Code of Conduct

Default A challenge for the ladies

*UPDATE EDIT* I posted the update towards the bottom, but I'll post it right here so you don't have to scroll down:

Well, out of several I've let the lady sample, you know which ones she settled on? So far it's been Eau de Star I picked up on a lark from TJ Maxx and Virgin Island Water.

There's still several more I'd like to show her but her allergies kick in on many scents and we can't progress without it being torture for her.
    *EDIT*

I'm looking for something for my lady's birthday. I've never really been into fragrances until recently. And she's still isn't.

I've been picking up a collection for myself and have amassed a decent 30 bottle collection in the past couple of months. It's simple because with many male scents I don't have to worry about floral notes.

This is where the challenge comes in. We both hate floral notes in general and vanilla notes when they are the strongest in a frag. This is extremely frustrating when trying to find feminine scents. They should be light and hopefully last at least 4 hours or more.

I got on the right foot with these limitations at the Perfumed Court when a wonderful lady from there helped me by suggesting some frags to try.

Light blue smells like a nice fruity shampoo. Not sure why it's so popular as a perfume. Angel is great, but way too strong. Bulgari Black would be nice but the smoky vanilla is nauseating. Black Orchid is a strong buy possibility.

My lady loves grapefruit so Jo Malone Grapefruit seemed an obvious choice but after that initial grapefruit burst, it turns into a woody, spicy masculine scent.

Parfumerie Generale Bois Blond seems great but trying to find it anywhere other than Luckyscent seems to be a challenge. It's not very feminine and the price is a bit much for an ordinary scent.

Good luck trying to find Susanne Lang Anjou Pear and Keiko Mecheri Peau de Peche.

Ava Luxe is nice, but it's just grapefruit or just coconut.

She loves coconut so Virgin Island Water is on our list. I tried it alone a while back and it's pretty much the only post-80s Creed that I enjoy. The verbena in Bath and Body Works Coconut Lime Verbena ruins that fragrance for her.

I just ordered some samples of Tocca frags. We have high hopes for Brigitte being a ginger masterpiece.

She likes citrus (except strong lemon), spice, green, tobacco, musk, fruits, berries, almost anything but floral and vanilla.

If you could, please just blurt out whatever comes to mind and I'll try to get some samples for us to try out. I'd like to stay out of the niche boutique frags so I can actually walk into a Dillards or any department store and try it out first.

Thank you so much.
    Last edited by PorkFat; 1st September 2009 at 01:04 AM.

Default Re: A challenge for the ladies

Chanel Chance! Nothing flowery about it..It's a nice, zingy, multi-faceted citrus with a hint of patchouli there to deepen it. Lots of other folks are going to say Coco Mademoiselle, which I haven't tried, but understand it has similar properties. Hey, try them both!

And if Angel is too strong, maybe try Lolita Lempicka original. It's not as foody-gourmand, but the anise and licorice give it a similar, although warmer, effect. It is made softer by the addition of greens. The LL bottle is freakin' pretty, too!

Last edited by Sunnyfunny; 19th April 2009 at 12:14 AM. Reason: adding a picture

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyfunny View Post
    Chanel Chance! Nothing flowery about it..It's a nice, zingy, multi-faceted citrus with a hint of patchouli there to deepen it. Lots of other folks are going to say Coco Mademoiselle, which I haven't tried, but understand it has similar properties. Hey, try them both!

And if Angel is too strong, maybe try Lolita Lempicka original. It's not as foody-gourmand, but the anise and licorice give it a similar, although warmer, effect. It is made softer by the addition of greens. The LL bottle is freakin' pretty, too!

Coco Mademoiselle is on our list. I tried it alone and I think she'll like it and a sample is on it's way. I tried "L" and it's similar vanilla to Bulgari Black was a turn off. So I'm going to get a sample of the original Lempicka. I like au Masculin so I"ll give it a shot. Thanks for that.

Chance is something I'm not familiar with but the reviews seem to say it's pretty strong and the notes don't mention citrus. Is Chance Eau Fraîche a good lighter alternative? BN says this one has citron.

Chance smells very fresh and citrusy to me and my husband. He actually bought it for me, and the citrus aspect was what drew him to it. I find it a little bit woodsy, too. I forgot about Eau Fraiche! Definitely try that one! It's a lighter, greener Chance.

By the by-- I don't know if you read all the reviews on Chance (mine included) but I have to interject here that I grew to love No. 5 and I still like Chance. Disclaimer done, now, hee.

I suggest Daim Blond by Serge Lutens. Read the reviews on here if you'd like a clear idea of what people think about it. It's soft, subtle, beautifully done suede/hint of apricot that oozes class. It makes me think of a beautiful woman in a dress suit. Another killer fragrance is Tabac Blond by Caron. Search ebay, I think you'll both agree these are worth the wait.

Feminite du Bois, a Christopher Sheldrake masterpiece for Shiseido - now just newly released under the Serge Lutens label - has been a widely popular fragrance among lots of basenotes' gals. I would definitely take a chance on it!

A few of my non-vanilla, non-floral favorites:

Diptyque Eau Lente (opoponax is the prominent note)
    Ava Luxe Opoponax Intense
    Les Nereides Impérial Opoponax

A few amber suggestions:
    Estee Lauder Amber Ylang-Ylang
    Armani Prive Ambre Soie

Some other designer fragrances:
    Gucci by Gucci (in a dark brown bottle) - fruity and woody to the best of my recollection; although some florals are listed as notes, I did not think they were prominent
    Prada for Women
    John Varvatos for Women -- that one was very fruity and plummy; your wife may like it
    Estee Lauder Sensuous -- creamy/woody (not sure about vanilla)
    Dior Hypnotic Poison -- almond oriental (again, not sure about vanilla)

I also sampled many woody/oriental scents from Ava Luxe and I liked most: Chaos, Tao, Incense Tibet, Teakwood, etc. She has a section on her web site with "Wood/Resin" group of fragrances -- check it out!
    Last edited by kess; 19th April 2009 at 02:34 AM.

Since Virgin Island Water is out, I think MPG Bahiana might be a good alternative. Or Estee Lauder Bronze Goddess.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    Since Virgin Island Water is out, I think MPG Bahiana might be a good alternative. Or Estee Lauder Bronze Goddess.
    VIW isn't out! It's very much on our list of things to try! But I'm definitely getting a sample first as I'm not buying a $150 bottle for her to end up not enjoying it. But I could always put it in my collection... I'll keep an eye out for your other recommendations!

Wink Re: A challenge for the ladies

yuzu rouge by 01639 and eau de sisley #2, both beautiful. ajne does a beautiful all natural pure perfume called margaux .bvlgari omnia is nice and i am a big fan of bvlgari balck, the new feminite de bois is such a poor version of the original its frightening, so for the money, i would do bois de fruits or douce amere . if she likes gourmand, than i recommend molinard isles d'or. malles leau dhiver is gorgeous too

I would stay away from Chanel , only because some women do not love aldehydes.

good luck....
    "If only there could be an invention that bottled up a memory, like scent. And it never faded, and it never got stale. And then, when one wanted it, the bottle could be uncorked, and it would be like living the moment all over again."
    — Daphne du Maurier

Fragrances that came to mind were Un Jardin Sur le Nil, Passage D'Enfer, Espionage from Ayala. I agree with the person who posted Feminite du Bois-my personal fave. You can find it on ebay for a reasonable price. Good luck and Happy Birthday to your wife!

Prada Infusion d'Iris seems to be more citrusy than floral and it is nicely transparent. I smelled EL Tuscany Per Donna on someone the other day and loved it. On me the scent is a bit too much, but perhaps, since Lauder is so easy to find, you could sniff that one? Also EL Knowing, which I adore. Dioressence is another non-flowery feeling, non-vanilla scent that is lovely. Maybe that one?

Ok, so no flowers, no vanilla, not too strong. She sounds like me.
    May I ask which Ava Luxes you've tried? I think there is much more to her line than coconut or grapefruit when you avoid the gourmands - which don't sit right with me at all either.

For the coconut angle, don't forget to sample some fig scents. Some are very heavily coconutty. L'Artisan Premier Figuier is very much so, to my nose.

How about sweetish woods?
    Diptyque Tam Dao (although the top notes can be challenging)
    Ava Luxe No. 23 (very much like Tam Dao but slightly more feminine)
    Feminité du Bois
    SL Bois Violette
    KM Patchoulissime

Or something spicy-ambery?
    Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe (amber, booze)
    Idole de Lubin
    Costume National 21 (milk and spices, though she may think this too "masculine")
    L'Artisan Safran Troublant (lots of saffron and faint rose, absolutely gorgeous)

And re: flowers, I started out saying I don't like any floral perfume either. Thing is, some very commonly used dominant florals I don''t care for much: rose, geranium, jasmine, tuberose. Some others, though, turn out to be interesting. Iris/Orris in particular doesn't "read" as a flower to my nose. I've come to appreciate heliotrope. I'm sure there are more examples, but I can't think of any now.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

I'd test Calyx by Prescriptives.

Fruity, but not sweet, and doesn't smell like shampoo.
    It is a favorite of mine.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

I agree with trying Chanel Chance, and want to suggest Beige, too, as its feminine, and not over the top floral...very classy, IMHO. It may not be easy to find, tho ( well it isn't here in OZ...).
    Last edited by The Fragrant Zebra; 19th April 2009 at 05:18 PM. Reason: typo

My first list is built and I'll be going on a scent journey today:
    *Fresh
    Bergamot Citrus
    Pomegranate Anise
    Citron de Vigne
    Hesperides
    *Guerlain
    Aqua Allegoria Herba Fresca
    *Demeter
    *Carol's Daughter
    Jamaican Punch
    The Big Kahuna
    *Ralph Lauren
    HOT
    Wild
    *Chanel
    Chance
    Coco Mademoiselle
    Chance Eau Fraîche
    *Lolita Lempicka
    Signature
    Midnight
    *Caron
    Tabac Blond
    *Serge Lutens
    Daim Blond
    Feminite du Bois
    *Diptyque Eau Lente
    *Ava Luxe Opoponax Intense
    *Les Nereides Impérial Opoponax
    *Estee Lauder
    Amber Ylan ylang
    Bronze Goddess
    *Prada for Women
    *John Varvatos for women
    *Maître Parfumeur et Gantier Bahiana
    *Hermes Un Jardin Sur le Nil

I'll create list number 2 next weekend.

I'd second Prada Infusion d'Iris and Un Jardin Sur le Nil and would further recommend
    - Bulgari Omnia Crystalline (nice citrus and woods)
    - Dior Addict Shine (perhaps an unpopular recommendation as I never seen it mentioned here. Besides it seems to be marketed towards the younger crowd. But it has lots of grapefruit in it, so your wife might like it)

Also if you like Angel but find it too heavy, you might want to try Angel Innocent. It has a similar feel to it but it's lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by potiron View Post
    I'd second Prada Infusion d'Iris and Un Jardin Sur le Nil and would further recommend
    - Bulgari Omnia Crystalline (nice citrus and woods)
    - Dior Addict Shine (perhaps an unpopular recommendation as I never seen it mentioned here. Besides it seems to be marketed towards the younger crowd. But it has lots of grapefruit in it, so your wife might like it)

Also if you like Angel but find it too heavy, you might want to try Angel Innocent. It has a similar feel to it but it's lighter.
    Actually bought all 4 Omnias and I'm reselling them. Something in them is very suffocating and cloying. Sticks in your nostrils and throat and you smell them there after you pull your nose away from the source. A few Bulgaris do this, most notably the pour homme and pour homme extreme. Aqua and Marine don't and neither does Black or BLV so I'm guessing something's different between these. Indoles, perhaps? I notice jasmine fragrance is really off putting to us but real jasmine like what's in tea is not.
    Last edited by PorkFat; 19th April 2009 at 04:50 PM.

Porkfat, I have a rec which might be slightly annoying because I don't think it's widely available (Luckyscent has it, though, and it's not expensive): Satellite Ipanema. This frag, to me (and it's one of my favourites) is a better, more complex version of Virgin Island Water. It's soft and well blended. Listed notes are: ylang-ylang, orange, grapefruit, freesia, sandalwood, coconut, tonka bean, white flowers, vanilla, sea accord, and patchouli. The coconut is the stand out note for me in the composition but unlike VIW (on me) the others come out, too, and the coconut is not overwhelming or cloying. Given your wife's preferences I would strongly recommend trying this one. It's gorgeous.

I also want to third the Jardin Sur le Nil rec as well. And throw in Byredo Pulp.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Looks like I'll have to order samples online and make a drive to Denver as my small-town Dillards (the only place that carries high-end fragrances) didn't have a whole lot from my list.

I armed myself with plastic snack bags and a pen to label and separate everything out.

Bronze Goddess is a nice mild tan lotion scent. Doesn't seem to last at all, even in a zip loc bag. I'll have her try it on skin but this one is probably going to be a no go unless it lasts longer on skin.

Chance is nice but has a sharp astringent note. No go.

The fresh Chance takes that harshness away and I think is much better. This has moved up to my "maybe buy" list.

Clinique Happy for women isn't good. Smells cheap and artificial. Men's version is much better and in my opinion is really unisex. I really like the men's version and will probably get my girl to try it.
    Last edited by PorkFat; 1st September 2009 at 01:07 AM.

The first thing I thought of is Jo Malone's Sweet Lime & Cedar. It has just a touch of floral, but the citrus, tamarind, coconut, and cedar predominate. I had a friend who doesn't like florals try it, and she really liked it.

I also agree with the recommendation of Premier Figuier as being coconut heavy. Also Hermes Un Jardin en Mediterranee--on me, I get virtually no florals, just a honeyed fig and cedar.

Calyx is also a good suggestion, and more easily attainable than some of the others.

Good luck!
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

PorkFat, which concentration of Bronze Goddess did you try? I have the Eau Fraiche Skin Scent (probably an EDT or maybe a bit lighter). It is not the oil based one. On me, a couple sprays to each wrist lasts all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    PorkFat, which concentration of Bronze Goddess did you try? I have the Eau Fraiche Skin Scent (probably an EDT or maybe a bit lighter). It is not the oil based one. On me, a couple sprays to each wrist lasts all day.
    Is Eau Fraiche Skin Scent a flanker? I believe I just tried the original EDT. Is there an EDP? The sales lady also had an oil on the display. I keep going back and forth on this one.

I've got 2 more weeks and a ton of samples (95% of the recommendations) coming in from Scent Monkey and Perfumd Court. I'm going to overload my senses and I'm probably spending way more time and thought on this than most sane men would haha.

Thank you to all involved.
    Last edited by PorkFat; 20th April 2009 at 04:20 AM.

Eau Fraiche Skin Scent is the concentration, which is about EDT level, maybe a tad lighter. There is no EDP, but I find that more sprays have a cumulative effect, so I don't think an EDP is really necessary.
    Last edited by Asha; 20th April 2009 at 12:38 AM.

I would just add a rec for Miss Dior Cherie because it's one of the few department store scents I really like and it is more fruity than floral -- and I don't think it's been mentioned yet.

It also sounds like she could find something to love with Jo Malone or L'Artisan, although they are more limited distribution.

Well, out of several I've let the lady sample, you know which ones she settled on? So far it's been Eau de Star I picked up on a lark from TJ Maxx and Virgin Island Water.

There's still several more I'd like to show her but her allergies kick in on many scents and we can't progress without it being torture for her.

Chiming in my recs:
    Guerlain AA Pamplelune - probably the best grapefruit there is.
    Chanel's Cristalle also has some citrus notes.
    Seconding the Feminite' du Bois and SL Bois de Violette. Awesomely spectacular and addictive.
    You both may like Idole de Lubin. I have a bottle and share it with with my hubby. Soft and beautful saffron.
    Calyx is also very affordable and a first class fragrance.
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~