Code of Conduct

Default A Barbershoppy Fougere... For Summer?

I have come to the conclusion that I like fougere frags. In particular barbershop ones (apply your own definition here). In the past, my default Summer setting was always something aquatic or citrus-y, but I now find "blue" scents a little dull and citrus colognes too short-lasting, or oddly sweaty. I mean, I like ADP, but it lasts 20 minutes on me. I like T&H Freshman, but it's starting to make me doze off.

My "signature" frags now seem to be things like Rive Gauche, a bit of Brut, Guerlain Vetiver, T&H Grafton, Dunhill 1934.... with the exception of the Vetiver, I get the impression that these are all more suited to cooler weather, or evening use. Is there a nice fougere that's nice and fresh for day-wear or sunny weather? I'm just looking for an affable cologne/edt that's subtle and not too sweet - I find that in order to give a fougere some levity, they make them too oriental with a bucketload of vanilla which I don't find too appealing. Bitter green notes and a bit of powder = good. Chocolate ice cream = bad. For me, anyway.

YSL Jazz/ Live Jazz? Grey Flannel? TOBS Mr Taylor? Green Valley? Hell... Polo?

Any suggestions gladly welcome, apologies if this has been done to death!

Default Re: A Barbershoppy Fougere... For Summer?

Try MPG Garrigue. To me it's Green Irish Tweed meets Barbasol. Great great stuff.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

If you consider pine fragrances "barbershop-y" like I do, you could go for l'Artisan's Fou d'Absinthe, it's light, no sweetness, and has worked well in the summer for me. It's lacking a bit in the longevity department however, only 3-5 hrs on me.

I think RGPH can be worn in the summer pretty easily... If not, there is always RGPH light...

How about Penhaligon's English Fern?

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    I think RGPH can be worn in the summer pretty easily.
    I agree.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Versace Black Jeans perhaps? A more youthful, macho version of Rive Gauche PH.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    +1

Classic scent. Not great longevity, but decent - a solid 3 to 4 hours for me.
    - E.J.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    I'll third English Fern. It's good stuff.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Bitter greens + a bit of powder + barbershoppy = Trumper’s Eucris…which is anything but subtle, at least in the opening. However, I do use it a lot in hot weather, I just apply very little. It goes on very fresh and invigorating and dries down to a classic powdery musk.
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I agree.
    Also agreed. Thirded.

In the perky green mode: Penhaligons English Fern and Geo F. Trumper's Wild Fern.
    I like T&H Grafton, and think of it as a all-year scent.
    In a more powerful mode, definitely Trumper's Eucris. Also check out Astor.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Thanks for the great suggestions! Some were already on my radar, which at least (I think) means I wasn't looking in the total wrong direction.

I'm going to wear RG tonight as it's warm-ish and see how I get on.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    In the perky green mode: Penhaligons English Fern and Geo F. Trumper's Wild Fern.
    I like T&H Grafton, and think of it as a all-year scent.
    In a more powerful mode, definitely Trumper's Eucris. Also check out Astor.
    Throw in yet another vote for the Ferns, though I have trouble getting much longevity out of them. (They seem pretty linear, if I'm remembering correctly - Could be olfactory fatigue, too.)

i second rive gauche ph and maybe classic - azzaro ph!
    Tell Hugo, he isnt boss anymore.
    Nieruchomości Gorzów

Maybe you should try Antonio Puigs Aqua de Lavender
    it's fresh, it's smells great for summer, and it
    has a very "barbershoppy" essence
    if you want to put it that way

Gucci Envy has a barbershop feel to my nose, and i could see it being worn in the heat.

You might try Yerbamate by Lorenzo Villoresi. It is a barbershop fragrance due to the powder but still very green and refreshing. Also from LV is Uomo which is green and refreshing like Rive Gauche but is greener and kind incensey. Both are fantastic.

Basenotes Institution

Roadster by Cartier
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
    Gucci Envy has a barbershop feel to my nose, and i could see it being worn in the heat.
    Another frag that has a somewhat similar vibe that fares well in the heat and definitely has a barbershop feel is V&R Antidote.

What about Fleur Du Male or La Cologne Fleur Du Male? Not exactly a traditional fougere but they've got a nice barbershop vibe.

Also, Prada's Infusion D'Homme is worth a sniff.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more