Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default An_our_girl and kess's weekend adventure

Ive finally done a write up on our weekend escapade!

On Thurs a week ago, I was doing some clothes shopping in Nordstrom's, and they did not the item in the color I wanted, but another Nordstrom -- in a high-end shopping center -- did. I could have it shipped to me (they offer a shipping service), but I've been thinking to going to that other mall for a while, since they have Neiman Marcus and other high-end stores. So it was a perfect excuse to go there on a Saturday. An_oud_girl (AOG) lives less than 5 miles away from me, so I invited her to join me, and she graciously accepted.

First we went to Nordstrom's -- it looked like they were getting ready for a 'fragrance festival' or just had one, as there were tables set up with gifts sets, etc, and a lot of company representatives were on hand. We sniffed some classics and got a few samples to go. Overall the counters were buzzing with activity -- I was not sure if it was a regular occurrence there or not. Made me think "Is the recession over already?"

Then we moved over to Neiman Marcus. They were also quite busy, and a few samples were sitting out unprotected - YSL Elle and L'Homme, which we picked up. AOG made a purchase at the Estee Lauder counter, so we got some samples there too - Amber Ylang Ylang, Tuberose Gardenia and Sensuous. The "higher end fragrances" including Creeds were in a room off to the side, so we explored there as well. We sniffed Creed Love in Black and both said "Eww!" It reminded me somehow of Miel de Bois -- cooking grease mixed with something sweet: honey for MdB, and violets for LinB -- similar effect. I sniffed a few other Creeds on paper, but they were too 'manly' for me. AOG found Shalimar parfum, and I really liked it on her, and wished I had seen it too! It was lovely. We also had a chance to sniff at a few new releases: AG Matin d'Orage (meh), Prada Infusion d'Oranger (meh) and JM Dark Amber and Ginger Lily (AOG liked it a lot).

After NM, we ran out of time and had to go back. I did not know they also had Bloomingdale's in the same mall; otherwise we probably would not have lingered at Nordstrom's as long. (Although Bloomingdale's selection seems to be similar to NM, at least online).

Overall, it was a lot of fun! I'm looking forward to the August BN get together, although I'm a bit concerned about how 'full' the program is. We spent slightly over 2 hours sniffing, and by the end we were out of skin and losing track what we sprayed where. I had put something on my forearm, which smelled divine, but I could not remember what it was! On the other hand, I had to wash off Estee when I got home -- the stuff is that strong!

~~~
    As an aside, Nordstrom's "free perfume sample" approach is totally working. Although I've not purchased a fragrance there yet, I spent about $170 there last weekend on clothes! Granted, I've not done much clothes shopping in the last three years, so I needed an update to my wardrobe. (Macy's used to be my "higher-end" store, but I don't have a reason to go there any more, he he). Also, they say perfume is expensive? I'd say it's downright affordable especially compared to clothes!
    Last edited by kess; 23rd April 2009 at 11:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: An_our_girl and kess's weekend adventure

Hooray for basenoters' meet-n-sniffs! Got any photographs? Sounds like great fun!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds as if you both had a great time. It is such a treat to spend time with others who share our passion for scent. Thank goodness for Basenotes and our wonderful "family" of fragrance lovers.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kess View Post
    Made me think "Is the recession over already?"
    Snort! That's what I thought when I looked at the stock market today. Might be true for many, but not for some of us.
    Thanks for taking us shopping with you, kess!
    Monarch butterflies require milkweed to prevent extinction

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting this. It was fun to enjoy your day vicariously. I'm mad at you though for calling two of my new favs meh.
    I'm not talking to you anymore for at least fifteen minutes. That'll teach you.

Oh, wait, I'm over it now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That sounds like fun! Thanks for the report. We should all go for a meet & sniff if possible. I'm surprised you haven't been to the Estee Lauder counter before. You have to hang around there more often. It's safe now that Tom ford's gone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    ... haven't been to the Estee Lauder counter before. You have to hang around there more often. It's safe now that Tom ford's gone.
    LMAO!

Thanks for posting the account of your adventure. That's an awesome shopping center -- haven't been for years!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm finally chiming in! I flew to Vegas Friday morning for a long weekend and just back this evening. I did a little sniffing at Hermes and Chanel while I was there, but these two shops are also right next door to each other up in San Francisco, and I was there as well not long ago.

Yep, Kess and I had to skip Bloomies and the L'Occitane boutique, plus there's a Sephora I've not been to that probably carries a better selection than the more local store.

We didn't take pics, but it was so crowded and busy that it probably would have been difficult. We'll definitely make sure to do that at the BN San Francisco Meet-up.

By the way, Kess, I think I remember that you sampled Mandragore. Could that have been the one you liked?
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous