Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Burr gives M by Mariah Carey one star

'...We are fortunate that Arden selected the competent perfumers Carlos Benaïm and Loc Dong to create M by Mariah Carey, a near-paradigmatic ultra-sweet.

Under the creative direction of Ron Rolleston and Noreen Dodge, Benaïm and Dong transposed the helium soprano and immortal lyrics (”It’s just a sweet, sweet fantasy, baby”) into olfactory form with ethyl maltol, the molecule that you taste and smell in cotton candy, and one that I happen to love. When they were done, the perfumers handed Arden a bottled weapon aimed with deadly commercial accuracy at the heart of the Mariah Carey connoisseur. On smelling it one is aware, if not actively afraid, of the possibility of diabetic shock. Its scent is reminiscent of a teenage girl in a summer halter top strolling on a Jersey Shore boardwalk that bathes her in its smells: hot cotton candy, sticky saltwater taffy and a whiff of Mega Hold hair gel heating in the sun....'

Read the full review in the NYT The Moment blog here.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Default Re: Burr gives M by Mariah Carey one star

It IS pretty disturbing, at least in the top. The sweetness is just mall-generic sugar shared by many other sister-celeb scents (Paris, Britney, Jessica) and not so shocking unless one is accustomed to wearing only dry and mossy basenotes. But that top is something else--it's downright unpleasant, ugly even, and, sorry, Mariah, off key, like an alto trying to go into coloratura range and scraping the skin off the tonsils.

Most of the mall-celeb scents share puffy marshmallow Girl Scout notes, melted over campfire wood.

Blog Entries

That sounds scary.

I got a real sour note on the dry down. Yucky!

Why would a cougar launch a teen-girl frag ?
    -

Leave Mariah alone!!!
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 29th April 2009 at 06:20 PM.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Why do they even bother. It all is just sickening. Any celebrity who thinks "their" personal choices in scents should be marketed are imbeciles. It goes to show how lacking in creativity they all are beneath the surface; how else could 15 different "celebrities" create scents that smell so similar and so awful at the same time.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Because they're aimed at the same target demographic.

I'm sure the celebrity can have an opinion on variant A, B or C during the creative process, but A, B and C are all fruity florals anyway.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Quote Originally Posted by Brielle87 View Post
    Why do they even bother. It all is just sickening. Any celebrity who thinks "their" personal choices in scents should be marketed are imbeciles. It goes to show how lacking in creativity they all are beneath the surface; how else could 15 different "celebrities" create scents that smell so similar and so awful at the same time.
    Lacking in creativity and perception, too, I think. The whole genre smacks of greed and hubris. Maybe it is a fun thing for some celebrities to engage in, a learning experience, but if it were all about the scent, their name and image wouldn't need to be plastered all over their product. Maybe I'm being shortsighted. There is a particular new 'celebscent' recently discussed on Perfume Posse that apparently showed promise. I will never know, though, because I, too, refuse to buy into all that.

I wonder how much of the process is initiated by the celebrity herself... and how much of it is just part of another enormous marketing mission to capitalize (monetize!) on a star's fan base, driven by agents and labels and managers. Regardless, it is clearly about cash and promoting the star in another context.