Code of Conduct

Default Any Love for Canali? New Blind Buys...

This company has only released 3 masculine scents and doesn't seem to get a lot of discussion here.

I was curious about this line and bought Canali for Men and Black Diamonds EDP blind, and while I find them pleasant enough...very Italian indeed...neither lacks that "wow" factor I look for in a scent.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Butthead53; 22nd April 2009 at 05:52 AM.

Default Re: Any Love for Canali? New Blind Buys...

I think Canali for Men is a great fragrance, unusual and distinguished smelling and considered buying it not so long ago. My only issue with it was longevity.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

I certainly agree that Canali Black Diamond, the fragrance of this house that I am familiar with, does indeed lack the WOW factor that I desire.

I found it to be a very uninteresting and common place fragrance that also left one desiring a bit more longevity and projection. So basically, I concur on your reaction of what I know about this house.

Best,

TJ

I've seen them in many different wardrobes, but it seems as if most people are rather ho-hum about the line
    At your service

Sur la Plage

I agree. They are OK, but nothing special that I would ever consider purchasing.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I find them too weak.

Black Diamond smells 'nice' but thats it. It reminds me of bubblegum, actually.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Black Diamon has a nice unusual opening but the drydown is so annoyingly synthetic and generic that it totally ruined the scent for me.

I prefer Canali for Men over Black Diamond and am thinking about adding it to my collection, but I agree that neither are particularly eye-opening. That's not a bad thing for me though since I need to wear inoffensive frags around for work most of the time. I haven't had the longevity issues others have mentioned with either though.
    "Health food may be good for the conscience but Oreos taste a hell of a lot better" - Robert Redford

I actually like the original Canali quite a bit. I find it quite a bit more interesting than the majority of designer releases.

On my skin it smells like a light version of Prada Amber. They have quite a few notes in common; neroli, bergamot, vetiver, tonka, cardamom, orange blossom, mandarin, leather, amber.

It has great longevity and projection for me.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

I blind-bought Canali Summer Night last week, and it is amazing.

It's almost what Dior Homme Sport should have been, if you had only smelled Dior Homme and picked up the bottle of Sport expecting a fresher variation of the original Dior Homme. It has a heavy iris note, but is also very fresh and aquatic. Everything is very well blended and smooth. The laundry list of notes are green violet, mandarin, bergamot, coriander, cardamom, nutmeg, apple, pineapple, melon, orange flowers, jasmine, lily of the valley, leather, musk, vetiver, tonka bean, oak tree musk, cedarwood, sandalwood, iris, amber and "sea breeze".

One of the most unique "fresh" scents on the market today, most aquatics don't have a heavy floral note like this one does.
    Last edited by Royal; 22nd April 2009 at 07:09 PM.

Don't like the original Canali. I've never been a fan of that 'permanent marker' (unless it's from a freakin' permanent marker) smell that some scents have. The Dreamer is another that shares that similar note - albeit a lot heavier than Canali.
    Last edited by Regis Philbin; 22nd April 2009 at 07:16 PM.
    I have: Davidoff Relax, Dior Homme Sport, Boss Selection, Azzaro Visit, and Creed MI (will provide # on bottle for verification) available.

Looking for the following: DG The One, Himalaya, YSL L'Homme, John Varvatos (not vintage) Canali For Men or Paypal.

I like all the Canali's. They are perfect for work. A lot of guys wear too much damn cologne.

I loved the smell of the original, I only sold it because it lacks longevity on my ultra dry skin.

Quote Originally Posted by bk33 View Post
    I loved the smell of the original, I only sold it because it lacks longevity on my ultra dry skin.
    I have the Black Diamond and the longevity is poor as well.

Canali Men is delectable.