Code of Conduct

Default Flawed Masterpieces

So this thread is the flipside of the other thread on "flawless" masterpieces http://community.basenotes.net/showt...=226832&page=1

So which fragrances to you are just brilliant, beautiful, works of genius, yet have some aspect that mar their perfection, and how so?

Lutens Fumerie Turque is that way for me - the opening and heart are maybe the best thing I've ever smelled in a bottle. However, the thick funky beeswaxy rose drydown is difficult to deal with, to such an extent that I tend to want to wash it off afterwards.

Gris Clair is heavenly, but the drydown is ugly ashy rocks unless I put most of it on my clothes. Same with Montale Aoud Flowers.

Chergui - total masterpiece, except that it tends to give me a headache.

Millesime Imperiale - sometimes it's *the* ultimate humid weather fragrance, radiant glowing melon and musk - other times it's anemic, sickly and synthetic.

YSL M7 - such a great idea, such a great composition, such a great fragrance - except that it'smade from a bunch of hazmat chemicals that smell like a toxic waste dump after an hour. Same thing for GIvenchy Xeryus Rouge.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Default Re: Flawed Masterpieces

Colonia Intensa is the opposite of "Apocalypse Now". Disappointing beginning, spectacular middle and ending.

Oh, I can answer this question easily.

Angeliques Sous la Plouis- How can a fragrance this beautiful be this weak.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Now this is a thread!!!

Yeah, I guess staying power is a huge gripe with alot of fragrances, but I was thinking more about other kinds of flaws since staying power is mostly a matter of the oils used - if you took a fragrance that was "perfect" except for longevity, and then changed it to make it last longer, you'd have to change the composition.

Speaking of staying power though, L'Artisan's Fou d'Absinthe - I *adore* this fragrance. I have to use half the bottle before I go out, and even then I only get two hours out of this Eau de Parfum which costs more than any other in the Artisan line.
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 18th April 2009 at 08:02 PM.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    Yeah, I guess staying power is a huge gripe with alot of fragrances, but I was thinking more about other kinds of flaws since staying power is mostly a matter of the oils used - if you took a fragrance that was "perfect" except for longevity, and then changed it to make it last longer, you'd have to change the composition.
    Ok, in that case, I'll think about the question a little more. But in this case, it truly is heart-wrenching that something so good, could be so light.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Green Irish Tweed.

The scent itself is not flawed, it's the logic behind the "popularity" and price. So many people claim they smell it everywhere, but who's to say they're not smelling something else? Isn't GIT one of the most knocked-off fragrances? It's a shame that so many people who smell counterfeit versions only smell Cool Water (if that.) And how many people do you know really, truly want to pay full price for a Creed, especially if they're one-fragrance kind of people?

Is the sillage even that great? I can't say I've ever smelled GIT on anybody else. Cool Water, now, that's what I've smelled (and have worn myself for years, too.)

In a perfect world, a fresh bottle of GIT wouldn't cost an arm an a leg and would be authentic every time.

I really like this topic.. And there´s lot to be learn for me. I´ve been sampling for a while now, and there are soo many "talents" but they lack the final touch.. Disliking the topnotes.. or the base just sucks.. I should dig into my archive and put some names on here!
    unico grande amore.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Oh, I can answer this question easily.

Angeliques Sous la Plouis- How can a fragrance this beautiful be this weak.
    I do not think it is really a masterpiece, but I agree.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Blog Entries

Maitre Parfumeur Santal Noble - just a bit more woodsy in the basenotes, and it would be flawless
    Amouage Reflection - I'd have preferred it to have more jasmine
    Chanel Antaeus - bit less powder/floral and more leathery (But wait...thats how it used to be!)
    Caron Yatagan - bit more fuller/intense opening and more leathery/dirty (But wait...thats how it used to be!)
    Hermes Bel Ami - a bit less on the spices, and more leathery/dirty (But wait....thats how it used to be!)
    Creed Fleurs de The Rose Bulgarie - could have done with a bit more oomph....higher concentration of oils, perhaps?
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

DIOR HOMME! longevity....the composition is perfect. the smell is addicting. it just dosent last more then a couple hours with like 6 squirts on.....the EDP intense lasts longer but the EDT is perfectly blended.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=223916

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by Mudassir View Post
    Maitre Parfumeur Santal Noble - just a bit more woodsy in the basenotes, and it would be flawless
    Amouage Reflection - I'd have preferred it to have more jasmine
    Chanel Antaeus - bit less powder/floral and more leathery (But wait...thats how it used to be!)
    Caron Yatagan - bit more fuller/intense opening and more leathery/dirty (But wait...thats how it used to be!)
    Hermes Bel Ami - a bit less on the spices, and more leathery/dirty (But wait....thats how it used to be!)
    Creed Fleurs de The Rose Bulgarie - could have done with a bit more oomph....higher concentration of oils, perhaps?
    Well said.....

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    Lutens Fumerie Turque is that way for me - the opening and heart are maybe the best thing I've ever smelled in a bottle. However, the thick funky beeswaxy rose drydown is difficult to deal with, to such an extent that I tend to want to wash it off afterwards.

Gris Clair is heavenly, but the drydown is ugly ashy rocks unless I put most of it on my clothes. Same with Montale Aoud Flowers.

Chergui - total masterpiece, except that it tends to give me a headache.
    Fumerie Turque just doesn't last on me. After a couple of hours, I can hardly detect it. I don't regret selling off my bottle.

Gris Clair is actually flawless if you perceive it strictly as a summer scent. Along with VE, these are the only two in my wardrobe that I wear exclusively on warmer days.

Chergui - no headaches, thankfully.

A personal one that springs to mind is Divine's L'Homme Sage - too soft and in need of an edge or quirk. It could have been one of my all-time favourites if it had been tweaked a bit.

Some fragrances I like that come to mind...

Midnight Violet - a slight sour note in the base.

Nostalgia - amazingly petrochemical but thereby flawed when it comes to wearability.

CB Tea/Rose - THE vanishing act fragrance. Lasts a minute at most. Gorgeous while it's there though.

Oxford & Cambridge - pushes the medicinal envelope too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post

Nostalgia - amazingly petrochemical but thereby flawed when it comes to wearability.
    I 've heard this one before. strangely on me it's flawless. Deep leather, treated leather admitedly, with the softest patchouli drydown, almost identical to the drydown of Boreo 1834

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Fumerie Turque just doesn't last on me. After a couple of hours, I can hardly detect it. I don't regret selling off my bottle.
    That's funny, Trebor. Fumerie Turque makes my flawed masterpiece list but for more or less the opposite reason. Especially in hot weather it lasts and lasts and lasts...which wouldn't be bad, except that by the end of the drydown it smells like a dirty ashtray.

I don't really think along these lines, but I can understand how someone might really like a frag for a short time, but then find that it either just lies there or becomes nauseating. I found this to be the case with Costume National's 21.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 19th April 2009 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PhinClio View Post
    That's funny, Trebor. Fumerie Turque makes my flawed masterpiece list but for more or less the opposite reason. Especially in hot weather it lasts and lasts and lasts...which wouldn't be bad, except that by the end of the drydown it smells like a dirty ashtray.
    Yeah, skin chemistry can be a such pain...

From my experience, weather doesn't make much of a difference on longevity - the difference in sillage and the way the notes perform are more noticeable, for me.