Code of Conduct

Default Scent for a seminarian

Okay, I'm just throwing a bone out here for the heck of it and poops and giggles.

As some of you know I'm Eastern Orthodox and I just got accepted to seminary with the focus on being ordained a priest. Despite the fact I will probably go to Hell for my vanity and my love of scents, I was curious - if you had to choose a scent for a Eastern Orthodox seminarian, what would it be? (I was thinking something with rose or frankincense).

Happy Holy Saturday (to our Eastern Orthodox basenoters as well as those in Eastern Europe).
    Last edited by Texican; 18th April 2009 at 03:18 AM.
    "If a perfume stinks, it's a disaster when she turns off the light." - Jean-Paul Guerlain

Default Re: Scent for a seminarian

CdG Zagorsk.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    CdG Zagorsk.
    Arrgh. Scooped. Yes, that is defined as a classic, Russian Orthodox scent. Meant to evoke the sacred pilgrimage site of Zagorsk.
    A Greek Orthodox scent? A Mediterranean scent. How about Jardin de Kerylos?

Side question: Any scent prohibitions on fast days? Or during Lent?
    PS -- good wishes and congratulations on your acceptance to seminary.
    Last edited by odysseusm; 18th April 2009 at 04:23 AM.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

C&S No.88 has rose and frankincense. Congrats, by the way. Where will you be studying?

I say Etro's Messe di Minuit. Congratulations from me too.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

Gucci Pour Homme (2003) smells like church to me. In a way making me feel comforted and relaxed everytime i wear it.

Congrats! And a bottle of Eau des Baux by L'Occitane with its lovely mix of incense of spice should make you very popular there.

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Arrgh. Scooped. Yes, that is defined as a classic, Russian Orthodox scent. Meant to evoke the sacred pilgrimage site of Zagorsk.
    A Greek Orthodox scent? A Mediterranean scent. How about Jardin de Kerylos?

Side question: Any scent prohibitions on fast days? Or during Lent?
    PS -- good wishes and congratulations on your acceptance to seminary.
    Thanks to everyone who offered their well-wishes and congratulations!

I don't think there are any scent prohibitions. Yesterday was Holy Friday, and traditionally Eastern Orthodox Christians fast through most of this day and wear black when the attend the Lamentations Matins (which is Christ's funeral). I wore black and tried to find the most minimalist scent I could find in my wardrobe - Eau Imperiale by Guerlain.

For Pascha I think I'll wear my little decant of Guerlain's Heritage. It just smells boozy and festive, which are two things I associate with Easter.

You know how much I love my Creeds. Millesime Imperial is lovely, but it doesn't remind me of the Mediterranean at all. Sipping champagne on the beach, yes. Neroli and light eauxs tend to do that for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    C&S No.88 has rose and frankincense. Congrats, by the way. Where will you be studying?
    I was also thinking of Black Aoud by Montale, since my parish already has many Christian Arabs. I'll be studying at Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of Theology in Brookline, MA.
    Last edited by Texican; 18th April 2009 at 06:50 AM.
    "If a perfume stinks, it's a disaster when she turns off the light." - Jean-Paul Guerlain

Colonia Intensa when it dries down. Something in there reminds me of the incense burning in a Greek Orthodox church.
    Last edited by adonis; 18th April 2009 at 07:06 AM.

Kalo Pasxa Texican, and congratulations.

My mind went to Diptyque's Eau Lente... full of glorious resinous Opoponax.

Cacharel PH
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Kalo Pasxa Texican, and congratulations.

My mind went to Diptyque's Eau Lente... full of glorious resinous Opoponax.
    +1 here wishing all the orthodox "Kalo Pascha" and endorsing Eau Lente. I'd also recommend cdg 2man as a beautiful incense or my SotD Paestum Rose as a green fruity rose.

Cool Re: Scent for a seminarian

Congratulations. And happy Pascha right back at ya, Texican.

Now let's see--some excellent suggestions for a vain and presumably well groomed priest already given.

I'll add:

Aramis 900 --I don't care for it myself, but it is very well done. Solemn rose scent, unsweetened gravitas.

Himalaya--- Because it's like tap dancing in heaven.

Miracle Homme---Sorry, couldn't resist. Say, Holy Water by Profumo ain't bad, either, though a bit linear.

Santal Noble----Very " Western " Not for Zen masters. But knights and EO priests will rock! Regal.

Domenico Caraceni 1913---Back to a macho rose, with a touch of incense.

Hamman Bouquet---Dandy's rose, vintage 1872. A must try by Penhaligon's

Baie de Genièvre ----Because it smells great.

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Certainly NOT Passage d'Enfer!!!
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Certainly NOT Passage d'Enfer!!!
    I wonder how Angelique Encens holds up?

To be honest, I probably should go for something light. After services I always smell of smoke and incense on my clothes, beard, and hair (my wife calls me "incense head.").

Quote Originally Posted by Texican View Post
    Okay, I'm just throwing a bone out here for the heck of it and poops and giggles.

As some of you know I'm Eastern Orthodox and I just got accepted to seminary with the focus on being ordained a priest. Despite the fact I will probably go to Hell for my vanity and my love of scents, I was curious - if you had to choose a scent for a Eastern Orthodox seminarian, what would it be? (I was thinking something with rose or frankincense).

Happy Holy Saturday (to our Eastern Orthodox basenoters as well as those in Eastern Europe).

Congratulations for that nice new! God bless in your new challenge, one of the biggest for a human being.

My best wishes

From your armenian friend,

Ahhhhh....I think for a scent you need something discret and good...but not with too much sillage. Check Gucci Pour Homme.
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was in a religious order myself. I was there for three years and it was there that I developed this little hobby of ours. My father would send me a little money at Christmas and I would always buy fragrances. My first was Guerlain Vetiver, the next Christmas I got Ungaro III. I am on a break from my religious duties & I am discerning whether to go back to community life. But since I have been out, I have aquired several more fragrances.

Isnt' it obvious - Straight to Heaven!