Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Terracotta Eau Sous le Vent by Guerlain

Has anyone smelled this yet? It seems like it's only available online in Europe, not here in the US. From some comments I've read online (blogs) it's Guerlain's version of Bronze Goddess by Estee Lauder (or Azuree Soleil by Tom Ford/Lauder)

The bottle is very cute, in a kitschy retro way.

"You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Default Re: Terracotta Eau Sous le Vent by Guerlain

I smelled it at Duty Free Heathrow. It's a rather generic eau, so generic in fact, that it didn't leave a distinct impression on me.
    I do remember this: it has nothing to do with the original Terra Cotta's violet baking on tiles in the sun accord or Sous le Vent's gorgeous greenery.
    It's sold as a treatment fragrance - whatever that is.
    As far as the bottle goes, isn't it Colonge 68's with a different graphic?
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 25th April 2009 at 03:03 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    As far as the bottle goes, isn't it Colonge 68's with a different graphic?
    Thinner, but yes.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Banned

I saw it at Saks in Boston yesterday.... my arms were totally sprayed up and I was in a rush to get somewhere so I didn't take the time to spray it. A quick note on the (terrible) name - since Guerlain owns the trademarks to 'Sous le Vent' and 'Terracotta' already, they can put the names together and avoid having to register the name of the fragrance as a trademark in every country they sell to. It saves a huge amount of money in legal fees (I'm a marketing consultant).

EDIT - oddly, it wasn't located at the Guerlain counter with the Les Parisiennes and L'art et la Matiere lines but rather with the 'standard' Guerlain fragrances in the front of the store. I found that odd, especially since stuff like L'Instant and Habit Rouge Sport were at the Guerlain 'counter' (it's not really a counter, just a cosmetics stand).
    Last edited by aezikely; 26th April 2009 at 02:44 AM.

I have been looking for it. I have not seen it at Saks or Neiman's in Beverly Hills.
    I was very curious about this because of the name.
    This week I tried LPRN, Mitsouko Lotus and 180 Ans. I only really liked the 180 Ans.
    Evenstar

Basenotes Institution

I think the bottle confuses people, so not surprised it was misplaced in Saks.

There are certain fragrances, like this, that walk that thin line between a cosmetic and a fragrance. Dior has one, I can't remember the name now...but I always see it when I go to to Sephora. It's always displayed right next to the Dior sunscreens. I think it's a scented body spray that's specifically for wearing in the sun (no photo sensitivity, etc.).

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Institution

I gave this a full wearing yesterday - I doused myself with about 1.5 ml of it, since I was sure I'd have longevity issues with this (and I did).

A very natural and gentle white flower note (creamy) is mixed with that an exotic oily accord. Slightly sweet, but unlike the praline effects of some of the new Guerlains' or the fruity explosions of the new Aqua Allegoria's and Le Petite Robe Noir, this sweet note smelled more like sugar cane. Light and it wore very close to the body.

Bad news: It disappeared very quickly off of my skin. Given that most scents of this type (Bronze Goddess by EL, Shedonism by Origins) need to be over applied, I want to test this again at a even stronger dosage.

Last night, when I was at Neiman Marcus, I spied it - not on the counter with all of the fragrances, but in the glass case with all of the Terracotta makeup products (bronzers, eye makeup, etc).

I REALLY like that bottle. Coincidentally, I just ordered a bottle of the discontinued Terracotta Voile d'Ete. I've fallen in love with that one - it's a warm, carnation-based veil/skinscent type fragrance.

Eau Sous le Vent Terracota is widely sold around here. It's a summer hit, apparently. You can also get it in an oil version. It's not really supposed to be a perfume, but as a scented (tiaré) lotion to hydrate the skin and make your tan last longer. It's not really similar to Bronze Goddess (more of a fragrance IMO).

I purchased (online) the botttle picture in Haunai's (what a beautiful name!) post above. The bottle shape (a throw back to the 50s and 60's) is my favorite part of the package; it's stunning and I don't know why they dropped this style. The juice, however, is another story; much too sweet for my tastes. But, for people who enjoy high decibel carnation/muget (?), there's potential here. I wears light and has average scent life.