Code of Conduct

Default Help needed - best vanilla scents?

Hi can I pick the brains of all you experts out there. Which fragrances are the best vanilla ones? I really like Annick Goutal's passion but despite everyone saying this is a really powerful perfume it seems to fade very quickly on me. Any suggestions welcome.

Default Re: Help needed - best vanilla scents?

I'm not an expert, and I don't know what the 'best' is, I just know what I like. You'll do your own sampling and determine the same. There are a million vanillas out there! Hermessence Vanille Galante is heavily discussed these days, and would be worth a try as it is different. It isn't heavy on vanilla at all, and isn't as sweet as so many of the more gourmandy vanillas like the CSP range. CSP has a plethora of vanillas (Vanille Extreme) and her combos like Vanille Pithaya, Vanille Abricot, etc., etc.

For something equally different, Micallef's Vanille Aoud, which is gorgeous and warming.

There are also houses that are exclusive to vanillas like La Maison de la Vanille.

Have fun sampling!

Non-foody vanilla's-

Fleur des Comores ~ MPG
    Vanille Galante ~ Hermes
    Vanilia ~ L'Artisan
    KenzoAmour ~ Kenzo
    Angelique Noire ~ Guerlain

These are my faves! If you like gourmand (sweet, foody type) vanilla, try:

Vanille Exquise ~ Goutal
    Spirituese Double Vanille ~ Guerlain
    Vanille ~ L'Aromarine

Best of luck and be sure to post your impressions when you test!

Wink Re: Help needed - best vanilla scents?

Just got Vanilla Noir bbw, very nice and lasting

Bath and Body Works has a new vanilla out called Vanilla Noir. Its a dark vanilla and its really nice. Ha! Jinx you owe me a coke!
    Last edited by ChantillyLace; 17th April 2009 at 07:51 PM.

Agree with all of the above and would like to add:

Lemon/vanilla: Eau de Shalimar. Surprisingly good; excellent if you like the idea of lemon tart fragrance with proper perfume personality. It flip-flops between edible and not edible.

And of course for the best oriental/vanilla: Shalimar (particularly pure perfume).

Ava Luxe Love's True Bluish Light is very popular here and it has a prominent vanilla-note all the way through it. She does other vanilla scents too, but I've not sampled those.

... and I do have to mention a new jasmine/vanilla/sandalwood perfume with a smouldering base: "Vanillary" perfume by Lush, which will be out in September (currently in preview packaging ltd. edition on the UK website only).
    Last edited by Nukapai; 17th April 2009 at 08:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukapai View Post
    Agree with all of the above and would like to add:

Lemon/vanilla: Eau de Shalimar. Surprisingly good; excellent if you like the idea of lemon tart fragrance with proper perfume personality. It flip-flops between edible and not edible.

And of course for the best oriental/vanilla: Shalimar (particularly pure perfume).

Ava Luxe Love's True Bluish Light is very popular here and it has a prominent vanilla-note all the way through it. She does other vanilla scents too, but I've not sampled those.

... and I do have to mention a new jasmine/vanilla/sandalwood perfume with a smouldering base: "Vanillary" perfume by Lush, which will be out in September (currently in preview packaging ltd. edition on the UK website only).
    Smouldering jasmine with vanilla? Sounds fantastic. Thanks so much for the tip!
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

I must declare my interest in recommending Vanillary - yes, I have some and yes, I think it's very good - but the perfumer is also my boss Just in case people think I'm being cheeky and advertising!

Basenotes Institution

For real straight up vanilla - Montale Vanille Absolu and it lasts and lasts !
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 17th April 2009 at 09:49 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Sur la Plage

Micallef Note Vanillee
    Last edited by petruccijc; 18th April 2009 at 01:59 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Love, by Kilian
    For many hours it smells like cotton candy, but the dry down is vanilla.
    Evenstar

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    Love, by Kilian
    For many hours it smells like cotton candy, but the dry down is vanilla.
    I second this, not as a vanilla rec, but simply because it smells like the best cotton candy in the world - like neroli and vanilla flavoured cotton candy... I'm salivating thinking about it this on my girlfriend
    Sales thread here

Hillaire

My favorite vanilla scent is S de Scherrer by Jean Louis Scherrer.

I think it's so elegant.

Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille. Roasty toasty vanilla. I've been craving this lately.

happy is the bleu heart<3

Some fragrances that are not straight vanilla, but very vanilla heavy:

Addict for a dead sexy vanilla
    Trouble for a fun, sweet, girly vanilla
    Etro Heliotrope for a cool, clean, airy vanilla. The heliotrope adds to the effect.
    Un Bois Vanille for a woody, exotic vanilla
    Caron Pour Un Homme for a powdery, lavender vanilla
    Lavanila Vanilla Grapefruit for an unusual mix of tart and juicy with sweet and creamy.
    Jaipur pour Homme for my holy trinity of notes: vanilla, amber, and heliotrope

Oh so many more! Have fun exploring vanilla, it's one of my favorite notes in a fragrance.

Love your name BTW!
    Last edited by shadesofbleu; 18th April 2009 at 07:25 PM.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Quote Originally Posted by ChantillyLace View Post
    Bath and Body Works has a new vanilla out called Vanilla Noir. Its a dark vanilla and its really nice. Ha! Jinx you owe me a coke!
    Hey, Chantilly, I'm wearing the body lotion today, and it's GORGEOUS! I smell like I bathed in a vanilla-bean bath.

My personal faves for vanilla frags are La Maison du Vanille's Vanille Noir Mexique and Yves Rocher Vanille Bourbon. I also adore Guerlain Vanille Galante, though I find that more lily based than vanilla, and of course, the ever-gorgeous Hermes Vetiver Tonka.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Vaniglia del Madagascar by IPdF
    Guerlain's Ylang et Vanille

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post

Spirituese Double Vanille ~ Guerlain
    )
    Yes agreed, I love this vannilla, because
    it defys the usual steryotype of vanilla
    it is a darker, almost "medicanal"
    vanilla

I love vanilla in scents Some of my favourites are: Shalimar, L by lolita Lempicka,Love's true bluish light,Trouble,JPG Classique and Bulgari Black.I also love Hypnotic Poison,but on me it's quite blended with no notes really dominating.
    Last edited by ineespenes; 18th April 2009 at 09:18 PM.

I third Guerlain's Spiritueuse Double Vanille. I'm not a fan of sweet vanillas. On me It doesn't come out as sweet or foody--more smoky, slightly boozey, and incense-y.

Nuka, thanks for the heads-up; can't wait to try Vanillary!
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Creed Angélique Encens dries down to a fresh vanilla pod on me. Not cake batter vanilla, but that black wrinkled wet stick with a gorgeous slightly sour aroma. Yah, I spent too much time sniffinf vanilla pods.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Just thought I'd put the good word in for Ayala Moriel's Immortelle L'Amour, a very nice vanilla and immortelle fragrance.

Wow! Thank you so much. You've really given me some great ideas to try out. I work in London and will be staying over in the 'Big Smoke' for the rest of the week - so I guess Harrods perfume Hall is going to be on my 'to do' list. I'll let you know how I get on!

Indult Tihota (or the duplicate from Skindecent.com & LunaBleu.com)

Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post
    I second this, not as a vanilla rec, but simply because it smells like the best cotton candy in the world - like neroli and vanilla flavoured cotton candy... I'm salivating thinking about it this on my girlfriend
    I third this! Absouletly without a doubt a devine scent. I love, Love!
    Last edited by warlandsboy; 28th September 2009 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by veuve amiot View Post
    Creed Angélique Encens dries down to a fresh vanilla pod on me. Not cake batter vanilla, but that black wrinkled wet stick with a gorgeous slightly sour aroma. Yah, I spent too much time sniffinf vanilla pods.
    Oh yes! My friend's mother used to put vanilla pods in her sugar for tea and coffee, Angelique Encens does remind me of that. Gosh it is so beautiful.

I love Les Nereides Douceur de Vanille. Beautiful powdery vanilla, not sugary/syrupy at all, almost dry.
    beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

Basenotes Institution

I Second.... Angelique Encens by Creed and Un Bois Vanille By Sergie Lutens
    Tihota by Indult
    LaVanila Line
    Comptoir Suf Pacifique - Vanilla Extreme - aas good as the Tihota in my humble opinion.
    Dulcis In Fundo by Profumum
    Ava Luxe's Love's True Bluish Light
    Vanitas by Profumum
    Montale 's Vanille Absolu
    Dawn Spencer Horowitz- French Vanilla
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 28th September 2009 at 09:06 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by ineespenes View Post
    I love vanilla in scents Some of my favourites are: Shalimar, L by lolita Lempicka,Love's true bluish light,Trouble,JPG Classique and Bulgari Black.I also love Hypnotic Poison,but on me it's quite blended with no notes really dominating.
    Holy crap, I think we love the same vanillery things.....
    I am *trying* to love Shalimar, just need to get over the need-to-gag-furniture-polish thing!
    I own and love L, Classique and Hypnotic Poison, Black is on my wishlist...... I may have to look into trying somr True Blue Light and Trouble then?

Quote Originally Posted by goldiloks View Post
    Holy crap, I think we love the same vanillery things.....
    I am *trying* to love Shalimar, just need to get over the need-to-gag-furniture-polish thing!
    I own and love L, Classique and Hypnotic Poison, Black is on my wishlist...... I may have to look into trying somr True Blue Light and Trouble then?
    I defenitely think you should do that, based on your love for the other mentioned scents! just hope you get hold of some Love's true bluish light since Ava Luxe seems a bit on a off business lately...
    Last edited by ineespenes; 9th October 2009 at 09:38 PM.