Code of Conduct

Talking A Men Pure Malt is available on line !!!!

Default Re: A Men Pure Malt is available on line !!!!

Who will be the first to blind buy?!?!

This scent is going to be interesting
    Perfume noob

That's fast! But the bottle looks too much like B*Men.

I can't purchase it the website is screw up and I am getting a white screen at checkout. This has happened before they have a poor web host that maintains that site.

screw blind buying anything with malt in it. Malt can taste delicious, but unlike chocolate/gourmand I can confidently say malt doesn't sound as appealing

I thought it meant malt as in Ovaltine and Whoppers. Boy was I ever wrong!

Talking Re: A Men Pure Malt is available on line !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyfunny View Post
    I thought it meant malt as in Ovaltine and Whoppers. Boy was I ever wrong!
    Oh no not that malt! This is wiskey / scotch malts! LOL

I feel this is going to be interesting for the malt will cut any sweetness in the fragrance and add a rich character and bite to the scent.
    Last edited by scentimus; 17th April 2009 at 04:13 AM.

Reminds me of some of my "experiments," adding vanilla extract sweetened with corn syrup to some frags that I thought might smell better that way. LOL.

As far as pure style and innovation goes, Mugler is one of my favorite designers. WHY CAN'T HIS MALE FRAGRANCE FLACONS BE A LITTTLEEEEE MORE INTERESTING?????????????

Cheers,
    Al

those bottles suck.. they refuse me to even try these A*Men..
    unico grande amore.

This sounds very interesting, I wonder if it will ever make it to Aus? As far as I know, Pure Coffee didn't, and I've been wanting to try that since I heard of it...
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Ah, THAT kind of malt, is it?
    I was thinking more the "Malteasers" kind of malt.

... that changes everything. I would have much preferred the foody malt as opposed to the scotch / whiskey malt. *sigh*

I find A*men quite chocolately anyway so chocolate and whiskey FTW , I will deffo blind buy as soon as it arrives over ere

The bottle's quite like Bmen. I'm so crazy now. Can't wait to have it in my collection!!!

Me. Wants. Now.
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Talking Re: A Men Pure Malt is available on line !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chocolateguy View Post
    " I'm so crazy now. "!!!
    Please don't hurt any of us!!!!

Blog Entries

I wonder when are they going to have them in stores. I just called my Nordstrom's, and they don't have it in yet.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Mudassir View Post
    I wonder when are they going to have them in stores. I just called my Nordstrom's, and they don't have it in yet.
    Too bad we can't keep similar topics all in the same thread - especially when they are only a day apart. http://community.basenotes.net/showt...highlight=malt
    Last edited by petruccijc; 17th April 2009 at 08:14 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Reminds me of some of my "experiments," adding vanilla extract sweetened with corn syrup to some frags that I thought might smell better that way. LOL.
    You read my mind! I considered using vanilla extract for human consumption in an inexpensive lavander fragrance just to experiment if I could make my own "Pour un Homme"; the original perfume essence I bought, even though a good quality one, was way too strong.

How did your experiment turned like? Looks like it wernt awry...

The vanilla extract often works well but you have to adjust it, which isn't that big a deal. I think it worked best with the original CdG Parfum.

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    I can't purchase it the website is screw up and I am getting a white screen at checkout. This has happened before they have a poor web host that maintains that site.
    I am having trouble ordering this too, the screen goes blank and that's it. Horrible.
    I love Jasmine.

I LOVE those bottles! They are man-sized yet fit easily into your palm. The atomizer is easy to operate. They are perfectly weighted and feel substantial. I especially like the way the glass star is cut to extend just beyond the depth of the bottle. The Pure Coffee opaque, plastic star was a bit of a let down though. I also like the uniformity of them lined up on my counter. I would have preferred the IceMen bottle be the same as the others but at least it has the same basic silhouette.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

OMG, I don't think that even Pure Coffee costed that much, did it? I can't remember. Is this to be a permanent flanker? Pure Malt seems like a bit of a spinoff of Au Part des Anges too.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick View Post
    OMG, I don't think that even Pure Coffee costed that much, did it? I can't remember. Is this to be a permanent flanker? Pure Malt seems like a bit of a spinoff of Au Part des Anges too.
    You are correct it is a spin off of Au Par Anges where the technology was perfected in using oak casts to age the Angel parfum.

But as Au Par was limited so is Pure Malt - shame for it would make a good EDP version of A*Men if you ask me.
    Last edited by scentimus; 27th April 2009 at 10:23 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Any ideas when well get this in the UK?
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

slightly off topic, does anyone know where the coffee version can still be had? or if you have one.. pm me.
    If you see this, please be warned that my wardrobe is woefully out of date. It may never be updated. Feel free to ask any questions you may have, but be warned!

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by zr0e View Post
    slightly off topic, does anyone know where the coffee version can still be had? or if you have one.. pm me.
    I saw it being sold at my local Saks this past weekend.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I think that I read this item will be on offer only online (no retail).Is that true?
    By the way, I managed to win a full tester of Pure Coffee,I suppose because it was listed simply as "Aftershave"...
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

I just tried this at Macys yesterday. They actually had a tester but only 2 bottles left for sale. They said they received it last week and almost sold out and it is limited edition. The fragrance itself is really nice, not as overpowering as the original. The patchouli and tar are turned down but there is some of the sweetness of thr original. The boozy notes are great with a touch of vanilla. This one smells more mature and sophisticated than the original I didn't end up buying a bottle because I'm not sure I can justify spending $70 on it.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Ugh. Can Mugler do something else besides patchouli? It's getting tedious.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I saw it being sold at my local Saks this past weekend.
    Sorry, but which Saks was this? I've been looking around to get a bottle for my collection, but have completely struck out. I'm not beyond driving two hours to get one.

Tell Hugo, he isnt boss anymore.
    Nieruchomości Gorzˇw

Yes the bottle looks too much like B*Men, can't they make it more distinct?
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Just sampled this at Macys. Very nice...I agree with Azsmells...toned down...more mature..more dry with cedar maybe. Definitely bottle worthy.

I really want a bottle! Sounds awesome and I really like those bottles. I was a bit tempted in getting a backup bottle of B*Men but should save some room for Malt and Pure Coffee! I hope I can get a bottle during the cold seasons.

Sur la Plage

I got mine at Nordstrom today.

Blog Entries

There was only one bottle still available in Houston's Nordstrom. I assume these are flying off the shelves. There wasn't a tester available, so I had to buy it blind. As with most Mugler scents, the proof lies in the pudding (pudding being drydown).

Tried it today, almost bought it, but am glad that I didn't. Its initial burst smelled like the other variations, but within 10 minutes, a real strong whiskey note comes on, not unlike the one found in D'Orsay's Le Dandy. If it were to have stayed like this, I think it would have been a purchase. Unfortunately, 50 or so minutes later, it smells like the same patchouli-heavy dry-down as the others. Ultimately, for me, the heart notes were nice... but the rest of it didn't separate itself, nor last long enough, for me to want to buy it.
    The Bark Bites Back.

Blog Entries

[quote=Thebark;1510770]Unfortunately, 50 or so minutes later, it smells like the same patchouli-heavy dry-down as the others. [\quote]

It doesn't smell to be as patchouli heavy as, lets say ICE*Men. Nevertheless, drydown is what I really like about Pure Malt (or most other Mugler fragrances for that matter). I wish some of the niche that sell for triple or quadruple the price would put half as much effort into drydowns (patchouli heavy or not).

Quote Originally Posted by Thebark View Post
    Unfortunately, 50 or so minutes later, it smells like the same patchouli-heavy dry-down as the others.
    But that down dry is the Thierry Mugler signature to his fragrances. It is that blend of notes that makes you know some one in the room is wearing a Mugler fragrance.

Goodness, I've a feeling that many basenoters here are responsible for Amen Pure Malt 'flying off the shelves' in most department stores! This was so much talked about even before its official release.

Quote Originally Posted by xmen View Post
    Goodness, I've a feeling that many basenoters here are responsible for Amen Pure Malt 'flying off the shelves' in most department stores! This was so much talked about even before its official release.
    No, it's probably the fact that it smells friggin great is why it is flying off the shelves! I love mine so much that I had the sales associate make me like 20 samples when I bought mine so I wouldn't have to open it up for a while. She also hooked me up with a bunch of narcisso musc for him samples, 6 of them. By the way, here is a small sample of part of my collection. I posted it in another thread as well.

Last edited by Maz24; 13th May 2009 at 11:21 AM.

Basenotes Plus

I'm still waiting for this to come out in the UK, Ive been keeping an eye out but nothing is showing up in the department stores
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Quote Originally Posted by xmen View Post
    That's the reason I jumped on it. I didn't want to wait too long and find that it was gone like Pure Coffee. Macy's had just gotten their shipment of Pure Malt in and the SA told me it was limited edition and she didn't know if they'd get more. I think she told me that when they got Pure Coffee they sold out fast and never got any more.

The flask is better looking than in the photos. In the photos, the star looks reddish-- like B*Men. In reality, the star is a golden yellow.

Having tested this for a day, it's really quite different from A*Men. It's not so loud and it doesn't suck the air out of a room. I'm thinking it might show a lot more dynamics when exposed to body heat. Funny thing on the side... I don't really get the famous "tar" note this time, yet something about Pure Malt reminds me of Comme des Garšons Synthetic Series; Tar, so maybe it IS there!

Last edited by Indie_Guy; 13th May 2009 at 04:39 PM. Reason: typo

Plastic star on the Pure Coffee? Mine feels like metal! (a gold star, right??)

If Pure Malt has anything like the drydown of Pure Coffee then I'm sold already. I am thoroughly hooked on PC, and have bought enough to last me a year. I would buy more, but I don't know how long an unopened botlle will keep for before losing it's magic. I havent found anything like PC's drydown anywhere.
    Looking forward to trying PM. PC could have been called Pure Havana, because I can smell tobacco in the mix. Cigars and whisky, now that would be an interesting combo.

Quote Originally Posted by mgrz View Post
    Plastic star on the Pure Coffee? Mine feels like metal! (a gold star, right??)
    no it is clear glass the fragrance is golden color. I think the metal star was too pricey and that was not used this time around -

I spoke with a Mugler Rep today and spoke my rant on why the body products are being discontinued in the USA. She said that Angel Men is lacking sales greatly - the parent company is hoping that the name change to A*Men will help and these flankers will draw in potential customers to the brand.

She also said to look for more A*Men limited editions in the future. Th next is a version to be based on vodka. Personally I think Mugler Perfumes should let the whole A*Men thing go and move into the direction of launching a totally new men's scent - they are killing this fragrance to death and watering down the original concept with all these flanker...
    Last edited by scentimus; 16th May 2009 at 01:58 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    Personally I think Mugler Perfumes should let the whole A*Men thing go and move into the direction of launching a totally new men's scent - they are killing this fragrance to death and watering down the original concept will all these flanker...
    I think both the flankers are much better than A*Men itself - which itself could hold its own against a majority of scents. Whatever they are doing, I am all for it!

BINGO

After some contemplating I bought the last bottle in the valley this afternoon. The first Nordstrom I visited sold out their stock in the first week or it's release. Fortunately for me, they had a tester behind the counter and I got to test it out. Immediately I knew I was going to love it. I already own A*Men and B*Men and like them on rare occasions, but think the Pure Malt will be worn in a top 5 rotation. I love it that much.

From Nordstrom I called Scottsdale location who also said they are sold out. Luckily Neimans had one bottle left and I snagged it. They don't expect another shipment anytime soon.

Supposedly it did so well in sales that Mugler might release it as a regular seller.

My impression of this magnificent scent. It's truly marvelous. What a impressive piece of work Mugler did with this one. It has similar characteristics of A*Men minus all the things I didn't like about it.

The opening is heavy whiskey and vanilla. It really projects on my skin for the first hour and then starts to dry down to a deep gourmand like A*men minus the tar note. It's really something!

Pure Malt won't project like A*Men, but it's bold enough to be smelt in waves of time. When you think it's gone it appears from no where and makes itself heard. Patrick from Notes on a fragrance (youtube) does a fantastic review on Pure Malt that I concur with 100%

Over all, I am completely thrilled about Pure Malt and would love to see this available as a regular seller. For $70, 3.4 oz, it's a steal.

For someone looking for a bold choice, yet more tolerable than A*Men, you have GOT to try this. Don't be fooled by letting someone try to sell you this on a scent strip, you'll be disappointed. It MUST be worn on the skin and given a far enough amount of time to be given a true review. Sadly, A*men has left a somewhat bad impression on many for it's few annoying notes that I can't this would be a wise blind buy. But if I bought this one blind, I am happy to say I would be blown away with my risky decision.

I haven't smelt Pure Coffee, so I can't say I smell a resemblance. Perhaps I will like it if it's similar to Pure Malt.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BINGO View Post
    I haven't smelt Pure Coffee, so I can't say I smell a resemblance. Perhaps I will like it if it's similar to Pure Malt.
    I think there's a resemblance - and that they're both big winners. I found Pure Coffee easier to love at first sniff. Pure Malt took a couple of wears. I set it down in the store, but got a sample later, and the sample won me over.

The Angel/A*Men thing was way bigger than the originals. It's a huge piece of perfume-space that has the Mugler flag flying all over it. I suspect that there are a couple more flankers out there somewhere that will rival even these ones. I agree with Tania Sanchez that you can't do anything in that space that doesn't ape the originals, but - to borrow the phrase from Memento - they do it so well. There almost has to be a variant that you're going to like. I thought I would never wear A*men. Wrong.

BINGO

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I think there's a resemblance - and that they're both big winners. I found Pure Coffee easier to love at first sniff. Pure Malt took a couple of wears. I set it down in the store, but got a sample later, and the sample won me over.

The Angel/A*Men thing was way bigger than the originals. It's a huge piece of perfume-space that has the Mugler flag flying all over it. I suspect that there are a couple more flankers out there somewhere that will rival even these ones. I agree with Tania Sanchez that you can't do anything in that space that doesn't ape the originals, but - to borrow the phrase from Memento - they do it so well. There almost has to be a variant that you're going to like. I thought I would never wear A*men. Wrong.
    Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for the Pure Coffee. It sounds yummy.

The first day I wore the Pure Malt I could smell the opening whiskey for a good hour which I LOVE. But not so much the second time. The second time it started off closer to A*men and dried down to A*men. I'm starting to notice a stronger resemblance.

Either way, the Pure Malt has real depth and will cut through in choice weather. I hope it's eventually released as a regular.