Code of Conduct

Default Does the Quest Ever Stop?

Now that I have 2 Creeds, 4 Gendarmes, 1 Guerlain and countless mini sprayers I'm now compelled to go out and drop another $150 on a Nasomatto creation. I know this pales in comparison to many other BNers, but I only started this "hobby" in February.
    The worst part is the inner dialogue: "Okay, this is the last thing I need. Once I get this I'll be satisfied". Heh
    Last edited by adonis; 24th April 2009 at 07:38 PM.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Does the Quest Ever Stop?

No.

It never stops.

Hi Adonis,

Your obsession will eventually peak. After just how much damage, I can't say - it's totally individual. Then you'll feel like you ate too many chocolates or whatever at one sitting, and you'll hold off for a while. A while, my friend - not for good. The trick is to take advantage of the re-start by exercising some moderation and not plunging back in by gorging. I've gone through the cycle a few times, and not just with fragrances. All things considered though, our obsession is a fairly harmless one. I mean, it could be vintage cars or speedboats......

Best wishes,
    J.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Heh heh heh

Jardanel is right of course. The obsession aspect waxes and wanes but I've loved perfumes since I was in my preteen years and I'm 53 now, so... I don't really expect it to ever go away.

The trick is to use what you buy-- that is why you bought it, to enjoy it, right?

I sure appreciate what Jardanel and 30Roses say. I was keen on cologne since high since or before. The keen-ness drifted away after a girlfriend said no, just the smell of my skin was all she wanted. Well, 15 years later, I rediscovered fragrance. Now, with the internet, the world's frags are at my fingertips. And, true to form, I want to try them all. Well, not all, but more than enough. Have I been here before? Yes. Does it feel familiar? Yes. Fortunately, awareness helps. So does a concentration on samples and, when delighted, limiting the purchase to a decants whose volume/$$ does not break the bank nor get wasted. Still, the excitement gets a little scary sometimes. (I am happy to have been "clean and sober" for, lo, these past 28 years, but I don't really want to have to be "fragrance free.")

Clean and fragranced and sober is good, though!

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    No.

It never stops.

This is a true statement.

Have to agree the Quest is a hard one to stop - just when I'm ready to call the quits on sampling and buying, I try something amazing and I tell myself "See!? If you would have stopped you never would have discovered this masterpiece." Then a hole burns in my pocket.

To save money and guilt you can maybe try buying a few more samples or decants of the frags you think are FB worthy. That way if you tire of a scent further down the road (at a point where a bottle wouldn't be finished), you won't have an entire bottle just hanging around not being used. Remember that the more frags you own, the slower the bottle will empty.
    Sales thread here

Well guys and gals, I gave in and paid a visit to the Scent Bar. Happily handed over $160 for Silver Musk, then turned around and tried a spritz of Geir (Now I understand the hype - oh, so good!) and C&S No 88 (sublime). And so the quest continues. That place is dangerous.

As long as we have noses (and money to spend) the quest will never end.

If this was a finite process, it would not be half as much fun. The fact that this is an ever changing journey involving much refinement and evolution ensures that this obsession retains much of its fascination. Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere.

Just one more..... and I'll stop buying.

Who am I kidding? lol.

I don't think it stops but it probably changes. Sometimes I just want to buy everything I sniff, then purge, or wear a new scent every day, then stick to one or two for a while. I think I'll always love perfume but I hope that with time I'll learn to be in control of my acquisitions a bit more.

There's a limit to how long you can go at the rate you're going now, but it will take quite awhile before you only see one thing a month or so that compels you to snap it up.

I have an obsession as well. However I'm so picky I can hardly ever find anything I'm really interested in enough to buy.

Basenotes Plus

The next one will be my last. That's what I said last time, and the time before that, and the time before that................................can't see it ever ending.

Basenotes Institution

For me, it started off with finding another signature fragrance- one I could live with for the next x number of years- then I started discovering the world of perfume - real perfume - and then it's always on to the next one and the next. It doesn't seem to stop though I am waiting for that plateau ! Like Jon Rogers... the next will be my last .........but wait......that's really good scent .......gotta have it...just one bottle........
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Unfortunately, it does not.

Not even when you end up with over 100 fragrances and realise you have bought some twice because you've forgotten you already had them.

My wardrobe drawer collapsed the other day because of all the bottles I put there.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Darwinia View Post
    Unfortunately, it does not.

Not even when you end up with over 100 fragrances and realise you have bought some twice because you've forgotten you already had them.

My wardrobe drawer collapsed the other day because of all the bottles I put there.
    Hi Darwinia - welcome to basenotes again !
    OMG- your drawer collapsed ?!

OK- here my husband just shelled out for my Jicky extrait- how can I possibly be thinking of getting Carnal Flower or Velvet Gardenia ? So that's the worrying thing .

Hi!
    I guess I'll be staying here awhile...

Yes, the bottom of the drawer caved in (the drawer was rather wide and deep) and I just thought I distributed the weight evenly but hey physics proved me wrong. Thank goodness my precious cache fell onto clothing in the drawer below.
    I'm a hoarder.

And on the topic: I truly admire those who can stick to just a handful of fragrances and actually manage to use up all of it.

Basenotes Institution

Talking Re: Does the Quest Ever Stop?

Hi!
    I guess I'll be staying here awhile...

Yes, the bottom of the drawer caved in (the drawer was rather wide and deep) and I just thought I distributed the weight evenly but hey physics proved me wrong. Thank goodness my precious cache fell onto clothing in the drawer below.
    I'm a hoarder.

And on the topic: I truly admire those who can stick to just a handful of fragrances and actually manage to use up all of it.
    Yes thankfully nothing broke ! Mine are actually on the floor ,in the dark , in boxes- I am trying to get them in some sort of order and really some perfumes need to go .
    I also admire those who can stick to a few and use it all up.
    I think I am too stingy with sprays sometimes especially those dear to my heart so I rarely finish a bottle but I am trying to improve.
    Now about that Carnal Flower and Velvet Gardenia : D ..............

If you are trying to back-up vintage scents, enough to last for 50-80 more years of living, it never stops. I have not loved a newer scent in years, many actually, so I have to make sure I have enough of my classics to last me a lifetime. As long as I can find them, I will keep buying them.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    Now about that Carnal Flower and Velvet Gardenia : D ..............
    Oh my, Carnal Flower was a revelation to me. One of those scents that sweep you off your feet.

For some reason my husband goes from one bottle to another - I got him Idole by Lubin, he used it up within one year, then there was Pi, Gucci pour Homme, and now he's (ab)using Jubilation XXV - but he just manages to use up the whole 100ml right to the last drop, one fragrance at a time. For me, that's unfathomable, infeasible. He's so reasonable, logical with perfume when I'm just so whimsical, a woman of fleeting passions.
    I've ordered some samples recently and, of course, again a few new fragrances ended up on my "to buy" list.
    SLAP! "Stop it, you silly. You don't need to have all these. You can't even finish the ones you already have!"
    Yeah, I keep telling myself that.
    Is it the quest or just a plain addiction, I don't know.

Basenotes Institution

I think it starts as a quest and becomes an addiction. The thing is , the more you know ,the more you want ! It seems the quest depends on the kick you are on - floral, vanilla etc.
    My husband is content with exactly 3 fragrances - 2 of which I bought him and I have to remind him to use. I use him as a guinea pig to test fragrances out too- he finds that funny .He thinks I'm abit wierd re. my perfume addiction ! He is also very logical so having more than 1 or 2 fragrances is too much for him and he says they all smell the same apart from Hypnotic Poison !

Darwinia, at least it's bottles of PERFUME that we are hiding and/or stashing away. I have laughed at and identified with all who have posted here. Long live obsessive compulsives!

Quote Originally Posted by Inselaffe View Post
    Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere.
    I like that idea very much.
    [I]"Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere."[/I] -- [URL="http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?p=1496120#post1496120"]Inselaffe[/URL]

I don't really see how the quest could continue once you comprehensively tried literally everything and got all the ones you want. It'd be like already slaying all the darn dragons and clearing up all the dungeons, both ancient (vintage) and new.
    Last edited by moltening; 13th June 2009 at 05:13 AM.

Dependent

Fortunately or not, - what moltening said

I can relate to anything described there, as both friends and family state that I have enough scents to last for a lifetime and at least 3 still on the way (paid for by me, but not delivered to me yet). At any rate, once I discovered niche, and truly NOT out of reasons of snobbery, rather out of respect for and addiction to sheer quality, the quest has become even more intense, more complex and less likely to end...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    I can relate to anything described there, as both friends and family state that I have enough scents to last for a lifetime and at least 3 still on the way (paid for by me, but not delivered to me yet). At any rate, once I discovered niche, and truly NOT out of reasons of snobbery, rather out of respect for and addiction to sheer quality, the quest has become even more intense, more complex and less likely to end...
    I can truly relate to this statement. I don't know where this idea of 'perfume snobbery' began. It's silly. The only thing that matters is the scent in all its stages. If they are all acceptable to you, then good! You're the boss of your collection.

Plus, the rest of your statement, my husband is starting to worry that, well, I have an AWFUL lot of this stuff. I concur. So I'm trying to mellow out & content myself with what I have a little more. But I can say that now as I have a bunch on the way & a stash of samples I haven't tried yet!
    Last edited by kumquat; 1st July 2009 at 02:37 PM.

For me it waxes and wanes. Some days I wake up with the quest in my heart and just have to buy something new---scour basenote reviews, search online for frags and deals. Other days I look at my collection and feel satisfied.

Still, nothing like the joy of unwrapping that new purchase and drinking in the scent--and then looking at the bottle and realizing you have got a lot of it!

I feel like I'm chasing unicorns. Almost each and every fragrance I buy or try I wish it were the ultimate to replace all other but no, there's always something wrong. The fragrance is too limited, one-faceted - it's too sweet, too green, too spicy, too masculine, too oriental etc. I rarely come across a fragrance that would be complex enough to be balanced and whole, rounded and harmonious. So far a few came close but they were just a handful among hundreds of samples. High expectations have lead to a sore disappointment too many times.
    I'm getting tired.

Basenotes Institution

I feel like I'm chasing unicorns. Almost each and every fragrance I buy or try I wish it were the ultimate to replace all other but no, there's always something wrong. The fragrance is too limited, one-faceted - it's too sweet, too green, too spicy, too masculine, too oriental etc. I rarely come across a fragrance that would be complex enough to be balanced and whole, rounded and harmonious. So far a few came close but they were just a handful among hundreds of samples. High expectations have lead to a sore disappointment too many times.
    I'm getting tired.
    I can relate to that Darwinia. I have gone through that phase too- then you get worn out . And money for samples can really add up !
    I am trying to enjoy what I have , I have sold about 25 % of my collection - I have lots left that I don't wear, and honestly, I probably never will ! I have stopped buying needless samples in the hope they will have the magic I am looking for when I know the magic is in Jicky and others I use regularly. Now perfume bottle collecting....ha ! another addiction I have ............
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 9th August 2009 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    I can relate to that Darwinia. I have gone through that phase too- then you get worn out . And money for samples can really add up !
    I am trying to enjoy what I have , I have sold about 25 % of my collection - I have lots left that I don't wear, and honestly, I probably never will ! I have stopped buying needless samples in the hope they will have the magic I am looking for when I know the magic is in Jicky and others I use regularly. Now perfume bottle collecting....ha ! another addiction I have ............
    Bottles sans juice? That is just impossible...

I think one of the qualities that originally drew me to perfume was its ephemeral nature and those fleeting moments of pleasure, the moods perfume brings.
    I guess that's why I'm still chasing for that perfect scent to create the perfect moment.

I'm seriously pondering over a Potlach ceremony. I sold and gave away quite a few bottles from my collection (40?) . Sampling is only a temporary solution for me because I would fall in love temporarily with a frag and would even buy it only to realise it was a bad decision after two or three weeks. My tastes are unstable, I'm unfaithful in love of fragrance, I know too well what I want and on top of that my skin chemistry changes way too quickly.

On some other occasion I think I just like too many scents for them to ever be present in one fragrance.

I sampled Jicky a few years back but it was a hideously decomposed sample (I think the bottle was basking in the sun for at least 3 years) and it almost sent me running for my life.

Basenotes Institution

Darwinia- can there be anything worse than a badly decomposed sample of Jicky- * shudders* !

Yeah, bottles sans the juice ! Keeps me on the straight and narrow and sometimes the bottles do have juice in them - so it's a two in one.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 9th August 2009 at 08:14 PM.

get help now....try fragrance anonymous!

Basenotes Institution

Talking Re: Does the Quest Ever Stop?

Quote Originally Posted by chipper View Post

*LOL* *LOL* If only !

Quote Originally Posted by chipper View Post
    Or let's try fragrance anonymousLY - let's pretend it's not us... we're not addicted.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Definitely a Comme des Garcons girl.

I think one of the qualities that originally drew me to perfume was its ephemeral nature and those fleeting moments of pleasure, the moods perfume brings.
    I struggle with that "ephemeral nature" as it's one of the things I dislike about perfume. But yeah, it does make it enjoyable, albeit fleetly, as it's in my nature to want what I cannot grasp. And it always seems that the ones I dislike the most are the ones that cling the tightest. 'Kinda a metaphor for the men in my life, actually. Luckily, I found my Holy Grail in that one area.

I'm seriously pondering over a Potlach ceremony.
    I had to look that up. The only thing Google pointed at was Potlatch ceremonies. Are they the same thing? Perhaps I should hold one as well. How strange that they used to be banned in Canada. ('Kinda a metaphor for sample swapping on Basenotes, actually. Luckily, I'm not in need of samples.)
    Last edited by Aiona; 29th December 2010 at 07:26 AM. Reason: added potlatch URL, defined "that"
    [I]"Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere."[/I] -- [URL="http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?p=1496120#post1496120"]Inselaffe[/URL]