Code of Conduct

Default Dark Rose Chypres - sorting out L'Arte Di Gucci, Gucci III and Soir de Lune

A while back I came across the following article on dark rose fragrances.

I adore Rose de Nuit, and thus L'Arte Di Gucci jumped right to the top of my must-try list! Right now I'm wondering if it's a safe blind buy given my love of rose, and in particular my love of Rose de Nuit.

Already faced with this possibility, what should I come across but this article, praising Soir de Lune and also mentioning Gucci III.

So, if L'Arte de Gucci is superior to Rose de Nuit, and Soir de Lune is superior to L'Arte de Gucci, then Soir de Lune is clearly awesome sauce personified in rose chypre form. I'm wondering if I should bother with L'Arte at all.

Not really asking for a solution here. I'm just in a, ahem, financially limited situation, and would like to hear some thoughts on these three before I buy. Especially interesting to hear from those who've tried Rose de Nuit and can draw some comparisons.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Dark Rose Chypres - sorting out L'Arte Di Gucci, Gucci III and Soir de Lune

All four -- despite the rose note -- are very different. There is also Czech and Speake Dark Rose -- fabulous scent in my book.

L'Arte -- try finding it! -- is the best choice for you, I think, in terms of similarity to Rose de Nuit. But -- once again -- I do not know of any place where it is readily available.

Sisley Soir de Lune -- I had a bottle but it got swapped away. Became too cloying on me the first day of wear to the point that I could only tolerate it the next day.

Gucci III -- have not had a single drop of it since last year, but it is a very very interesting fragrance juxtopposing sharp bergamot and dusty roses. There is a certain "furniture/floor polish" vibe about it as well as other flowers in the bouquet in addition to roses, Paganini La Campanella for me. My favorite of the four.

Default Re: Dark Rose Chypres - sorting out L'Arte Di Gucci, Gucci III and Soir de Lune

I own Rose de Nuit and have tried L´Arte and Gucci III, and like Twolf I find them rather different. I also agree that L´Arte is the most similar to RdN, but even more elegant and "expensive" smelling. This one makes me think of jewells and furs... It is also the most "feminine" of the three I have tried. I AM considering a bottle one day though it might be a bit hard for me to wear. Reminds me a bit of Caron´s Or et Noir too, but that one is more cloying on me.

No III reminds me of a MUCH drier Voleur de Roses. Totally unisex and different from every other rose I have smelled. This is a bit more wearable and also somewhere on my wishlist.
    Last edited by pelle; 21st April 2009 at 10:11 AM.
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Well, as my username suggests, I am a Soir de Lune afficionado. Regrettably, I cannot compare it with the others you mention, though I can say that the quality and longevity of SdL is truly excellent, and that it develops beautifully. It also has a woodiness that I find delightful. It is not the cheapest fragrance on the market, but I can vouch that a little goes a mighty long way.

I haven't seen L'Arte in years -- is is readily available where you are?

Agree with Twolf that C & S Dark Rose is a delicious alternative, with a light, aoud aspect, but its longevity does not begin to compare with SdL. Ditto Cabaret, which is a very affordable, 'crystalline' rose chypre -- really pretty but, again, lasts but a couple of hours on my skin.

Hope you enjoy your new scent, whichever one you choose!
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Well, I am coming at this question with a partial and somewhat biased view, but I would like to cast my vote for L'Arte di Gucci. I agree that it is the most feminine and expensive smelling, and...get this.....despite a little bit of civet in there somewhere, I still like it very much, which, believe me, is praise indeed. I would discount Rose de Nuit as the civet is too intrusive, I expect Gucci III would be offputtingly animalic too, though I haven't tried it, while Soirdelune I find a bit "choky-woody-powdery". With apologies to its dear namesake on this site!
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Rossy de Palm,a from Etat Libre d´Orange might be worth trying. it´s considerably cheap for a niche perfume, it´s a rather bright Rose and maybe a bit brighter than Rose de Nuit ( it doesn´t have the typical Lutens feel to it) and I´d say more chypre like than Rose de Nuit.

I´d recommend trying Aoud rose Petals if you like the lutens quality in rose de nuit but it won´t help your financial situation.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

never in my wildest dreams would I have guessed that soir de lune had rose notes in it. i have just finished a miniature (have a few backups) and find it to be quite masculine on me. like the others have mentioned, i am very impressed with it's longevity.

i now want to try l'arte, i love the sound of luxurious smelling rose.

Galamb, have you considered Estee Lauder Knowing? It is a mossy rose chypre, massive longevity and very affordable. Sillage is also very strong, so a little goes a long way--great bang for the buck!

Thanks for all the advice! Now I'm really tempted to blind buy L'Arte ( I saw it for sale online at 1stperfume for 29$... though I've heard some bad things about 1stperfume ).

I'll definitely be checking out Estee Lauder Knowing and Sisley's Soir de Lune, too. Gucci III I suspect is not for me - comparisons to furniture polish and Voleur de Roses turn me off it.

I'm a fan of Czech & Speake Dark Rose already, and would own a bottle if I didn't already own the delightful Mukhallat Al Emirates, a similar fragrance with better longevity. I'm not actively hunting for another oud rose - this little side-quest in my rose obsession is a hunt for a rose chypre.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    Galamb, have you considered Estee Lauder Knowing? It is a mossy rose chypre, massive longevity and very affordable. Sillage is also very strong, so a little goes a long way--great bang for the buck!
    I'd second that -- Luca Turin gave it 5 stars and called it "mossy rose." Try dabbing it, instead of spraying -- this stuff is ... hmm... powerful!

You can try it at any Este Lauder counter.
    Last edited by kess; 21st April 2009 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kess View Post
    I'd second that -- Luca Turin gave it 5 stars and called it "mossy rose." Try dabbing it, instead of spraying -- this stuff is ... hmm... powerful!

You can try it at any Este Lauder counter.
    Neat! I think I'll go and give it a try today - I know there's an Estee Lauder counter at The Bay downtown. I'll let you all know what I think.

Basenotes Institution

Coincidence: I almost posted that you should try Knowing, when I read your post this morning Galamb. Please let us know how you like it.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Blog Entries

Next time try Azuree and Aliage, if they have it. Also try White Linen. All need decent dri-down time.

For dark rose chypres I really like Aromatics Elexir.

What about Nuit de Noel. I was reading that it was aslo a rose chypre with an oriental dry down? I just ordered a bottle from Parfum1, their sale was to good to pass up. What catagory do you guys think it falls in? Do you like it?

Blog Entries

I like Nuit de Noel, personally. I think it's one of the easiest Carons to wear. Not overbearing or wimpy, right down the middle. The Noel part comes in when you might pick up on a bit of cinnamon/nutmeg (Xmas) spices. It's very light in the chypre/aldehyde treatment. One of the best!

I love Knowing. I love Aromatics Elixir, too, but not on me. I smelled it on a dept. store SA once and didn't recognize it, it was so glorious smelling. Another one I like very much is Agent Provocateur. I've never owned it but I think it's wonderful stuff.

Hillaire

Well, I cannot think of anything I like more than L'Arte these days, besides Jil Sander 4 (another dark rose chypre for you to try very much in the Knowing vein, but finer, I'd venture).

And for the record, I dislike Soir de Lune. Go figure.

Well, I tried L'Arte this morning.

I am so glad I did not blind buy this!

The opening is rather interesting. It's a big, fruity, jammy rose mounted on a chypre base. After the first fifteen minutes, it starts to change its character, warming with a warm, almost hot civet note that overpowers the chypre element and smothers the rose. Then something other than civet joins it, something unnameable, something horrible, something that made this a scrubber... a truly massive cheese note.

Civet and cheese?

No thanks.

Oh, my goodness! And I have been trawling the internet looking for a mini of this stuff!

Your picture certainly paints a thousand words!!!
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

This is weird, isn't it, because I am super sensitive to civet, as you all know, yet could tolerate the modest amount I detected in this. However, I once did a three way comparison of L'Arte on myself and two friends, and on one of us, this scent was utterly gross from the moment she applied it to skin. Didn't even smell of rose, not even fleetingly. Just indescribable and multiple sources of grossness, which may have included cheese - we were all too traumatised to remember clearly. So you and she may be related at some deep dermatological level. She is an aromatherapist and I bet she needed to slather on her entire cabinet of essential oils afterwards to mask the evil vestiges of this one...
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 8th May 2009 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VM I hate civet View Post
    This is weird, isn't it, because I am super sensitive to civet, as you all know, yet could tolerate the modest amount I detected in this. However, I once did a three way comparison of L'Arte on myself and two friends, and on one of us, this scent was utterly gross from the moment she applied it to skin. Didn't even smell of rose, not even fleetingly. Just indescribable and multiple sources of grossness, which may have included cheese - we were all too traumatised to remember clearly. So you and she may be related at some deep dermatological level. She is an aromatherapist and I bet she needed to slather on her entire cabinet of essential oils afterwards to mask the evil vestiges of this one...
    Very interesting! It's amazing how skin chemistry can totally transform a fragrance. I have noticed that my skin can play havoc with some leather and tobacco fragrances ( the former turning to soap and the latter to chlorine, smell-wise ). This is the first time a chypre has gone wonky on me, so I'm glad to know I'm not alone!

Quote Originally Posted by soirdelune View Post
    Oh, my goodness! And I have been trawling the internet looking for a mini of this stuff!
    Well, you never know - it might smell great on you! I'd just advise giving it a sample before spending any serious cash.

Blog Entries

I was reading this & I wanted to mention; Jill Sander 4 is strong deep tuberose. Pretty heady stuff.

Have you tried Boucheron Homme, Galomb? http://www.osmoz.com/fragrances/Jewe...on-pour-Homme#

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Well, I tried L'Arte this morning.

I am so glad I did not blind buy this!

The opening is rather interesting. It's a big, fruity, jammy rose mounted on a chypre base. After the first fifteen minutes, it starts to change its character, warming with a warm, almost hot civet note that overpowers the chypre element and smothers the rose. Then something other than civet joins it, something unnameable, something horrible, something that made this a scrubber... a truly massive cheese note.

Civet and cheese?

No thanks.
    This is what I experienced with Knowing. It's so weird indeed how the body chemistry can change a fragrance.

The first impression about Knowing was positive. A nice opening, not sweet al all, clean, aldehydes and spices. The heart notes revealed a woody rose. But the drydown was a disaster on me. My nose is like a radar when it comes to civet (it's not that I don't like it, but too much of anything is not good...). So I went home looking on basenotes to confirm my suspicion, but not a hint about civet in the reviews. On osmoz I've found in the pyramid of notes the "culprit". It has patchouli, oakmoss and civet. Tones of civet on me, oakmoss dumped in civet and dripping. And it last and it last and it last. I hardly removed it scrubbing it two times with olive oil and with make up remover twice.

I'm sorry Asha, I know how much you like Knowing. God knows I've tried...
    Last edited by anais; 9th May 2009 at 01:07 AM.
    ~ Anais ~

I have just received a quantity of Andy Tauer's anticipated "Une Rose Chyprée" release which is a wonderful rose chypre focusing on rosa damascena (using the absolute and the steam-distilled oil). From what I have sampled thus far, it fits wonderfully into the dark rose chypre category... rich and opulent, and full of whimsy.

I am going to post a blog review about it in the next few days and offer a small competition to win some samples.

It definitely does - good thinking, batman!

I found this a bit "werrrr!" going on - I always seem to get a tingly, almost medicinal note mixed in with incense in the openings of most Tauers - but the drydown got nicely rosey, whilst still being powdery/woody/smoky.

Basenotes Plus

Dimitri, I'd read somewhere else that you were wearing this...perhaps SOTD. I can't wait to try AT's Rose Chypre!
    Now...GB, if you will pm me, I will decant you some Rosy d'Palma & Soir de Lune for you to test....if you would like. I would also second (or third) the Knowing suggestion. Also, I've gotten my hands on some DSH Perfume rose scents & can send you a bit of her Rose Vert for you to sample as well.
    It will just be a little bit but will give you an idea of what they are like before you invest in a bottle.

Hillaire

You really shouldn't overlook Jil Sander 4
    You know, Turin call Soir de Lune a cheap knock off of Montana Parfum de Peau

Blog Entries

Agent Provacateur & Narciso Rodriguez For Her EDP come to mind for this category.
    Last edited by kumquat; 12th May 2009 at 03:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    Dimitri, I'd read somewhere else that you were wearing this...perhaps SOTD. I can't wait to try AT's Rose Chypre!
    Hello RHM, thats correct! Actually Ive just posted a review and competition on my blog so you can win a sample of Andy's latest. Follow the link in my siggy below.

Oh Chpyres. How I LOVE this category.

I've always liked Knowing, but found it difficult to wear because of it's Atlas strength. I remember how I envied my best friend who wore it so well back in the early 90s.. Recently, I bought Knowing Lotion, and I apply that as I would a perfume. It's great! Works much better for me.

I would like to suggest another scent, Paloma Picasso. This fragrance to me, is similar to Knowing in overall scent character (deep, rosy Chypre - yuuummm), but much smoother, and absolutely gorgeous. I just re-purchased this (owned a bottle back when it was released) and the re-formulated version is very similar, and here's the best part, even more wearable than I remember it! The older version used to turn on me in the drydown - the new version doesn't.
    Last edited by pomander; 15th May 2009 at 12:29 AM.
    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

"Three essentials for a good life: Someone to love, somewhere to go, and something to look forward to."

I love Knowing, but I also have trouble with this and almost all Estee Lauder scents--there is something in them that gives me an allergic reaction. That is why I sold my bottle, but I never thought to buy the lotion, even though I often wear fragrances in lotion form.

Also, I just retested PdN Odalisque after testing it last year some time. I think this may qualify as a Rose Chypre also--much more muted than Knowing, and it does not cause a reaction!

Soir de Lune is delightful! I want thank RHM for sending me a sample of this one - much appreciated.

The top notes are sparkling yet soft, complex without being discordant. The opening smells very "busy", as though all the performers in the show were being introduced before the curtain rises on act one. The chypre accord is there, as are fruity, floral, spicy and animal notes; a wine-like rose, patchouli, lemon, bergamont, peach, musk and oakmoss all quite discernible from the beginning. I swear there's a hint of immortelle here, too, or at least some similar warm spicy note that hovers in the background top to base.

The heart is mellow, refined and "classical", the fruitiness of the citrus and peach dying down and more of the oakmoss coming through, made slightly powdery by a warm floral component - a softer rose accompanied by a lightly fruity jasmine and mimosa.

In many ways I think this a very clever chypre accord in that the rich darkness of the moss note is mostly achieved through patchouli. This isn't a patchouli fragrance, but patchouli gives the chypre accord body and depth. Though the two fragrances are chalk and cheese, patchouli's role here is similar to its use in C&S's No. 88.

The base is rich and mossy, but unlike both Knowing and Rose De Nuit, there isn't a heavy thickness about it. It's not transparent, either, but nicely balanced somewhere in the middle. In fact, balance is probably the cardinal virtue of this fragrance. It contains a diversity of notes, yet manages to hold them all together in a chypre wrapping.

This is probably one of the few classically restrained fragrances I love. I'm attracted to bold, unusual and loud, but the understated complexity of this fragrance has charmed me. It's now my favorite chypre - yes, even over vintage Mitsouko - and is a must-own down the road a bit.

Galamb, I suggest you to try Diva by Ungaro, an absolutely beautiful rose chypree.
    The rose in Diva is close to the rose in Coco by Chanel but the rose is not so boozy and the civet is in smaller amounts. Both Coco and Diva are made by Jacques Polges.
    I can detect some similarities with Knowing too, but Diva is not so heavy, it has less oakmoss and less civet. To me Diva is more elegant.
    Last edited by anais; 28th May 2009 at 02:30 AM.
    ~ Anais ~

Lancome Sikkim comes to mind. It doesn't get much play, yet it is squarely in this category. You'll find minis on eBay at good prices. It was recently part of La Collection (along with Magie, Sagamore, Climat, and Mille).

Never mind the senselessness of the florid advertisement.

I clipped these notes from Beauty Encounter:
    Aldehydes, Gardenia, Galbanum, Caraway, Bergamot, Carnation, Iris, Jasmine, Rose, Narcissus, Amber, Leather, Patchouli, Coconut, Oakmoss, Vetiver

Because I have never tried L'Arte and I can't stand Soir, for me Sikkim is closest to Rose de Nuit, but it is a damper rose with less of a bramble effect in the base. Perhaps it is similar to Agent Provocateur, without as much powdery provocation. I get tons of rose, oakmoss, and vetiver out of it (coconut? HUH?).

I'm glad you like Soir de Lune, Galamb.

LT deserves a kick in the nuts for dissing it

I'm right there with you soirdelune.
    Soir de Lune is a huge favourite of mine, having a beautiful, beautiful drydown.

I suspect that anyone who thinks it's somehow bad (meaning the quality, not whether one likes it not, 'cause that's just a matter of taste as we all know) either has only tested it on paper or has not taken the time to wait for the drydown on skin...
    Last edited by Cumarin; 29th May 2009 at 01:04 PM.

Quiet little vote for Mukhallat Al Emirates...one of my favorite bedtime companions. But this is RULLY steamy nights in silk draped tents on multi-hued satin cushions and....and.....

As one who critiques frags SOLELY on how they treat my bod (occasionally use a blotter for reference, but not for an opinion) I rate this THE smoldering rose chypre....
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    Quiet little vote for Mukhallat Al Emirates...one of my favorite bedtime companions. But this is RULLY steamy nights in silk draped tents on multi-hued satin cushions and....and.....

As one who critiques frags SOLELY on how they treat my bod (occasionally use a blotter for reference, but not for an opinion) I rate this THE smoldering rose chypre....
    Another vote for the Emirates, though Une Rose Chyprée is as close to Dark Rose Chypre perfection that Im likely to find.