Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Mimosa-help please!

Hello fellow perfume pervs!

Really interesting to hear opinions on mimosa scents. I'd like to know what the yves rocher mimosa edt is like - I hear that their gardenia was, & their lilac is, good. I tried the rose & was dissapointed (strawberry jam); but a lot of people like it. It is so great to find cheap & cheerful stuff that hits a spot.

L'occitane do a mimosa, but don't bother with that - it's nothing like.

YSL Cinema has a mimosa dimension to my nose, but that is only a part.

Molinard do a mimosa:

http://www.molinard.com/produit_deta...rticles_id=614

I wonder what that is like?

Santa Maria Novella do one; I LOVE LOVE LOVE some of their colognes. That would be a great one to try. Anyone tried it?

Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgie View Post
    I am in love with the mimosa that grows in the south of France (and elsewhere, of course): the yellow puffy buds growing on branches, sold in abundance all over France once they are in bloom (usually beginning in February).

1) The mimosa I am talking about is called acacia farnesiana (not to be confused with acacia) , also called "cassie" (not to be confused with cassis or cassia) in French [This could be the first error! Maybe it is another variety I am thinking of?]
    I grew up in Athens and I still remember the flowering mimosa trees lining small side streets in Kallithea, a fragrance I always associated with the tree and not the flower because it didn't smell flowery or sweet to me.

I checked the 2nd volume of the Ferminich olfactory kits I recently received.
    One of the blossoms is Mimosa, listed as natural raw material. But the species the booklet refers to is Acacia decurrens. All the fragrances the booklet mentions (led by Pur Desir Mimosa of Yves Rocher, 2005) basenoters have already mentioned.

The booklet, with its preface by Jacques Cavallier, lists the descriptors of Mimosa as:
    Floral - fresh - powdery - honeyed. Moreover it says.."smells like honey, thanks to its sweet, creamy tonalities".

My nose and memory agree with the 'fresh' but not the rest. I get the 'fresh' from the small bottle but not the honey.

Quote Originally Posted by jdemetre View Post
    I grew up in Athens and I still remember the flowering mimosa trees lining small side streets in Kallithea, a fragrance I always associated with the tree and not the flower because it didn't smell flowery or sweet to me.

I checked the 2nd volume of the Ferminich olfactory kits I recently received.
    One of the blossoms is Mimosa, listed as natural raw material. But the species the booklet refers to is Acacia decurrens. All the fragrances the booklet mentions (led by Pur Desir Mimosa of Yves Rocher, 2005) basenoters have already mentioned.

The booklet, with its preface by Jacques Cavallier, lists the descriptors of Mimosa as:
    Floral - fresh - powdery - honeyed. Moreover it says.."smells like honey, thanks to its sweet, creamy tonalities".

My nose and memory agree with the 'fresh' but not the rest. I get the 'fresh' from the small bottle but not the honey.
    It could be that I have the wrong info on acacia farnesiana vs acacia decurrens.

I'm not sure which of those I was smelling "in person" when I lived in the south of France.
    But I agree, whichever it was, it was not sweet, not powdery, not particularly floral, and also not in the least bit almondy.

I agree with you--=that description does not fit the flower 9except the "fresh' part). Not honeyed or powdery.

That does fit the description of mimosa absolutes that is I have smelled (whcih were called acacia farnesiana).

I suspect the absolutes are pretty much the same.

I'm also convinced that any perfume with a mimosa note is bound to disapoint the person looking for the scent of real mimosa--though these perfumes can be pleasing in theri own way.

I've grown very fond of Farnesiana by Caron, and Mimosa pour moi and Mimosaique, even though they smell almost nothing like mimosa blooms.

I am delighted to find a fellow perfumer out there who knows how wonderful and strangely beautiful l the real thing smells!
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 11th May 2009 at 01:04 AM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgie View Post
    I did order samples from Czech and Speake (thanks for the tip) and I'll be sure to compare and contrast!
    Curiosity may have killed the cat... it is tugging at my mind too. I wonder if the C&S samples arrived? And...??
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I can chime in with some info.

C&S Mimosa has a great topnote, not unlike Fleur de Cassie, but sadly fades to a boring musk. As far as im concerned, you can get no better than the Malle. I have samples on the way of Nicolai's (sadly discontinued) and YR's. Will report back.

Blog Entries

Nostalgie,

I suggest contacting Linda at The Perfumer's Apprentice
    http://www.perfumersapprentice.com/

She's in Santa Barbara. She's a gardener. She helps people develop their own personal fragrances. And she's been very helpful with my questions.

Good luck.