Code of Conduct

Default Kissing Cousins?

Wow, the very inexpensive Be Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful's Breath of God smells an awful lot like the expensive 1873 by Histoires de Parfums.
    What are your kissing cousins?

Default Re: Kissing Cousins?

It's probably too obvious to mention, but if I didn't somebody would.

Mugler Cologne <---> Creed Original Vetiver

Similar price difference too.

As for Breath of God, I sampled that and though it should be called Morning Breath of God. I got a big ol' halitosis note in there. Eck.
    Last edited by andylama; 25th April 2009 at 06:28 AM.

I'll be cptn Obvious too:

Paco Rabanne XS and Platinum Egoiste are similar enough (and you can throw Creed Himalaya in).
    Versace pour Homme and Allure Homme Sport
    Last edited by jathanas; 25th April 2009 at 06:48 AM.

Rive Gauche pour homme <---> Azzaro pour homme

Quote Originally Posted by andylama View Post
    OK, they are both aromatic fougères, but I don´t get Azzaro´s wonderful anise-ambregris combo in RG pH. They might be relatives, but no kissing cousins, IMHO!

Z Zegna Extreme and Midnight Poison

Paul Smith Story, Fendi Theroma Uomo, Mugler Cologne and Original Vetiver

F pour homme and Terre d'Hermes

Gucci pour Homme II, Hugo Boss Dark Blue and Jil Sander for Man

Annick Goutal Duel <----> Gucci PH II

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    I'll be cptn Obvious too:

Paco Rabanne XS and Platinum Egoiste are similar enough (and you can throw Creed Himalaya in).
    No way. Platinum Egoiste is entirely different, more medicinal, herbal. More Vicks vaporub-al. Paco Rabanne XS does have the same vibe, less rich, as Creed Himalaya though.
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 25th April 2009 at 05:14 PM.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Versace Pour Homme and Geir
    Unbound and ADG and Bvlgari Aqva
    XS and C. Herrera and Himalaya
    Rive Gauche and Brut and Clubman
    Azzaro and Tuscany
    Jovan Musk and Prada Infusion
    Peace ~ Markymark

Basenotes Institution

Patchouli 24 by Le Labo = Black by Bulgari
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Creed Green Irish Tweed = Davidoff Cool Water
    Creed Original Vetiver = Mugler Cologne
    Ungaro III = Serge Lutens Douce Amere
    Chanel Egoiste = Chanel Bois des Iles
    Tom Ford Private Blend Noir de Noir = Washington Tremlett Black Tie

"the very inexpensive Be Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful's Breath of God"

And where can this be procured at a "very inexpensive" price?

Quote Originally Posted by Markymark View Post
    Unbound and ADG and Bvlgari Aqva
    A few of the others on your list seem questionable, but Unbound and ADG as cousins to Bulgari Aqua? Aqua is such a more "marine" scent.

Wow, the very inexpensive Be Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful's Breath of God smells an awful lot like the expensive 1873 by Histoires de Parfums.
    What are your kissing cousins?
    Sorry Ruggles, but I have to disagree wholeheartedly. I have just done a side by side comparison, and I think they do not smell anything alike. Did you do a side by side comparison ? Going by memory is very unreliable ! ... To my nose I think 1873 is quite a nice fragrance, that smells quite lovely. Whereas "Breath of God" is probably the worst fragrance I've smelled this year, if not - ever ! ... That stuff smells like Athletes Foot Powder to me. Just awful. I will agree with Turin in that it is quite novel ... but only because nobody else would care to make a scent that is so totally off putting. It really is one of the worst scents I've smelled. I cannot imagine who would want to smell like that ? It's the only scent that I have actually recoiled from, with my entire body. .... My neighbour walked in while I was sampling it the first time. The moment she walked into the room, she said : "Phew! what smells so bad ? It smells like medicine that has gone bad. This confirmed to me that it was not just my nose that was "off". ... In fact I thought most of the BNever2B2BB collection smells just awfully "cheap" all round. The only one's I thought actually smelled kinda pleasant, were "Dear John" and "Cocktail". Whilst "Dirty" smells just like toothpaste. ... Though I have not yet sampled all of them (am missing about 3).But I don't hold up much hope for these either now. ... I mean, I do not always agree with Turin/Sanches. Though I can usually see where he is coming from, even when I don't particularly like a scent he is raving about. And I do actually tend to more often agree than not agree, with his reviews. But this particular frag, I will never understand why he rated it so highly ??? ... It's just downright unpleasant !
    Last edited by Sybarite; 25th April 2009 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sables View Post
    OK, they are both aromatic fougères, but I don´t get Azzaro´s wonderful anise-ambregris combo in RG pH. They might be relatives, but no kissing cousins, IMHO!
    Fair enough. I'm sure it comes down to the highly subjective definition of 'kissing cousins' (a vaguely creepy mental image, by the way )

I have both, and at least twice did a side-by-side smell test, and while they are easy to tell apart, they are most definitely related, even if only by genre.

Granted, Mugler Cologne and Creed OV are far more similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    Sorry Ruggles, but I have to disagree wholeheartedly. I have just done a side by side comparison, and I think they do not smell anything alike. Did you do a side by side comparison ? Going by memory is very unreliable !
    I was in Takashimaya and they have the HdP range dried down in those conical, glass scent-organs.
    I own Breath of God.
    I was taken by how the salty caramel drydown in the base of 1873 smells like the wet salty accord of BoG.
    I agree that the Turin/Sanchez high ratings of the BNTBTBB line is puzzling, I agree they smell cheap. But I do like Breath of God mainly for the fact that it smells raw and natural.
    BTW, I said they are kissing cousins, not incestuous twins.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 25th April 2009 at 11:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    "the very inexpensive Be Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful's Breath of God"

And where can this be procured at a "very inexpensive" price?
    Unfortunately, it requires a trip to London.

Blog Entries

I just read about this B2Busy....(annoying name) in the guide. So it sounds like I'm not missing anything. That's something that bugged me about the first one. I ended up trying the Jewchristbudistmonk or whatever. Oh boy, what a waste of time & $. He has really sent me on some goose chases in the past.

Where does he find these obscure & not very good frags? What's the dang deal?

Tommy Bahama - Dirty English - Gucci PH - CDG2Man
    Realities - D&G PH
    Fujiyama PH - L'eau D'Issey PH
    Last edited by maksidrom; 25th April 2009 at 11:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I just read about this B2Busy....(annoying name) in the guide. So it sounds like I'm not missing anything. That's something that bugged me about the first one. I ended up trying the Jewchristbudistmonk or whatever. Oh boy, what a waste of time & $. He has really sent me on some goose chases in the past.

Where does he find these obscure & not very good frags? What's the dang deal?
    In the first volume of The Guide Turin mistakenly reported Inhale and Exhale by BNTB as ****, second coming fragrances, created by Parfum d'Empire.
    I kind of think all the recent hype/chatter is their way of saving face.
    I say to T&S, come clean and admit that you're both prejudiced by labels, just like all of us.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 26th April 2009 at 02:38 AM.

Salvador Dali Pour Homme & Kouros

Not identical of course but each can be considered an interesting variation of the other with Kouros the more straight ahead of the two. SDPH is "sweeter" but these are definite cousins (kissing or not).

The newest(and closest) kissing cousin discovery for me is:
    NEW WEST and OSCAR FOR MEN

There are also:
    4711 and CASTILE
    LP9 and OPIUM PH EDP
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Definitely cousins. It was the second thing to come to my mind when smelling Rive. Kouros was first. That would probably be kissing brothers.

XS and Himalaya is one of the few cousins of a Creed I agree with. Identical cousins.

Lacoste Elegance <==> Gucci PH II

M7<==>Guerlain Heritage

Lolita Lempicka L <==>Bulgari Black<==>Rochas Man

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Rive Gauche pH ~ Brut Original (chained long-necked bottle)
    Paco Rabanne XS ~ Creed Himalaya
    YSL Kouros ~ Balenciaga pH
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    Annick Goutal Duel <----> Gucci PH II

No way. Platinum Egoiste is entirely different, more medicinal, herbal. More Vicks vaporub-al. Paco Rabanne XS does have the same vibe, less rich, as Creed Himalaya though.

Yes way! To my nose anyway

Unusual and strange discovery but Gucci Envy is a more distant, yet still passionately kissing cousin (at least to my nose) of the whole Opium PH range by YSL (including the EDP and the Eau d'Orient version), i guess it's all about the slightly sweet, slightly woody spiciness.
    Also Antaeus is more or less related to quite a few classic, old-school yet at the same time powerhouse leathery scents as Knize 10, Fendi Uomo and Trussardi Uomo.

Bowling Green is closely related to both Colors for Men by Benetton and Baby Blue Jeans by Versace.
    (I'm not sure, but I think this bunch may be from Arkansas.)
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 26th April 2009 at 11:44 AM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I think I must be having a problem quite understanding this whole concept of "kissing cousins" here. I was under the impression that it meant that one scent was similar enough to the other, so that they smell almost the same ? Isn't that the whole idea here ? Well the only ones I've agreed with so far here , is that Creeds GIT and Cool Water are certainly very similar.(And the Original Vetiver / Mugler Cologne connection, I can also see the strong similarities !) ... But the rest ???? Whao ??? ... I really am having a problem "seeing" or agreeing with most of the comments on here.
    I cannot see any similarity, at all, between M7 and Heritage ???. ... And I think Lolita Lempika L, Bulgari Black and Rochas Man could not be any more different from each other, if they tried. (Worlds apart !) To my nose there is not the slightest similarity between them, at all ! (Well maybe just the vanilla, at the very end !) But otherwise they smell totally different, (to my nose, anyway! )
    Well ... noses and the difference in our sense of smell, between each individual. Must have a far greater difference from one another, than I had ever imagined. (Or even thought possible !?!) If it's that possible that these can smell similar to you guys ???? ... I just don't know, it's really beyond me. I find it all very fascinating ! But quite frustrating too ! How can that be possible ????
    (I think in this case ... that the poster above = "DELMAR", and I , must have quite "similar noses" then. As he's comparisons are the only one's I actually agree with ! And can see clearly (smell clearly ??? ) lol) his "kissing cousins" !
    Last edited by Sybarite; 26th April 2009 at 05:45 PM.

I think I must be having a problem quite understanding this whole concept of "kissing cousins" here. I was under the impression that it meant that one scent was similar enough to the other, so that they smell almost the same ? Isn't that the whole idea here ? Well the only ones I've agreed with so far here , is that Creeds GIT and Cool Water are certainly very similar.(And the Original Vetiver / Mugler Cologne connection, I can also see the strong similarities !) ... But the rest ???? Whao ??? ... I really am having a problem "seeing" or agreeing with most of the comments on here.
    I cannot see any similarity, at all, between M7 and Heritage ???. ... And I think Lolita Lempika L, Bulgari Black and Rochas Man could not be any more different from each other, if they tried. (Worlds apart !) To my nose there is not the slightest similarity between them, at all ! (Well maybe just the vanilla, at the very end !) But otherwise they smell totally different, (to my nose, anyway! )
    I took it to mean scents so similar that adding a note or two or taking a few away and they'd be very close.

I smell the dominating, overpowering smoky vanilla that ties L, Black and Rochas Man together. I personally can't stand either 3 and it's that similarity that drives me away from them. It's there from start to finish, nauseating me the entire time and I guess I don't care to smell the differences.

My M7 and Heritage cousin is based on the dry-down of both. The wonderful, spicy, woodiness is why I enjoy both.

And GIT and Coolwater / Mugler and Original Vetiver aren't very similar to me (other than the soapiness of the latter) and you smell the similarities there? I don't know what to tell you. Maybe different noses have sensitivities to different notes.
    Last edited by PorkFat; 26th April 2009 at 10:40 PM.

I find a bigger connection betwee heritage and BdP than heritage and M7
    but thats me
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Quote Originally Posted by Hasupk@gmail.com View Post
    I find a bigger connection betwee heritage and BdP than heritage and M7
    but thats me
    M7 is a long lasting fragrance and I think you'll smell it once it's worn down a bit. But yes, I see the BdP/Heritage connection.

And I'll preempt Creed's VIW, which in my opinion doesn't have a cousin despite people saying Coconut Lime Verbena, Bahiana and Bronze Goddess being up there, maybe 2nd cousins twice removed imho.
    Last edited by PorkFat; 26th April 2009 at 10:32 PM.

Clive Christian X Women -=-=-=- Gucci Rush

L'Artisan Perfumerie Ambre Extreme -=-=-=- Le Labo's Labdanum

Recently, I found the drydowns of Antaeus and Realm Men to be similar. The only major difference I can detect is that RM has a bit of the sharp lavender that sticks around, but otherwise they both have that warm, slightly sweet, highly-blended quality.

Terre D'hermes - Red Vetyver

Paco Rabanne - Great Jones

Also I recently mentioned that I found the Chinatown drydown to be similar to the Animale Animale for men one.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 27th April 2009 at 03:48 AM.

*KC = Kissing cousins

Cartier DecalarationKC to St Dupont Ph KC to Sean John Unforgivable
    L'Artisan Parfumer Voleur du roses KC to Montale Oudh Damscus
    Ormond Jayne Man KC to Creed Silver mountain water
    Ormond Jayne Isfarkand KC to Montale Red Vetyver
    Tauers Vetiver Dance KC to Serge Lutens Chergui
    Gaultiers Le Male KC to Jacomo Rouge
    Nikos Sculpture KC to Man.Aubusson
    Lalique's Encre Noir KC to Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire
    +
    many more

(I think in this case ... that the poster above = "DELMAR", and I , must have quite "similar noses" then. As he's comparisons are the only one's I actually agree with ! And can see clearly (smell clearly ??? ) lol) his "kissing cousins" !
    HA! (thanks )

I was stretching the "kissing cousin" idea with some of them, I know - but they do give a similar vibe IMO.

Oh, another recent one: Stetson is the male version of Lutece.

From my experience:

Tommy Bahama & Gucci PH
    Green Irish Tweed & Coolwater
    Havana & Montana Parfum D'Homme
    Oscar DLR Pour Lui & Kiehls Pour Homme Oil
    Mugler Cologne & Creed Original Vetiver
    Unbound & Acqua di Gio
    Bois du Portgual & Nicolai New York
    Le Male & Jaipur Pour Homme
    Last edited by Moneysuckle; 21st July 2009 at 03:24 PM.

Mugler Cologne <---> Creed Original Vetiver
    i would compare Creeds OV's opening to Adolfo D's Vetiver Hombre; mids to Mugler a bit but thn it changes completely with not a hint of soapiness....

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    Paco Rabanne XS and Platinum Egoiste
    agreed. i felt the same way. only difference being PE is much more exicting as a daily wear..isnt tiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Delmar View Post
    Ungaro III = Serge Lutens Douce Amere
    no way brother

Quote Originally Posted by funraiser18 View Post
    Terre D'hermes - Red Vetyver
    +2

new additions from my end:

Le Lubin's Le Vetyver smells just like Guerlain Vetiver minus the incense
    Last edited by jenson; 21st July 2009 at 03:55 PM.

Cacharel Nemo and Azzaro Visit.

Maybe a touch closer than "kissing cousins". More like Nemo is Visits, more sensual older brother.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Thumbs up Re: Kissing Cousins?

Bond no. 9's H.O.T. Always = Givenchy Gentlemen

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    i would compare Creeds OV's opening to Adolfo D's Vetiver Hombre;
    +1

I tried OV from a sample and found it very similar to VH. I like VH, but I expected OV to be more impressive considering the price tag.

Quote Originally Posted by Moneysuckle View Post
    From my experience:

Le Male & Jaipur Pour Homme
    I do NOT get this at all. Jaipur is very powdery and is missing that huge lavander that is in Le Male.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I do NOT get this at all. Jaipur is very powdery and is missing that huge lavander that is in Le Male.
    Perhaps so. I used to own Le Male and wore it occasionally. I once tested Jaipur (at Sephora I think, or maybe a tester from Niemann Marcus) awhile back.

I remember thinking - "This smells a lot like Le Male." Not identical. But close enough that I couldn't justify the purchase.