Code of Conduct

Thread: anti unisex

Post Thanks / Like

Default anti unisex

Am I the only one that feels fragrances should be well separated by gender? I have tried many unisex fragrances but I always fail to find it appealing on me. I have been hooked and attracted by powerhouses and I am still regardless my new fragrance journey thanks to basenotes.net

In fact, looking in retrospective , I feel that the world of fragrances failed me the moment they began to created unisex fragrances, lets say CK and onwards. I do understand that many unisex fragrances are great but on me, or at least in my mind, they do not work, they do not satisfy me or give me the pleasure manly fragrances do.

Perhaps that is why struggle to fully appreciate some niche houses when they claim "unisex". I do appreciate the fragrances itself, do not get me wrong, I just dont fancy it on me. For example Black Orchid , I find it intoxicating, sexy and delicious but I just can wear it. I totally understand that I am the minority because most people wont hesitate in wearing and enjoying unisex juices.

IMHO the unisex trend did more wrong than good to the perfume industry because the perfumistas deviated from developing new "powerhouses" to the creation of unisex which to my eyes are easier, less complex and very generic. In fact unisex and "aquatics" seem to go hand by hand. Just my two cents.
    Last edited by Basteri; 11th September 2009 at 09:14 AM.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: anti unisex

I think so too ^__^ The thing is many unisex scents are really good (Musc Ravageur ...) . The reason why i dont really like the unisex fragrance idea is because i dont want my GF to smell like me !!!
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    IMHO the unisex trend did more wrong than good to the perfume industry because the perfumistas deviated from developing new "powerhouses" to the creation of unisex which to my eyes are easier, less complex and very generic. In fact unisex and "aquatics" seem to go hand by hand. Just my two cents.
    I prefer distinct fragrances on the heavier, denser side. I don't care if these are marketed towards men or women, although I tend to avoid what I consider to be super fruity and floral fragrances for my personal use.

I blame modern business/marketing in general and not the move towards "unisex". The problem is that super low ingredient budgets and super safe directional choices lead to watered-down fragrances.

Post Thanks / Like

I rather like unisex fragrances, and I don't think Cedre, Dzing, Tea for Two are very aquatic either. I don't know a lot of mainstream unisex fragrances but the ones I think of are the aquatic ones, but in niche I don't think most unisex lack personality or depth.

I had to check my wardrobe though to see what fragrances are unisex in there because I really don't pay attention to what label is slapped on my smellies by other people.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Post Thanks / Like

My attitude towards it is somewhere right in the middle- while I usually prefer to emphasize my masculine side, there are unisex scents I actually like.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Am I the only one that feels fragrances should be well separated by gender?
    To do this separation, do you look for the genetalia on the bottom of the bottle or inside of the cap?
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    To do this separation, do you look for the genetalia on the bottom of the bottle or inside of the cap?
    I wish some people were marked "for Men" or "pour Elle". Gender ambiguity pronouns wouldn't be a problem.

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

I happen to enjoy the heavier powerhouse scents, unisex, and those specifically marketed for women, on myself, be it niche or designer. As a bonus, I have been complimented by male and female friends when I wore ladies' fragrances.

Edit: IMO many niche scents marketed as unisex are not aquatics (I do realise that a lot of newer designer ones are)... Take your recently purchased Chergui for example, hopefully it will give you a positive experience
    Last edited by MFJ; 11th September 2009 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    I wish some people were marked "for Men" or "pour Elle". Gender ambiguity pronouns wouldn't be a problem.
    This would avoid many embarrassing social situations!

On the fragrance side, I am pretty much omniscentual...I wear any scent I like, gender label be hanged! Some of the sugar-y girly stuff, though, puts me off my food.

In the end, it's all marketing...yes. I am not deterred by the label.
    Last edited by Primrose; 11th September 2009 at 01:35 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    On the fragrance side, I am pretty much omniscentual...I wear any scent I like, gender label be hanged! Some of the sugar-y girly stuff, though, puts me off my food.

Very well said! This is also how I feel.

Post Thanks / Like

It has nothing to do with gender so please do not take my observations into that arena. I am only talking about my personal taste and preference about fragrances and not about who wears it and why.
    I have smelled men wearing women fragrances and it was fine however I do not feel comfortable myself, it does not work for me.

Niche unisex are most of the times far from aquatic I was referring to designers unisex then there is a serious relationship between unisex = aquatic.

(English is my second language and I cannot express as I would like)

I would like to add a little anecdote to this discussion. I was working at Bath & Body Works when Black Amethyst came out. Now, I believe that Black Amethyst is similar to, if not an exact copy of, Chanel Coco Mademoiselle. However, when I demonstrated Black Amethyst to customers, a significant minority of women responded with, "Ugh, it smells masculine."

What this illustrates to me is that whether a particular note is perceived to be masculine or feminine depends upon cultural assumptions, the personal preferences of the individual, and perhaps even factors that have nothing to do with the sense of smell (the design of the bottle, the name, the logo, et cetera).

Am I the only one that feels fragrances should be well separated by gender? .
    Apart from those opinions shared at Basenotes, it is my feeling that the majority of people share a similar view to yours. Unisex scents seem to make many comfortable who otherwise would not be wearing a particular scent.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yes, I am waiting for Chergui I just felt that it deserves a fair try and hopefully its place in my collection.

Oh yes, I am waiting for Chergui I just felt that it deserves a fair try and hopefully its place in my collection.
    Basteri, maybe you should have started this thread before the thread about Chergui?
    Last edited by Trebor; 11th September 2009 at 03:11 PM.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Why don't you try this Basteri?

Gather a bunch of samples of masculine, feminine and unisex scents. Have a friend decant them into blind vials, marked A, B, C...etc. so that only they know which is which. Then smell them. See if you can tell which one is masculine, feminine and/or unisex only using your nose, without prior information.

I think you'd be surprised at your results.

MANY feminine scents are wearable by men. Yes, of course, you may not feel comfortable wearing a lot of them, but perhaps you just haven't smelled/worn the right feminines and/or unisex scents.

Slightly off topic: I smell MANY feminine fragrance these days, that when they dry down smell JUST like masculine fragrances. The new Circus Fantasy by Britney Spears is evidence of this trend.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Well argued, everyone. I believe the unisex frag movement was marketing-driven, creating scents that are safe and inoffensive to either gender, which translates into bigger market and hopefully higher sales. Unfortunately, perhaps more often than not, they fall into the boring uninspired category. And there are consumers who would avoid any scents labelled as 'unisex'.

I'd rather if they just leave fragrances 'ambiguous' and in gender neutral bottles, WITHOUT labels like pour elle, or pour Homme, or unisex. Much like what some niche houses like Serge Lutens are doing with theirs. Let the customer judge a scent's 'wearability factor' instead. 'cuz I do believe that the so-called masculinity or feminity of a scent depends very much on the person wearing it. Angelina Jolie with Drakka Noir would still be feminine, no?. So to put it in another way, it should be us wearing fragrances rather than fragrances wearing us, KWIM?
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 11th September 2009 at 04:50 PM.

Agree with diamondflame. I wll judge if I like a scent not a company. I don't like anything floral at all but that's my choice. I look up lots of my wifes scents and have same notes as male scents but it's in a pink bottle. You either like ia frag or not, who cares what they call it. I think the better question and maybe what was ment is, do you like all the sweeter scents that keep comming out.
    I post lots from my I phone so if this looks like a text message that's why ( :

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, I can't really speak about designer unisex fragrances, because I haven't tried that many and unisex isn't a popular designation in stores here - things are still very divided along gender lines, even when the juice in the bottle isn't. The only unisex designer I know I've tried is Bvlgari Black, which wasn't amazing to my nose but was quite wearable and not at all aquatic.

Personally, the majority of my favorites are unisex creations from houses like Serge Lutens. Frederic Malle, Comme des Garcons, etc. But I wear both men's and women's fragrances, too. I go by notes and genres rather than the gender on the bottle e.g. I like civet, cloves, tuberose, galbanum, orientals but rarely anything with mint or aquatics.

I do not really think that there is such a thing as a unisex fragrance. The same way that there are no masculine nor feminine fragrances. Because fragrances have NO GENITALIA.... So the question of gender specificity is just a question of esthetics and marketing at the time of production. I am sure most women under the age of 40 would be horrified by vintage feminine fragrances heavy on civet. They would wear Aqua di Gio far more easily than Jicky. And not because they 've lost their feminity but because esthetics have changed. Especially for people who enjoy and research perfumes I think it is irrelevant and self-limiting to think in these terms. And this is coming from someone who enjoys equally masculine powerhouses of the 70's and 80's as well as some feminine scents. Given the popular trends in designer fragrances today I have noticed that people around me feel more comfortable when I wear Sarassins applied with caution than when I wear Anthracite.
    Last edited by cpk; 11th September 2009 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post

Gather a bunch of samples of masculine, feminine and unisex scents. Have a friend decant them into blind vials, marked A, B, C...etc. so that only they know which is which. Then smell them. See if you can tell which one is masculine, feminine and/or unisex only using your nose, without prior information.

MANY feminine scents are wearable by men. Yes, of course, you may not feel comfortable wearing a lot of them, but perhaps you just haven't smelled/worn the right feminines and/or unisex scents.

Slightly off topic: I smell MANY feminine fragrance these days, that when they dry down smell JUST like masculine fragrances. The new Circus Fantasy by Britney Spears is evidence of this trend.
    If more people did this, many more scents would be discussed instead of flatly being scoffed at and disregarded just at the name.

The blind test method has never has worked for anyone I've tried it on. I ask people to smell x-sample and the first questions always one of these, "what's it called?", "what is it?" or "gee whiz, Steve, stop sticking your hand under my nose".

Almost always the response to them sniffing is "it smells musky." Yeah sure, there's no musk in it, silly! Another response I get is "that's a men's cologne?!" They assume it's a men's cologne because I'm wearing it.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Perception has a way of interfering with reality. A few months ago I tested TM's Angel and I thought it smelled amazing. But when I found out it is marketed as a female fragrance my enthusiasm was dampened somehow. It really takes conscious effort on a reviewer's part to ignore the labels and the gender-biased designs/ads and just focus on the scent development. As a bottle collector this has not been easy.

Post Thanks / Like

The other day I tried two fragrances... vintage Hermes Bel Ami on one arm and Dior Dolce Vita on the other. I loved them both equally for different reasons. For one to predispose herself, or himself, to not liking a fragrance just because it's stereotypically feminine really limits you in the wide world of fantastic fragrances.

Olivier Durbano's Black Tourmaline is marketed (at least on the BN database) as a feminine... I'm hoping this was done intentionally by the creator to break down these barriers.

All of that said - yes, I can acknowledge the stereotypical male fragrance has a certain smell to it and the same goes for the stereotypical female fragrance... I just simply don't care anymore, really. And as a bonus, many feminine fragrances come in really pretty bottles!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post

In an elevator the other day, a female co-worker went on and on about how amazing I smelled. She asked what I was wearing because she wanted to buy it for her husband. She blanched when I told her it was Youth Dew.

i think unisex "ideology" fails totally... always is oriented by one side, ,.. in fragance case, im anti - unisex..

Quote Originally Posted by spooneb View Post
    In an elevator the other day, a female co-worker went on and on about how amazing I smelled. She asked what I was wearing because she wanted to buy it for her husband. She blanched when I told her it was Youth Dew.
    You, Sir, are my hero!

I have long since discarded the notion that a fragrance belongs in one gender category or another. The only categories I respond to now are good and bad.

Post Thanks / Like

There are fragrances that one can like but would not wear, in my case I like some/many feminine or unisex fragrances but I chose not to wear them because I do not like how they project or smell on me.
    It has nothing to do with lack of appreciation or sensibility towards a gender fragrance it is purely a question of personal preference at the time of "wearing" and not just "smelling it".As they say "what ever float your boat" :-)

I totally respect and even envy men that can wear ,lets say, Shalimar, I just cant. Reading some of your wise and welcome comments I sense certain "political fragrance correctness", I hope I am mistaken.

Some people like strong wines some others do not like wine at all and many rather have a soft well spoken wine. In my case I tend to like 90% of the time strong, powerhouse, masculine fragrances, with strong sillage and longevity. I get the feeling ,or certain feeling , that my personal fragrance preference is seeing by some with stereotypical eyes.

Post Thanks / Like

Hear Hear !!!!!!
    How niceley put mister B

Post Thanks / Like

Well said - there certainly is an aura of fragrance political correctness. Within the industry the most respected noses will create something based on a concept, not taking gender into consideration. I think there are various philosophies which clash too often on it and restrain us from using language or making observations that will offend others.

There are plenty of fragrances labelled "Pour Homme/Monsieur" or "Pour Femme/Madame" that I appreciate and can't wear... the one common denominator of difficulty in wear for me seems to be tuberose and some of the white florals.

I totally respect and even envy men that can wear ,lets say, Shalimar, I just cant. Reading some of your wise and welcome comments I sense certain "political fragrance correctness", I hope I am mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Some people like strong wines some others do not like wine at all and many rather have a soft well spoken wine. In my case I tend to like 90% of the time strong, powerhouse, masculine fragrances, with strong sillage and longevity. I get the feeling ,or certain feeling , that my personal fragrance preference is seeing by some with stereotypical eyes.
    Cut the "masculine" part out and our tastes are identical. I love powerhouses, but I love them from all genres - I love Patou pour Homme and Poison. I also would give things like Fumidus and Oud Cuir d'Arabie a try before writing off niche unisex as soft or even polite.

I can understand the social aspect of frags, but I don't understand why a person who is so interested in them would limit himself when he can wear some while having no exposure to the public.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    LOL oh my!

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    This would avoid many embarrassing social situations!

I agree.

Although if a scent is either marketed aggressively towards men, has a manly styled bottle ( I know, I know, this is purely my own thing) and makes me think of any man I have enjoyed the smell of, I can't wear it. I have always said- oh no, I cannot wear masculines, I'm too girly etc etc.

Then I tried Creed Cypres Musc and fell in love with it. Still, there is a little nagging voice saying "spray this on a man! smell it on a man!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 3xasif View Post
    I have always said- oh no, I cannot wear masculines, I'm too girly etc etc.

Then I tried Creed Cypres Musc and fell in love with it. Still, there is a little nagging voice saying "spray this on a man! smell it on a man!"

Reviewing my first posts on Basenotes, I find I was very insistent on nothing sweet. I think that lasted until I opened my first vial of Carnal Flower.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

There are fragrances that one can like but would not wear, in my case I like some/many feminine or unisex fragrances but I chose not to wear them because I do not like how they project or smell on me.
    It has nothing to do with lack of appreciation or sensibility towards a gender fragrance it is purely a question of personal preference at the time of "wearing" and not just "smelling it".As they say "what ever float your boat" :-)

You make a great point Basteri - thank you for the clarification(s).

Remember, looking up at your original post, your first sentence reads, 'Am I the only one that feels fragrances should be well separated by gender?' I think it was this sentence in particular (not your preference for masculine fragrances) that caused some 'sterotyping' by some.

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone keeps suggesting that the "masculine" and "feminine" fragrance demarkations are all about marketing, but so is the new trend towards "unisex" fragrances. With a few exceptions, can you really imagine many women wearing "unisex" fragrances like Fumidus, Gris Clair, Fougre Bengale, Black Tourmaline, and C&S Cuba? They are marketed as "unisex" to get some women (who buy much more perfume than men) to give them a try. Like most of you, I think the whole gender thing is bogus, but I do find myself drawn almost entirely to fragrances that are traditionally "masculine" and most of the "unisex" fragrances I wear are really more traditionally "masculine."
    Last edited by Tonyprince; 12th September 2009 at 10:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    Everyone keeps suggesting that the "masculine" and "feminine" fragrance demarkations are all about marketing, but so is the new trend towards "unisex" fragrances. With a few exceptions, can you really imagine many women wearing "unisex" fragrances like Fumidus, Gris Clair, Fougre Bengale, and C&S Cuba?
    I can't really imagine many people in general wearing them, especially not in cultures where most men's frags are bland and fresh and most women's frags are fruity-floral candy ( as seems to be the case locally ).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    I can't really imagine many people in general wearing them, especially not in cultures where most men's frags are bland and fresh and most women's frags are fruity-floral candy ( as seems to be the case locally ).
    True.

Post Thanks / Like

I sample everything I can get my hands on. If I like it enough I buy more. I don't care about marketing strategies. How would I have discovered the beauty of Homage because Amouge thinks it's for women. I wear it all the time as well as many other frags marketed for women. I let my nose make all the decisions for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I like warm gourmands in general and many can interpret them as "feminine"....to me, sexuality of the fragrance can not readily be defined by anyone outside of Taught designation for scents, colors in our society.

When you were a 3-4-5 year old a smell of a flower did not carry a "feminine" association to you or anyone your age....it is only until you smelled the heavy florals on women and women only that you began associating and attaching gender role to a scent. Same goes for stricly "masculine" scents like leather or wood. Thus, if you break down the reasoning behind what we in general percieve as "masculine" and "feminine", you will slowly begin to understand that the gender boundary that exists in the world of fragrance is completely society originated and is a complete illusion.

I wear Eclat Lanvin D'arpege and the wonderful white, floral musk smells divine on me....and when females constantly tell me how good it smells not one has ever said that it smells 'feminine'.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    I would like to add a little anecdote to this discussion. I was working at Bath & Body Works when Black Amethyst came out. Now, I believe that Black Amethyst is similar to, if not an exact copy of, Chanel Coco Mademoiselle. However, when I demonstrated Black Amethyst to customers, a significant minority of women responded with, "Ugh, it smells masculine."

What this illustrates to me is that whether a particular note is perceived to be masculine or feminine depends upon cultural assumptions, the personal preferences of the individual, and perhaps even factors that have nothing to do with the sense of smell (the design of the bottle, the name, the logo, et cetera).
    Very good point. I often use my mother, who I believe to have very good taste, as a measuring stick of how something smells on me. On numerous occasions, she has clamed that a scent that I believe to either be leaning towards feminine or is actually marketed towards women, either smells masculine or that she doesn't see how a woman could wear it. One perfect example is L'Artisan Fleur de Liane, in which she claimed was very masculine. I don't find it to be masculine in the least, and I doubt most others would as well. On the opposite side of the spectrum she finds Frapin 1270 to smell feminine, which I don't agree with either. I even had the girl at Sephora, whom at first told me that Black Orchid was for "women, not men", claim after smelling it, that "hey, I'd love my boyfriend to wear this, it actually DOES smell masculine". It's all a damn game.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 13th September 2009 at 01:47 AM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Good point here! But then the title of the thread is all wrong. I love poewrhouses too! Shouldn't the title read: "anti-Elena-trend"? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    On the opposite side of the spectrum she finds Frapin 1270 to smell feminine, which I don't agree with either
    First time I smelled this I thought it was amazing. Upon second inspection I thought this is a strawberry teenage girl fragrance. A good one but really not for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cpk View Post
    First time I smelled this I thought it was amazing. Upon second inspection I thought this is a strawberry teenage girl fragrance. A good one but really not for me.
    Wow, it proves how different our noses and skin can be. I don't get any strawberry at all, and I detest the strawberry in something like Black XS. At first it's cocoa dusted drunken fruit, akin to but much better and easily wearable than SL Arabie. It gets more gourmand from there on in. I just love it.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 13th September 2009 at 05:06 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Wow, it proves how different our noses and skin can be. I don't get any strawberry at all, and I detest the strawberry in something like Black XS. At first it's cocao dusted drunken fruit, akin to but much better and easily wearable than SL Arabie. It gets more gourmand from there on in. I just love it.
    Agreed. No strawberry detected either.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    Everyone keeps suggesting that the "masculine" and "feminine" fragrance demarkations are all about marketing, but so is the new trend towards "unisex" fragrances. With a few exceptions, can you really imagine many women wearing "unisex" fragrances like Fumidus, Gris Clair, Fougre Bengale, Black Tourmaline, and C&S Cuba?
    On Basenotes, I doubt they're the exception. Outside of Basenotes... well, how many people, regardless of gender, have heard of those fragrances at all? People wearing that type of scent are the exception in a huge market. So yah.

What I'm always astounded by in these gender/'fume discussions is that so many contributors seem to get hung up on a universal norm of acceptably gendered aroma's. Way I see it, everyone has a personal tolerance level for notes and styles they consider "them", "too feminine" or "too masculine". No need for reference to a higher level of authority, guys. You really are the ultimate judge when it comes to what you like! So live a little, eh?
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by veuve amiot View Post
    On Basenotes, I doubt they're the exception. Outside of Basenotes... well, how many people, regardless of gender, have heard of those fragrances at all? People wearing that type of scent are the exception in a huge market. So yah.

What I'm always astounded by in these gender/'fume discussions is that so many contributors seem to get hung up on a universal norm of acceptably gendered aroma's. Way I see it, everyone has a personal tolerance level for notes and styles they consider "them", "too feminine" or "too masculine". No need for reference to a higher level of authority, guys. You really are the ultimate judge when it comes to what you like! So live a little, eh?
    Amen!!!

In my case, I'm a woman but almost the only "feminines" that I like are galbanum-and-jasmine-soaked green florals - and I actually don't see why something like Chanel No. 19 parfum or the original Vent Vert should be classed as "feminine".

Outside the galbanum world, my favorites are almost entirely unisex or even masculines. Some officially unisex fragrances, like Osmanthe Yunnan, are in fact too feminine for me most days.

However, I can see that a fragrance designed to please everyone would have a "least common denominator" effect, so that while unisex fragrances don't need to be bad, bad designed-by-committee let's-please-everyone fragrances are quite likely to _be_ unisex, because that doubles the potential market.

So I'd say that there may be a correlation between unisex fragrance and lousy fragrance, but there's no causality. I think that the common cause of some of the unisex trend and some of the bad-fragrance trend is the please-everyone motivation. When that motivation is absent, for example as with Chergui (or Serge Noire, which I like much better), I think that unisex works just fine.

Crayfish

Post Thanks / Like

interesting observations by everyone, thank you all for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Crayfish View Post
    In my case, I'm a woman but almost the only "feminines" that I like are galbanum-and-jasmine-soaked green florals - and I actually don't see why something like Chanel No. 19 parfum or the original Vent Vert should be classed as "feminine".
    Crayfish
    In fact my uncle, not a perfumista, not even someone who buys his on cologne, has been known to raid my aunt's Vent Vert.
    Last edited by cpk; 14th September 2009 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by acceptfacts View Post
    When you were a 3-4-5 year old a smell of a flower did not carry a "feminine" association to you or anyone your age....it is only until you smelled the heavy florals on women and women only that you began associating and attaching gender role to a scent. Same goes for stricly "masculine" scents like leather or wood. Thus, if you break down the reasoning behind what we in general percieve as "masculine" and "feminine", you will slowly begin to understand that the gender boundary that exists in the world of fragrance is completely society originated and is a complete illusion.
    So true. Our feelings about what is feminine/masculine probably started with what scents were worn by important people in our lives. My mum wore uber femme florals and my dad never wore cologne. As a teenager when boys became quite important it was the early 80s and I was imprinted with Polo, Drakkar, Aramis, Halston et al as manly masculines by the boys. I still love them to this day and find fragrances that lean in that traditionally masculine fashion are fabulous and irresistible on man would never get worn by me. Except by contact

Musks have somehow remained non gender specific to me. Love them on a man or a woman.

One thing I have wondered about was a time around 16 years old when a hypnotist came to my high school and did a shtick that included smelling an imaginary scent that was " the ultimate sexy man's cologne". I can recall that scent today. It was manly and delish and sometimes I wonder if that helped form my feelings of a "masculine scent". (ps- that same scent smelled like garbage to the boys...)
    Last edited by Jane Daly; 14th September 2009 at 11:56 AM.