3.) Pour Monsieur 152 wears (#39)
    4.) Coco 131 wears (#54)
    5.) No. 19 129 wears (#56)
    6.) Bois des Iles 128 wears (#58)
    7.) Coromandel 117 wears (#64)
    8.) Platinum Egoiste 111 wears (#73)
    9.) Allure Homme 90 wears (#103)
    9.) Sycomore 90 wears (#103)

Chanel ended up as the fourth most worn House over the last year. It also had the second largest jump in average due to the addition of the women to the stats. Over the first nine weeks, without the women it averaged 22.11 wears/week over the last 43 weeks, including the women, it averaged 46.72 wears/week. Doubling the average, only Guerlain saw as big an effect from the addition of the women. Chanel also showed significant strength over the last half of the year only dipping below 40 wears on three weeks. The scents that made the top 10 for the House are interesting. The third scent Pour Monsieur is a discontinued scent and takes some effort to find on eBay. It had more than twice the wears of the much more easily available Pour Monsieur Concentree which had 72 wears. If you went up to an average person and said fill in the blank “Chanel blank” most would say Number 5. Number 5 is the number two most sold perfume in the world. Another example of how different this community is, is that Number 5 had only 83 wears and the Number that had the most wears was Number 19. Chanel launched a line called Les Exclusifs in 2006 and three of those scents make the House top 10 in Bois des Iles, Coromandel, and Sycomore. Bois des Iles is an almost perfect unisex scent as it splits 56/44 male to female. The spike in week 11 is due to a synchronized wear day around Chanel.
    Chanel is an interesting House on the boards as there are many scents which are highly appreciated, Coco by the women and Antaeus by the men. Allure Homme on the other hand gets its share of criticism but it still gets worn quite a bit. Chanel more than any of the other big 5 Houses seems to get judged on a case-by-case basis and there doesn’t seem to be a general like or dislike of the House as a whole with opinions more coalesced around individual scents.
    That is the Chanel tale.
    Tomorrow we finish the big 5 as we take a look at Hermes.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Default Re: SotY: Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    The third scent Pour Monsieur is a discontinued scent and ...
    Chanel Pour Monsieur (1955) is still in production. It is marketed in Europe, Canada and much of the rest of the world. For whatever reason, Chanel USA has chosen to distribute only Pour Monsieur Concentree in the United States.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Thank you for clarifying TwoRoads.
    I have too much of a USA-centric view of things and assume if it isn't available here it must not be available anywhere.
    For a scent like Pour Monsieur it is good to know that colognoisseurs have options.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Chanel Pour Monsieur is very readily available in the shops here in Ireland. A very fine scent, but I have concerns about its longevity. On the other hand, if it is relatively difficult to obtain, maybe I should purchase!

Blog Entries

Very interesting stats - thanks again. I wonder why Chanel is rising - or if it's just a cyclical thing.

Looking forward to Hermès!

The original PM is sometimes available at US Duty Free Shops. It's distribution is quite erratic though. Terminal 4's DF at JFK has it, but the other terminals there, that I've left from, don't.
    I see it much more often in Europe.
    I'm sure it's always available at US Chanel Boutiques.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 18th April 2009 at 05:09 PM.

Has anyone ever inquired about why Chanel essentially doesn't distribute PM in the US? In Germany, where I was living last year, it's as common as any other mainstream designer scent. I'm so glad I picked up a bottle. It's one of my absolute favorite scents for warm days and fairly formal occasions.

Slightly OT, but what other fragrances from the big houses are like this (widely available outside the US but unavailable in the US)? Do Jules or Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir fall into this category?
    Last edited by PhinClio; 18th April 2009 at 05:19 PM.