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Rochas Lui. My bet is he'll love it.
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

Quote Originally Posted by Mostapha View Post
    You probably have thought of all the Diptyques already, but I thought I'd mention it anyway. They're cool enough, and seem to fit the bill for an eccentric fellow like your dad. Maybe Tam Dao. And no worries from over application, either.
    I think Tam Dao is a good suggestion! However, my husband overapplies it all the time. He smells like a walking cedar chest until it simmers down!

Post Thanks / Like

For a physically and mentally active person like your Dad who overapplies fragrances I would recommend Habit Rouge EdC or a nice bright citrus like Monsieur Balmain.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure your dad appreciates dignity, but his essence seems to be adventure and pushing the envelope a bit. So should his new scent. Pick something a little edgy and a little more youthful than what might be considered a scent for his age group. And remember, he's always at play now, even when wearing a tie.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a 'cool' dad to me...

The first scent that came to my mind was 'Tam Dao', as already mentioned by others.
    The other could be Givenchy vetyver if not Guerlain vetiver.

YSL L'Homme is youthful and yet classy, and also has a "volume control" on it much like AdP Colonia.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I should start drinking tea! Now that's a good idea.

I've really got to thank all of you for the superior suggestions and apologize for not replying earlier. Now that it's Saturday morning I can think clearly and catch up on a few PM messages too.

I'm really glad I asked the question of this thread; there are so many good suggestions that I didn't think of here, and I wouldn't have thought of them without this help. Azzarro PH--fantastic idea, for example, Habit Rouge edc, another great one. AdP, Monsieur de Givenchy, No.88, Guerlain Vetiver, Signoricci...all would be perfect. And man alive, who wouldn't want to have a dad walking around and out cooling everyone everywhere in No.88? Just imagine that; everyone would wonder who-is-that-amazing-guy-and-what's-his-story?-He's-simply-got-to-be-SOMEONE. And they'd wonder that instead of something else when Dad is raiding the free donuts. I'll have to put 88 on the eventual list. Besides, if he wore it all the grad-school babes he'd come across (in my mind at least) would think that it was HE who taught ME. I don't know if my ego can handle that about good scents.

I think I'll start him out with Aqua di Parma. Its all purpose nature, wonderful scent quality, and--yes, the over application risk minimizing capacity--make it a good starting point and a good gift. Another sly trick I'll have to figure out is how to get him wearing it every day. The guy will sleep in the car when he drives out to see me, I mean, and I imagine he'd think "what's the point?" to a great fragrance the same way he doesn't know the point of hotels. I guess the risk that he won't wear it is just a risk I'll have to take--how many of us can really get our nutty parents to do what they should do anyway?

(Indie_Guy, our dads are no doubt alike, and I'm sure you think about yours whenever Royal Copenhagen comes up, just like I do. I think I'll have to go out and get a bottle even. Everytime Scentimus mentions it I think I'll be obligated to swing by Perfumania soon and take some home. The stuff of our dads is sort of sacred, don'tcha think? I want to have it, but I don't know if I'll be freaked out at wearing it.

Did your dad ever have that Avon that came in a steam locomotive bottle? The whole cab was the screw cap? Such an awesome bottle that I kept telling him he should use that stuff up so I could play with it. I got so mad at the toys grown ups got to have, and they didn't even play with them. Kept them on their dressers all the time. And what for? Did they worship them? What good is a toy steam locomotive when the man doesn't even play with it?)

Another thing I like about this thread is that it shows me how much I want to give him multiple scents. We're Basenoters--how could we not think that where one is good, many is MUCH better? After AdP I'm already thinking of what will have to come next because of the great ideas on this thread. I mean really, the man needs a new movie every night, right? Why alternating scents? We all know about that! (Incidently, his latest emails of his movie thoughts are that Munich was a pretty bad movie, and Juno "had a few really good lines" but wasn't his thing either. Before that he really liked "A Long Engagement," because it involved one of his last projects, reading all he could about the battle at The Somme, and "that incredibly beautiful woman," or, Audrey Tautou.

I can't get the idea of him in No.88, now that I've made a vision of how cool that would be. Talk about a scent that would give its wearer license to be, well, just plain cool as he bikes between lecture halls. He says he almost always asks a question of the scholar during the question period at the end of the presentation, and he prefers the lectures at the school of arcitecture and design because they always have donuts. No.88 would indeed be spectacular.

Thanks very much all of you!

Post Thanks / Like

Or floris 89?
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Post Thanks / Like

what about Antaeus ?
    My Top Six - Guerlain Vetiver, Santal Noble, Bois Du Portugal, Antaeus, GIT, Vetiver Extraordinaire

Wardrobe