3.) Blue Amber 101 wears (#82)
    4.) Aoud Lime 51 wears (#237)
    5.) Red Aoud 50 wears (#243)
    6.) Attar 49 wears (#246)
    7.) White Aoud 48 wears (#259)
    8.) Aoud Roses Petals 34 wears (#362)
    8.) Royal Aoud 34 wears (#362)
    10.) Aoud Damascus 33 wears (#378)

Montale is the number nine house over the last year. Montale is also a testament to what the power of advertising in this community can bring you. As you can see from the graph Montale hit a sustained peak from week 20-30. This was concurrent with an advertising banner from maisonstinky offering as many free Montale samples as you wanted for life if you bought a bottle from him. From almost the moment the ad went up and was in the community’s face the wears for Montale began to climb and the numbers bear this out. The Montale average was 15.53 wears/week in weeks 1-19, during the ad campaign the average climbed to 28.45 wears/week in weeks 20-30, and then they remained up at 21.25 wears /week for the remainder of the year. These numbers were also mirrored by another much smaller House, Neil Morris, and I’ll be talking about that in a few days. Bottom line is advertising to this community works.
    The top three Montales are easily the three most popular Montales on the forums. Black Aoud, Red Vetyver and Blue Amber all generate significant chatter and were talked about a lot. Montale also benefits from being the gateway oud to many Basenoters. As it is usually a Montale they try first if they’ve come to realize the note they like in something like YSL M7 is oud. It is certainly the oud that gets recommended the most with Black Aoud being the most recommended. Aoud Damascus is the one which has the most recommendations as being the most accessible of the Montales and I was surprised to not see it higher. White Aoud was the favorite Montale of the women and had the highest percentage of female wears. Overall Montale got 23% female wears but outside of White Aoud there was no single scent the women found most interesting. Red Vetyver was one of the most successful new scents of the year finishing third in that category.
    That’s it for Montale.
    We’ll wrap up the House top 10 tomorrow with Caron.
    Last edited by Somerville Metro Man; 23rd April 2009 at 02:05 PM.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Default Re: SotY: Montale

[QUOTE}This was concurrent with an advertising banner from maisonstinky offering as many free Montale samples as you wanted for life if you bought a bottle from him. [/QUOTE]

Some time you basenoters from the states are just too lucky.

For all the chatter that Black Aoud generates on Basenotes, it gets suprisingly few wears 198 according to the stats.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Well I wear black aoud on occasion, but I never remember to do that SotD thing.
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

I love the house of Montale.
    You get so much for your money.They last soo long , lotīs of quality and that free 20ml policy with every order is a standout. Montale rules.
    Only downside, their wide collection. It could be a bit smaller.

And whatīs also weird, thereīs almost no information on Pierre Montale the history and the house. No pics in the internet of him. Does the man actually excist?
    Last edited by eric; 14th May 2009 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    I love the house of Montale.
    You get so much for your money.They last soo long , lotīs of quality and that free 20ml policy with every order is a standout. Montale rules.
    Only downside, their wide collection. It could be a bit smaller.

And whatīs also weird, thereīs almost no information on Pierre Montale the history and the house. No pics in the internet of him. Does the man actually excist?

i second the entire post way to go Montale!!! heres me in Black Oudh

SMM: Thanx for the excellent overview !! you the Best!
    Last edited by jenson; 14th May 2009 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    i second the entire post way to go Montale!!! heres me in Black Oudh
    LOL! Let me know when it wears off, next week ok?
    Last edited by eric; 14th May 2009 at 08:53 PM.

Eric, I could see wanting to have fewer Montale scents, but hey, Guerlain has plenty and they are a widely respected house. If you do them well, you could take a Black Aoud, throttle back one ingredient, add something else and you have a different scent. I agree, Montale is giving some bang for the buck. It is priced toward the high end of the spectrum, but the extra concentration if you want, the longevity and with 100ml, a free 20ml of something, wow, I am a Montale fan for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    LOL! Let me know when it wears off, next week ok?
    yup i sure will...i'll conquer the world until then will need a faster horse than Genghis Kahn though...