Code of Conduct

Default Neat way to scent your home

I bought a Honeywell tabletop air purifier because of smoking neighbors across from my poorly-built apartment.

To spread some scent around the home I choose something I'm in the mood for, spray a bit on an an inch or two square, uncoated, porous piece of paper and place it after the filter (for obvious reasons) and before the fan mechanism.

Leave it on low while at work and you can come back to a lovely scented home when you return.

No mess of simmering potpourri, no danger of burning candles or incense (and no air-polluting carcinogens).

I have had a love for burning incense since my youth and oudh wood since I visited Qatar and Kuwait but the risks involved (and my wife's respiratory reactions) in breathing smoke has relegated the wood and incense to my dresser drawers and closets for now on.

Default Re: Neat way to scent your home

Hi, PorkFat, and welcome to Basenotes! Because of your interesting member name, I thought you were going to tell us to cook bacon. Bacon is a sure way to make the house smell nice, LOL!

But seriously, this sounds like a grand idea. And it doesn't sound like you have to use much fragrance, even!

I have an air purifier, will have to try that! but what really interested me is that you've been to Kuwait. My husband is heading there real soon. Is there some neat oud or something else he could get? Where do you get oud wood? I don't want to break his pocket book, but is there anything I should see if he could bring home for me?
    Eliza
    (seems like vintage L'origan was made just for me)

Smile Re: Neat way to scent your home

Quote Originally Posted by Eliza View Post
    I have an air purifier, will have to try that! but what really interested me is that you've been to Kuwait. My husband is heading there real soon. Is there some neat oud or something else he could get? Where do you get oud wood? I don't want to break his pocket book, but is there anything I should see if he could bring home for me?
    It's been almost 10 years since I was in Kuwait. Much has changed. If he was going to Qatar, I could recommend certain places to visit.

I can't read Arabic but I will take a picture of my collection so you can see them. Also, (I'm guessing he's military?) local vendors usually hold bazaars on bases and he can ask the merchants to bring certain items like oudh, incense, burners, perfumes and oils.

In Kuwait I was able to get bags of exotic spices, frankincense and myrrh and custom gold jewelery fairly cheap.

Qatar's main export before discovering oil was pearls. There are many shops there that specialize in just that, inexpensively.

This is some of the stuff I picked up. You see three types of burners and an oil warmer. My 2 favorite scents are the yellow labeled jar on the rear left and the red cover jar on the bottom.

The four-pack and small blue and white box are fairly cheap and ok-smelling but nothing great. The ziploc bag is frankincense resin.

None of my collection is very expensive, and in fact the more expensive stuff (in the decorative, hexagonal bottle) isn't something I'd buy again. It was like 70 or 80 dollars. Stuff that would cost a great deal over here because of importation fees and tariffs is comparatively cheaper over there.
    Last edited by PorkFat; 18th April 2009 at 05:14 AM.

Dear Pork fat- thanks for that informative response. I'm glad to know all of that so I can direct my husband on a perfume find. What a photo of your goods. Appreciate it. Do you put oud in your teapot cover like I Ambergris is rubbed on the teapot cover to melt in the pottery? Interesting. Thanks again. Eliza

I'm looking over those two of your favorite jars and I have to ask: what exactly is in the jars? Bark, resin..??
    Last edited by Eliza; 23rd April 2009 at 07:13 PM.
    Eliza
    (seems like vintage L'origan was made just for me)

Quote Originally Posted by Eliza View Post
    Dear Pork fat- thanks for that informative response. I'm glad to know all of that so I can direct my husband on a perfume find. What a photo of your goods. Appreciate it. Do you put oud in your teapot cover like I Ambergris is rubbed on the teapot cover to melt in the pottery? Interesting. Thanks again. Eliza

I'm looking over those two of your favorite jars and I have to ask: what exactly is in the jars? Bark, resin..??
    Some bottles have chunks of wood seeping oud oil. The others are little balls of ground up wood bits mixed with oud and sometimes other incense/perfume oils. The balls are cheaper but are more homogeneous and since more fragrance is mixed throughout you won't have to worry about removing the old burnt stuff as often. I actually like these better. Either way, you break up the pieces of wood into smaller bits and set them on a small piece of burning coke. Coke is coal that has burned in the absence of air, like charcoal (pure charcoal is nothing like Kingsford briquets which are mixed with sawdust) but charcoal is wood burned in the absence of air. Both processes produce nearly pure carbon which burns with little odor and no smoke. But just like anything burning, you don't want to use them in a poorly ventilated room.
    Last edited by PorkFat; 25th April 2009 at 02:07 AM.