Code of Conduct

Default Hi everyone, Totally New to Cologne/Fragrances, Need some Help/Suggestions

Hi everyone,

I'm new of course. I've really just started getting into to fragrances in an effort to improve my own self image, and because the way you smell is definitely a big first impression on people I want to smell like the classy, thoughtful, understanding, intellectual individual that I view myself as.

I really do like aquatic, floral, sweet, light scents (i.e. CK Euphoria, which is my current cologne, and the first one I've ever worn on a daily basis) However I'm interested in seeing how musky more masculine scents would smell on me. All of the ones I've been exposed to however (mostly cheaper brands like Jovan Musk) are either way to musky or wear off really fast.

I should probably also give you some other information about myself, so maybe I can find a cologne to fit my character (and to introduce myself somewhat). I'm a 19 year old college student majoring in social work, who is also interested in writing, art, and politics. I'm an intellectual and an idealist. I like to think of myself as trendy in more of an individualist beatnik sort of way.

Another thing you should probably know is that I'm also a smoker, not a heavy smoker however (maybe 5 cigarettes a day) so the tobacco smell wears off after a while. This is one of the reasons I'm interested in some of the more musky, tobacco, woodsy type of scents, however if their is a lighter scent that would go well with the tobacco smell, I'd love to hear your suggestions on that also. Keep in mind I'm also a poor college student so can't afford some of the really expensive stuff.

Thanks

Default Re: Hi everyone, Totally New to Cologne/Fragrances, Need some Help/Suggestions

Welcome to the perfume hobby world!If you like non-musky tobacco scents you can try these:
    -Versace's the Dreamer: Give it an hour before you make your judgment on it, it dries off to an abstract, synthetic( well all colognes are anyways) tobacco and has floral and sweet notes. Get it online for really cheap.
    - Burberry London for Men - has nice leather flower drydown
    - D&G pour homme - has a more luxurious tobacco drydown smell, and is more classic
    I can't think of a musky tobacco cologne right now but im sure there are some out there, but none I can think of that we rave about around here (excluding niche scents of course) . Good luck in your search!

Default Re: Hi everyone, Totally New to Cologne/Fragrances, Need some Help/Suggestions

Kiehl's Original Musk Blend No. 1 by Kiehl's for Men Eau de Toilette is really nice when it dries down (after around 20 minutes). Not too expensive, either
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26123480.html

If you do have the inkling to splurge, Nasomatto Silver Musk is in-friggin-credible. The ladies just love this one.
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26129109.html

Acqua Di Parma Colinia Intensa dries down to a really great incense-y/woody/leather scent. Nice for summer.
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26128517.html

Get samples of of the suggested frags at http://www.theperfumedcourt.com
    Last edited by adonis; 23rd April 2009 at 10:52 PM.

Hello and welcome to the board. I'm wondering if you've ever tried Bulgari Black? From the bio you've provided it sounds to me like you two were made for each other. Now as for tobacco on the cheap I think an oldie like Azzaro Pour Homme might be just the thing for you. Burberry London is okay, but the last incarnation of it was much better for tabac. I can think of dozens more but none come close to the Azzaro price point - I'm looking at it selling for less than twenty bucks for the 1.7 ounce size at several sites over at bizrate.com
    It is, of course, always best to try before you buy whenever possible and there are certainly no shortage of sites that are more than willing to sell you test vials for a pittance. Trust your nose and enjoy the chase!

Also if anyone has suggestions for a more aquatic, lighter, floral, sweet, oriental type cologne with maybe some tobacco scent mixed in, or not, that has long lasting attributes that would be appreciated also. As I said before I'm more comfortable wearing lighter aquatic, fruity, floral colognes (CK Euphoria), but they don't seem to last as long, and are easily overcome by the tobacco smell from my smoking habit. However at the same time I would like to find an elegant musky more masculine cologne that works on me also.
    Last edited by will77; 24th April 2009 at 02:36 AM.

It seems to all add up to Mustang by Dorall Collection. It's a musky, herbal leather/tobacco, with good strength and longevity, and it's really cheap.

Blog Entries

Welcome to Basenotes! This is definitely the place to help you find your perfect scent.

The old Polo green went well with tobacco's smell back in my smoking days, but it's a bit old school. You might try the more modern Polo Modern Reserve, which is lighter and more modern.

I agree that London goes well with tobacco - it could be a good one for you. A very light, aquatic tobacco scent is Banana Republic Black Walnut. It has a light tobacco note that does last a while, but you might not find it strong enough.

If you're willing to spend a bit more, Miller-Harris Feuilles de Tabac might be perfect for you. I think it would blend well with tobacco. It's not so much musky as ambery, but I think that's also a direction that would work for you. The tobacco notes are light and would not get pushed over the line. Amber is strong and mixes well with smoky notes, taking the sharp edge off of tobacco on clothes. The net effect might be close to Burnt Amber, a great amber scent by Neil Morris, or Ambre Sultan, the king of amber scents. The latter would submerge any tobacco scent in a sea of goodness. Pricey, though.

Another light, modern oriental (besides Bulgari Black, which is an excellent suggestion) is Dolce and Gabbana the one For Men. That one might work for you. It stays close and doesn't overwhelm people around you. And if you really like floral, along with cool, powdery, and fresh notes, but totally NOT cliché, then try Kenzo Power. Amazing scent, and good price point.

Last but not least, Havana - great tobacco scent, but a powerhouse. May not be what you're looking for, but I just had to mention it.

one word
    Quorum
    thats all the masculine you will ever need
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

D&G pour homme, YSL Rive Gauche pour Homme and S.T. Dupont Noir all fit the bill of what you're after. I'd also consider Terre d'Hermes and Escada pour homme, however both of these are a bit more 'mature' smelling and may not impress you at first sniff.

As an aside, if you want to make a better first impression with any non-smokers, I'd consider cutting down or quitting smoking. You're nose and wallet, as well as the people around you, will thank you for it.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

as for the musky one, I can only recommend Narciso Rodriguez - for Him. It's simply magical..
    unico grande amore.

Dependent

try gucci envy for something nice sweet and oriental, imma smoker too btw

Azzaro pour homme, especially with cigarettes
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

Versace Dreamer sounds like it would be right up your alley.

D & G PH is a really good scent. It has an incredible tobacco/vanilla drydown.

YSL M7 and Rive Gauche are also good masculine scents.