Code of Conduct

Default Geoffrey Beene - Grey Flannel Vs Bowling Green

Since coming to basenotes soem months ago, I have ffound it fascinating and hugely informative. Quite a few blind buys have been made on the basis of reviews herein - Antateus, Van Cleef & Arpels, Yatagan to name a few.

With recessonary times now upon us I am looking at cheaper frags to further my interest. Geoffrey Beene's Grey Flannel initially came to mind after Luca Turin's positive review. Hoever I note that many seem to regard Bowling Green as being better. Ultimately, I am looking for a decent (cheap!) green fragrance - which of these might be better can anyone advise?

Default Re: Geoffrey Beene - Grey Flannel Vs Bowling Green

I haven't tried BG, but from the reviews I would buy it instead of GF, which I found to be too sharp at first and too simple in the drydown. A decent slightly soapy green is Chaleur d'Animale for men (also cheap). A somewhat green incense cheapo is One Man Show.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 20th April 2009 at 01:06 AM.

I was in the same boat ((looking for something cheap to add to my wardrobe), so i blind bought both at the same time. And to be honest it wasn't a mistake but i wish i didn't. Now back on topic if i had to pick one it would be BG....While GF is the better scent i just cant find an occassion to wear it.

Next to the bottle of Van Winkle Special Reserve

Grey Flannel's violet (violent?) sharpness goes straight through the nose to penetrate the brain. It lasts forever and it's sillage can fumigate a standard size airplane hanger.

Bowling Green starts off with a brisk, grassy gin and tonic, then slowly mellows into a smooth amber and cardamon with the lingering hint of the opening. I would like it better if the opening lasted longer, but it is still a very good scent.

Grey Flannel is probably the kind of scent that you either love or hate. I don't see many people hating Bowling Green, but I would understand if people went, "meh."

If you're buying one blind, go with Bowling Green.
    Marge: Do you want your son to become Chief Justice of the Supreme Court or a sleazy male stripper?
    Homer: Can't he be both, like the late Earl Warren?

simply
    Bowling Green is a green version of Drakkar Noir
    If you own drakkar then you probably wont be surprised by the smell of GB
    I tried GF way back when and I remember not liking it so I was never interested in it
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Basenotes Institution

I have owned both at different times in my life.

Grey Flannel is not a green scent, it's a fougere (and a strong one at that). It's a great scent but not one I would recommend blind buying.

Bowling Green is a green scent. It's also great and easier to recommend as a blind buy.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Sur la Plage

I personally prefer Grey Flannel. But if you are looking for a green scent, go with Bowling Green.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

None of them are right choices for blind buys, IMHO. Both reflect the respective fragrance style in fashion at the times they were designed.

GF was designed in the mid 1970's, it still is a "power bomb", strong as strong can be, with amazing sillage and longevity, specially good for violet lovers. Def not for the faint of heart.

BG, launched in 1986, is a spicy / hesperidic power bomb, still not as strong as the other one. I tried last week and I had the feeling it was a 1980's version of gentlemanly scents designed in the 1960's... spices and citric notes "on steroids".

I prefered GF - I could not stop feeling that BG was intended as a contemporary version of classics like Eau Sauvage, but the proposal did not feel natural, rather pushy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    I could not stop feeling that BG was intended as a contemporary version of classics like Eau Sauvage, but the proposal did not feel natural, rather pushy.
    That is an excellent simile. Men's fragrances of the 1960s were dry, green, and citric, like a good cocktail. Bowling Green is something in the vein of Eau Sauvage or Guerlain's Vetiver. I would argue that Bowling Green is pleasant and competently done, although I would concede that it is not the classic that Eau Sauvage and Vetiver are. However, I got a huge bottle for US$5 and it makes me happy every time I wear it. Perfect for humid Summer days.

Quote Originally Posted by Hasupk@gmail.com View Post
    Bowling Green is a green version of Drakkar Noir
    I see no similarity.

Quote Originally Posted by dpak View Post
    Grey Flannel's violet (violent?) sharpness goes straight through the nose to penetrate the brain. It lasts forever and it's sillage can fumigate a standard size airplane hanger.
    Absolutely -- but in a good way! I do agree that Bowling Green would please a wider audience than Grey Flannel, though.

[QUOTE=

I see no similarity.

.[/QUOTE]

have you tried them both side by side
    the similarity is pretty striking
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

I always have a soft spot for Grey Flannel. This one is an essential in any serious perfumista's wardrobe. But still, do not blind buy.

Both!

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Just bought what will be my 4th bottle since 1984. On the other hand i have always balked at buying a bottle of Bowling Green. BG is a very nice fragrance, but for me its GF.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Grey Flannel is my favorite between the two, but like others have said, it's not a good blind buy.