Code of Conduct

Default Any men wearing AdP Iris Nobile?

I tried AdP Iris Nobile for the first time today and I really loved it. I didn't think I was into iris until I tried this. I'm thinking of buying it, but it's classified as a female fragrance. I know you should wear if you like it, but will I be the only man wearing Iris Nobile? Will I get strange looks/comments from non-basenoters? I don't know why it's classified as a female fragrance in the first place, I've come across male fragrances being more feminine than Iris Nobile. Any thoughts?

Default Re: Any men wearing AdP Iris Nobile?

I bought this recently and really liked it. It does have the traits of a female fragrance but that does not bother me. I wear anything and everything that I like and the classification of a scent is something that does not really affect my decision. Just to give you an example, I even wear Tom Ford Black Orchid Voile de fleur. This is a floral that most definitely suits women more but I like wearing it, albeit in small doses.

I'd say the same to you. If you like it, just wear it.

I've got a small decant that I've worn from half a dozen times, and had never noticed that it's marketed as a feminine. Seems perfectly unisex to me. The topnotes are amazing, the rest of the ride less so, but so it goes. Great warm weather iris, in my opinion.

This is a classic example of a fragrance that should have been officially designated as unisex. Nobile is a beautifully balanced scent, and I have always worn it with confidence.

Iris Nobile is really more about gardenia than iris, Irbloss...so keep this in mind if you go to try other iris fragrances. They will have a very different character!

I find it to be a lovely fragrance, great for warm weather (I have the EDT). In a way, it has a feel about it that is very much like a traditional cologne. It is as if they took out the neroli and put in some gardenia, and started the fragrance with a fleeting iris instead of citrus.

I completely love Iris Nobile and bought a bottle after sampling first from the Perfumed Court. Very much a clean and comfort scent. My g/f said it smelled like "old lady perfume". Ohh well. Colonia Intensa is next on the list from AdP
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

Off-Scenter

I don't wear it, but I would without embarrassment. It seems relatively gender-neutral to me. (Granted, I wear stuff that many men wouldn't be caught dead wearing in public. And yes, I'm a straight, over-the-hill family man.)

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    Iris Nobile is really more about gardenia than iris, Irbloss...so keep this in mind if you go to try other iris fragrances.
    Second that. The gardenia/white tropical flower puts it into the realm of unwearability for me, although I appreciate it as a well-constructed fragrance in its own right. But as gupts said, if you like it, wear it.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

I have a sample of it and I wouldn't classify it as feminine. It 's great. It 's just that I have all the iris that i need in my wardrobe.

Basenotes Institution

I don't think of it as feminine and unlike a few Basenoters above, to me, IN does smell like iris. I liked it, but not more than some other iris scents I own.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I really love iris in a perfume more than any the other florals. Will definitely give this a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    Iris Nobile is really more about gardenia than iris, Irbloss...so keep this in mind if you go to try other iris fragrances. They will have a very different character!
    @ irrbloss: I don't think it is more about Gardenia at all. What makes it different : this iris smells like the lovely iris flower does (due in four to six weeks from now, often the blue Van Gogh type of iris). I know of no other iris perfume that does not smell primarily of iris root. I am a gardener, trust me.

I haven't been able to convince myself (yet) that I will be comfortable really wearing this wonderful perfume. Maybe Iris Poudre will be the bridge. It's easier, because I don't think others will notice IP much on another person walking by. It has a more powdery, less floral character and is very, very subtle.
    Last edited by narcus; 21st April 2009 at 01:59 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I think it's really a personal thing: Iris Nobile does smell like iris flower but it's dressed with loads of violets and a bunch of white florals that to my nose make it definitely sweet and more feminine than masculine.
    As highlighted from Narcus, maybe Iris Poudre is the last step I can take towards a floral iris: there you have violets as well but the base is greener, drier, woodier and more masculine.
    Even the more buttery Hiris that's targeted for women as well smells definitely more masculine than Iris Nobile to my nose.