Code of Conduct

Smile One family: Tobacco Vanille, Ambre Narguilé, Tea for Two

I was talking with two fellow Dutch BN members on another forum, and we agreed that three particular scents have strangely familiar characteristics, while the comparison has never been mentioned on BN before.

L'Artisan - Tea for Two: sweet honeyed, smokey tea
    Tom Ford - Tobacco Vanille: sweet honeyed smokey tobacco
    Hermès - Ambre Narguilé: sweet honeyed apple pie with sultanas and a cup of tea next to it

Have you guys found the same overlapping qualities in these three scents?
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Default Re: One family: Tobacco Vanille, Ambre Narguilé, Tea for Two

Hmmm... On such a subject, I would have replaced Tea for Two with Spiritueuse Double Vanille but that's just me (and my nose).

I'd have to say that Tea for Two reminds me somewhat of Tobacco Vanille, yes. No, they aren't the "same" but they both seem to trigger the same little spot in the back of my brain

I've never smelled the other

Blog Entries

I'd add L'Artisan Mechant Loup and Amouage Jubilation XXV to that list of sweet honeyed fragrances.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Basenotes Institution

I see the similarity to Tea for Two and Tobacco Vanille definitely. However after several wearings of both, I have been able to understand their differences.

T42 is clearer, slightly more watery (specifically 'milky') and transparent. It's smokiness is very sharp and pungent. Plus it is primarily a tea scent so it never really loses this vibe.

TV smells much more tobacco and vanilla prominent. Its much more sweeter (honey) and it's thick...almost sticky. Which makes it impossible to wear in the heat for me (it becomes quite sickening in humid climate). TV's doesn't really smell smoky to me. What it does smell like, is pipe tobacco, which people usually associate with burning tobacco. But the scent itself doesn't smell like something burning, if that makes sense. It also lasts atleast twice as long as T42. More expensive too.

Hermessence Ambre Narguile, a scent I love, doesn't smell like vanilla or tobacco or tea. To me, it smells like a warm, cinnamon, sweet artisanal dessert.

The only familiar characteristic of all three, is that they are all gourmand scents, but this is more about classifying the scents not 'overlapping qualities.'
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Banned

Like mikeperez23, I wouldn't put Ambre Narguile in the same category (besides being a gourmand). The other two have that woody/sweet accord. Tea really is woodsy sort of smell when you think about. I see SDV's similarities with TV, though I find that the spicier aspects of SDV make it a more "full" fragrance than TV.

I would remove Ambre Narguilé, but would confidently replace it with Serge Lutens 5 o'clock Gingembre. That's my triptych of similar (and fabulous) honeyed hay, tea, and tobacco scent.

I find similarities between T42c and TV, believing that TV is more persistent in soot and T42 in honey