Code of Conduct

Default Eau des Iles vs. Eau du Navigateur - any preference, and why?

So according to legend Jean LaPorte sold off L'Artisan Parfumeur on bad terms and then recreated Eau du Navigateur in the form of MPG's Eau des Iles... I have tried both, but not at the same time, and by memory they seem identical to me - they both smell like the sun dried, sea salt soaked, debris of a pirate ship which was blasted out of the sea by cannon balls and flames, and then washed up on the shore.

Are there significant differences (besides the shape of the bottle!)? If so, what are they, and which do you prefer, and why?

Thanks!
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sa Majesté La Rose

Default Re: Eau des Iles vs. Eau du Navigateur - any preference, and why?

As I recall, the Eau des Iles had more of a coffee/hazelnut and was a tad bit smokier. Navagatuer was a little more black currant like in SMW and less smokey, a less loud note. I bought Eau des Iles and then got a second bottle but sold it as I soured on the overt coffeeness of Eau des Iles. I keep thinking Id like the L'artisan scent now

I just discovered I still had a couple of drops of Navigateur left from a sample, and I can compare the two. Although they are very similar in that they're both smokey sea-salty spice explosions, Navigateur is actually alot lighter, and softer and also as you implied about the blackcurrant, sweeter. A woman could wear Navigateur, while Eau des Iles is *so* dark, and so much smokier, I don't think most men could pull it off! It's also muskier.

I don't have enough navigateur for a proper wearing, but Eau des Iles is one of these fragrances that absolutely requires body heat and humidity to shine. When I tried it on at home, it was just a dry dessicated salty woods that lasted two minutes. I put more on and went for a walk in the sun, with a scarf on, and I became aglow with manly aura of pirate ship. Utterly astounding. A female friend of mine smelled it on me and literally started climbing on top of me!
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 24th April 2009 at 07:38 PM.
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sa Majesté La Rose

Stop it Gaivs! "Manly aura of a pirate ship?" Now this is another scent I've just *got* to sample.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Stop it Gaivs! "Manly aura of a pirate ship?" Now this is another scent I've just *got* to sample.
    Hey, looks like I'm good at selling things to you! I should be a special rep to sculptureofsoul...

But to elaborate a little - it smells like a pirate who's been out in the sun all day deep out in the pacific, being sprayed by the salt ocean water, and whose got gunpowder on his skin from shooting off cannonballs.

It also makes me think of the wood plank debris of a pirate ship that floated out onto a beach, having been soaked in sea salt and seaweed, and then been drying in the sun all day.
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sa Majesté La Rose

I have a bottle of each and to my nose they smell almost identical. The only difference I can discern is Eau du Navigateur is slightly less projecting and is a bit milder. Some people notice a slight leather note in Eau du Navigateur and more a tobacco note in Eau d Ilies, but I can not make that distinction myself. To me, both have the same note profiles with Eau d' Iles being slightly bolder. Has been one of my top ten fragrances for quite a while now. A rich blend of mildly sweet coffee, smokey leather/tobacco, and smoldering woods. It is a very masculine fragrance.

Basenotes Institution

From what I have heard of L' Eau du Navigateur, it was slightly B.O.-ish in the top notes...you know like sweat mixed with the coffee (probably cumin, coriander, maybe both?). Plus the tobacco and leather are strong. The leather a tad like Dzing! and the tobacco like Idole. It's one of those L'Artisan scents I've always wanted to smell. LIttle known fact: Did you know that L'Artisan sales reps are instructed to tell customers that the nose behind L'EDN is Jean Claude Ellena? Seriously.

Does the above description(s) sound similar to Eau des Iles to you? The scent sounds fantastic (climbing women atop you, aside).
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    From what I have heard of L' Eau du Navigateur, it was slightly B.O.-ish in the top notes...you know like sweat mixed with the coffee (probably cumin, coriander, maybe both?). Plus the tobacco and leather are strong. The leather a tad like Dzing! and the tobacco like Idole. It's one of those L'Artisan scents I've always wanted to smell. LIttle known fact: Did you know that L'Artisan sales reps are instructed to tell customers that the nose behind L'EDN is Jean Claude Ellena? Seriously.

Does the above description(s) sound similar to Eau des Iles to you? The scent sounds fantastic (climbing women atop you, aside).
    I actually found a couple of drops left in an old sample I had of Navigateur, and I think they're both B.O.-ish in the sense of salty surface skin sweat, rather than musky underarm sweat. I don't really smell coffee in either of them, though it's in the official description of Eau des Iles.

Like Buzzlepuff said, they're both super similar, but I detect a bit more variation than he does.

Why would L'Artisan reps be instructed to tell people JC Ellena made Navigateur???

That must piss off Jean LaPorte to no end! Where did you hear that?

I should probably start a new thread, but from my experience JC Ellena is kind of overreated. Everything he does is interesting, and I like some of them alot, but the common thread between all of them, is that I find they usually lack depth so that they get boring quickly. They are lovely but not objects of wonder and pontification. I'm thinking of Terre, the Bvlgari Tea series, the Hermes Jardin series, Concentree d'Orange Verte. I haven't tried his other creations, and I'm not super keen to try them either! The Rouge and Jardin en Mediterannee are worth having but that's enough to sate my appetite and curiosity for his stuff.

Is it just me?
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 24th April 2009 at 08:20 PM.
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sa Majesté La Rose

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    ...Why would L'Artisan reps be instructed to tell people JC Ellena made Navigateur???...That must piss off Jean LaPorte to no end! Where did you hear that?...

...I'm thinking of Terre, the Bvlgari Tea series, the Hermes Jardin series, Concentree d'Orange Verte...
    From a L'Artisan sales rep at Neiman Marcus.

I love many JCE scents. There are also some I don't like at all. Like him or not, I don't think he is trying to gain a large fan club, with his style.

BTW - Basenotes incorrectly lists JCE as the nose of Concentree D'Orange Verte by Hermes. He is not. It's actually Jean Guichard.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post

Save for the BO note, you are spot-on on your analogy. I bought Dzing and LEdN on the same day, sprayed both on one hand each, then couldn't tell the difference for the first few minutes (i must have had some Dzing drops on the skin of my nose, causing an olfactory bias towards Dzing) About 10 minutes after the initial application, LEdN then began to go the coffee/tobacco route - strong roast coffee with cured tobacco leaf, no fecal/cumin dirtiness though.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I don't think there's any black currant note in either (perhaps I misread something). L'Artisan's offering is still one of my top 5. It's smokier on top, and dries down with a more pronounced tobacco finish, with some exotic floral notes in the middle to lighten it up. MPG's offering is harsher and darker and overall, less well-rounded. They are very similar, but I find L'Artisan to be more refined and luxurious.
    The Bark Bites Back here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com

That comparison makes sense, but I tend to like the darker Eau des Iles.

By the way, I mentioned earlier that I couldn't detect any coffee in eau des iles - what the hell was I thinking? It's so weird how when you're exposed to a smell that's rather different from what you've smelled before it takes several applications to process what's going on. The coffee is *so* prominent, especially at the beginning. It's more coffee grounds than beans though.
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sa Majesté La Rose